MACHINE ACCOUNT PASSROD PROBLEM

I recently purchased a computer running Windows XP Professional from a repo
auction at self-storage unit. The problem I am having is that when I turn it
on the welcome screen comes up and then a window on top of it that provides a
user name and requires a password. The computer did not come with system
disks of any sort. Is there a way to bypass this pop up window? It is very
much like the login window of Windows 98. The computer will not allow me to
even start in safe mode with out this password. Is there a way to get to MS
DOS and either retreive this password or remove this completely? I did not
know that Windows XP has this capability.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Maybe this will help..
How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

"Beret" <Beret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a computer running Windows XP Professional from a repo
> auction at self-storage unit. The problem I am having is that when I turn
> it
> on the welcome screen comes up and then a window on top of it that
> provides a
> user name and requires a password. The computer did not come with system
> disks of any sort. Is there a way to bypass this pop up window? It is very
> much like the login window of Windows 98. The computer will not allow me
> even start in safe mode with out this password. Is there a way to get to
> MS
> DOS and either retreive this password or remove this completely? I did not
> know that Windows XP has this capability.

And it wont help "Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs."

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3osZd.29290$Q83.7567@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
| Maybe this will help..
| How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
| expires
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

Will a Password reset disk do it?? I can get the reboot disks from Microsoft
and do a clean install, the problem is I can't get into the system to get the
product key... I know you can get it changed but will I be able to get it out
of the computer after I do a clean install? If not I will have to try the
password reset disk and hope that it works.

"» mrtee «" wrote:

> And it wont help "Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs."
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3osZd.29290$Q83.7567@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> | Maybe this will help..
> | How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
> | expires
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

Since you don't know the history of the computer, you're really better off
formatting the drive and reloading a fresh copy of Windows.

> Will a Password reset disk do it?? I can get the reboot disks from
> Microsoft
> and do a clean install, the problem is I can't get into the system to get
> the
> product key... I know you can get it changed but will I be able to get it
> out
> of the computer after I do a clean install? If not I will have to try the
> password reset disk and hope that it works.
>
> "» mrtee «" wrote:
>
>> And it wont help "Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and
>> you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot
>> log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This
>> information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and
>> to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean"
>> installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then
>> reinstall all your programs."
>>
>> --
>> Just my 2¢ worth,
>> Jeff
>> "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> | Maybe this will help..
>> | How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your
>> password
>> | expires
>> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

2 options as I see it.

1- buy a copy of windows, it will have product key and your legal.

2- purchase a temp version of ERD commander from
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp?pid=erd
and use it to reset the password. locksmith is a great tool.

but personally, i would purchase a new copy of windows and fresh install.

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"