Pub Quiz 14 - 20030508 - Irk the Purists

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post them. I'm
supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and I've only done 22 out
of 60. Sigh.

Numbers
1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
Nest?
2. In which year of the 60s did BBC2 start broadcasting?
3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?
4. Who composed The Four Seasons?
5. What was the name of the island the Famouse Five have their first
adventure on?
6. In 1968, Gary Sobers hit six sixes in an over. Who was the bowler?
7. The Magnificent Seven was based on what Japanese film?
8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?
9. Who was the female comedian in Not The Nine O'Clock News?
10. Who played John Christie in the film 10 Rillington Place?
Richard Attenborough

Pontypridd. Here's a challenge!

11. Who designed the Old Bridge?
12. In which decade did Pontypridd RFC move to Sardis Road?
13. What was the surname of the Pontypridd composers of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?
14. What was Tom Jones's real name?
15. Who was MP for Pontypridd before Kim Howells?

Current Affairs
16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?
17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
18. What was the name of the aircraft carried President Bush landed on last
week?
19. Who was confirmed as Welsh First Minister yesterday?
20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
Here?

Colours
21. Which 1997 film starred Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K?
22. Jefferson Airplane had a 1967 hit with which Lewis Carrol-inspired song?
23. What is the name of the mountain range to the west of Sydney, Australia?
24. What is the nickname of the American Football team in Cleveland?
25. Which medal is given to US soldiers who are wounded in battle?

Johns
26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?
27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
28. Which John married Tatum O'Neill in 1986?
29. Which John was second president of the US?
30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?

Blockbusters
31. Which TMOTF is a novel by George Eliot?
32. Which TMOF is an opera by Mozart?
33. Which PEI is a Canadian province?
34. Which AAE won the best picture Oscar in 1951?
35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?
36. Which JPS wrote the philosophical work Existentialism and Humanism?
37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?
38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?
39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?
40. Cricket: Which JH holds the record for most first class runs scored, with
61,760?

General Knowledge

41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County, which is in which US
state?
42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and is
commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
43. Which Jewish festival is also called the Festival of Lights and
celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians?
44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?
45. Who was the only Prime Minister of the UK to be born Jewish?
46. What is the capital of the Phillipines?
47. Who wrote the novel The Prince and the Pauper?
48. From which language does the word alcohol descend?
49. Who is the current bishop of Rome?
50. Who in the 70s recorded the albums Live at Treorchy and We All Had
Doctors Papers?
51. Who was head of the CIA from January 1976 to January 1977?
52. How, collectively, are the first ten amendments to the US constitution
known?
53. In 1962, who did Sonny Liston knock out to become world heavweight boxing
champion?
54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?
55. Who had a number one hit in 1984 with 99 Red Balloons?
56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?
57. Which artist designed the Blue Peter logo?
58. The Soldier's Song is the national anthem of which European country?
59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
Australia, even if you wanted to)?
60. Who was elected President of France in November 1945?

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend

Keith Willoughby writes:

> Numbers
> 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
> Nest?
> 2. In which year of the 60s did BBC2 start broadcasting?
> 3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?

Man About the House

> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?

Vivaldi.

> 5. What was the name of the island the Famouse Five have their first
> adventure on?
> 6. In 1968, Gary Sobers hit six sixes in an over. Who was the bowler?
> 7. The Magnificent Seven was based on what Japanese film?

The Seven Samurai.

> 8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?

Catherine of Aragon?

> 9. Who was the female comedian in Not The Nine O'Clock News?
> 10. Who played John Christie in the film 10 Rillington Place?
> Richard Attenborough

Lemme guess. Could it be... Richard Attenborough?

> Pontypridd. Here's a challenge!

My mother was born there. Do I win any points for that?

> 11. Who designed the Old Bridge?
> 12. In which decade did Pontypridd RFC move to Sardis Road?
> 13. What was the surname of the Pontypridd composers of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?
> 14. What was Tom Jones's real name?
> 15. Who was MP for Pontypridd before Kim Howells?
>
> Current Affairs
> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
> murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?
> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?

Mercury. (Of course Venus has done it since then.)

> 18. What was the name of the aircraft carried President Bush landed on last
> week?

Hornet.

> 19. Who was confirmed as Welsh First Minister yesterday?
> 20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
> Here?
>
> Colours
> 21. Which 1997 film starred Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K?

Men in Black.

