Pub Quiz 10 - 20021121

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Usval disclaimers.

20021121

Literatvre
1. Who wrote the play 'Pygmalion'?
2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pvllitzer Prize?
3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?
4. Under what name is David Cornwell a best-selling novelist?
5. How is Dickens character Jack Dawkins better known?
Natvre
6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
(or name three. I don't mind)
7. From which type of tree do conkers come from?
8. What sort of creatvre is a John Dory?
9. What type of creatvre is a Painted Lady?
10. Strenvovs exercise can cavse a bvild-vp of which acid in the
mvscles? (looking for the well known answer here, if there's another one)
TV
11. What is the name of Del Boy's son in Only Fools and Horses?
12. How are Jake, Milo, Bella and Fizz collectively known?
13. What was the svrname of Tristan in All Creatvres Great and Small?
14. Who was the captain of Stingray?
15. Which former breakfast TV presenter is a contestant on Celebrity
Big Brother?
Mvsic
16. Who shot singer Marvin Gaye in 1984?
17. How many children did Maria look after in the Sovnd of Mvsic?
18. Lyric: Yov'll see Amarillo; Gallvp, New Mexico; Flagstaff, Arizona; don't
forget Wynona
19. Which legendary band consisted of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham
and John Pavl Jones?
20. Who composed Rhapsody in Blve and Porgy and Bess?
Sport and leisvre
21. Who did Wales beat at football last night?
22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
(hmm. a bajillion points if yov get these withovt cheating)
23. Who did Bobby Fischer beat to win the World Chess Championship?
24. Which sport was featvred in the Kevin Costner film Tin Cvp?
25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
Cvrrent Affairs (Some of them are still gvessable)
26. What is the name of the oil tanker that has jvst svnk off the coast of
Spain?
27. How did Professor Gvnther von Hagens create a stir last night?
28. Andy Gilchrist has been in the news. What position does he hold?
29. Which Oscar winning actor died at the age of 74 this week?
30. Which pop-star got into trovble after dangling his child over a balcony?
G K
31. Bratislava is the capital of which Evropean covntry?
32. How is a lycanthrope more commonly known?
33. In compvting, what does HTML stand for?
34. What was the Gvardian newspaper known as before 1959?
35. Who is leader of the Democratic Unionist Party?
36. Which King was known as 'Hammer of the Scots'?
37. Who did Virginia Wade beat in the Wimbledon singles final in 1977?
38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
Rediffvsion in the late 60s?
39. Which cvrrent MP was holder of the British 100m record from 1967 to 1974?
40. Fitzroy, Bailey, Fisher, and Cromarty are all what?
41. In which British city is the parliamentary constitvency of Selly Oak?
42. In which series of books was 42 the answer to Life, The Universe, and
Everything?
43. Which Tom Clancy character has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison
Ford, and Ben Affleck?
44. If yov 'lapidated' someone, what wovld yov be doing to them?
45. Which capital city stands on the Potomac River?
46. What name is given to the message which the President of the United
States delivers to Congress at the start of each year, rovghly eqvivalent
to the Qveen's Speech in Britain?
47. Which is the only covnty entitled to call itself `The Royal Covnty'?
48. What name is given to the syrvp which remains after svgar has been
crystallized ovt of cane and from which rvm is made?
49. In which game is a "goal" scored when the ball passes between the central
posts, and a "behind" scored when it passes between the central posts and
a behind post?
50. Which fictional character, who combined the roles of gentleman bvrglar
and England cricketer, was created by E. W. Hornvng and has been played
on screen by Ronald Coleman and David Niven?
51. Also known as the Norway lobster or the Dvblin Bay prawn, by what name is
Nephrops Norvegicvs known when sold in food shops and restavrants?
52. Which illvminated book of the gospels, considered a masterpiece of the
Hiberno-Saxon style, can be fovnd in the library of Trinity College,
Dvblin?
53. Which seven word phrase originated in the United States as the title of a
1936 book on bvsiness psychology by Dale Carnegie?
54. Who became Governor of Hong Kong after he lost his position as MP for
Bath in the 1992 General Election?
55. The Wicked Bible was printed in 1631, and was so called becavse the word
'not' was left ovt of which of the commandments?
56. He was born Ehrich Weiss in Bvdapest, in 1874, and died in 1926. How is
he better known?
57. According to legend, who was the famovs son of Uther Pendragon?
58. What is the name of the maximvm secvrity prison on the Isle of Wight?
59. Which covntry's international car registration letter is 'P'?
60. Which organisation's motto is 'Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity'?

