Pub Quiz [Uffington Wassail -- The Paul Oakenfold Remix]

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

April 20, 2004

1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?
3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?
7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
mutineers colonise?
8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?
9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
it last?
11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
Bonus: What number was he assigned?
12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
Camel got his hump"?
13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?
15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?
18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
curve but does not cut it?
19. Who was the Roman God of War?
20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
service, it was announced this week?
23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
and what was the score?
25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
international water polo this week?

--Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"

26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?
27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?
29. What is the first element in the periodic table?
30. Name the six noble gases?
23 answers Last reply
More about quiz uffington wassail paul oakenfold remix
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > April 20, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
    > 2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?

    Automobiles

    > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
    > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?

    Polar Bear

    > 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
    > 6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?

    Fat - 9 calories (Kcal) per gram.

    > 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
    > mutineers colonise?

    Pitcairn Island

    > 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?
    > 9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
    > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
    > it last?

    Hundred Years War - 132 years?

    > 11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
    > Bonus: What number was he assigned?

    Number Six

    > 12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
    > Camel got his hump"?

    Rudyard Kipling

    > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
    > 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

    Yachting

    > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
    > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?

    Sherlock Holmes

    > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

    November

    > 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
    > curve but does not cut it?

    Tangent

    > 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

    Mars

    > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
    > 22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
    > service, it was announced this week?
    > 23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
    > 24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
    > and what was the score?
    > 25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
    > international water polo this week?
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
    >
    > 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?
    > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?

    Tin, Lead, Gold,

    > 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?
    > 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

    Hydrogen

    > 30. Name the six noble gases?

    Neon, Xenon, Argon

    --Jeff

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:
    > 2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?

    Cars

    > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?

    Lion does not sound right, but I can't think of anyting else.

    > 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
    > mutineers colonise?

    The island is Pitcairn.

    > 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?

    240.

    > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
    > it last?

    Could be the 100-year war between England and France. Which lasted over
    100 years. Then again, it was more a series of wars than a single one.

    > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?

    1969. (Or was it 1970?)

    > 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

    Sailing.

    > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

    November.

    > 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
    > curve but does not cut it?

    Tangent.

    > 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

    Mars.

    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?

    Violet?

    > 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?

    Mendeliev.

    > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?

    Tin, lead, gold, zinc. I would use "chrome" for Cr, but maybe that
    is chromium in proper English. And I guess I need to look up a dictionary
    to find the English names for F, Cl and Br. (All one-syllable in Swedish.)

    > 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?

    Seven.

    > 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

    Hydrogen.

    > 30. Name the six noble gases?

    (Good clue for question 28!)

    Helium, neon, argon, xenon, krypton and radon. With reservations for that
    English spellings maybe somewhat different.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > April 20, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"

    This Is Spinal Tap

    > 2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?

    cars

    > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
    > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?

    tiger

    > 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
    > 6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?
    > 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
    > mutineers colonise?
    > 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?

    240

    > 9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
    > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
    > it last?
    > 11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
    > Bonus: What number was he assigned?

    Portmeirion; I am not a number, I am a free man, but you can call me "Six."

    > 12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
    > Camel got his hump"?
    > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?

    1968

    > 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

    yacht racing

    > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?

    the Charles (Massachusetts)

    > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?

    Yes, that's correct.

    > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

    November

    > 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
    > curve but does not cut it?

    tangent

    > 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

    Mars

    > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
    > 22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
    > service, it was announced this week?
    > 23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
    > 24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
    > and what was the score?
    > 25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
    > international water polo this week?
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
    >
    > 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?

    Mendeleev

    > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?

    tin, gold, lead, zinc

    > 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?
    > 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

    hydrogen

    > 30. Name the six noble gases?

    helium, neon, argon, xenon, krypton, radon
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Jeffrey Turner wrote:
    > Gareth Owen wrote:

    >> 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table? 27. Name the
    >> FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
    >

    > Tin, Lead, Gold,

    Zinc

    --Jeff

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog wrote:
    > Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:

    >>13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    >> its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    >> Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
    >
    > 1969. (Or was it 1970?)
    Those were my thoughts, but probably reversed

    >>27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
    >
    > Tin, lead, gold, zinc. I would use "chrome" for Cr, but maybe that
    > is chromium in proper English. And I guess I need to look up a dictionary
    > to find the English names for F, Cl and Br. (All one-syllable in Swedish.)

    Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine

    >>30. Name the six noble gases?
    >
    > (Good clue for question 28!)

    :)

    > Helium, neon, argon, xenon, krypton and radon. With reservations for that
    > English spellings maybe somewhat different.

    You nailed the spellings.

    --Jeff

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <r5i8yenhleu.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > April 20, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
    > 2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?

    automobiles

    > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
    > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?

    tiger

    > 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?
    > 6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?

    fat

    > 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
    > mutineers colonise?

    Fletcher Christian. Pitcairn Island.

    > 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?
    > 9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?
    > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
    > it last?
    > 11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
    > Bonus: What number was he assigned?
    > 12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
    > Camel got his hump"?

    Rudyard Kipling

    > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?

    1969

    > 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

    yachting

    > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?

    Cam

    > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
    > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

    October (Canadian) / November (U.S.)

    > 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
    > curve but does not cut it?

    tangent

    > 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

    Mars

    > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
    > 22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
    > service, it was announced this week?
    > 23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
    > 24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
    > and what was the score?
    > 25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
    > international water polo this week?
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
    >
    > 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?

    Mendeleev

    > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?

    lead, tin, gold, zinc

    > 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic table?

    six?

    > 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

    hydrogen

    > 30. Name the six noble gases?

    helium, argon, neon, krypton, xenon, radon

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <cap9a2$bvm@dispatch.concentric.net>, ACE1242@concentric.net says...
    > "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
    >
    > the Charles (Massachusetts)

    Nope. It does not run *through* Cambridge. It separates
    Cambridge and Boston.

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cap9a2$bvm@dispatch.concentric.net>, ACE1242@concentric.net
    says...
    > > "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
    > >
    > > the Charles (Massachusetts)
    >
    > Nope. It does not run *through* Cambridge. It separates
    > Cambridge and Boston.

    Agreed. I was just being a smart***. Surely Gareth was referrring to some
    other Cambridge.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?

    A burial mound. A boat was the biggest thing in there.

    > 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?

    Johnson

    > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?

    Barr?

    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?

    Red

    > 25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
    > international water polo this week?

    Prince William?

    "on day release from hopelessness"
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Steve Grant wrote:

    > "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?
    >
    > the Charles (Massachusetts)

    You need a disclaimer, Gareth.

    "The pride and luxury in which he was educated had not allowed him to suspect
    that there existed on the earth any power presumptuous enough to invade the
    repose of the successor of Augustus." - Gibbon
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In message <caplqc$gul@dispatch.concentric.net>, Steve Grant
    <ACE1242@concentric.net> writes
    >"Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <cap9a2$bvm@dispatch.concentric.net>, ACE1242@concentric.net
    >says...
    >> > "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > the Charles (Massachusetts)
    >>
    >> Nope. It does not run *through* Cambridge. It separates
    >> Cambridge and Boston.
    >
    >Agreed. I was just being a smart***. Surely Gareth was referrring to some
    >other Cambridge.

    But not the one in Cambridgeshire. The Granta runs into it, and there
    (at the weir by Laundress Green) changes its name to the Cam; so there
    is no river that runs through it.

    The world's largest land carnivore is the polar bear.

    Nick
    --
    Nick Wedd nick@maproom.co.uk
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Somebody claiming to be Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote in news:r5i8yenhleu.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk:

    > April 20, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - Movie - "Pianist's Asp Hilt"
    > 2. What is the main manufacturing industry in Detroit?

    2. I don't think crime counts as manufacturing, so I'll say automobiles

    > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
    > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?

    4.

    > 5. Whose biography did James Boswell write in 1791?

    5. Samuel Johnson

    > 6. What has more calories - Fat or Sugar?

    6. Fat has 9 calories per gram; sugar has 4 calories per gram.

    > 7. Who led the mutiny on the Bounty? Bonus: Which island did the
    > mutineers colonise?