> 22. Jefferson Airplane had a 1967 hit with which Lewis Carrol-inspired song?
> 23. What is the name of the mountain range to the west of Sydney, Australia?

Blue Mountains.

> 24. What is the nickname of the American Football team in Cleveland?

Browns.

> 25. Which medal is given to US soldiers who are wounded in battle?

Purple Heart.

> Johns
> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?
> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
> 28. Which John married Tatum O'Neill in 1986?
> 29. Which John was second president of the US?

Adams.

> 30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?
>
> Blockbusters
> 31. Which TMOTF is a novel by George Eliot?

The Mill on the Floss.

> 32. Which TMOF is an opera by Mozart?

The Marriage of Figaro.

> 33. Which PEI is a Canadian province?

Well, PEI is what we usually call it! Prince Edward Island.

> 34. Which AAE won the best picture Oscar in 1951?

All About Eve.

> 35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?

Werner von Braun.

> 36. Which JPS wrote the philosophical work Existentialism and Humanism?

Jean-Paul Sartre.

> 37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?

Battle of the... um... Neva?

> 38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?

St. Mary Mead.

> 39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?

Colossus of Rhodes.

> 40. Cricket: Which JH holds the record for most first class runs scored, with
> 61,760?
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County, which is in which US
> state?

Kentucky.

> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and is
> commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
> 43. Which Jewish festival is also called the Festival of Lights and
> celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians?

Hanukkah/Chanukah.

> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?

Charleston.

> 45. Who was the only Prime Minister of the UK to be born Jewish?

Disraeli.

> 46. What is the capital of the Phillipines?

Manila.

> 47. Who wrote the novel The Prince and the Pauper?

Mark Twain.

> 48. From which language does the word alcohol descend?

Arabic.

> 49. Who is the current bishop of Rome?

John Paul II.

> 50. Who in the 70s recorded the albums Live at Treorchy and We All Had
> Doctors Papers?
> 51. Who was head of the CIA from January 1976 to January 1977?

George H.W. Bush?

> 52. How, collectively, are the first ten amendments to the US constitution
> known?

Bill of Rights. Subsidiary trivia: which other amendment (by number) was
proposed at the same time as first ten?

> 53. In 1962, who did Sonny Liston knock out to become world heavweight boxing
> champion?
> 54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?

USA?

> 55. Who had a number one hit in 1984 with 99 Red Balloons?

Nena.

> 56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?

Gin?

> 57. Which artist designed the Blue Peter logo?
> 58. The Soldier's Song is the national anthem of which European country?
> 59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
> Australia, even if you wanted to)?

New Guinea?

> 60. Who was elected President of France in November 1945?

Charles de Gaulle.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
msb@vex.net | Contra hos motores bos!" -- A. D. Godley

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post them. I'm
> supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and I've only done 22 out
> of 60. Sigh.
>
> Numbers
> 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
> Nest?
> 2. In which year of the 60s did BBC2 start broadcasting?
> 3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?
> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?

Vivaldi

> 5. What was the name of the island the Famouse Five have their first
> adventure on?
> 6. In 1968, Gary Sobers hit six sixes in an over. Who was the bowler?
> 7. The Magnificent Seven was based on what Japanese film?

....Samurai...

> 8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?

Jane? Not to be confused with King Kong's Jane.

> 9. Who was the female comedian in Not The Nine O'Clock News?
> 10. Who played John Christie in the film 10 Rillington Place?
> Richard Attenborough

So he was

> Pontypridd. Here's a challenge!
>
> 11. Who designed the Old Bridge?

The Old Bridge Designer

> 12. In which decade did Pontypridd RFC move to Sardis Road?
> 13. What was the surname of the Pontypridd composers of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?
> 14. What was Tom Jones's real name?
> 15. Who was MP for Pontypridd before Kim Howells?
>
> Current Affairs
> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
> murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?
> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
> 18. What was the name of the aircraft carried President Bush landed on last
> week?

Abraham Lincoln

> 19. Who was confirmed as Welsh First Minister yesterday?
> 20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
> Here?
>
> Colours
> 21. Which 1997 film starred Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K?
> 22. Jefferson Airplane had a 1967 hit with which Lewis Carrol-inspired song?

White Rabbit

> 23. What is the name of the mountain range to the west of Sydney, Australia?
> 24. What is the nickname of the American Football team in Cleveland?

Browns

> 25. Which medal is given to US soldiers who are wounded in battle?

Purple Heart

> Johns
> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?
> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
> 28. Which John married Tatum O'Neill in 1986?
> 29. Which John was second president of the US?