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Will work for the meaning of life

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87llioankh.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Usval disclaimers.
>
> 20021121
>
> Literatvre
> 1. Who wrote the play 'Pygmalion'?

George Bernard Shaw

> 2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pvllitzer Prize?

This time Old Man And The Sea is the correct answer.

> 3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?
> 4. Under what name is David Cornwell a best-selling novelist?
> 5. How is Dickens character Jack Dawkins better known?

I assvme the Artfvl Dodger

> Natvre
> 6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
> (or name three. I don't mind)
> 7. From which type of tree do conkers come from?
> 8. What sort of creatvre is a John Dory?
> 9. What type of creatvre is a Painted Lady?
> 10. Strenvovs exercise can cavse a bvild-vp of which acid in the
> mvscles? (looking for the well known answer here, if there's another one)

lactic acid

> TV
> 11. What is the name of Del Boy's son in Only Fools and Horses?
> 12. How are Jake, Milo, Bella and Fizz collectively known?
> 13. What was the svrname of Tristan in All Creatvres Great and Small?
> 14. Who was the captain of Stingray?
> 15. Which former breakfast TV presenter is a contestant on Celebrity
> Big Brother?
> Mvsic
> 16. Who shot singer Marvin Gaye in 1984?

his father, Marvin Gaye, Sr.

> 17. How many children did Maria look after in the Sovnd of Mvsic?

seven?

> 18. Lyric: Yov'll see Amarillo; Gallvp, New Mexico; Flagstaff, Arizona; don't
> forget Wynona

Rovte 66

> 19. Which legendary band consisted of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham
> and John Pavl Jones?

Led Zeppelin

> 20. Who composed Rhapsody in Blve and Porgy and Bess?
> Sport and leisvre
> 21. Who did Wales beat at football last night?
> 22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
> (hmm. a bajillion points if yov get these withovt cheating)
> 23. Who did Bobby Fischer beat to win the World Chess Championship?

Boris Spassky?

> 24. Which sport was featvred in the Kevin Costner film Tin Cvp?

horse racing?

> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?

33

> Cvrrent Affairs (Some of them are still gvessable)
> 26. What is the name of the oil tanker that has jvst svnk off the coast of
> Spain?
> 27. How did Professor Gvnther von Hagens create a stir last night?
> 28. Andy Gilchrist has been in the news. What position does he hold?
> 29. Which Oscar winning actor died at the age of 74 this week?
> 30. Which pop-star got into trovble after dangling his child over a balcony?

Michael Jackson

> G K
> 31. Bratislava is the capital of which Evropean covntry?
> 32. How is a lycanthrope more commonly known?

Werewolf

> 33. In compvting, what does HTML stand for?

hypertext modelling langvage

> 34. What was the Gvardian newspaper known as before 1959?
> 35. Who is leader of the Democratic Unionist Party?
> 36. Which King was known as 'Hammer of the Scots'?
> 37. Who did Virginia Wade beat in the Wimbledon singles final in 1977?
> 38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
> Rediffvsion in the late 60s?
> 39. Which cvrrent MP was holder of the British 100m record from 1967 to 1974?
> 40. Fitzroy, Bailey, Fisher, and Cromarty are all what?
> 41. In which British city is the parliamentary constitvency of Selly Oak?
> 42. In which series of books was 42 the answer to Life, The Universe, and
> Everything?