    7. Fletcher Christian? Bonus: Pitcairn Island.

    > 8. How many old pennies were there in a pound?

    8. Assuming you mean pre-decimalization, 240.

    > 9. What is sometimes known as the 'Game of Four Winds'?

    9. Mah-Jongg

    > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history? Bonus: How long did
    > it last?

    10. Hundred Years' War. Bonus: 116 years

    > 11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
    > Bonus: What number was he assigned?

    11. Bonus: 6

    > 12. Which novelist wrote 'How the leopard got his spots' and 'How the
    > Camel got his hump"?

    12. Boy: Do you like Kipling?
    Girl: I don't know, you naughty boy; I've never kippled!

    > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?

    13. 1969 CE

    > 14. With which sport do you associate the America's Cup?

    14. Yachting

    > 15. Which River runs through Cambridge?

    15. Cam

    > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?

    16. Hamlet?

    > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?

    17. Thurdsday

    > 18. In geometry, what is the name for a straight line that touches a
    > curve but does not cut it?

    18. Tangent. Of course, in geometry, "straight line" is redundant.

    > 19. Who was the Roman God of War?

    19. Mars

    > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
    > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
    > 22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of
    > service, it was announced this week?
    > 23. Who won best actor/ actress at the Bafta's this week?
    > 24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
    > and what was the score?

    24. Leicester d. Bath 29-10, or some such

    > 25. Which public figure has donned a pair of speedos to play
    > international water polo this week?
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "The Periodic Table"
    >
    > 26. Who classified the elements into the periodic table?

    26. Mendeleev

    > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?

    27. Gold, Tin, Lead, and... Bor? Chlor? Jod?

    > 28. Currently, how many periods (rows) are there on the periodic
    > table?

    28. Seven

    > 29. What is the first element in the periodic table?

    29. Hydrogen

    > 30. Name the six noble gases?

    30. Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon

    --
    Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

    Nick Wedd <nick@maproom.co.uk> writes:

    > But not the one in Cambridgeshire. The Granta runs into it, and there (at
    > the weir by Laundress Green) changes its name to the Cam; so there is no
    > river that runs through it.

    Well, there is definitely a river. It changes names, but its still a river
    running through Cambridge. The Cam or the Granta is fine.

    > The world's largest land carnivore is the polar bear.

    It is

    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"

    Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

    > > 10. What was the longest war in recorded history?
    > > Bonus: How long did it last?
    >
    > Hundred Years War

    Correct

    > 132 years?

    Less than that

    > > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Incorrect

    > > 22. Who will no longer be playing the trumpet after 20 years of service,
    > > it was announced this week?

    This question is wrong. The instrument was a trombone.

    All the rest correct.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog <sommar@algonet.se> writes:

    > > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
    >
    > Lion does not sound right, but I can't think of anyting else.

    Wrong

    > > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
    >
    > 1969. (Or was it 1970?)

    '69

    > > 21. What colour are the seats in the House of Lords?
    >
    > Violet?

    Not really.

    All the rest correct
    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> writes:

    > > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
    >
    > tiger

    Nope

    > > 11. In which welsh village was the TV series The Prisoner filmed?
    > > Bonus: What number was he assigned?
    >
    > Portmeirion; I am not a number, I am a free man, but you can call me "Six."

    Of course, some people will tell you that he is also number one.

    "Who is number one?"
    "You are, number six"

    > > 13. In which year did the following events take place. Concorde took
    > > its maiden flight, Midnight Cowboy won the Best Picture Oscar and
    > > Jimi Hendrix (among others) played Woodstock?
    >
    > 1968

    Wrong

    > > 16. William Hartnell was the first actor to play who?
    >
    > Yes, that's correct.

    Which was also my answer (I competed in, rather than set these questions)
    Got the marks, too.

    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

    > > 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
    >
    > tiger

    Nope.

    All the others good, though.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

    > Gareth Owen wrote:
    >
    > > 3. What archeological discovery was made at Sutton Hoo in 1939?
    >
    > A burial mound. A boat was the biggest thing in there.

