Pub Quiz 12 - 20030220

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

The gaps in numbers are questions I've asked before. I had no idea it
happened so often.

Advertising slogans - name the product
1. The ultimate driving machine
2. Just do it
3. Reassuringly expensive.
4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .

Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
6. 1961, Natalie Wood
7. 1972, Marlon Brando
8. 1954, Marlon Brando
9. 1989, Morgan Freeman
10. 1985, Meryl Streep

Scandinavians
11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
during WWII?
12. Which Swede patented dynamite in 1867?
13. Which Norwegian scientist led expeditions that crossed the atlantic and
pacific oceans on rafts?
14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?
15. Which Dane currently plays in goal for Manchester City?
Israel
16. Who is Prime Minister of Israel?
17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?
18. What was the name of the Nobel Peace Price winning Israeli Prime Minister
assassinated in the 1990s?
20. Which war started on June 5 1967?

Beer
21. From which country does Heineken originate?
22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?
23. From which Irish city does Murphy's originate?
24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
25. From which country does Victoria Bitter originate?

Smiths
26. Which Smith wrote The Wealth Of Nations and is considered the father of
modern economics?
27. Which Smith began his career as The Fresh Prince?
28. Which Smith directed the movies The Tall Guy and Bean: The Ultimate
Disaster Movie?
29. Where did Mr Smith go to in the title of a 1939 movie starring James
Stewart?
30. Which Smith left the family business to become First Lord of the
Admiralty (1877-80), and secretary for war (1885)

Jones
31. What was the surname of the character Catherine Zeta Jones played in The
Darling Buds of May?
32. Which Jones played Colin Lomax in Coronation Street in 1961?
33. In which year did Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones die?
34. With which Welsh band did Tom Jones record a version of Mama Told Me Not
To Come?
35. Which Jones is women's 100m Olympic champion?

Current Affairs
36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?
37. In which country did 125 people die on a subway train this week?
38. Who was announced as Conservative candidate for the London mayor
election?
39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
introduced on Monday?
40. Which German team did Newcastle United beat in the Champions League on
Tuesday?

General Knowledge
41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?
42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of robotics?
43. What is the nickname of New York state?
44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
Winston Churchill died. Which year?
45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?
46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth
47. What is panphobia the fear of?
48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and the
Hurricanes
49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415
50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes. One
was in Rome. In which French town was the other?
51. What is the capital city of Western Australia
52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's fit to
print"?
53. It's the name of a sitcom starring Ralf Little, and a hit single for
Splodgenessabounds. What is it?
55. Which fictional hero's family motto is "Non Sufficit Orbis"
56. In which sporting event is Alinghi currently competing against New
Zealand?
57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?
58. Who was captain of Stingray in the TV series of that name?
59. Of which book is this the first line? "Once there were four children
whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmond, and Lucy."
60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <877ju892wv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> The gaps in numbers are questions I've asked before. I had no idea it
> happened so often.
>
> Advertising slogans - name the product
> 1. The ultimate driving machine

BMW

> 2. Just do it

Nike

> 3. Reassuringly expensive.
> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz

In the U.S. Alka Seltzer used the jingle:

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is.

> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .
>
> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood

The Stripper

> 7. 1972, Marlon Brando

The Godfather

> 8. 1954, Marlon Brando

On The Waterfront

> 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman

Driving Miss Daisy

> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep
>
> Scandinavians
> 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
> during WWII?

Victor? Quisling

> 12. Which Swede patented dynamite in 1867?

Alfred Nobel

> 13. Which Norwegian scientist led expeditions that crossed the atlantic and
> pacific oceans on rafts?

Thor Heyerdahl

> 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?
> 15. Which Dane currently plays in goal for Manchester City?
> Israel
> 16. Who is Prime Minister of Israel?

Ariel Sharon

> 17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?

Lod International serves Tel Aviv but is not in it.

> 18. What was the name of the Nobel Peace Price winning Israeli Prime Minister
> assassinated in the 1990s?

Titzhak Rabin

> 20. Which war started on June 5 1967?

Six Day War

> Beer
> 21. From which country does Heineken originate?

The Netherlands

> 22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?

Denmark

> 23. From which Irish city does Murphy's originate?
> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?

South Africa?

> 25. From which country does Victoria Bitter originate?
>
> Smiths
> 26. Which Smith wrote The Wealth Of Nations and is considered the father of
> modern economics?

Adam

> 27. Which Smith began his career as The Fresh Prince?