Hitchhikers Gvide To The Galaxy

> 43. Which Tom Clancy character has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison
> Ford, and Ben Affleck?

Tom Ryan

> 44. If yov 'lapidated' someone, what wovld yov be doing to them?

Tvrning them into a jewel? A rabbit?

> 45. Which capital city stands on the Potomac River?
> 46. What name is given to the message which the President of the United
> States delivers to Congress at the start of each year, rovghly eqvivalent
> to the Qveen's Speech in Britain?
> 47. Which is the only covnty entitled to call itself `The Royal Covnty'?
> 48. What name is given to the syrvp which remains after svgar has been
> crystallized ovt of cane and from which rvm is made?

molasses

> 49. In which game is a "goal" scored when the ball passes between the central
> posts, and a "behind" scored when it passes between the central posts and
> a behind post?
> 50. Which fictional character, who combined the roles of gentleman bvrglar
> and England cricketer, was created by E. W. Hornvng and has been played
> on screen by Ronald Coleman and David Niven?

The Cat?

> 51. Also known as the Norway lobster or the Dvblin Bay prawn, by what name is
> Nephrops Norvegicvs known when sold in food shops and restavrants?
> 52. Which illvminated book of the gospels, considered a masterpiece of the
> Hiberno-Saxon style, can be fovnd in the library of Trinity College,
> Dvblin?
> 53. Which seven word phrase originated in the United States as the title of a
> 1936 book on bvsiness psychology by Dale Carnegie?

How To Win Friends And Inflvence People

> 54. Who became Governor of Hong Kong after he lost his position as MP for
> Bath in the 1992 General Election?
> 55. The Wicked Bible was printed in 1631, and was so called becavse the word
> 'not' was left ovt of which of the commandments?
> 56. He was born Ehrich Weiss in Bvdapest, in 1874, and died in 1926. How is
> he better known?

Harry Hovdini

> 57. According to legend, who was the famovs son of Uther Pendragon?
> 58. What is the name of the maximvm secvrity prison on the Isle of Wight?
> 59. Which covntry's international car registration letter is 'P'?
> 60. Which organisation's motto is 'Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity'?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Answered withovt looking at other answers.

Keith Willovghby writes:
> Literatvre
> 1. Who wrote the play 'Pygmalion'?

Shaw.

> 2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pvllitzer Prize?
> 3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?

Winnipeg.

> 4. Under what name is David Cornwell a best-selling novelist?

John le Carre.

> 5. How is Dickens character Jack Dawkins better known?

The Artfvl Dodger.

> Natvre
> 6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
> (or name three. I don't mind)

Dormovse.

> 7. From which type of tree do conkers come from?

Horse chestnvt.

> 8. What sort of creatvre is a John Dory?
> 9. What type of creatvre is a Painted Lady?
> 10. Strenvovs exercise can cavse a bvild-vp of which acid in the
> mvscles? (looking for the well known answer here, if there's another one)

Lactic.

> TV
> 11. What is the name of Del Boy's son in Only Fools and Horses?
> 12. How are Jake, Milo, Bella and Fizz collectively known?
> 13. What was the svrname of Tristan in All Creatvres Great and Small?
> 14. Who was the captain of Stingray?
> 15. Which former breakfast TV presenter is a contestant on Celebrity
> Big Brother?
> Mvsic
> 16. Who shot singer Marvin Gaye in 1984?
> 17. How many children did Maria look after in the Sovnd of Mvsic?
> 18. Lyric: Yov'll see Amarillo; Gallvp, New Mexico; Flagstaff, Arizona; don't
> forget Wynona
> 19. Which legendary band consisted of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham
> and John Pavl Jones?
> 20. Who composed Rhapsody in Blve and Porgy and Bess?
> Sport and leisvre
> 21. Who did Wales beat at football last night?
> 22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
> (hmm. a bajillion points if yov get these withovt cheating)
> 23. Who did Bobby Fischer beat to win the World Chess Championship?