Adams

> 30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?
>
> Blockbusters
> 31. Which TMOTF is a novel by George Eliot?
> 32. Which TMOF is an opera by Mozart?

The Marriage of Figaro

> 33. Which PEI is a Canadian province?

Prince Edward Island

> 34. Which AAE won the best picture Oscar in 1951?
> 35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?

Werner von Braun

> 36. Which JPS wrote the philosophical work Existentialism and Humanism?

Jean Paul Sartre

> 37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?
> 38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?
> 39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?

Collossus of Rhodes (quite the scholar, as well)

> 40. Cricket: Which JH holds the record for most first class runs scored, with
> 61,760?
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County, which is in which US
> state?

The Commonwealth of Kentucky

> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and is
> commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
> 43. Which Jewish festival is also called the Festival of Lights and
> celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians?

(C)Hannukah

> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?

Yorktown

> 45. Who was the only Prime Minister of the UK to be born Jewish?

Disraeli

> 46. What is the capital of the Phillipines?

(The envelope, please...)Manila

> 47. Who wrote the novel The Prince and the Pauper?

Mark Twain

> 48. From which language does the word alcohol descend?

Arabic

> 49. Who is the current bishop of Rome?

John Paul II

> 50. Who in the 70s recorded the albums Live at Treorchy and We All Had
> Doctors Papers?
> 51. Who was head of the CIA from January 1976 to January 1977?

George Bush?

> 52. How, collectively, are the first ten amendments to the US constitution
> known?

Bill of Rights

> 53. In 1962, who did Sonny Liston knock out to become world heavweight boxing
> champion?
> 54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?

Austria?

> 55. Who had a number one hit in 1984 with 99 Red Balloons?

Nena

> 56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?

Bloody Mary?

> 57. Which artist designed the Blue Peter logo?
> 58. The Soldier's Song is the national anthem of which European country?
> 59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
> Australia, even if you wanted to)?

Papua

> 60. Who was elected President of France in November 1945?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post
> them. I'm supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and
> I've only done 22 out of 60. Sigh.

Could you decrease the frequency of posting these. I'm getting
seriously behind following the threads.

I'm only going to answer questions I haven't seen anyone else
answer.

> Current Affairs
> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should
> mean life for some murderers. Who is the current Home
> Secretary?

Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that was
a few years ago.)

> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?

Milton

> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped
> cross, and is commemorated by a feast day on 30th November

Stephen

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 10. Who played John Christie in the film 10 Rillington Place?
>> Richard Attenborough
>
> Lemme guess. Could it be... Richard Attenborough?

ah heck it!

>> Pontypridd. Here's a challenge!
>
> My mother was born there. Do I win any points for that?

Really? Cool. It's a small world, etc.

>> 18. What was the name of the aircraft carried President Bush landed on last
>> week?

That's supposed to be "aircraft carrier", btw

> Hornet.

No

>> 37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?
>
> Battle of the... um... Neva?

No

>> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?
>
> Charleston.

I know little about the AWoI, to be honest, and these type of questions
are always dodgy. If I ask them these days, I'll give the date, or some
other unique information that removes doubt.

Anyway, I have a different answer.

>> 54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?
>
> USA?

No

Others correct.

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?
>
> Jane? Not to be confused with King Kong's Jane.

Nope.

>> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County, which is in
>> which US
>> state?
>
> The Commonwealth of Kentucky

Hahahaha!

>> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?
>
> Yorktown

This is the answer I have, yes.

>> 54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?
>
> Austria?

No

>> 56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?
>
> Bloody Mary?

No

>> 59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
>> Australia, even if you wanted to)?
>
> Papua

I think the island is New Guinea.

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?
>>
>>Yorktown
>
> This is the answer I have, yes.

Mark's a Canuck. ;)
Yorktown is another famous aircraft carrier.

--Jeff

--

In article <87r7sft94r.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post them. I'm
> supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and I've only done 22 out
> of 60. Sigh.
>
> Numbers
> 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
> Nest?

Saul Zaentz was an actor?

> 2. In which year of the 60s did BBC2 start broadcasting?
> 3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?
> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?

Stravinsky?

> 5. What was the name of the island the Famouse Five have their first
> adventure on?
> 6. In 1968, Gary Sobers hit six sixes in an over. Who was the bowler?
> 7. The Magnificent Seven was based on what Japanese film?

