8400 - Ordering RAID to get independent drives?

To get two independently addressable drives (i.e., C:\ and D:\) I
understand, from reading posts in this group, I should order the 8400
with RAID and disable RAID in the BIOS. I don't care to add a
third-party drive after the machine is delivered.

Does it make any difference which one of the following RAID 1 / RAID 0
options I choose in order to end up with two independently addressable
160gig drives?

160GB Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs w/ Native Command
Queuing) [add $180 or $6/month1]

320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs w/ Native Command
Queuing) [add $180 or $6/month1]

--David
1 answer Last reply
More about 8400 ordering raid independent drives

    you dont have to order it already configured in RAID.
    i ordered my new Dell xps system with two seperate 160gb hard drives: C
    and D drives.
    as you said you can change this in your bios.
    i'm think in the future of adding a third hard drive and then configuring my
    C and D drive into RAID and useing the third as storage
    "David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To get two independently addressable drives (i.e., C:\ and D:\) I
    > understand, from reading posts in this group, I should order the 8400
    > with RAID and disable RAID in the BIOS. I don't care to add a
    > third-party drive after the machine is delivered.
    >
    > Does it make any difference which one of the following RAID 1 / RAID 0
    > options I choose in order to end up with two independently addressable
    > 160gig drives?
    >
    > 160GB Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs w/ Native Command
    > Queuing) [add $180 or $6/month1]
    >
    > 320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs w/ Native Command
    > Queuing) [add $180 or $6/month1]
    >
    > --David

Dell NAS / RAID Data Security Computers