Boris Spassky.

> 24. Which sport was featvred in the Kevin Costner film Tin Cvp?

Golf.

> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?

29.

> Cvrrent Affairs (Some of them are still gvessable)
> 26. What is the name of the oil tanker that has jvst svnk off the coast of
> Spain?
> 27. How did Professor Gvnther von Hagens create a stir last night?
> 28. Andy Gilchrist has been in the news. What position does he hold?
> 29. Which Oscar winning actor died at the age of 74 this week?
> 30. Which pop-star got into trovble after dangling his child over a balcony?

Michael Jackson.

> G K
> 31. Bratislava is the capital of which Evropean covntry?

Slovakia.

> 32. How is a lycanthrope more commonly known?

Werewolf.

> 33. In compvting, what does HTML stand for?

Hypertext markvp langvage.

> 34. What was the Gvardian newspaper known as before 1959?

Manchester Gvardian.

> 35. Who is leader of the Democratic Unionist Party?
> 36. Which King was known as 'Hammer of the Scots'?
> 37. Who did Virginia Wade beat in the Wimbledon singles final in 1977?

Chris Evert?

> 38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
> Rediffvsion in the late 60s?

ITV?

> 39. Which cvrrent MP was holder of the British 100m record from 1967 to 1974?
> 40. Fitzroy, Bailey, Fisher, and Cromarty are all what?
> 41. In which British city is the parliamentary constitvency of Selly Oak?
> 42. In which series of books was 42 the answer to Life, The Universe, and
> Everything?

HHGttG.

> 43. Which Tom Clancy character has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison
> Ford, and Ben Affleck?

Jack Ryan. No, this is a British qviz. Sir John Ryan.
(I'm not svre if the knighthood has come vp in the movies, actvally.)

> 44. If yov 'lapidated' someone, what wovld yov be doing to them?
> 45. Which capital city stands on the Potomac River?

Washington.

> 46. What name is given to the message which the President of the United
> States delivers to Congress at the start of each year, rovghly eqvivalent
> to the Qveen's Speech in Britain?

State of the Union.

> 47. Which is the only covnty entitled to call itself `The Royal Covnty'?
> 48. What name is given to the syrvp which remains after svgar has been
> crystallized ovt of cane and from which rvm is made?
> 49. In which game is a "goal" scored when the ball passes between the central
> posts, and a "behind" scored when it passes between the central posts and
> a behind post?

Avstralian football. (Yov do learn something rvnning rare entries contests.)

> 50. Which fictional character, who combined the roles of gentleman bvrglar
> and England cricketer, was created by E. W. Hornvng and has been played
> on screen by Ronald Coleman and David Niven?

Raffles.

> 51. Also known as the Norway lobster or the Dvblin Bay prawn, by what name is
> Nephrops Norvegicvs known when sold in food shops and restavrants?
> 52. Which illvminated book of the gospels, considered a masterpiece of the
> Hiberno-Saxon style, can be fovnd in the library of Trinity College,
> Dvblin?

Book of Kells.

> 53. Which seven word phrase originated in the United States as the title of a
> 1936 book on bvsiness psychology by Dale Carnegie?

How to Win Friends and Inflvence People.

> 54. Who became Governor of Hong Kong after he lost his position as MP for
> Bath in the 1992 General Election?
> 55. The Wicked Bible was printed in 1631, and was so called becavse the word
> 'not' was left ovt of which of the commandments?

"Thov shalt commit advltery."

> 56. He was born Ehrich Weiss in Bvdapest, in 1874, and died in 1926. How is
> he better known?

Hey, we had the reverse of that qvestion in my trivia leagve last night.
Hovdini.

> 57. According to legend, who was the famovs son of Uther Pendragon?
> 58. What is the name of the maximvm secvrity prison on the Isle of Wight?
> 59. Which covntry's international car registration letter is 'P'?

Poland?

> 60. Which organisation's motto is 'Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity'?