Will

> 28. Which Smith directed the movies The Tall Guy and Bean: The Ultimate
> Disaster Movie?
> 29. Where did Mr Smith go to in the title of a 1939 movie starring James
> Stewart?

Washington

> 30. Which Smith left the family business to become First Lord of the
> Admiralty (1877-80), and secretary for war (1885)
>
> Jones
> 31. What was the surname of the character Catherine Zeta Jones played in The
> Darling Buds of May?
> 32. Which Jones played Colin Lomax in Coronation Street in 1961?
> 33. In which year did Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones die?
> 34. With which Welsh band did Tom Jones record a version of Mama Told Me Not
> To Come?
> 35. Which Jones is women's 100m Olympic champion?
>
> Current Affairs
> 36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?
> 37. In which country did 125 people die on a subway train this week?
> 38. Who was announced as Conservative candidate for the London mayor
> election?
> 39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
> introduced on Monday?
> 40. Which German team did Newcastle United beat in the Champions League on
> Tuesday?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?

Buddhism

> 42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of robotics?

Isaac Asimov

> 43. What is the nickname of New York state?

Empire State

> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
> Winston Churchill died. Which year?
> 45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?
> 46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth
> 47. What is panphobia the fear of?

everything?

> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and the
> Hurricanes
> 49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415
> 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes. One
> was in Rome. In which French town was the other?

Avignon

> 51. What is the capital city of Western Australia
> 52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's fit to
> print"?

New York Times

> 53. It's the name of a sitcom starring Ralf Little, and a hit single for
> Splodgenessabounds. What is it?
> 55. Which fictional hero's family motto is "Non Sufficit Orbis"
> 56. In which sporting event is Alinghi currently competing against New
> Zealand?
> 57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?

paper, sounds familiar

> 58. Who was captain of Stingray in the TV series of that name?

Definitely sounds familiar.

> 59. Of which book is this the first line? "Once there were four children
> whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmond, and Lucy."
> 60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?

Donald "I take full responsibility, whatever that means" Rumsfeld

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

*** rec.puzzles crosspost added. Are there any people subscribed to
rec.puzzles but not to rec.games.trivia? **

[...]

"Not waving, but drowning."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz

That's interesting -- in the States, it was "plop, plop, fizz, fizz."

: 6. 1961, Natalie Wood

West Side Story

: 7. 1972, Marlon Brando

The Godfather

: 8. 1954, Marlon Brando

On the Waterfront

: 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman

Driving Miss Daisy

: 10. 1985, Meryl Streep

Out of Africa

: Scandinavians
: 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
: during WWII?

Quisling

: 12. Which Swede patented dynamite in 1867?

Nobel

: 13. Which Norwegian scientist led expeditions that crossed the atlantic and
: pacific oceans on rafts?

Thor Heyerdahl

: 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?

Auto racing

: Israel
: 16. Who is Prime Minister of Israel?

Ariel Sharon

: 17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?

The airport in Tel Aviv is S'deh Dov, but I don't think that it's an
international airport. Israel's international airport is "Ben Gurion,"
but it's located in Lod, not Tel Aviv.

: 18. What was the name of the Nobel Peace Price winning Israeli
: Prime Minister assassinated in the 1990s?

Yitzchak Rabin, who was assassinated in 1995.

: 20. Which war started on June 5 1967?

The Six-Day War.

: 21. From which country does Heineken originate?

Holland.

: 22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?

Denmark.

ObTrivia: What Copenhagen museum was endowed by the Carlsberg magnate?

: Smiths
: 26. Which Smith wrote The Wealth Of Nations and is considered the father of
: modern economics?

Adam Smith

: 27. Which Smith began his career as The Fresh Prince?

Will Smith

: 28. Which Smith directed the movies The Tall Guy and Bean: The Ultimate
: Disaster Movie?

Mel Smith

: 29. Where did Mr Smith go to in the title of a 1939 movie starring James
: Stewart?

Washington (DC)

: 31. What was the surname of the character Catherine Zeta Jones played in The
: Darling Buds of May?

Larkin

: Current Affairs
: 36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?

Was that the fire in Providence, Rhode Island?

: 37. In which country did 125 people die on a subway train this week?

Spain

: 41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?

Buddhism.

: 42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of robotics?

Isaac Asimov

: 43. What is the nickname of New York state?

The Empire State

: 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
: Winston Churchill died. Which year?

1965

: 46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth

The Scottish Play

: 47. What is panphobia the fear of?