Shichin No Samurai

> 8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?
> 9. Who was the female comedian in Not The Nine O'Clock News?
> 10. Who played John Christie in the film 10 Rillington Place?
> Richard Attenborough
>
> Pontypridd. Here's a challenge!
>
> 11. Who designed the Old Bridge?
> 12. In which decade did Pontypridd RFC move to Sardis Road?
> 13. What was the surname of the Pontypridd composers of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau?
> 14. What was Tom Jones's real name?
> 15. Who was MP for Pontypridd before Kim Howells?
>
> Current Affairs
> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
> murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?
> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?

Venus

> 18. What was the name of the aircraft carried President Bush landed on last
> week?
> 19. Who was confirmed as Welsh First Minister yesterday?
> 20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
> Here?
>
> Colours
> 21. Which 1997 film starred Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K?

Men In Black

> 22. Jefferson Airplane had a 1967 hit with which Lewis Carrol-inspired song?

White Rabbit

> 23. What is the name of the mountain range to the west of Sydney, Australia?
> 24. What is the nickname of the American Football team in Cleveland?

Browns

> 25. Which medal is given to US soldiers who are wounded in battle?

Purple heart

> Johns
> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?

John Wayne

> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
> 28. Which John married Tatum O'Neill in 1986?

John McEnroe

> 29. Which John was second president of the US?

John Adams

> 30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?
>
> Blockbusters
> 31. Which TMOTF is a novel by George Eliot?
> 32. Which TMOF is an opera by Mozart?

The Marriage Of Figaro

> 33. Which PEI is a Canadian province?

Prince Edward Island

> 34. Which AAE won the best picture Oscar in 1951?

All About Eve

> 35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?

Werner Von Braun

> 36. Which JPS wrote the philosophical work Existentialism and Humanism?

Jean Paul Sartre

> 37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?
> 38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?
> 39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?

Colossus Of Rhodes

> 40. Cricket: Which JH holds the record for most first class runs scored, with
> 61,760?
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County, which is in which US
> state?

Kentucky

> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and is
> commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
> 43. Which Jewish festival is also called the Festival of Lights and
> celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians?

Hanukkah

> 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?
> 45. Who was the only Prime Minister of the UK to be born Jewish?

Benjamin Disraeli

> 46. What is the capital of the Phillipines?

Manilla

> 47. Who wrote the novel The Prince and the Pauper?

Mark Twain

> 48. From which language does the word alcohol descend?

Arabic

> 49. Who is the current bishop of Rome?
> 50. Who in the 70s recorded the albums Live at Treorchy and We All Had
> Doctors Papers?
> 51. Who was head of the CIA from January 1976 to January 1977?

George H. W. Bush

> 52. How, collectively, are the first ten amendments to the US constitution
> known?

Bill Of Rights

> 53. In 1962, who did Sonny Liston knock out to become world heavweight boxing
> champion?

Floyd Patterson

> 54. In which country were the first Winter Olympic games held?

France?

> 55. Who had a number one hit in 1984 with 99 Red Balloons?
> 56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?
> 57. Which artist designed the Blue Peter logo?
> 58. The Soldier's Song is the national anthem of which European country?
> 59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
> Australia, even if you wanted to)?

Java?

> 60. Who was elected President of France in November 1945?

Charles DeGaulle?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87r7sft94r.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>>
>> If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post them. I'm
>> supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and I've only done 22 out
>> of 60. Sigh.
>>
>> Numbers
>> 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
>> Nest?
>
> Saul Zaentz was an actor?

No, he isn't. So it must have been another producers.

>> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?
>
> Stravinsky?

No.

>> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
>
> Venus

No

>> 59. What is the second biggest island in the world (not counting
>> Australia, even if you wanted to)?
>
> Java?

No.

Others correct.

Speicherzugriffsfehler

Dan Tilque wrote:

>> If anyone has any quizzes, now would be a good time to post
>> them. I'm supposed to be setting one for tomorrow night, and
>> I've only done 22 out of 60. Sigh.

Finished it now, though

> Could you decrease the frequency of posting these. I'm getting
> seriously behind following the threads.

:) Ok.

> I'm only going to answer questions I haven't seen anyone else
> answer.
>

>> Current Affairs
>> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should
>> mean life for some murderers. Who is the current Home
>> Secretary?
>
> Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that was
> a few years ago.)

Nah. He's always been Chancellor of the Exchequer.

>> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
>
> Milton

Nope

>> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped
>> cross, and is commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
>
> Stephen

Nope.

ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?

9-3

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Dan Tilque wrote:
>>
>>> Current Affairs
>>> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should
>>> mean life for some murderers. Who is the current Home
>>> Secretary?
>>
>> Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that
>> was a few years ago.)
>
> Nah. He's always been Chancellor of the Exchequer.

OK, it's been too long since I've read an Economist, or at least
the 'Britain' section of it. At least I knew one member of
Blair's cabinet, which is more than most non-Britons do.

>>> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped
>>> cross, and is commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
>>
>> Stephen
>
> Nope.

Then Andrew

> ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?

Damifino

--
Dan Tilque

In article <87r7sft94r.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
:
: 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
: Nest?

Michael Douglas. Obtrivia: The title of the film refers to which character?

: 39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?

Colossus of Rhodes.
:
: 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and is
: commemorated by a feast day on 30th November

St. Andrew

: 43. Which Jewish festival is also called the Festival of Lights and
: celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians?

Chanukah (or however you want to transliterate it) -- actually, it celebrates
the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after its defilement by said
Syrian Greeks.

: 44. Which was the final decisive battle of the American War of Independence?

Yorktown.

: 46. What is the capital of the Phillipines?

Manila.

: 47. Who wrote the novel The Prince and the Pauper?

Samuel L. Clemens.

: 48. From which language does the word alcohol descend?

Arabic.

: 49. Who is the current bishop of Rome?

John Paul II.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. Which Oscar winning actor produced the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's
> Nest?

Michael Douglas

> 3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?

Who's The Boss?

> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?

Vivaldi

> 6. In 1968, Gary Sobers hit six sixes in an over. Who was the bowler?

Malcolm Nash of Glamorgan. A swing bowler trying his arm at leg spin.

> 7. The Magnificent Seven was based on what Japanese film?

Seven Samurai.

> 8. Who was the first of Henry the Eighth's wives?

Katharine of Aragon

> 9. Who was the female comedian in Not The Nine O'Clock News?

Pamela Stephenson

> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
> murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?

Jack Straw?

> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?

Mercury?

> 19. Who was confirmed as Welsh First Minister yesterday?

Rhodri Morgan

> 20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
> Here?

Phil "The Cat" Tuffnell

ObTrivia : Why is his nickname "The Cat"

> 21. Which 1997 film starred Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K?

Men In Black

> 22. Jefferson Airplane had a 1967 hit with which Lewis Carrol-inspired song?

White Rabbit

> 23. What is the name of the mountain range to the west of Sydney, Australia?

Blue Mountains

> 24. What is the nickname of the American Football team in Cleveland?

Browns

> 25. Which medal is given to US soldiers who are wounded in battle?

Purple Heart

> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?

John Huston

> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?

Bunyan

> 28. Which John married Tatum O'Neill in 1986?

McEnroe

> 29. Which John was second president of the US?

Adams

> 30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?

J. O'Neill

> 31. Which TMOTF is a novel by George Eliot?

The Mill On The Floss

> 32. Which TMOF is an opera by Mozart?

The Marriage of Figaro

> 33. Which PEI is a Canadian province?

Prince Edward Island

> 34. Which AAE won the best picture Oscar in 1951?

All About Eve

> 35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?

"Thats not my departmen"

> 36. Which JPS wrote the philosophical work Existentialism and Humanism?

Jean-Paul Sartre

> 37. What BOTN took place on August 1st and 2nd 1798?

Battle of The Nile?

> 38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?

St Mary Moor

> 39. Which COR was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world?

Colussus of Rhodes

> 40. Cricket: Which JH holds the record for most first class runs scored, with
> 61,760?

Jack Hobbs

> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County,
> which is in which US state?

TN?

> 45. Who was the only Prime Minister of the UK to be born Jewish?

Disraeli

> 50. Who in the 70s recorded the albums Live at Treorchy and We All Had
> Doctors Papers?

Max Boyce

> 51. Who was head of the CIA from January 1976 to January 1977?

George Bush Sr?

> 52. How, collectively, are the first ten amendments to the US constitution
> known?

Bill Of Rights

> 53. In 1962, who did Sonny Liston knock out to become world heavweight boxing
> champion?

Floyd Patterson

> 55. Who had a number one hit in 1984 with 99 Red Balloons?

Nena

> 56. Which alcoholic drink was known as Mother's Ruin?

Gin?

> 58. The Soldier's Song is the national anthem of which European country?

