Deleting Temp. Internet Files-Get Error Msg.

Hello, I am trying to delete temp. internet files and cookies via
Start|Settings|Control Panel|Internet Options|etc... and I immediately
receive the following error:
"shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcpl,"Internet Options"

Please help and Thank you!
4 answers Last reply
More about deleting temp internet files error

    Hello, I checked and ran a virus check, deleted any at risk files, restarted
    my computer and then tried to delete my internet files folder and I received
    the same error message as I posted earlier ... You mentioned a "proggy"
    called "Hijack This", what is it and why am I having this problem? Isn't
    deleting temp. internet files part of regular computer maintenance? Please
    advise. Thank you for your help!

    "purplegrrl" wrote:

    > "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I am trying to delete temp. internet files and cookies via
    > > Start|Settings|Control Panel|Internet Options|etc... and I immediately
    > > receive the following error:
    > > "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcpl,"Internet Options"
    > >
    > > Please help and Thank you!
    >
    > Hi TJ
    >
    > I'm not completely sure about this one but after a google search on your
    > error message the general consensus is to first run a virus check (hopefully
    > u have an antivirus prog) and an adware check (Spybot, Adaware etc). See
    > what that brings up and try again.
    >
    > If it's still giving the error the next step I've read about is running a
    > proggy called "Hijack This" which I'll leave for now as it's a little more
    > involved. Let us know how you go.
    >
    > HTH
    > ~purplegrrl~

    Hi again TJ as I said I've never experienced this one and I am only going on
    what I read on another website forum where someone else had that same error
    as yourself. I googled your error (which is always a good start to finding
    solutions to your probs because there is generally someone else out there
    who has had the same thing happen). Anyway, on these 2 pages Hijack This was
    recommended. Your prob may have a different source/solution but it can't
    hurt to try something.
    http://computercops.biz/postitle15238-0-0-.html
    http://castlecops.com/postt82046.html

    I have used Hijack This once before for a spyware prob (not for the same
    error as yourself) and this is the fab website with alot of great info that
    I went to:
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    It has a link to Hijack This and tells what steps to follow.

    Best wishes from ~purplegrrl~

    > Hello, I checked and ran a virus check, deleted any at risk files,
    > restarted
    > my computer and then tried to delete my internet files folder and I
    > received
    > the same error message as I posted earlier ... You mentioned a "proggy"
    > called "Hijack This", what is it and why am I having this problem? Isn't
    > deleting temp. internet files part of regular computer maintenance? Please
    > advise. Thank you for your help!
    >
    > "purplegrrl" wrote:
    >

    >> "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, I am trying to delete temp. internet files and cookies via
    >> > Start|Settings|Control Panel|Internet Options|etc... and I immediately
    >> > receive the following error:
    >> > "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcpl,"Internet
    >> > Options"
    >> >
    >> > Please help and Thank you!
    >>
    >> Hi TJ
    >>
    >> I'm not completely sure about this one but after a google search on your
    >> error message the general consensus is to first run a virus check
    >> (hopefully
    >> u have an antivirus prog) and an adware check (Spybot, Adaware etc). See
    >> what that brings up and try again.
    >>
    >> If it's still giving the error the next step I've read about is running a
    >> proggy called "Hijack This" which I'll leave for now as it's a little
    >> more
    >> involved. Let us know how you go.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> ~purplegrrl~

    Thank you very much "purplegrrl" ... you've offered some great advice and I
    will check out the sites that you recommended and see what I can come up
    with. Thanks again and wish me luck!

    "purplegrrl" wrote:

    > Hi again TJ as I said I've never experienced this one and I am only going on
    > what I read on another website forum where someone else had that same error
    > as yourself. I googled your error (which is always a good start to finding
    > solutions to your probs because there is generally someone else out there
    > who has had the same thing happen). Anyway, on these 2 pages Hijack This was
    > recommended. Your prob may have a different source/solution but it can't
    > hurt to try something.
    > http://computercops.biz/postitle15238-0-0-.html
    > http://castlecops.com/postt82046.html
    >
    > I have used Hijack This once before for a spyware prob (not for the same
    > error as yourself) and this is the fab website with alot of great info that
    > I went to:
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    >
    > It has a link to Hijack This and tells what steps to follow.
    >
    > Best wishes from ~purplegrrl~
    >

    > "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I checked and ran a virus check, deleted any at risk files,
    > > restarted
    > > my computer and then tried to delete my internet files folder and I
    > > received
    > > the same error message as I posted earlier ... You mentioned a "proggy"
    > > called "Hijack This", what is it and why am I having this problem? Isn't
    > > deleting temp. internet files part of regular computer maintenance? Please
    > > advise. Thank you for your help!
    > >
    > > "purplegrrl" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> Hi TJ
    > >>
    > >> I'm not completely sure about this one but after a google search on your
    > >> error message the general consensus is to first run a virus check
    > >> (hopefully
    > >> u have an antivirus prog) and an adware check (Spybot, Adaware etc). See
    > >> what that brings up and try again.
    > >>
    > >> If it's still giving the error the next step I've read about is running a
    > >> proggy called "Hijack This" which I'll leave for now as it's a little
    > >> more
    > >> involved. Let us know how you go.
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >> ~purplegrrl~

    The very best of luck TJ!! I really hope you sort it out - post back to let
    us know!!

    ~purplegrrl~

    > Thank you very much "purplegrrl" ... you've offered some great advice and
    > will check out the sites that you recommended and see what I can come up
    > with. Thanks again and wish me luck!
    >
    > "purplegrrl" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi again TJ as I said I've never experienced this one and I am only going
    >> on
    >> what I read on another website forum where someone else had that same
    >> error
    >> as yourself. I googled your error (which is always a good start to
    >> finding
    >> solutions to your probs because there is generally someone else out there
    >> who has had the same thing happen). Anyway, on these 2 pages Hijack This
    >> was
    >> recommended. Your prob may have a different source/solution but it can't
    >> hurt to try something.
    >> http://computercops.biz/postitle15238-0-0-.html
    >> http://castlecops.com/postt82046.html
    >>
    >> I have used Hijack This once before for a spyware prob (not for the same
    >> error as yourself) and this is the fab website with alot of great info
    >> that
    >> I went to:
    >>
    >> It has a link to Hijack This and tells what steps to follow.
    >>
    >> Best wishes from ~purplegrrl~
    >>

    >> "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, I checked and ran a virus check, deleted any at risk files,
    >> > restarted
    >> > my computer and then tried to delete my internet files folder and I
    >> > received
    >> > the same error message as I posted earlier ... You mentioned a "proggy"
    >> > called "Hijack This", what is it and why am I having this problem?
    >> > Isn't
    >> > deleting temp. internet files part of regular computer maintenance?
    >> > Please
    >> > advise. Thank you for your help!

Internet Windows XP