Being hit in the head with a frying pan
(actually, it's the fear of everything)

: 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and the
: Hurricanes

Ringo

: 49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415

Agincourt

: 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes.
: One was in Rome. In which French town was the other?

Avignon

: 51. What is the capital city of Western Australia

Perth (?)

: 52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's fit
: to print"?

The New York Times

: 57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?

Paper (?)

: 60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?

Donald H. Duck, excuse me, Rumsfeld

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
Look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed.
They've dragged her to the bushes, and now she's being stabbed.
Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain.
But Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:59:16 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>*** rec.puzzles crosspost added. Are there any people subscribed to
> rec.puzzles but not to rec.games.trivia? **
Yes.

> The gaps in numbers are questions I've asked before. I had no idea it
> happened so often.
>
> Advertising slogans - name the product
> 1. The ultimate driving machine
> 2. Just do it
Nike

> 3. Reassuringly expensive.
> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
Alka Seltzer

> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .
>
> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood
East of Eden

> 7. 1972, Marlon Brando
The Godfather?

> 8. 1954, Marlon Brando
On the Waterfront?

> 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman
Driving Miss Daisy

> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep
Silkwood?

> Scandinavians
> 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
> during WWII?
Quisling

> 12. Which Swede patented dynamite in 1867?
Nobel

> 13. Which Norwegian scientist led expeditions that crossed the atlantic and
> pacific oceans on rafts?
Thor Hyerdahl

> 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?
> 15. Which Dane currently plays in goal for Manchester City?
> Israel
> 16. Who is Prime Minister of Israel?
> 17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?
> 18. What was the name of the Nobel Peace Price winning Israeli Prime Minister
> assassinated in the 1990s?
foo. Was that Rabin?

> 20. Which war started on June 5 1967?
The Six Day War?

> Beer
> 21. From which country does Heineken originate?
Germany

> 22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?
Denmark?

> 23. From which Irish city does Murphy's originate?
Ireland?

> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
The Netherlands

> 25. From which country does Victoria Bitter originate?
Australia?

> Smiths
> 26. Which Smith wrote The Wealth Of Nations and is considered the father of
> modern economics?
Adam

> 27. Which Smith began his career as The Fresh Prince?
Will

> 28. Which Smith directed the movies The Tall Guy and Bean: The Ultimate
> Disaster Movie?
> 29. Where did Mr Smith go to in the title of a 1939 movie starring James
> Stewart?
Washington

> 30. Which Smith left the family business to become First Lord of the
> Admiralty (1877-80), and secretary for war (1885)
>
> Jones
> 31. What was the surname of the character Catherine Zeta Jones played in The
> Darling Buds of May?
> 32. Which Jones played Colin Lomax in Coronation Street in 1961?
> 33. In which year did Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones die?
> 34. With which Welsh band did Tom Jones record a version of Mama Told Me Not
> To Come?
> 35. Which Jones is women's 100m Olympic champion?
>
> Current Affairs
> 36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?
> 37. In which country did 125 people die on a subway train this week?
> 38. Who was announced as Conservative candidate for the London mayor
> election?
> 39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
> introduced on Monday?
> 40. Which German team did Newcastle United beat in the Champions League on
> Tuesday?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?
Buddhism

> 42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of robotics?
Asimov

> 43. What is the nickname of New York state?
The Empire State

> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
> Winston Churchill died. Which year?
> 45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?
> 46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth
The Scottish Play

> 47. What is panphobia the fear of?
Everything

> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and the
> Hurricanes
> 49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415
Agincourt?

> 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes. One
> was in Rome. In which French town was the other?
Avignon

> 51. What is the capital city of Western Australia
Perth?

> 52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's fit to
> print"?
New York Times?

> 53. It's the name of a sitcom starring Ralf Little, and a hit single for
> Splodgenessabounds. What is it?
> 55. Which fictional hero's family motto is "Non Sufficit Orbis"
> 56. In which sporting event is Alinghi currently competing against New
> Zealand?
> 57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?
Paper

> 58. Who was captain of Stingray in the TV series of that name?
> 59. Of which book is this the first line? "Once there were four children
> whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmond, and Lucy."
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

> 60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?
Rumsfelt

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>>*** rec.puzzles crosspost added. Are there any people subscribed to
>> rec.puzzles but not to rec.games.trivia? **
>>
>> The gaps in numbers are questions I've asked before. I had no idea it
>> happened so often.
>>
>> Advertising slogans - name the product
>> 1. The ultimate driving machine
>
> bmw
>
>> 2. Just do it
>
> nike
>
>> 3. Reassuringly expensive.
>
> stella artois
>
>> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
>
> alka seltzer
>
>> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin'
>
> cooltalkin'
>
>> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .
>
> coca-cola?
>
>> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
>> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood
>> 7. 1972, Marlon Brando
>
> godfather
>
>> 8. 1954, Marlon Brando
>
> on the waterfront
>
>> 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman
>
> not the shawshank remdemption
>
>> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep
>>
>> Scandinavians
>> 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his
>> conduct during WWII?
>
> quisling

Vidkun Quisling, to be precise.