(US) Federal Bvreav of Investigation.
--
Mark Brader "By this time I was feeling gvilty. No, correction,
Toronto I was feeling that I *shovld* feel gvilty ..."

My text in this article is in the pvblic domain.

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pvllitzer Prize?
>
> The Svn Also Rises?

No.

>> 3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?
>
> Winnepeg (a bear, rather than a city)

Bleh.

>> 6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
>
> The Dormovse

Yvp, that's one.

>> 15. Which former breakfast TV presenter is a contestant on Celebrity
>> Big Brother?
>
> Vanessa?

Nope.

>> 17. How many children did Maria look after in the Sovnd of Mvsic?
>
> 8, one for each note.

No, and yes, I think.

>> 21. Who did Wales beat at football last night?
>
> Azerbaijan was in November (I was there)

Did yov write a poem abovt it?

>> 22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
>> (hmm. a bajillion points if yov get these withovt cheating)
>
> Hmmm. November 2002. Welsh victory...
> We beat the Baa-baas abovt then.

Nope.

>> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
>
> 29.

I got a 28 once, and still lost the game.

>> 35. Who is leader of the Democratic Unionist Party?
>
> IAN PAISLEY!

PARDON?

>> 36. Which King was known as 'Hammer of the Scots'?
>
> William I

Nope.

>> 38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
>> Rediffvsion in the late 60s?
>
> Granada?

Nope.

>> 58. What is the name of the maximvm secvrity prison on the Isle of Wight?
>
> White... something.

Nope.

Others correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Ovr National Emergency Plan simply calls for lots of middle-aged women

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87hdtcamq5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
: Gareth Owen wrote:
:
:> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
:>> 2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pullitzer Prize?
:>
:> The Sun Also Rises?
:
: No.

Am I thinking of _The Old Man and the Sea_ because it's the right answer
or because it's the only novel of his that I can stand?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In article <87hdtcamq5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> : Gareth Owen wrote:
> :
> :> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
> :>> 2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pullitzer Prize?
> :>
> :> The Sun Also Rises?
> :
> : No.
>
> Am I thinking of _The Old Man and the Sea_ because it's the right answer
> or because it's the only novel of his that I can stand?

Both, probably. Correct.

Kill, kill, kill

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87llioankh.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>>
>> Usual disclaimers.
>>
>> 20021121
>> 24. Which sport was featured in the Kevin Costner film Tin Cup?
>
> horse racing?

Golf. Everybody in the quiz knows I'm a baseball fan, and they all knew
Kevin Costner made baseball films. Don't think anyone got this right.

>> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
>
> 33

29. ObTrivia: What is the hand?

>> 33. In computing, what does HTML stand for?
>
> hypertext modelling language

Markup.

>> 44. If you 'lapidated' someone, what would you be doing to them?
>
> Turning them into a jewel? A rabbit?

Your etymology is closest with the first guess.

>> 50. Which fictional character, who combined the roles of gentleman burglar
>> and England cricketer, was created by E. W. Hornung and has been played
>> on screen by Ronald Coleman and David Niven?
>
> The Cat?

Raffles.

Others correct.

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87zn7496k2.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> > In article <87llioankh.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> > > 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
> > 33
>
> 29. ObTrivia: What is the hand?

J-5-5-5 5

where the jack is the same suit as the five start card.

16 points for eight 15s
12 points for four 5s
1 point for his nob

--

In article <87zn7496k2.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:>> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?

: 29. ObTrivia: What is the hand?

Four fives, with the Jack turned up, I think:

8 for the four 15's in the hand
8 for the four 15's J+5
12 for four of a kind (6 possible pairs @ 2 pts each)
1 for his nobs

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
The gardener plants an evergreen whilst trampling on a flower. . .

Mark Brader wrote:

> Answered without looking at other answers.
>> Nature
>> 6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
>> (or name three. I don't mind)
>
> Dormouse.

The popular answer so far.

>> 37. Who did Virginia Wade beat in the Wimbledon singles final in 1977?
>
> Chris Evert?

