Pub Quiz 12 - 20030306

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2004 11:36:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Cars
1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?
2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world championship in
1968?
3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?
4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?
5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including the
Viggen and the Draken?

Quotes
6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
to his needs"?
7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?
8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the
truth."

(ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
and assume the impossible?)

9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its
stupidity."?
10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an exaggeration."?

Literature
11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?
13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
Shakespeare play?
14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?
15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?

Film
16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
in the film Night of the Hunter?
17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?
18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?
19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?
20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?

Music
21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
Manchester Free Trade Hall?
22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
Bach, or Haydn?
23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?
24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?
25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?

Dogs
26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?
27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?
28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
(That's the British Dennis)
30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
according to greek mythology?

Country names - what are they now?
31. Ceylon?
32. Formosa
33. Siam
34. Persia
35. Abyssynia

Kings and Queens
36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?
38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952
40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509

General Knowledge
41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?
42. Who was president of the Girl Guides Association of Great Britain from
1965 to 2002?
43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?
44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?
45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
and which other foodstuff?
46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
47. Who is vice-president of the USA?
48. Who painted the painting Guernica?
49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?
50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
Asian country?
51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
(male!)
52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
Damascus?
53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?
54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?
55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
the toad, and Professor Yaffle?
56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?
57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?
58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
Tuesday"?
59. In which US state is Fort Knox?
60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?

Kill, kill, kill

More about : pub quiz 20030306

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:36:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Cars
> 1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?

Mustang?

> 2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world championship in
> 1968?
> 3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?
> 4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?

Buick Chevrolet DeSoto?

> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including the
> Viggen and the Draken?

Saab

> Quotes
> 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
> to his needs"?
> 7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?
> 8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
> impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Arthur Conan Doyle

> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
> and assume the impossible?)

Clouseau

> 9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
> can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its
> stupidity."?

Dwight Eisenhower?

> 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an exaggeration."?

Mark Twain

> Literature
> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?

The Importance of Being Earnest

> 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?

Helen O'Troy

> 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
> Shakespeare play?

Troilus and Cressida?

> 14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?
> 15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?
>
> Film
> 16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
> in the film Night of the Hunter?

good and evil?

> 17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?

African Queen

> 18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?

Lone Ranger

> 19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
> Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?

Gary Cooper

> 20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?
>
> Music
> 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
> Manchester Free Trade Hall?
> 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
> Bach, or Haydn?
> 23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?

Star Spangled Banana

> 24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?
> 25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?

Kenny Rogers

> Dogs
> 26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?
> 27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?

beagle

> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
> (That's the British Dennis)
> 30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
> according to greek mythology?
>
> Country names - what are they now?
> 31. Ceylon?

Sri Lanka

> 32. Formosa

Taiwan

> 33. Siam

Thailand

> 34. Persia

Iran

> 35. Abyssynia

Ethiopia

> Kings and Queens
> 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
> 37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?
> 38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
> 39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952
> 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?

five

> 42. Who was president of the Girl Guides Association of Great Britain from
> 1965 to 2002?
> 43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
> of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?

Kenya

> 44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?
> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
> and which other foodstuff?

milk?

> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
> 47. Who is vice-president of the USA?

Don't rub it in.

> 48. Who painted the painting Guernica?

Pablo Picasso

> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?

Steve McGarrett

> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
> Asian country?

Thailand

> 51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
> (male!)
> 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
> Damascus?
> 53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
> clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?
> 54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?

Georgia

> 55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
> the toad, and Professor Yaffle?
> 56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?

U.S. Senator John Glenn

> 57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?

LBJ

> 58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
> Tuesday"?

Mardi Gras

> 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?

Kentucky

> 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?

Geez. I see them three times a day. You'd think I'd know.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
: to his needs"?

I don't know who said it first, but Marx said it most famously.

: 7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?

George V (of the UK)

: 8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
: impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

: 9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
: can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."?

Eisenhower

: 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an
: exaggeration."?

Mark Twain (although the quote is slightly mangled)

: 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?

Helen of Troy

: 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
: Shakespeare play?

