Firewire port question


I have a compaq cq61 312sa and understand that I need an iLink cable from my 4-pin Sony camcorder connected to a fire-wire port in the laptop in order to be able to download the video tapes from the camcorder to my hard drive.

How would I know if I had a fire wire port, please?

6 answers Last reply
More about firewire port question
  1. According to the specs listed for your system, it does not have a firewire port (IEEE 1394):

    Does your camcorder have removable storage media? What model are you using?
  2. Hello COLGeek

    Many thanks for your reply.

    The model is: DCR-TRV120E.

    Thanks again.
  3. I know of no way to add firewire to your laptop. And, I have a similar Sony camcorder that does not have removable media (as yours appears to do as well). An option would be to use a program/adapter like these to use your A/V cable to connect to your laptop: (includes the needed adapter and the software to manage the importing of video)
  4. Hi :)

    If your lappy has a PCMCIA slot...get a Firewire PCMCIA card...

    All the best Brett :)
  5. Many thanks to you both (again) for the links and ideas.

    I will check out my computer specs (re PCMCIA slot) and ask in my local shop about getting round the firewire issue.

    Cheers!!!! :)
  6. The specs do not indicate a PCMCIA or PC Cardbus slot. Otherwise, Brett928S2 would be spot on.
Ask a new question

Read More

Firewire Camcorders Laptops Product