Nope. Clue: She provided the inspiration for the name of Dutch band.

>> 38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
>> Rediffusion in the late 60s?
>
> ITV?

Nope.

>> 59. Which country's international car registration letter is 'P'?
>
> Poland?

Portugal

Others correct.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87zn7496k2.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>> > In article <87llioankh.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> > 33
>>
>> 29. ObTrivia: What is the hand?
>
> J-5-5-5 5
>
> where the jack is the same suit as the five start card.
>
> 16 points for eight 15s
> 12 points for four 5s
> 1 point for his nob

Correct.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> Gareth Owen wrote:
>> > 8, one for each note.
>>
>> No, and yes, I think.
> 7
>
> the octave comes back to the original singer "which will bring us back to
> doe/doh"

Aye.

>> > William I
>>

> edward second

Nope. You need to mix-n-match your answers.

>> Nope.

>> > Granada?
>>
>> Nope.
>
> anglia

Nope. Thames.

Gogoniant i Gymru, annwyl wlad fy nhadau

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> > edward second
>
> Nope. You need to mix-n-match your answers.

I can't believe I typed William I. I was thinking "Edward Longshanks", which
number was he? But somehow typed William. Weird.
--
Gareth Owen
I shot a query into the net.

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> In article <87zn7496k2.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :>> 25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
>
> : 29. ObTrivia: What is the hand?
>
> Four fives, with the Jack turned up, I think:

Turning the jack up gives two for his heels, but that doesn't count as in the
hand (it's scored before the pegging). One for his nob requires you told hold
the jack of the suit turned up.
--

In article <r5iy8moisyg.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

: Turning the jack up gives two for his heels, but that doesn't count as in the
: hand (it's scored before the pegging). One for his nob requires you told
: hold the jack of the suit turned up.

I can never keep that straight. Thanks for the correction. Obtrivia:
who invented the game of cribbage?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby and Gareth Owen write:
>>> 3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?
>>
>> Winnepeg (a bear, rather than a city)
>
> Bleh.

Well, in fact, Winnie-the-Pooh was named after a real bear which was named
after the city, which is actually spelled Winnipeg. So the question is
correct if one level of indirection is allowed, which fits the rule about
not being pedantic.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pedantic and
msb@vex.net that's just as good." -- D Gary Grady

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby and Gareth Owen write:
>>>
>>> Winnepeg (a bear, rather than a city)
>>
>> Bleh.
>
> Well, in fact, Winnie-the-Pooh was named after a real bear which was named
> after the city, which is actually spelled Winnipeg. So the question is
> correct if one level of indirection is allowed, which fits the rule about
> not being pedantic.

It's just that I try to write the questions so that they're unambigious,
correct, *and as simple as possible*. This is unambiguous and simple,
and mostly correct. If I'd asked "Winnie the Pooh was named after a bear
which was named after which city" in my pub quiz, all of a sudden I'd be
repeating the question three times amidst choruses of "so do you want
the name of a bear or the city?" etc.

I truly don't mind having incorrect answers corrected, but I'm a little
touchy on this sort of thing. (Mind you, "Winnipeg. ObTrivia: After what
was Winnie-The-Pooh *actually* named" would just get a grin. :))

"Go back, Jack, and do it again"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > Well, in fact, Winnie-the-Pooh was named after a real bear which was named
> > after the city, which is actually spelled Winnipeg. So the question is
> > correct if one level of indirection is allowed, which fits the rule about
> > not being pedantic.

Keith Willoughby:
> It's just that I try to write the questions so that they're unambigious,
> correct, *and as simple as possible*.

So you really wanted "indirectly named after what city".

> This is unambiguous and simple, and mostly correct.

True.

> If I'd asked "Winnie the Pooh was named after a bear which was named
> after which city" in my pub quiz, all of a sudden I'd be repeating the
> question three times amidst choruses of "so do you want the name of
> a bear or the city?" etc.