Romeo and Juliet, although there's a comically screwed up version as
the entertainment for Theseus's wedding in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

: 16. What two words did Robert Mi[t]chum's character have tatooed on
: his knuckles in the film Night of the Hunter?

"Love" and "Hate"

: 17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?

The African Queen

: 18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?

The Lone Ranger

: 19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
: Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?

Gary Cooper

: 20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?

Jodie Foster (although it was more than a decade before she won)

: 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
: Manchester Free Trade Hall?

Mick Jagger (??)

: 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
: Bach, or Haydn?

Haydn

: 23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?

The Star-Spangled Banner

: 24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?

Mary Hopkin

: 27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle

: 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?

Laika (but Snoopy was the first dog on the moon)

: 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
: (That's the British Dennis)

In the U.S., it's "Ruff."

: 30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
: according to greek mythology?

Cerberus

: 31. Ceylon?

Sri Lanka

: 32. Formosa

Taiwan

: 33. Siam

Thailand

: 34. Persia

Iran

: 35. Abyssynia

Ethiopia and Eritrea

: 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?

Belgium (?)

: 37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

: 39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952

Farouk

: 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509

Henry VII

: 41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?

15

: 43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
: of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?

Kenya

: 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?

Estonia

: 47. Who is vice-president of the USA?

Dick Cheney

: 48. Who painted the painting Guernica?

Picasso

: 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?

Steve McGarrett

: 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
: Asian country?

Burma

: 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
: Damascus?

Saul/Paul

: 53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
: clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?

14, I think

: 54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?

None (he was the president of Georgia at the time the quiz was written)

: 57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?

Lyndon B. Johnson

: 58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
: Tuesday"?

Mardi Gras

: 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?

Tennessee

: 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?

Blue

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
I'm sorry if I hurt you when I fell asleep last night,
But I was just exhausted from the act of being polite.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:36:21 PM

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Cars
> 1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?

Firebird

> 2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world championship in
> 1968?
> 3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?
> 4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?

Cadillac (or LaSalle?)

> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including the
> Viggen and the Draken?
>
> Quotes
> 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
> to his needs"?

Karlo

> 7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?
> 8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
> impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the
> truth."

AC Doyle

> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
> and assume the impossible?)
>
> 9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
> can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its
> stupidity."?
> 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an exaggeration."?

Sam Clemens

> Literature
> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
> 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?
> 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
> Shakespeare play?
> 14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?
> 15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?
>
> Film
> 16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
> in the film Night of the Hunter?
> 17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?
> 18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?

The Lone Ranger

> 19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
> Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?

Himself?

> 20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?
>
> Music
> 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
> Manchester Free Trade Hall?
> 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
> Bach, or Haydn?
> 23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?

Star Spangled Banner

> 24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?
> 25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?
>
> Dogs
> 26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?

K9, again

> 27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle

> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?

Laika

> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
> (That's the British Dennis)

Ruff in the US

> 30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
> according to greek mythology?

Cerebus (but I don't know the names of the other two heads).

> Country names - what are they now?
> 31. Ceylon?

Sri Lanka

> 32. Formosa

Taiwan (but the island is still Formosa, I think)

> 33. Siam

Thailand

> 34. Persia

Iran

> 35. Abyssynia

In all the old familiar places. Iraq?

> Kings and Queens
> 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
> 37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?
> 38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?

Grimaldi?

> 39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952
> 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?

Five - China, France, Russia, USA, UK

> 42. Who was president of the Girl Guides Association of Great Britain from
> 1965 to 2002?
> 43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
> of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?

Kenya

> 44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?
> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
> and which other foodstuff?

Kippers

> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?

Latvia?

> 47. Who is vice-president of the USA?

Everybody in the US is their own president of vices. I think you mean
Richard Cheney

> 48. Who painted the painting Guernica?

Picasso - Colin Powell hid it

> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?

McG... Hawaii Five-O

> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
> Asian country?

Thailand

> 51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
> (male!)
> 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
> Damascus?

Timothy/Peter?

> 53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
> clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?
> 54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?

Georgia (But he's been kicked out and Ray Charles just died).