> [...]

>> election?
>
> steve norris
>
>> 39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
>> introduced on Monday?
>
> GBP 5
>
>> 40. Which German team did Newcastle United beat in the Champions League
>> on Tuesday?
>
> shalke
>
>> General Knowledge
>> 41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?
>
> buddhism
>
>> 42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of
>> robotics?
> asimov - and then the other one the zeroth
>
>> 43. What is the nickname of New York state?
>
> the empire state
>
>> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya,
>> and Sir Winston Churchill died. Which year?

1964

>> 45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?

Ras Tafari?

>> 46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth
>
> the scottish play
>
>> 47. What is panphobia the fear of?
>
> everything
>
>> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and
>> the Hurricanes
>
> george
>
>> 49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415
>
> agincourt
>

>> 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two
>> popes. One was in Rome. In which French town was the other?
>
> avignon
>
>> 51. What is the capital city of Western Australia
>
> perth
>
>> 52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's
>> fit to print"?

The New York Times.

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <877ju892wv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>>
>> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
>
> In the U.S. Alka Seltzer used the jingle:
>
> Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is.

I'll hazard a guess that it became 'plink' in the UK because 'plop' has
an unfortunate toilet connection.

>> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
>> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood
>
> The Stripper

Nope

>> 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
>> during WWII?
>
> Victor? Quisling

Vidkun Quizkling, yes.

>> 17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?
>
> Lod International serves Tel Aviv but is not in it.

I'd use "serves" these days. AIUI, though, it's in Lod but is called Ben
Gurion International Airport.

>> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
>
> South Africa?

No.

>> 57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?
>
> paper, sounds familiar

:) Yes.

>> 58. Who was captain of Stingray in the TV series of that name?
>
> Definitely sounds familiar.

Don't think this was me, though.

>> 60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?
>
> Donald "I take full responsibility, whatever that means" Rumsfeld

That's the, uh, fellow.

Votad Al Frente Popular

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87d6407m0h.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>
> > In article <877ju892wv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> >>
> >> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
> >
> > In the U.S. Alka Seltzer used the jingle:
> >
> > Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is.
>
> I'll hazard a guess that it became 'plink' in the UK because 'plop' has
> an unfortunate toilet connection.

We have that connotation as well, although we can say
"plop down in a chair" without making the children titter.
That said, these days it is unlikely that we'd here that
phrase in an commercial ad.

> >> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
> >> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood
> >
> > The Stripper
>
> Nope

I'm glad I was wrong. I didn't want to imagine that the AMPAS
had awarded best picture to it.

--

In article <87d6407m0h.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:>> 17. What is the name of the international airport in Tel Aviv?
:>
:> Lod International serves Tel Aviv but is not in it.
:
: I'd use "serves" these days. AIUI, though, it's in Lod but is called Ben
: Gurion International Airport.

That is correct: its airport code is TLV. ObTrivia: what is the
name by which the project to build the new hi-tech Terminal 3, scheduled
to open in November 2004, known as?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin'
> cooltalkin'
>> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .

> coca-cola?

close.

>> 20. Which war started on June 5 1967?
> yom kippur?

6 days war.

>> 35. Which Jones is women's 100m Olympic champion?
> grace

:) No.

>> Current Affairs
>> 36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?
> i seem to think this was long island

There were two club fires in quick succession. One in, IIRC, Rhode
Island, and this one.

>> 40. Which German team did Newcastle United beat in the Champions League
> on
>> Tuesday?
> shalke

It wasn't, no.

>> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and
> the
>> Hurricanes
> george

No.

>> 53. It's the name of a sitcom starring Ralf Little, and a hit single
> for
>> Splodgenessabounds. What is it?
>
> babablack sheep

No.

Others correct.

Do you think you could add blank lines either side of your answers? It
makes them easier to mark. Cheers!

"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going"

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> matt wrote:
>>"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>>> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and
>>
>>george
>
> No.

The old man, Ringo.

--Jeff

--

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Vidkun Quizkling, yes.

