Pub Quiz 15 - 20030523 - Careful with that spliff, Eugene

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Animal
1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?
2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?
5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
Hollywood?
China
6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his death
in 1975?
8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?
9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK between
1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled by Portugal until
1999?

1980s
11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
country?
13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?
15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he beat?
16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine Liberation
Front in 1985?
17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the Philippines?
18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of the
killer?
19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California
20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?

Blockbusters
21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
22. Which RS is a Beatles album?
23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?

Food and drink
26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?
27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?
28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?
29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?

British Cinema
31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?

Current Affairs

36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this week?
37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1 million
today?
38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?
40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?

(and what happened about that in the end?)

General Knowledge
41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?
42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?
45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and moved
to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?
51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America in
1170?
54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
WWII?
55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?
56. What was the name of the famous jail in Southwark that was destroyed in a
riot in 1780?
57. What is the name of the official London residence of the Archbishop of
Canterbury?
58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away from the wind?
59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher wrote The Prince in 1513?
60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?

"Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief"

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?

mountain sheep

> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?
> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
> Hollywood?
> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his
death
> in 1975?

Chiang Kai-Shek

> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?

1989

> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK
between
> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled by Portugal
until
> 1999?

Macao

> 1980s
> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?

Moscow

> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
> country?

Poland

> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?

she became the first American female astronaut

> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he
beat?

everybody else, especially Walter Mondale

> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine
Liberation
> Front in 1985?

Achille Lauro

> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the
Philippines?
> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of
the
> killer?
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California

Sonny Bono

> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?
>
> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?

Rubber Soul

> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck

How the West Was Won (And Where It Got Us)

> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?

Martin van Buren

> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?
> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?

Raffles

> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?

avocado

> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?

Since I'm American, I call it zucchini. I think you furners call it summer
squash.

> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>
> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
> 35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for
Iris?

> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this
week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1
million
> today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?
> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?
> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?
> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
> Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and
moved
> to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?

Tom Baker

> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America
in
> 1170?
> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known
during
> WWII?
> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?

a covered wagon used to cross North America

> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in Southwark that was destroyed
in a
> riot in 1780?
> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the Archbishop
of
> Canterbury?
> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away from the
wind?

leeward

> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher wrote The Prince in 1513?

Machiavelli

> 60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby wrote:

Wow, I see one before anyone else has answered!

> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?

sheep

> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded
> Jersey zoo?
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is
> Napoleon?

pig

> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name
> of the dog that saved Hollywood?

> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi'
> mean?

At a guess, desert (just like Sahara)

> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of
> China until his death in 1975?

Chiang Kai-shek

> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square
> massacre?

1994

> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between
> China and the UK between 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?

Opium wars

> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled
> by Portugal until 1999?

Macao

> 1980s
> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?

Sapporo, Japan

> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime
> Minister of which country?

Poland

> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?

First American woman in space

> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who
> did he beat?

Walter Mondale

> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner
> hijacked by the Palestine Liberation Front in 1985?

Achille Lauro

> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of
> the Philippines?

Corazon Aquino

> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took
> place. What was the name of the killer?
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs,
> California

Sonny Bono

> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South
> Africa?

de Klerk (forget first name)

> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?

Rubber Soul

> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA
> Cup final?
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?

Martin van Buren

> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the
> 13th century?

Marco Polo, only the credit is misplaced

> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore
> Sling invented?
> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?

Avocado

> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?

Courgette

> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>
> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's
> movies?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike
> Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
> 35. Which British actor won the best
> supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?
>
> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an
> earthquake this week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer
> was sold at auction for £2.1 million today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this
> week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last
> night?
> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the
> first 40 psalms?

David

> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor
> in 800?

Charlemagne

> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria
> Crosses awarded?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German
> republic from 1919 to 1933?

Berlin

> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in
> November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen
> Bogen By The Sea
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened
> in Baker Street in 1835, and moved to its current
> location on Marylebone Road in 1884?

Madam Whats-her-name's Wax Museum

> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which
> radio show?
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?

Nicholas II

> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV
> for the longest?

Tom Baker

> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of
> Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-> 1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend
> discovered America in 1170?

Damn, I should know this one. Brain will not regurgitate answer.

> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name
> becoming known during WWII?

Pierre Laval

> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a
> Praire Schooner?

A small covered wagon

> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in
> Southwark that was destroyed in a riot in 1780?
> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the
> Archbishop of Canterbury?
> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away
> from the wind?

lee

> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher
> wrote The Prince in 1513?

Machiavelli

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:41:33 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?
A sheep

> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?
a dog?

> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
> Hollywood?
Won Ton Ton

> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
desert?

> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his death
> in 1975?
> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?
> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK between
> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
Ack. Is that the Boxer Rebellion?

> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled by Portugal until
> 1999?
>
> 1980s
> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
> country?
> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?
> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he beat?
> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine Liberation
> Front in 1985?
The Achille Lauro

> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the Philippines?
> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of the
> killer?
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California
Sonny Bono

> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?
>
> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?
> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
How the West Was Won

> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?
Martin Van Buren

> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?
Marco Polo

> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?
Raffles, in Singapore

> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?
smushed-up avocado

> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
Who's we? a courgette, I guess. Maybe a vegetable marrow.

> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>
> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
Maggie Smith

> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
> 35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?
>
> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1 million
> today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?
> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?
David

> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
Karl Magnus (Charlemagne)

> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?
> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
> Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and moved
> to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
Nicholas?

> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?
> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America in
> 1170?
MAdoc

> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
> WWII?
Vichy?

> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?
A covered wagon

> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in Southwark that was destroyed in a
> riot in 1780?
> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury?
> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away from the wind?
The lee

> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher wrote The Prince in 1513?
Niccolo Machiavelli

> 60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?

Gods, my brain is dead today...

Barb

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>

>> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square
^^^^
>> massacre?
>
> 1994

<Homer Simpson>
d'oh !!
</Homer Simpson>

--
Dan Tilque

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >
> > 1980s
> > 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
>
> Moscow

Alex, I'll take seasons for $200 ... wait, maybe that wouldn't be such a
good choice.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<casnh6$gul@dispatch.concentric.net>...
> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >
> > Animal
> > 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?
>
> mountain sheep
>

> > 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he
> beat?

Michael Dukakis
> > 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the
> Philippines?

Corazon Aquino

> > 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?

Piet van somebody...

> > Blockbusters
> > 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
The French Lieutenant's Woman

> > Food and drink
> > 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?

Marco Polo, and wasn't it specifically spaghetti-like noodles?

> > 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?

Oasis

> > Current Affairs
> >
> > 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this
> week?

It doesn't matter, it's in Africa.

> > General Knowledge
> > 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?

King David

> > 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?

Constantine

> > 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?

Boer War

> > 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
Nicholas

> > 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
Jo Mama.

Poet Laureate of which country?

> > 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known
> during
> > WWII?

Vichy

That's all I've got. I'm pretty sure some of them are right.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby:
>> Animal
>> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?

Dan Tilque:
> sheep

>> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded
>> Jersey zoo?
>> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
>> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is
>> Napoleon?
>
> pig

>> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name
>> of the dog that saved Hollywood?

Won Ton. Or maybe Won Ton Ton. One of those.

>> China
>> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi'
>> mean?
>
> At a guess, desert (just like Sahara)
>
>> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of
>> China until his death in 1975?
>
> Chiang Kai-shek
>
>> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square
>> massacre?
>
> 1994
>
>> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between
>> China and the UK between 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
>
> Opium wars
>
>> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled
>> by Portugal until 1999?
>
> Macao
>
>> 1980s
>> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
>
> Sapporo, Japan

I'll try Lake Placid again.

>> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime
>> Minister of which country?
>
> Poland
>
>> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
>> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?
>
> First American woman in space
>
>> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who
>> did he beat?
>
> Walter Mondale
>
>> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner
>> hijacked by the Palestine Liberation Front in 1985?
>
> Achille Lauro
>
>> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of
>> the Philippines?
>
> Corazon Aquino
>
>> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took
>> place. What was the name of the killer?
>> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs,
>> California
>
> Sonny Bono
>
>> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South
>> Africa?
>
> de Klerk (forget first name)
>

>> Blockbusters
>> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles

The French Lieutenant's Woman.

>> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?
>
> Rubber Soul
>
>> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
>> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA
>> Cup final?
>> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?
>
> Martin van Buren
>

>> Food and drink
>> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the
>> 13th century?
>
> Marco Polo, only the credit is misplaced
>
>> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore
>> Sling invented?
>> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?
>
> Avocado
>
>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
>
> Courgette
>
>> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>>
>> British Cinema
>> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
>> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?

Maggie Smith.

>> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's
>> movies?
>> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike
>> Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?

Sullivan and Gilbert.

>> 35. Which British actor won the best
>> supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?
>>
>> Current Affairs
>>
>> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an
>> earthquake this week?
>> 37. A manuscript from which composer
>> was sold at auction for £2.1 million today?
>> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this
>> week?
>> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last
>> night?
>> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>>
>> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>>
>> General Knowledge
>> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the
>> first 40 psalms?
>
> David
>
>> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor
>> in 800?
>
> Charlemagne
>
>> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria
>> Crosses awarded?

World War I?

>> 44. What was the capital city of the German
>> republic from 1919 to 1933?
>
> Berlin
>
>> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in
>> November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen
>> Bogen By The Sea
>> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened
>> in Baker Street in 1835, and moved to its current
>> location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
>
> Madam Whats-her-name's Wax Museum
>
>> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which
>> radio show?
>> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
>
> Nicholas II
>
>> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
>> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV
>> for the longest?
>
> Tom Baker
>
>> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of
>> Agincourt take place?
>> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-> 1892?
>> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend
>> discovered America in 1170?
>
> Damn, I should know this one. Brain will not regurgitate answer.
>
>> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name
>> becoming known during WWII?
>
> Pierre Laval

Maginot?

>> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a
>> Praire Schooner?
>
> A small covered wagon
>
>> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in
>> Southwark that was destroyed in a riot in 1780?
>> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the
>> Archbishop of Canterbury?
>> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away
>> from the wind?
>
> lee
>
>> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher
>> wrote The Prince in 1513?
>
> Machiavelli
>
>> 60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
#define MSB(type) (~(((unsigned type)-1)>>1))

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
>
> Moscow

No

>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
>
> Since I'm American, I call it zucchini. I think you furners call it summer
> squash.

We don't, no.

Others correct.

"They've got to be protected
All their rights respected
Until somebody we like can be elected"

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi'
>> mean?
>
> At a guess, desert (just like Sahara)

Yup. The "It's your finger, you fool" school of place-naming,
presumably.

>> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square
>> massacre?
>
> 1994

No, on two counts.

>> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?
>
> Sapporo, Japan

No.

>> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South
>> Africa?
>
> de Klerk (forget first name)

No.

>> 44. What was the capital city of the German
>> republic from 1919 to 1933?
>
> Berlin

No.

>> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened
>> in Baker Street in 1835, and moved to its current
>> location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
>
> Madam Whats-her-name's Wax Museum

Correctish.

>> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name
>> becoming known during WWII?
>
> Pierre Laval

No.

Others correct.

"The pride and luxury in which he was educated had not allowed him to suspect
that there existed on the earth any power presumptuous enough to invade the
repose of the successor of Augustus." - Gibbon

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Dan Tilque wrote:
>
>> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi'
>>> mean?
>>
>> At a guess, desert (just like Sahara)
>
> Yup. The "It's your finger, you fool" school of place-naming,
> presumably.

Not exactly, since it probably didn't involve an explorer.
Although that did happen with Canada (means 'village' in some
native language). It's also reputed to be the case with Yucatan,
but that's probably not true.

>>> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square
>>> massacre?
>>
>> 1994
>
> No, on two counts.