> 55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
> the toad, and Professor Yaffle?
> 56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?

John Glenn

> 57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?

LBJ

> 58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
> Tuesday"?

Mardi Gras

> 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?

The Commonwealth of Kentucky (you're 0 for 2 on Commonwealths now).

> 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?

Blue.

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:39:15 PM

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?

Morris

> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including the
> Viggen and the Draken?

Saab

> 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
> to his needs"?

Marx & Engels

> 8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
> impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Conan Doyle

> 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an
> exaggeration."?

Twain

> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?

The Importance of Being Earnest. ObTrivia : Where?

> 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?

Helen

> 14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?

The Outlaws?

> 15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?

The Mousetrap

> 16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his
> knuckles in the film Night of the Hunter?

LOVE and HATE

> 17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?

The African Queen

> 18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?

The Lone Ranger

> 20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?

Jodie Foster

> 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
> Manchester Free Trade Hall?

His Bobness

> 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
> Bach, or Haydn?

Beethoven. Or is that the EU anthem?

> 23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?

The star spangled banner

> 24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?

Mary Hopkin

> 25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?

Kenny Rogers

> 26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?

k9

> 27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle

> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?

Laika

> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?

Gnasher and Gnipper

> 30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
> according to greek mythology?

Cerebus

> 34. Persia

Iraq

> 35. Abyssynia

Ethopia

5

> 43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the
> activities of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?

Kenya

> 44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?

Dandy

> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?

Lithuania

> 47. Who is vice-president of the USA?

Cheney

> 48. Who painted the painting Guernica?

Picasso

> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?

Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-O

> 51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
> (male!)

Good question.

> 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
> Damascus?

Saul / Paul

> 55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
> the toad, and Professor Yaffle?

Bagpuss

> 56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?

John Glenn

> 57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?

LBJ

> 58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
> Tuesday"?

Mardi Gras

> 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?

Blue
--
Gareth Owen
I shot a query into the net.

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
>> to his needs"?
>
> Marx & Engels

Is it from the Manifesto? I thought it was from one of Marx's solo works.

>> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
>
> The Importance of Being Earnest. ObTrivia : Where?

One of the stations. Kings Cross?

>> 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
>> Bach, or Haydn?
>
> Beethoven.

No

> Or is that the EU anthem?

Yes.

>> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
>
> Lithuania

No

>> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?
>
> Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-O

So near, yet so far :)

>> 51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
>> (male!)
>
> Good question.

Ta.

I have seen the enemy, and he is quite short.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:59:36 PM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Gareth Owen wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

>>> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?
>>
>>Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-O
>

> So near, yet so far :)

McGarrett

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:19:49 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>>
>> Cars
>> 1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?
>
> Mustang?

No

>> 4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?
>
> Buick Chevrolet DeSoto?

:)  No.

>> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
>> and assume the impossible?)
>
> Clouseau

Not the one I'm thinking of. This one is from a couple of novels, and
makes specific reference to Conan Doyle's assertion

>> 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?
>
> Helen O'Troy

The famous Irish beauty. Correct.

>> 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
>> Shakespeare play?
>
> Troilus and Cressida?

No. Or rather, I don't think so. I have no idea what the plot of Troilus
and Cressida is.

>> 16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
>> in the film Night of the Hunter?
>
> good and evil?

no.
>> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
>> and which other foodstuff?
>
> milk?

Nope.

>> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
>> Asian country?
>
> Thailand

No.

>> 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?
>
> Geez. I see them three times a day. You'd think I'd know.

I had exactly the same experience when I read the question.

"You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
- Paul Robeson to the HUAC
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:19:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87r7sg4oiy.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> > In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> >> 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
> >> Shakespeare play?
> >
> > Troilus and Cressida?
>
> No. Or rather, I don't think so. I have no idea what the plot of Troilus
> and Cressida is.

Neither do I. It just seemed to go with P&T.

> >> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
> >> Asian country?
> >
> > Thailand
>
> No.

Burma?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:23:57 AM

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> : 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
> : to his needs"?
>
> I don't know who said it first, but Marx said it most famously.