Not sure how *that* happened.

Vidkun Quisling

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <874qpc7ls4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
> > Vidkun Quizkling, yes.
>
> Not sure how *that* happened.
>
> Vidkun Quisling

I was quizklical about that.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <874qpc7ls4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
: Keith Willoughby wrote:
:
:> Vidkun Quizkling, yes.
:
: Not sure how *that* happened.
:
: Vidkun Quisling

I for one like the first one better.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"I seem to smell a peculiar and a fishlike smell."

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> : 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?
>
> Auto racing

Rallying, yes.

> : Current Affairs
> : 36. In which American city did 21 people die in a nightclub this week?
>
> Was that the fire in Providence, Rhode Island?

It was the other one.

> : 37. In which country did 125 people die on a subway train this week?
>
> Spain

No.

Others correct.

We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> matt wrote:
>
>>> 21. From which country does Heineken originate?
>> denmark

This was incorrect, btw, I think I might have said correct last
time. It's the Netherlands, and Carlsberg is Danish

>>> 22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?
>
> Germany

Nope.

>>> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
>
> The Netherlands

Nope.

>>> 25. From which country does Victoria Bitter originate?
>
> Australia?

Correct.

>>> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya,
>>> and Sir Winston Churchill died. Which year?
>
> 1964

65

>>> 45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?
>
> Ras Tafari?

Correct. He had another name, too, but I forget what.

"Individuals have international duties which
transcend the national obligations of obedience"
-- Justice Robert Jackson

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 2. Just do it

Nike

> 3. Reassuringly expensive.

Stella

> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz

Rennies. Some hangover / indigestion relief, anyway.

> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .

Coke

> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood

West Side Story

> 7. 1972, Marlon Brando

Godfather

> 8. 1954, Marlon Brando

On The Waterfront

> 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman

Shawshank Redemption?

> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep

Kramer vs. Kramer

> 11. Which Norwegian's name became a synonym for 'traitor' after his conduct
> during WWII?

Quisling (Vikard?)

> 12. Which Swede patented dynamite in 1867?

Nobel

> 13. Which Norwegian scientist led expeditions that crossed the atlantic and
> pacific oceans on rafts?

Thor Heyerdaal

> 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?

"The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkola
Makes me want to shake hands with the whole of Finland"
-- The Genius of Half Man, Half Biscuit

He's a rally driver.

> 15. Which Dane currently plays in goal for Manchester City?

Schmeicel

> 16. Who is Prime Minister of Israel?

Sharon

> 18. What was the name of the Nobel Peace Price winning Israeli Prime Minister
> assassinated in the 1990s?

Rabin

> 20. Which war started on June 5 1967?

Yom Kippur War

> 21. From which country does Heineken originate?

Holland, these days.

> 22. From which country does Carlsberg originate?

Denmark

> 23. From which Irish city does Murphy's originate?

Somewhere in Cork (the Mary's Well brewery)

> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?

Holland

> 25. From which country does Victoria Bitter originate?

Australia.

> 26. Which Smith wrote The Wealth Of Nations and is considered the father of
> modern economics?

Adam

> 27. Which Smith began his career as The Fresh Prince?

Will

> 28. Which Smith directed the movies The Tall Guy and Bean: The Ultimate
> Disaster Movie?

Mel

> 29. Where did Mr Smith go to in the title of a 1939 movie starring James
> Stewart?

Washington

> 30. Which Smith left the family business to become First Lord of the
> Admiralty (1877-80), and secretary for war (1885)

WH?

> 33. In which year did Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones die?

1969

> 34. With which Welsh band did Tom Jones record a version of Mama Told Me Not
> To Come?

Stereophonics

> 35. Which Jones is women's 100m Olympic champion?

Marion

> 38. Who was announced as Conservative candidate for the London mayor
> election?

Norris? Or Archer.

> 39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
> introduced on Monday?

£15

> 41. Therevada, Mahayana, and Zen are branches of which religion?

Buddhism

> 42. Which science-fiction writer established the three laws of robotics?

Asimov

> 43. What is the nickname of New York state?

The Empire State

> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
> Winston Churchill died. Which year?

1969?

> 45. What was the name of Haile Selassie before he was crowned in 1930?

Rastafari?

> 46. What name do superstitious actors traditionally give to Macbeth

The Scottish Play

> 47. What is panphobia the fear of?

Everything

> 48. Which one of the Beatles was formerly in the band Rory Storme and the
> Hurricanes

Ringo

> 49. Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415

Agincourt

> 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes. One
> was in Rome. In which French town was the other?