Yes, I know. It recently had an "important" anniversary, and I
thought it was the tenth. Also failed to read the question
completely.

>>> 44. What was the capital city of the German
>>> republic from 1919 to 1933?
>>
>> Berlin
>
> No.

Then Weimar.

>>> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name
>>> becoming known during WWII?
>>
>> Pierre Laval
>
> No.

Then De Gaulle

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby and Dan Tilque write:
>>> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?
>>
>> Berlin
>
> No.

Wrong.
--
Mark Brader | (Monosyllables being forbidden to doctors of philosophy,
Toronto | such truths are called "invariants" in the trade.)

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in message news:<10d3qkhravhdl54@corp.supernews.com>...
> Keith Willoughby and Dan Tilque write:
> >>
> >> Berlin
> >
> > No.
>
> Wrong.

Munich, string, or nothing.

Olympics.... Sarajevo?

Google-free, as always.

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> Berlin
>>
>> No.
>
> Then Weimar.

Yup

>>> Pierre Laval
>>
>> No.
>
> Then De Gaulle

No.

Freedom is slavery

Keith Willoughby and Dan Tilque wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Then Weimar.
>
> Yup

Nope.
--
Mark Brader | "... you're a detective, you like mysteries."
Toronto | "I hate mysteries. What I like are *solutions*."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87659qqdyq.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?

sheep

> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?

pig

> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
> Hollywood?
> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?

desert?

> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his death
> in 1975?

Chang Kai Shek

> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?

1989?

> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK between
> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?

Opium Wars?

> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled by Portugal until
> 1999?

Macao

> 1980s
> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?

I was there at Lake Placid at the U.S. vs. U.S.S.R. hockey game.

> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
> country?

sounds like Poland.

> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?

first U.S. woman in space

> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he beat?

Walter Mondale

> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine Liberation
> Front in 1985?

Achilles Lauro

> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the Philippines?
> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of the
> killer?
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California

Sonny Bono

> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?
>
> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles

The French Lieutenant's Woman

> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?

Rubber Soul

> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck

How The West Was Won

> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?

Martin Van Buren

> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?

Marco Polo

> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?
> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?

avocado

> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?

Beats me. Here's one for you. Americans call it summer squash.
Do you call it something else?

> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>
> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
> 35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?
>
> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1 million
> today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?
> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?

King David

> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?

Wiemar

> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
> Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and moved
> to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?
> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America in
> 1170?
> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
> WWII?
> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?

Conestoga wagon

Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?

Sheep

> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?

Pig (as was Snowball)

> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
> Hollywood?
> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his death
> in 1975?
> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?

1984

> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK between
> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?

Opium Wars?

> 10. Which special administrative region of China was ruled by Portugal until
> 1999?
>
> 1980s
> 11. The 1980 Winter Olympics were held in which town?

Lake Placid

> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
> country?

Poland

> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?

First woman in space

> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he beat?

Walter Mondale

> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine Liberation
> Front in 1985?

Achille Lauro

> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the Philippines?

Corazon Aquino

> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of the
> killer?
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California

Sonny Bono

> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?

Botha

> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?

Rubber Soul

> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?

Martin Van Buren

> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?

Marco Polo

> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?
> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?

Avocado

> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?

Summer squash

> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
>
> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
> 35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for Iris?
>
> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1 million
> today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?

May 22, 2003? Ah yes...

> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?
> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?

Otto

> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?

Weimar

> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
> Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and moved
> to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?

Nicholas

> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?
> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America in
> 1170?
> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
> WWII?
> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?

Conestoga Wagon

> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in Southwark that was destroyed in a
> riot in 1780?
> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury?
> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away from the wind?

Lee side

> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher wrote The Prince in 1513?
> 60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

vinCe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

> Animal
> 1. What type of animal is a 'merino'?
Ram?
> 2. Who wrote "My Family and Other Animals" and founded Jersey zoo?
Gerald Durrel
> 3. Who presented Animal Magic from 1962 to 1983?
Johnny Morris.
> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?
Pig?
> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
> Hollywood?
Rin Tin Tin?
> China
> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
Full of spit.
> 7. Who was president of the Taiwan-based Republic of China until his
death
> in 1975?
> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?
1985?
> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK
between
> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
Boxer rebellion?