IIRC, I added the 'first' just in case someone knew of another
one. These days, I just say "most famously".

> : 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an
> : exaggeration."?
>
> Mark Twain (although the quote is slightly mangled)

You don't happen to have a primary source for it, do you? I've found
several versions of the quote, and IIRC when I set the question, the
version I've used here had the best source.

> : 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
> : Manchester Free Trade Hall?
>
> Mick Jagger (??)

No.

> : 41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?
>
> 15

5 permanent.

Others correct.

"We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time."
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:29:24 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> Cars
>> 1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?
>
> Firebird

Nope

>> 4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?
>
> Cadillac (or LaSalle?)

Cadillac is what I'm looking for.

>> 19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
>> Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?
>
> Himself?

Heh. No. Gary Cooper.

>> 35. Abyssynia
>
> In all the old familiar places. Iraq?

Ethiopia. And Eritrea.
>> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
>> and which other foodstuff?
>
> Kippers

:)  No.

>> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
>
> Latvia?

Estonia.

>> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
>> Asian country?
>
> Thailand

Burma/Myanmar

>> 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
>> Damascus?
>
> Timothy/Peter?

Saul/Paul

>> 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?
>
> The Commonwealth of Kentucky (you're 0 for 2 on Commonwealths now).

:)

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:29:25 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> 35. Abyssynia
>>
>>In all the old familiar places. Iraq?
>
> Ethiopia. And Eritrea.

<slaps forehead> I knew that. Stop giving the answers, it takes half
the fun out. Thanks.

>>> 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?
>>
>>The Commonwealth of Kentucky (you're 0 for 2 on Commonwealths now).
>
> :)

Virginia is the third, remember it, live it. :)

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:29:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <10cuk70k2b2sk5e@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
> > Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> >>In all the old familiar places. Iraq?
> >
> > Ethiopia. And Eritrea.
>
> <slaps forehead> I knew that. Stop giving the answers, it takes half
> the fun out. Thanks.

> >>The Commonwealth of Kentucky (you're 0 for 2 on Commonwealths now).
> >
> > :)
>
> Virginia is the third, remember it, live it. :)

There are four U.S. states that refer to themselves as commonwealths:

Kentucky
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Virginia

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:29:27 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> In article <10cuk70k2b2sk5e@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>>Ethiopia. And Eritrea.
>>
>><slaps forehead> I knew that. Stop giving the answers, it takes half
>>the fun out. Thanks.

>>>:)
>>
>>Virginia is the third, remember it, live it. :)
>
> There are four U.S. states that refer to themselves as commonwealths:
>
> Kentucky
> Massachusetts
> Pennsylvania
> Virginia

That's one of those things I know but I heard it wrong years ago and
often repeat the wrong way - not having properly corrected it in my
head. Well, they are all members of the original 14 states. ;)

ObTrivia: What are the nicknames of Kentucky, Massachusetts,
Pennsylvania and Virginia?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:29:57 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87r7sg4oiy.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>> > In article <87hdtc653v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> >
>> > Troilus and Cressida?
>>
>> No. Or rather, I don't think so. I have no idea what the plot of Troilus
>> and Cressida is.
>
> Neither do I. It just seemed to go with P&T.

Aha!

Romeo and Juliet.

>> > Thailand
>>
>> No.
>
> Burma?

Correct.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting,
it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- G K Chesterton
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:45:49 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>>In all the old familiar places. Iraq?
>> Ethiopia. And Eritrea.
>
> <slaps forehead> I knew that. Stop giving the answers, it takes half
> the fun out. Thanks.

Sorry. It had been answered by other people, and it never occurred to me
that you're not reading the other answers.

>>>The Commonwealth of Kentucky (you're 0 for 2 on Commonwealths now).
>> :)
>
> Virginia is the third, remember it, live it. :)

Noted. Thanks. :)

I took the bus from Balmbras
And she was heavy laden
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:01:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including
> the Viggen and the Draken?

Nevermind the rules, but I have of course to point out that either
you say Viggen and Draken without articles, or you say the Vigg and the
Drake. :-)

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> ObTrivia: What are the nicknames of Kentucky

Bluegrass State?

> , Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia?

June 16, 2004 2:08:13 AM

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
>> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including
>> the Viggen and the Draken?
>
> Nevermind the rules, but I have of course to point out that either
> you say Viggen and Draken without articles, or you say the Vigg and the
> Drake. :-)

Hah. Thank you.

What is a Vigg?

"I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?"
- Dizzy Dean
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:08:14 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
>>
>>> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including
>>> the Viggen and the Draken?
>>
>>Nevermind the rules, but I have of course to point out that either
>>you say Viggen and Draken without articles, or you say the Vigg and the
>>Drake. :-)
>

> Hah. Thank you.
>
> What is a Vigg?

A bookie's profit.

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:37:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> Hah. Thank you.
>
> What is a Vigg?

Believe it or not, but I had to look it up. And that was not for the
English translation. This is not a word used in everyday Swedish so
to speak.

I found two meanings, one is a certain duck ("diving duck") and the other is
a word for flash/lightning. I would assume that the airplane has gotten the
name from the latter, but duck is not impossible.

"drake" is "dragon".

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:37:37 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>>"drake" is "dragon".
>
> .. . . a dragon. :)

Draco when it comes to constellations.

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:05:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

>>> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
>> The Importance of Being Earnest. ObTrivia : Where?
> One of the stations. Kings Cross?

Nope. Hint: we need to know which station and which side.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be evil."
msb@vex.net -- corporate policy, Google Inc.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jeffrey Turner:
> > ObTrivia: What are the nicknames of Kentucky

Keith Willoughby:
> Bluegrass State?

Yep.

> > Massachusetts,

Bay State.

> > Pennsylvania

Keystone State. (It's the middle one of the original 13, you see.)

> > and Virginia?

Mother of Presidents, but I think there's another one of the "x State"
style that I don't remember.
--
Mark Brader 1. remove ball from package. 2. place in hand.
msb@vex.net 3. call dog by name. 4. throw ball.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
> >
> > The Importance of Being Earnest. ObTrivia : Where?
>
> One of the stations.

Yup

> Kings Cross?

Nope.

ObObTrivia : And by whom?
--
Gareth Owen
If I knew what the hell I was doing, it wouldn't be research...

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:36:20 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Cars
> 1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?
Ford Torino (a nasty orange one...)

> 2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world championship in
> 1968?
> 3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?
> 4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?
Caddilac

> 5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including the
> Viggen and the Draken?
>
> Quotes
> 6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
> to his needs"?
> 7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?
> 8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
> impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the
> truth."
Arthor Conan Doyle

> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
> and assume the impossible?)
Inspector Clouseau?

> 9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
> can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its
> stupidity."?
Ike?

> 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an exaggeration."?
Mark Twain

> Literature
> 11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
> 12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?
Helen of Troy

> 13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
> Shakespeare play?
Romeo & Juliet

> 14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?
> 15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?
>
> Film
> 16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
> in the film Night of the Hunter?
Love and Hate

> 17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?
The African Queen

> 18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man?
The Lone Ranger

> 19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
> Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?
Gary Cooper

> 20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?
Jodie Foster

> Music
> 21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
> Manchester Free Trade Hall?
> 22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
> Bach, or Haydn?
> 23. How is the poem/song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?
The Star-Spangled Banner/ American National Anthem

> 24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?
> 25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?
Kenny Rogers

> Dogs
> 26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?
K-9

> 27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?
Beagle

> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
Sasha?

> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
> (That's the British Dennis)
Hmm. Ruff was the American Dennis...I dunno

> 30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
> according to greek mythology?
Cerberus

> Country names - what are they now?
> 31. Ceylon?
Pakistan?

> 32. Formosa
Taiwan?

> 33. Siam
Thailand

> 34. Persia
Iran

> 35. Abyssynia
Iraq?

> Kings and Queens
> 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
Monaco?

> 37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?
> 38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
Garibaldi

> 39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952
> 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
Henry VIII

> General Knowledge
> 41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?
3? 5? I'll say 5

> 42. Who was president of the Girl Guides Association of Great Britain from
> 1965 to 2002?
> 43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
> of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?
> 44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?
> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
> and which other foodstuff?
Flour?

> 46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
> 47. Who is vice-president of the USA?
Dick Cheney

> 48. Who painted the painting Guernica?
Picasso

> 49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?
Steve I've-brain-farted-on-his-last-name-darnit. Jack Lord on Hawaii
5-0

> 50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
> Asian country?
> 51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
> (male!)
> 52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
> Damascus?
Saul/Paul

> 53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
> clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?
> 54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?
> 55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
> the toad, and Professor Yaffle?
> 56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?
John Glenn

> 57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?
LBJ

> 58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
> Tuesday"?
Mardi Gras

> 59. In which US state is Fort Knox?
Kentucky

> 60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:15:00 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 04:10:53 -0000, msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Jeffrey Turner:
>> > ObTrivia: What are the nicknames of Kentucky
>
>Keith Willoughby:
>> Bluegrass State?
>
>Yep.
>
>> > Massachusetts,
>
>Bay State.
>
>> > Pennsylvania
>
>Keystone State. (It's the middle one of the original 13, you see.)
>
>> > and Virginia?
>
>Mother of Presidents, but I think there's another one of the "x State"
>style that I don't remember.

Is that "Old Dominion"?

Barb
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:46:59 PM

Barbara Bailey wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 04:10:53 -0000, msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
>>Jeffrey Turner:

>>Keith Willoughby:
>>
>>>Bluegrass State?
>>
>>Yep.

>>Bay State.

>>Keystone State. (It's the middle one of the original 13, you see.)

>>Mother of Presidents, but I think there's another one of the "x State"
>>style that I don't remember.
>
> Is that "Old Dominion"?

Yes.

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:12:20 PM

In article <87n0344oc2.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> : 10. Which American author said (or wrote) "The report of my death was an
:> : exaggeration."?
:>
:> Mark Twain (although the quote is slightly mangled)
:
: You don't happen to have a primary source for it, do you? I've found
: several versions of the quote, and IIRC when I set the question, the
: version I've used here had the best source.

Actually, on further investigation, there do seem to be numerous versions
of the quotation floating around, even in supposedly authoritative sources.
In the U.S., the version with "greatly exaggerated" seems to get the most
currency, but unless someone turns up the original telegram or a reproduction
thereof, this question may not be answerable.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
We shall see shortly that the Archaic period also offers evidence of
another transgression altogether, one involving Tantalos, Pandareos, and
a dog, but that seems to be a separate story with its own resolution. . .
(Gantz, _Early Greek Myth_)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 7:26:40 PM

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Clouseau
>>
>> Not the one I'm thinking of. This one is from a couple of novels, and
>> makes specific reference to Conan Doyle's assertion
>
> was it Dirk Gentley

Correct!

I prefer the two Dirk Gently books to HHGTTG, too.

This is the year
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:30:14 PM

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:36:20 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
>> and assume the impossible?)
> Inspector Clouseau?

Dirk Gently.

>> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
> Sasha?

Laika.

>> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
>> (That's the British Dennis)
> Hmm. Ruff was the American Dennis...I dunno

Gnasher.

>> Country names - what are they now?
>> 31. Ceylon?
> Pakistan?

Sri Lanka. ObTrivia: How is East Pakistan now known?

>> 35. Abyssynia
> Iraq?

Ethiopia

>> Kings and Queens
>> 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
> Monaco?

Belgium. ObTrivia: Why did King Boudewijn of Belgium abdicate for a day
in 1990?

>> 38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
> Garibaldi

Grimaldi.

>> 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
> Henry VIII

VII

>> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
>> and which other foodstuff?
> Flour?

Nope.

Speicherzugriffsfehler
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:30:14 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Barbara Bailey wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:36:20 +0100, Keith Willoughby
>> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>> (ObTrivia: Which detective preferred to eliminate the improbable
>>> and assume the impossible?)
>> Inspector Clouseau?
>
>Dirk Gently.
>
>>> 28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
>> Sasha?
>
>Laika.
>
>>> 29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
>>> (That's the British Dennis)
>> Hmm. Ruff was the American Dennis...I dunno
>
>Gnasher.
>
>>> Country names - what are they now?
>>> 31. Ceylon?
>> Pakistan?
>
>Sri Lanka. ObTrivia: How is East Pakistan now known?