Vichy?

> 52. Which US newspaper declares that it contains "all the news that's fit to
> print"?

NY Times

> 53. It's the name of a sitcom starring Ralf Little, and a hit single for
> Splodgenessabounds. What is it?

Two pints of lager and a packet of crips.

> 57. If silver is the 25th anniversary, what is the first anniversary?

Paper

> 58. Who was captain of Stingray in the TV series of that name?

Troy Tempest
> 60. Who is the US Secretary of Defense?

Rumsfeld
--
Gareth Owen
I shot a query into the net.

Tafari Makonnen according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I
--

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 4. Plink, plink, fizz, fizz
>
> Rennies. Some hangover / indigestion relief, anyway.

Alka Seltzer

ObTrivia: Which band knew a girl called Elsa who was into Alka Seltzer?

>> 5. Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
>> highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' . . .
>
> Coke

Nope. Everyone said Coke.

>> 9. 1989, Morgan Freeman
>
> Shawshank Redemption?

Driving Miss Daisy

>> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep
>
> Kramer vs. Kramer

Out of Efrica

>> 14. Finland's Hannu Mikkola was a world champion in which sport?
>
> "The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkola
> Makes me want to shake hands with the whole of Finland"
> -- The Genius of Half Man, Half Biscuit

A song for every occasion!

Not a coincidence, by the way. I'm usually listening to mp3s on random
play when I'm setting a quiz, and HMHB often provide inspiration. I've
set questions on Jimmy Clitheroe and Len Ganley, too, IIRC.

> He's a rally driver.

Aye

>> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
>
> Holland

Nope

>> 30. Which Smith left the family business to become First Lord of the
>> Admiralty (1877-80), and secretary for war (1885)
>
> WH?

Yes! William Henry. I loved that question, and the one person to get it
in the quiz was well chuffed.

>> 38. Who was announced as Conservative candidate for the London mayor
>> election?
>
> Norris? Or Archer.

Shagger Norris.

>> 39. How much is the standard daily fee for driving into central London,
>> introduced on Monday?
>
> £15

A fiver

>> 44. Malcolm X assasinated, Singapore became independent from Malaya, and Sir
>> Winston Churchill died. Which year?
>
> 1969?

65

>> 50. During the great schism of the Catholic church, there were two popes. One
>> was in Rome. In which French town was the other?
>
> Vichy?

Avignon. Quite possibly sur le pont.

Others correct.

Smoke yourself thin

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Alka Seltzer
>
> ObTrivia: Which band knew a girl called Elsa who was into Alka Seltzer?

Quo-asis.
--

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > 1964
>>
>> 65

>> > Ras Tafari?
>>
>> Correct. He had another name, too, but I forget what.
>
> Tafari Makonnen according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I

That's the bunny.

It's worse than Benny Hill, and that's bad enough

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> Alka Seltzer
>>
>> ObTrivia: Which band knew a girl called Elsa who was into Alka Seltzer?
>
> Quo-asis.

Harsh, but fair.

"Everything is repairable"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> > Quo-asis.
>
> Harsh, but fair.

To Oasis's eternal credit, they once marketed
a line of shirts with precisely that slogan.

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:59:16 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>

>>*** rec.puzzles crosspost added. Are there any people subscribed to
>> rec.puzzles but not to rec.games.trivia? **
> Yes.

Thanks. I'll try to remember to cross post.

>> Name the Best Picture Oscar winners (year, star)
>> 6. 1961, Natalie Wood
> East of Eden

West Side Story

>> 10. 1985, Meryl Streep
> Silkwood?

Out of Africa

>> Beer
>> 21. From which country does Heineken originate?
> Germany

Die Nederland

>> 23. From which Irish city does Murphy's originate?
> Ireland?

Looking for the city. Cork.

>> 24. From which country does Hoegaarden originate?
> The Netherlands

Nope.

Others correct.

"I have never met Fred Titmus, for example,
let alone greeted him in such an overfamiliar way."
Nigel Blackwell, HMHB

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby and Barbara Bailey write:
>>> *** rec.puzzles crosspost added. Are there any people subscribed to
>>> rec.puzzles but not to rec.games.trivia? **

>> Yes.

> Thanks. I'll try to remember to cross post.

Better yet, why don't the people who want to see these postings just
subscribe to rec.games.trivia? It could use more traffic that's separate
from rec.puzzles anyway.

(Me, I read both groups, but I read rec.puzzles first.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
msb@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum