Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pub Quiz [Uffington Wassail -- The Paul Oakenfold Remix]

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzle (More info?)

April 20, 2004

1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?
3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?
7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
mutineers colonise?
8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?
9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
it last?
11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
Bonus: What number was he assigned?
12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
Camel got his hump"?
13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?
15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?
18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
curve but does not cut it?
19. Who was the Roman God of War?
20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
service, it was announced this week?
23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
and what was the score?
25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
international water polo this week?

--Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"

26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?
27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?
29. What is the first element in the periodic table?
30. Name the six noble gases?
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:29:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzle (More info?)

In article <r5iekofhlfd.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

: April 20, 2004
:
: 1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"

I spins it, Asphalt

: 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?

Is that when the farmer found that hoard of ancient Roman silver?

: 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?

Samuel Johnson

: 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
: mutineers colonise?

Fletcher Christian; Pitcairn Island

: 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?

240

: 9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?

Mah Johngg

: 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
: it last?

The Hundred Years' War, which lasted 117 years.

: Bonus: What number was he assigned?

Portmeiron; Patrick McGoohan was Number Six.

: 12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
: Camel got his hump"?

Rudyard Kipling, you naughty boy.

: 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

Sailing.

: 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?

The Cam.

: 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

November.

: 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
: curve but does not cut it?

Tangent.

: 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

Mars.

: --Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
:
: 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?

Mendeleev.

: 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?

Seven

: 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

Hydrogen

: 30. Name the six noble gases?

Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
Department of Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
Opinions expressed are mine alone, and not those of Bar-Ilan University
-----
"To be, or not to be, I there's the point,
To Die, to sleepe, is that all? I all;
No, to sleepe, to dreame, I mary there it goes. . ."
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:33:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 16 Jun 2004 11:00:38 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>April 20, 2004
>
>1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
>2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?
Automobiles

>3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
A viking-age village

>4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
Tiger for pure carnivore. Bears may be larger, but they're really
omnivores.

>5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
Samuel Johnson's

>6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?
Fat

>7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty?
Fletcher Christian
> Bonus: Which island did the
> mutineers colonise?
Pitcairn's Island

>8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?
240

>9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
>10. What was the longest war in recorded history?
100 years War
> Bonus: How long did
> it last?
116 years?

>11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
> Bonus: What number was he assigned?
#6

>12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
> Camel got his hump"?
Rudyard Kipling

>13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
> its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
> Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
1969

>14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?
Yacht Racing

>15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
The Cam

>16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
>17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?
November

>18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
> curve but does not cut it?
Tangent

>19. Who was the Roman God of War?
Mars

>20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
>21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
>22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
> service, it was announced this week?
>23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
>24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
> and what was the score?
>25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
> international water polo this week?
>
>--Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
>
>26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?
>27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
gold, tin, blank on the other two

>28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?
>29. What is the first element in the periodic table?
>30. Name the six noble gases?


Can you tell I never paid attention in Chemistry?

Barb
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 10:44:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzle (More info?)

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> : 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
>
> Is that when the farmer found that hoard of ancient Roman silver?

It isn't. You're probably thinking of the Mildenhall Treasure
which was discovered around the same time (1943).
http://www.mildenhallmuseum.co.uk/mildenhall_treasure.h...

--
Gareth Owen
"I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 10:45:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:

> >3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
> A viking-age village

Nope.

> >4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
> Bears may be larger, but they're really omnivores.

Only those that live in regions that support vegetation :) 

> Can you tell I never paid attention in Chemistry?

I can't do geography, myself.
--
Gareth Owen
"I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 10:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 16 Jun 2004 18:45:53 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:
>
>> >3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
>> A viking-age village
>
>Nope.
>
>> >4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
>> Bears may be larger, but they're really omnivores.
>
>Only those that live in regions that support vegetation :) 

Tel the people who live in Churchill that there's no vegetation...

>> Can you tell I never paid attention in Chemistry?
>
>I can't do geography, myself.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:19:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:

> >> >4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
> >> Bears may be larger, but they're really omnivores.
> >
> >Only those that live in regions that support vegetation :) 
>
> Tel the people who live in Churchill that there's no vegetation...

Allow the people who live in Churchill that Polar Bears mainly live on seals
and mainly live on fat reserves while hanging in Manitoba.
http://www.churchillmb.net/~cnsc/ab-attrac-bears.html

--
Gareth Owen
"I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:19:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <r5i1xkfe56o.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>,
Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:
>
>> >> >4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
>> >> Bears may be larger, but they're really omnivores.
>> >
>> >Only those that live in regions that support vegetation :) 
>>
>> Tel the people who live in Churchill that there's no vegetation...
>
>Allow the people who live in Churchill that Polar Bears mainly live on seals
>and mainly live on fat reserves while hanging in Manitoba.

Well, that and American tourists... but I guess that counts as "fat reserves".
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:28:32 -0500, russotto@grace.speakeasy.net
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>In article <r5i1xkfe56o.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>,
>Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:
>>
>>> >> >4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
>>> >> Bears may be larger, but they're really omnivores.
>>> >
>>> >Only those that live in regions that support vegetation :) 
>>>
>>> Tel the people who live in Churchill that there's no vegetation...
>>
>>Allow the people who live in Churchill that Polar Bears mainly live on seals
>>and mainly live on fat reserves while hanging in Manitoba.
>
>Well, that and American tourists... but I guess that counts as "fat reserves".

OK, so I had a teacher who was a stickler. They're classified as
Carnivoria, but do in fact eat berries and lichen and such during part
of the year when thay can get them. As far as Mr. S was concerned,
that made them omnivores-by definition-, regardless of classification.

I yield.

Gotta love nitpicking, though.

Barb
>
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:33:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzle (More info?)

In article <r5in033e6sy.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:
:
:> : 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
:>
:> Is that when the farmer found that hoard of ancient Roman silver?
:
: It isn't. You're probably thinking of the Mildenhall Treasure
: which was discovered around the same time (1943).

Yes, the Mildenhall Treasure is what I was thinking of.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
Department of Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
Opinions expressed are mine alone, and not those of Bar-Ilan University
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"
!