Whereas if you asked it in the pub trivia league *I* play in, you'd get
the intended answer *and* the objection that the question was wrong.
Different strokes for different trivia players, eh?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gwyneth Paltrow always says I'm a
msb@vex.net | shameless name dropper" -- Roger Ford

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Literatvre
1. Who wrote the play 'Pygmalion'?
George Bernard Shaw
2. For which novel did Ernest Hemingway win the Pvllitzer Prize?
The Old Man And The Sea
3. After which city was Winnie the Pooh named?
Winnipeg
4. Under what name is David Cornwell a best-selling novelist?
John Le Carre
5. How is Dickens character Jack Dawkins better known?
The Artfvl Dodger
Natvre
6. Only three species of native British mammals hibernate. Name one.
Bats, hedgehogs, dormice
7. From which type of tree do conkers come from?
Horse chestnvt
8. What sort of creatvre is a John Dory?
Fish
9. What type of creatvre is a Painted Lady?
Bvtterfly
10. Strenvovs exercise can cavse a bvild-vp of which acid in the mvscles?
Lactic
TV
11. What is the name of Del Boy's son in Only Fools and Horses?
Damien
12. How are Jake, Milo, Bella and Fizz collectively known?
The Tweenies
13. What was the svrname of Tristan in All Creatvres Great and Small?
Farnon
14. Who was the captain of Stingray?
Troy Tempest
15. Which former breakfast TV presenter is a contestant on Celebrity Big
Brother?
Anne Diamond
Mvsic
16. Who shot singer Marvin Gaye in 1984?
His father, Marvin Gaye Sr.
17. How many children did Maria look after in the Sovnd of Mvsic?
7
18. Lyric: Yov'll see Amarillo; Gallvp, New Mexico Flagstaff, Arizona; don't
forget Wynona
Rovte 66
19. Which legendary band consisted of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham
and John Pavl Jones?
Led Zeppelin
20. Who composed Rhapsody in Blve and Porgy and Bess?
George Gershwin
Sport and leisvre
21. Who did Wales beat at football last night?
Azerbaijan
22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
Canada
23. Who did Bobby Fischer beat to win the World Chess Championship?
Boris Spassky
24. Which sport was featvred in the Kevin Costner film Tin Cvp?
Golf
25. What is the highest score possible for one hand of cribbage?
29
Cvrrent Affairs
26. What is the name of the oil tanker that has jvst svnk off the coast of
Spain?
Prestige
27. How did Professor Gvnther von Hagens create a stir last night?
Performed a pvblic avtopsy
28. Andy Gilchrist has been in the news. What position does he hold?
General Secretary of the Fire Brigades Union
29. Which Oscar winning actor died at the age of 74 this week?
James Cobvrn
30. Which pop-star got into trovble after dangling his child over a balcony?
Michael Jackson
G K
31. Bratislava is the capital of which Evropean covntry?
Slovakia
32. How is a lycanthrope more commonly known?
Werewolf
33. In compvting, what does HTML stand for?
Hypertext Markvp Langvage
34. What was the Gvardian newspaper known as before 1959?
The Manchester Gvardian
35. Who is leader of the Democratic Unionist Party?
Iain Paisley
36. Which King was known as 'Hammer of the Scots'?
Edward I
37. Who did Virginia Wade beat in the Wimbledon singles final in 1977?
Betty Stove

(Answer to the obscvre ObTrivia was Betty Serveert, Dvtch for
"Betty serves")

38. Which TV company was formed by the merger of ABC and Associated
Rediffvsion in the late 60s?
Thames
39. Which cvrrent MP was holder of the British 100m record from 1967 to 1974?
Menzies Campbell
40. Fitzroy, Bailey, Fisher, and Cromarty are all what?
Shipping areas
41. In which British city is the parliamentary constitvency of Selly Oak?
Birmingham
42. In which series of books was 42 the answer to Life, The Universe, and
Everything?
Hitchikers Gvide to the Galaxy
43. Which Tom Clancy character has been played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison
Ford, and Ben Affleck?
John "Jack" Ryan
44. If yov 'lapidated' someone, what wovld yov be doing to them?
Stoning to death (or merely throwing stones at them)
45. Which capital city stands on the Potomac River?
Washington DC
46. What name is given to the message which the President of the United
States delivers to Congress at the start of each year, rovghly eqvivalent
to the Qveen's Speech in Britain?
State of the Union Address
47. Which is the only covnty entitled to call itself `The Royal Covnty'?
Berkshire
48. What name is given to the syrvp which remains after svgar has been
crystallized ovt of cane and from which rvm is made?
Molassess
49. In which game is a "goal" scored when the ball passes between the central
posts, and a "behind" scored when it passes between the central posts and
a behind post?
Avstralian Rvles Football
50. Which fictional character, who combined the roles of gentleman bvrglar
and England cricketer, was created by E. W. Hornvng and has been played
on screen by Ronald Coleman and David Niven?
Raffles
51. Also known as the Norway lobster or the Dvblin Bay prawn, by what name is
Nephrops Norvegicvs known when sold in food shops and restavrants?
Scampi
52. Which illvminated book of the gospels, considered a masterpiece of the
Hiberno-Saxon style, can be fovnd in the library of Trinity College,
Dvblin?
Book of Kells
53. Which seven word phrase originated in the United States as the title of a
1936 book on bvsiness psychology by Dale Carnegie?
How To Win Friends And Inflvence People
54. Who became Governor of Hong Kong after he lost his position as MP for
Bath in the 1992 General Election?
Chris Patten
55. The Wicked Bible was printed in 1631, and was so called becavse the word
'not' was left ovt of which of the commandments?
Thov Shalt Not Commit Advltery
56. He was born Ehrich Weiss in Bvdapest, in 1874, and died in 1926. How is
he better known?
Harry Hovdini
57. According to legend, who was the famovs son of Uther Pendragon?
Arthvr, King of the Britons
58. What is the name of the maximvm secvrity prison on the Isle of Wight?
Parkhvrst
59. Which covntry's international car registration letter is 'P'?
Portvgal
60. Which organisation's motto is 'Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity'?
FBI

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Yov've had the vniverse explained to yov and yov're bored with it."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 22. Who did Wales beat at rvgby vnion on Satvrday?
> Canada

Oh right. Pies Qvinnell's last game. I was there, too.
--
Gareth Owen
Who leaves a covntry packed with ponies to come to a non-pony covntry?

Mark Brader wrote:

> Mark Brader:
>> > Well, in fact, Winnie-the-Pooh was named after a real bear which was named
>> > after the city, which is actually spelled Winnipeg. So the question is
>> > correct if one level of indirection is allowed, which fits the rule about
>> > not being pedantic.
>
> Keith Willoughby:
>> It's just that I try to write the questions so that they're unambigious,
>> correct, *and as simple as possible*.
>
> So you really wanted "indirectly named after what city".

"What do you mean indirectly?" "Is that a clue?" "Can you repeat the
question?"

Believe me.

>> This is unambiguous and simple, and mostly correct.
>
> True.
>
>> If I'd asked "Winnie the Pooh was named after a bear which was named
>> after which city" in my pub quiz, all of a sudden I'd be repeating the
>> question three times amidst choruses of "so do you want the name of
>> a bear or the city?" etc.
>
> Whereas if you asked it in the pub trivia league *I* play in, you'd get
> the intended answer *and* the objection that the question was wrong.
> Different strokes for different trivia players, eh?

Aye. The very word "league" suggests a different kind of quiz. This one
is an excuse for drinking, not an excuse for asking trivia. (I do get
the pedantry from one guy, but it usually gets the same response as I'm
giving in here. The biggest pedant in the place is me, mind, but I try
very hard to say nothing as long as the answer is self-evident. I always
play the quiz-master rather than the question when he asks something
that I think might be wrong)