    Indeed. A boat dating from the early 7th century was interred under a barrow,
    possibly as part of the burial ceremony of Raedwald of East Anglia.

    > > 20. Which soft drinks manufacturer makes Tizer?
    >
    > Barr?

    It is

    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Ted S." <fedya@bestweb.spam> writes:

    > 2. I don't think crime counts as manufacturing, so I'll say automobiles

    Basketball, Baby!

    > > 17. In which month does the american festival of Thanksgiving fall?
    >
    > 17. Thurdsday

    Not technically a month.

    > > 24. The Powergen cup final was played on Saturday; who played,
    > > and what was the score?
    >
    > 24. Leicester d. Bath 29-10, or some such

    Neither team right.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    "I like this world. It has dog racing and Manchester United"
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <Xns950A7F40BEED7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>,
    Erland Sommarskog <sommar@algonet.se> wrote:
    >Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:

    >> 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
    >
    >Lion does not sound right, but I can't think of anyting else.

    Crocodiles get pretty friggin' big.

    Alan
    --
    Defendit numerus
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <caqa5j$ade$1@Xenon.Stanford.EDU>, amorgan@Xenon.Stanford.EDU says...
    > In article <Xns950A7F40BEED7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>,
    > Erland Sommarskog <sommar@algonet.se> wrote:
    > >Gareth Owen (usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk) writes:
    >
    > >> 4. What animal is the largest carnivore on land?
    > >
    > >Lion does not sound right, but I can't think of anyting else.
    >
    > Crocodiles get pretty friggin' big.

    I wouldn't want to encounter either. Googling for "polar bear
    weight" and "crocodile weight" yields the following:

    Polar Bear Weight

    Boars tend to be larger than sows. A boar can weigh
    500-600kg (1100-1300lbs). Sows can weight 300kg (650lbs),
    unless they are pregnant when they can weigh as much
    as a male. The largest polar bear ever found was a
    gigantic boar that was 1002kg (2209lbs) and was 3.7m
    (12') long.

    Crocodile Weight:

    Saltwater crocodile—up to 2,000 pounds (908 kilograms);
    most species are 1,000 pounds (454 kilograms) or less.

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Ted S." <fedya@bestweb.spam> writes:
    > > 27. Name the FOUR elements have only ONE syllable?
    >
    > 27. Gold, Tin, Lead, and... Bor? Chlor? Jod?

    OK, why I see you pee?

    (and aitch, bee, en, and vee, of course.)

    Phil

    --
    1st bug in MS win2k source code found after 20 minutes: scanline.cpp
    2nd and 3rd bug found after 10 more minutes: gethost.c

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:54:34 +0100, Nick Wedd <nick@maproom.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >In message <caplqc$gul@dispatch.concentric.net>, Steve Grant
    ><ACE1242@concentric.net> writes
    >>"Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
    >>> In article <cap9a2$bvm@dispatch.concentric.net>, ACE1242@concentric.net
    >>says...

    >>> Nope. It does not run *through* Cambridge. It separates
    >>> Cambridge and Boston.
    >>
    >>Agreed. I was just being a smart***. Surely Gareth was referrring to some
    >>other Cambridge.
    >
    >But not the one in Cambridgeshire. The Granta runs into it, and there
    >(at the weir by Laundress Green) changes its name to the Cam; so there
    >is no river that runs through it.
    >
    >The world's largest land carnivore is the polar bear.
    >
    >Nick
    Well, maybe. You've got ambiguities about both "land"
    and "carnivore". Is a crocidile a land carnivore? They go up on land
    sometimes, but they spend a lot of time in the water. But so do polar
    bears! And if we're using "carnivore" to include omnivores,
    what about hippos? For that matter how about elephants? Surre they're
    mostly herbivores, but I've heard that most hebivores will eat meat
    once in a while, and in particular, just about any creature on earh
    will eat an afterbirth given a chance.

    Personally, I'm going to interpret "land" as essentially meaning
    "air breather", and put in my vote for the blue whate. Plankton is
    pretty clearly meat, at least.

    George

Video Games