Bangladesh

>>> 35. Abyssynia
>> Iraq?
>
>Ethiopia
>

>>> Kings and Queens
>>> 36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
>> Monaco?
>
>Belgium. ObTrivia: Why did King Boudewijn of Belgium abdicate for a day
>in 1990?
>
>>> 38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
>> Garibaldi
>
>Grimaldi.
>
>>> 40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
>> Henry VIII
>
>VII
>
>>> 45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
>>> and which other foodstuff?
>> Flour?
>
>Nope.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Cars
1. What make of car did Starsky and Hutch drive?
Ford
2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world championship in
1968?
Ferrari
3. How was car pioneer Lord Nuffield better known?
(William) Morris
4. Which make of car was named after the founder of the city of Detroit?
Cadillac
5. Which car manufacturer also produces military aircraft, including
Viggen and Draken?
SAAB
Quotes
6. Who first wrote, "From each according to his abilities, to each according
to his needs"?
Karl Marx
7. Which King's last words were reputed to be "Bugger Bognor"?
King George V
8. Which author of detective stories wrote "...when you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Arthur Conan Doyle
9. Which US president said "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its
stupidity."?
Dwight D Eisenhower
10. Which American author said "The report of my death was an exaggeration."?
Mark Twain
Literature
11. In which Oscar Wilde play was a baby found in a handbag?
The Importance of Being Earnest
12. According to Marlowe, who had a face that launched a thousand ships?
Helen of Troy
13. Pyramus and Thisbe by Greek writer Ovid was the basis of which
Shakespeare play?
Romeo and Juliet
14. What was the name of William Brown's gang in the Just William books?
The Outlaws
15. What is the name of the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?
The Mousetrap
Film
16. What two words did Robert Michum's character have tatooed on his knuckles
in the film Night of the Hunter?
Love, hate
17. Of which boat was Charlie Allnut the captain?
The African Queen
18. Clayton Moore played him but - Who was that masked man
The Lone Ranger
19. Who played Sergeant Yorke in Sergeant York, Mr Deeds in Mr Deeds Goes to
Town, and Beau Geste in Beau Geste?
Gary Cooper
20. Which Oscar winning actress played Tallulah in Bugsy Malone?
Jodie Foster
Music
21. In 1966, which singer was called Judas during a performance at the
Manchester Free Trade Hall?
Bob Dylan
22. Who composed the music to the German National Anthem - was it Beethoven,
Bach, or Haydn?
Haydn
23. How is the song The Defence of Fort McHenry better known?
Star Spangled Banner
24. Who was at number one in September 1968 with Those Were The Days?
Mary Hopkin
25. Who was at number one in June 1977 with Lucille?
Kenny Rogers
Dogs
26. What was the name of Doctor Who's robot dog?
K-9
27. What breed of dog is Snoopy?
Beagle
28. What was the name of the first dog in space?
Laika
29. What was the name of Dennis The Menace's dog?
Gnasher
30. What was the name of the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades,
according to greek mythology?
Cerberus
Country names
31. Ceylon?
Sri Lanka
32. Formosa
Taiwan
33. Siam
Thailand
34. Persia
Iran
35. Abyssynia
Ethiopia
Kings and Queens
36. Of which European Country has Albert II been king since 1993?
Belgium
37. Of which country did King Abdullah II become king in 1999?
Jordan
38. What is the family name of the royal family of Monaco?
Grimaldi
39. Who was King of Egypt from 1937 - 1952
King Farouk
40. Who was King of England, 1485-1509
Henry VII
General Knowledge
41. How many permanent members of the UN security council are there?
5
42. Who was president of the Girl Guides Association of Great Britain from
1965 to 2002?
Princess Margaret
43. In 1952 Britain declared a state of emergency because of the activities
of the Mau Mau rebels, but in which African country?
Kenya
44. Which was published first, the Beano or the Dandy?
Dandy (1937 vs. 1938)
45. Rationing in Britain began on January 8th 1940, with bacon/ham, butter,
and which other foodstuff?
Sugar
46. Tallinn is the capital of which European country?
Estonia
47. Who is vice-president of the USA?
Dick Cheney
48. Who painted the painting Guernica?
Picasso
49. Which TV character often said "Book 'em Danno"?
Steve McGarret
50. U Thant, former secretary general of the United Nations, was from which
Asian country?
Burma/Myanmar
51. Which English cricketer has captained England in the most test matches?
(male!)
Michael Atherton
52. According to the New Testament, who was converted on the road to
Damascus?
Paul
53. According to the Royal and Ancient rules, what is the maximum number of
clubs a golfer can carry in his bag?
14
54. Of which European country is Eduard Sheverdnadze president?
Georgia
55. In which chilren's television series would you find Madeleine, Gabriel
the toad, and Professor Yaffle?
Bagpuss
56. Who became the oldest astronaut to go into space in 1998?
John Glenn
57. Who succeeded JFK as president of the USA?
Lyndon Johnson
58. The name of which festival translates literally into English as "Fat
Tuesday"?
Mardi Gras
59. In which US state is Fort Knox?
Kentucky
60. What colour are Bart Simpson's shorts?
Blue

"You've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it."
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:15:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> You'd think it would be lightning, but a 'drake' is a male duck as
> well as . . .

In English, not in Swedish.

However, I forgot that "drake" in Swedish also can mean "kite"...

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:01:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> >> The Importance of Being Earnest. ObTrivia : Where?
> > One of the stations. Kings Cross?
> Nope. Hint: we need to know which station and which side.

Nobody? Victoria station, Brighton side.

At the time, Victoria was really two stations owned by separate
companies, the London, Brighton and South Coast and the London,
Chatham and Dover; but it was commonly spoken of as a single station
comprising a "Brighton side" and a "Chatham side". An opening between
the two "sides" was not made until 1924, when the two companies had
been merged (along with others) into the Southern Railway.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*I* never have problems distinguishing
msb@vex.net | Peter Seebach and Steve Summit!" -- Steve Summit

June 17, 2004 8:57:17 PM

> matt wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> >> Not the one I'm thinking of. This one is from a couple of novels, and
> >> makes specific reference to Conan Doyle's assertion
> >
> > was it Dirk Gentley
>
> Correct!
>
> I prefer the two Dirk Gently books to HHGTTG, too.
>
> --
> Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
> This is the year

IMHO

The Guide is the best - then the Dirk Gently book - then the others. Did
you ever read the Salmon of Doubt - I was going to buy it then I read a
quote from someone who was very close to Adams who said he (adams) would
have been horrified to think that it would be published ( ie that the reason
it wasnt publshed in his lifetime was that he did not think the material
worthy of publication) so i decided not to buy/read it.

regards

matthew
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 9:02:58 PM

Matthew Newell wrote:

> The Guide is the best - then the Dirk Gently book - then the others. Did
> you ever read the Salmon of Doubt - I was going to buy it then I read a
> quote from someone who was very close to Adams who said he (adams) would
> have been horrified to think that it would be published ( ie that the reason
> it wasnt publshed in his lifetime was that he did not think the material
> worthy of publication) so i decided not to buy/read it.

I own it, and I've read all various stuff (magazine articles, etc) that
make up the first half of the book. I've never actually got around to
reading the unfinished novel, though, for that very reason.

"The catcher hits for .318 and catches every day
The pitcher puts religion first and rests on holidays"
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:52:05 PM

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> > > One of the stations. Kings Cross?
> > Nope. Hint: we need to know which station and which side.
>
> Nobody? Victoria station, Brighton side.

Well, Wilde's phrase is "The Brighton Line",
as Lady Bracknell then gets to say "The line is immaterial"
--
Gareth Owen
Space people read our mail.

> 2. What make of car did Graham Hill drive to the F1 world
> championship in
> 1968?
> Ferrari
Incorrect he won in a Lotus.