?
> 12. In 1981, General Wojchech Jaruselski became Prime Minister of which
> country?
Poland?
> 13. Which country won the 1982 football world cup?
I hate football - Argentina (surely it can't be China)?
> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?
First civilian in space.
> 15. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election in 1984. Who did he
beat?
Carter?
> 16. What was the name of the ocean liner hijacked by the Palestine
Liberation
> Front in 1985?
> 17. In 1986, who replaced Ferdinand Marcos as president of the
Philippines?
> 18. In 1987, the Hungerford massacre took place. What was the name of
the
> killer?
I cant believe I've forgotten that.
> 19. In 1988, which singer became mayor of Palm Springs, California
Sonny Bono?
> 20. In 1989, who resigned the presidency of South Africa?
P. W. Botha?

> Blockbusters
> 21. Which TFLW is a novel by John Fowles
The French Leuitenants Woman. (extra points for brilliant spelling?)
> 22. Which RS is a Beatles album?
Rubber Soul.
> 23. Which HTWWW is a 1962 Western starring Gregory Peck
How The West Was Won.
> 24. Which RE were beaten by Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final?
Royal Engineers.
> 25. Which MVB was 8th president of the USA?
Van Buren (I love Seinfeld).
> Food and drink
> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?
Da Vinci.
> 27. In which famous hotel was the Singapore Sling invented?
Raffles?
> 28. What is the main ingredient of guacamole?
Avacado (I love Mexican food).
> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
Aubergine.
> 30. Who had a hit in 1995 with Champagne Supernova?
Oasis.

> British Cinema
> 31. Who wrote the classic war film In Which We Serve?
> 32. Who played Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?
The film? Maggie Smith.
> 33. What part did George Cole play in the St. Trinian's movies?
Flash Harry?
> 34. Which duo were the subjects of the 1999 Mike Leigh film Topsy-Turvy?
Gilbert and Sullivan.
> 35. Which British actor won the best supporting actor Oscar in 2002 for
Iris?
Patrick Broadbent?
> Current Affairs
>
> 36. In which African country have 770 people died in an earthquake this
week?
> 37. A manuscript from which composer was sold at auction for £2.1
million
> today?
> 38. Nestor Kirchner became president of which country this week?
> 39. Which team beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final last night?
> 40. A bomb went off in which US university yesterday?
>
> (and what happened about that in the end?)
I know nothing about current affairs (clearly).

> General Knowledge
> 41. Who is believed to have written the majority of the first 40 psalms?
Jeffrey Archer.
> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
Ceaser.
> 43. Which war or campaign saw the most Victoria Crosses awarded?
Crimean?
> 44. What was the capital city of the German republic from 1919 to 1933?
Croyden.
> 45. Who had a top-ten hit in November 1954 with Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer
> Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea
Max Bygraves.
> 46. Which London tourist attraction opened in Baker Street in 1835, and
moved
> to its current location on Marylebone Road in 1884?
Madame Tussards?
> 47. By The Sleepy Lagoon is the theme tune of which radio show?
Desert Island Discs.
> 48. What was the name of the last Russia tsar?
Nicholas?
> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
Frank Dobson?
> 50. Which actor played Doctor Who on TV for the longest?
Actually is was Sylvester McCoy, but you probably want Tom Baker.
> 51. On which Saint's day did the battle of Agincourt take place?
> 52. Who was poet laureate from 1850-1892?
> 53. Who was the Welsh prince, who according to legend discovered America
in
> 1170?
> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known
during
> WWII?
> 55. What, during the middle of the 19th century, was a Praire Schooner?
> 56. What was the name of the famous jail in Southwark that was destroyed
in a
> riot in 1780?
> 57. What is the name of the official London residence of the Archbishop
of
> Canterbury?
Lambeth Palace.
> 58. What is the name given to the side of a ship facing away from the
wind?
> 59. Which Italian statesman and philosopher wrote The Prince in 1513?
> 60. Who wrote the Inspector Morse novels?
Colin Dexter.

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:41:33 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 4. In George Orwell's Animal Farm, what type of animal is Napoleon?
> a dog?

Nope

>> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK between
>> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
> Ack. Is that the Boxer Rebellion?

No

>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
> Who's we?

"Assume a Welsh pub quiz". You might have missed the standard disclaimer.

> a courgette, I guess. Maybe a vegetable marrow.

Courgette is correct.

>> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
> Karl Magnus (Charlemagne)

Karl de Groot! (Just to complete the set :))

>> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
>> WWII?
> Vichy?

No

Others correct.

Votad Al Frente Popular

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:22:23 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Barbara Bailey wrote:

>>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
>> Who's we?
>
>"Assume a Welsh pub quiz". You might have missed the standard disclaimer.

No, I forgot it. It wasn't included in the oiginal post of this one.

>> a courgette, I guess. Maybe a vegetable marrow.
>
>Courgette is correct.
>
>>> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
>> Karl Magnus (Charlemagne)
>
>Karl de Groot! (Just to complete the set :))

Collect all three!! Trade with your friends!

>>> 54. Who was French Minister of war 1928-1932, his name becoming known during
>>> WWII?
>> Vichy?
>
>No

Didn't really think so. 8-(

I hate it when my brain goes on vacation and doesn't take the rest of
me along...

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87659qqdyq.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
>
> Beats me. Here's one for you. Americans call it summer squash.
> Do you call it something else?

Marrow.

Others correct.

The sky is falling

Vince wrote:

>> 5. According to the 1976 film, what was the name of the dog that saved
>> Hollywood?
> Rin Tin Tin?

No

> China
>> 6. The Gobi desert is partly in China. What does 'gobi' mean?
> Full of spit.

That's a Gobby Dessert

>> 8. In which year of the 1980s was the Tiananmen Square massacre?
> 1985?

No

>> 9. What name is given to the wars fought between China and the UK
> between
>> 1839-1842 and betwen 1856-1860?
> Boxer rebellion?
No

>> 14. How did Sally Ride make history in 1983?
> First civilian in space.

No.

>> 26. Who is credited with introducing pasta to Italy in the 13th century?
> Da Vinci.

No

>> 29. Americans call it zucchini. What do we call it?
> Aubergine.

No. I think they call aubergines 'eggplant'.

>> 42. Who was made first Holy Roman Emperor in 800?
> Ceaser.

No

>> 49. Who is the secretary of state for health?
> Frank Dobson?

It wasn't, no.

Others correct

"Too lazy to work, too nervous to steal"

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Then Weimar.
>>
>> Yup
>
> Nope.

I bet you're *desperate* to tell me how I'm wrong, too, but not nearly
desperate enought to miss the opportunity to be obnoxious by just saying
"nope".

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Keith Willoughby writes:
> I bet you're *desperate* to tell me how I'm wrong, too, but not nearly
> desperate enought to miss the opportunity to be obnoxious by just saying
> "nope".

Well, did you see what I posted in the other branch of the subthread?

The capital was Berlin. The National Assembly did meet in Weimar
they were drafting the new constitution, but that was a temporary
thing due to riots in Berlin, not for the whole period to 1933.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Effective immediately, all memos are to be written
msb@vex.net | in clear, active-voice English." -- US gov't memo

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> I bet you're *desperate* to tell me how I'm wrong, too, but
>> not nearly desperate enought to miss the opportunity to be
>> obnoxious by just saying "nope".
>
> Well, did you see what I posted in the other branch of the
> subthread?

I haven't seen any other post by you on this, except one merely
saying "wrong". Perhaps you meant to add more to that post but
forgot or something.

> The capital was Berlin. The National Assembly did meet in
> Weimar they were drafting the new constitution, but that was a
> temporary thing due to riots in Berlin, not for the whole
> period to 1933.

Thanks for backing up my first answer. I was fairly sure it was
right but didn't want to "cheat" by googling.

--
Dan Tilque