I'm having the darnested time locating a laptop with a backlit keyboard I can afford.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
>1000 vertical (so [something] x [bigger than 1000])
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Hopefully 4 hours. 6 hours would be preferred, but probably not possible
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB (I'd like 7200rpm, but once again, probably not possible)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Hopefully through college (4-5yrs)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like MSI and ASUS because they seem to have many features I like at affordable prices. I don't like HP because of the touchpads (I've used various low-range touchpads and they drive me nuts. Has to be matte, not glossy. Textured type are ok)
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd really like an i5 with 6GB of RAM. If there's an equivalent AMD I'm open to it, but I haven't seen much. Backlit keyboard is the biggest problem. I can easily find laptops that meet the other requirements at Microcenter, Tigerdirect, Newegg, but all don't have a backlit keyboard. I can put in a backlit keyboard myself if the model supports it and it can be bought separately. I've opened enough laptops to know it's a pain, but it seems buying one preinstalled from a manufacturer is significantly over my budget.