Republic of Ireland

> 60. Who was elected President of France in November 1945?

De Gaulle
--
Gareth Owen
Dog: He feeds me, cares for me, heals me when I'm sick, he must be a god!

In article <r5i1xkefvwa.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

:> 4. Who composed The Four Seasons?
:
: Vivaldi

I'm sorry, but the correct answer is "Glazunov."

:> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
:
: Mercury?

Venus.

:> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?
:
: John Huston

John Wayne

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Nope.
>
> ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?

Boxing Day, I think (based entirely on the opening of "Good King Wenceslas")
--

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> :> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
> :
> : Mercury?
>
> Venus.

Surely, that was too recent a "yesterday" for a quiz dated 2003/05/08?
So I went with the only other possible answer...
--
Gareth Owen
September is the cruellest month

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
> Keith Willoughby wrote:

> >> Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that
> >> was a few years ago.)
> >
> > Nah. He's always been Chancellor of the Exchequer.
>
> OK, it's been too long since I've read an Economist, or at least
> the 'Britain' section of it. At least I knew one member of
> Blair's cabinet, which is more than most non-Britons do.

I am ashamed to say that acc. to a survey before local/mayoral/euro
elections it is also more than most Britons do

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:12:22 -0700, "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>I'm only going to answer questions I haven't seen anyone else
>answer.
>

>> Current Affairs
>> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should
>> mean life for some murderers. Who is the current Home
>> Secretary?
>
>Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that was
>a few years ago.)
>

>> 27. Which John wrote The Pilgrim's Progress?
>
>Milton
Nope. Bunyan

>> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped
>> cross, and is commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
Peter

>Stephen

Barb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:51:10 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>>> 42. Which one of the apostles was crucified on an X-shaped
>>> cross, and is commemorated by a feast day on 30th November
>>
>> Stephen
>
>Nope.
>
>ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?

Dec. 22?

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> Gordon Brown (well, he was the last time I checked, but that
>>> was a few years ago.)
>>
>> Nah. He's always been Chancellor of the Exchequer.
>
> OK, it's been too long since I've read an Economist, or at least
> the 'Britain' section of it. At least I knew one member of
> Blair's cabinet, which is more than most non-Britons do.

Aye

>>> Stephen
>>
>> Nope.
>
> Then Andrew

Aye

>> ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?
>
> Damifino

Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen.

December 26th.

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> 3. The US sitcom Three's Company was a remake of which UK sitcom?
>
> Who's The Boss?

Nope.

ObTrivia: Who's the Boss was remade in the UK as what show?

>> 16. The Home Secretary has just announced that life should mean life for some
>> murderers. Who is the current Home Secretary?
>
> Jack Straw?

Nope. David Von Blunkett.

>> 20. Which cricketer is currently starring in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of
>> Here?
>
> Phil "The Cat" Tuffnell
>
> ObTrivia : Why is his nickname "The Cat"

Because he spends so much time sleeping?

>> 26. Which John played the Ringo Kid in the 1939 film Stagecoach?
>
> John Huston

Nope

>> 30. Which John was 7 times National Hunt champion jockey in the 70s and 80s?
>
> J. O'Neill

Nope.

>> 35. Which WVB lead the design of the V2 and Saturn 5 rockets?
>
> "Thats not my departmen"

I added that lyric to WVB's page on wikipedia, but some git removed it.

>> 38. Which SMM was home to Miss Marple?
>
> St Mary Moor

Close

>> 41. Bourbon whiskey is named after Bourbon County,
>> which is in which US state?
>
> TN?

Nope.

Others correct.

Generalísimo Francisco Franco is still dead

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In article <r5i1xkefvwa.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> : Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
> :> 17. Which planet passed directly between the Earth and the Sun yesterday?
> :
> : Mercury?
>
> Venus.

No, it was Mercury.

"Some cursed, some prayed, some prayed then cursed"

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> Nope.
>>
>> ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?
>
> Boxing Day, I think (based entirely on the opening of "Good King Wenceslas")

Yup!

Will work for the meaning of life

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Richard Schultz wrote:

All correct, although my natural temptation is to deduct points from
people who give "Samuel Clemens" as an answer to any question other than
"What was Mark Twain's real name?".

I drove my tractor through your haystack last night

Barbara Bailey wrote:

>>> Stephen
>>
>>Nope.
>>
>>ObQuiz: When is the feast of St. Stephen?
>
> Dec. 22?

Dec 26th.