8400 pc-card connectors?

On Dell's web site I can't find any way to order an 8400 with PC-card
connectors, Type I / Type II. Is this something I have to add after
delivery? I'd rather not do so.

If such a card requires a PCI slot, how will I know in advance how
many of the 8400 PCI slots are unused at ship time, given my
configuration choices?
--David

You can get PCCard slots that fit in a drive bay, but what are you trying to
do? There may be a better solution.

Tom
"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Dell's web site I can't find any way to order an 8400 with PC-card
> connectors, Type I / Type II. Is this something I have to add after
> delivery? I'd rather not do so.
>
> If such a card requires a PCI slot, how will I know in advance how
> many of the 8400 PCI slots are unused at ship time, given my
> configuration choices?
> --David

1) An external Kanguru HD has been used for extra space with my
Inspiron 7500. I want to copy 60gigs of data from it to the new 8400
HD. The external drive has a PC card cable and runs in cardbus mode
with the i7500.
2) If i later want to add a wireless internet card to the 8400, a PC
card slot seems a convenient place to plug it in.

Any suggestions welcome.
--David (hardware neophyte)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:53:36 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:
>You can get PCCard slots that fit in a drive bay, but what are you trying to
>do? There may be a better solution.
>
>Tom
>"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Dell's web site I can't find any way to order an 8400 with PC-card
>> connectors, Type I / Type II. Is this something I have to add after
>> delivery? I'd rather not do so.
>>
>> If such a card requires a PCI slot, how will I know in advance how
>> many of the 8400 PCI slots are unused at ship time, given my
>> configuration choices?
>> --David

That's an expensive solution to the problem. Does the Kanguru also support
USB2? Looking at their website, it seems it might. If so, that's a much
better solution.

For the Wireless internet, get a USB2 wireless card. I use the Linksys for
my daughter's machine.

> 1) An external Kanguru HD has been used for extra space with my
> Inspiron 7500. I want to copy 60gigs of data from it to the new 8400
> HD. The external drive has a PC card cable and runs in cardbus mode
> with the i7500.
> 2) If i later want to add a wireless internet card to the 8400, a PC
> card slot seems a convenient place to plug it in.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
> --David (hardware neophyte)
>
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:53:36 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>>You can get PCCard slots that fit in a drive bay, but what are you trying
>>do? There may be a better solution.
>>
>>Tom
>>"David Ellis" <scribblemonger@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Dell's web site I can't find any way to order an 8400 with PC-card
>>> connectors, Type I / Type II. Is this something I have to add after
>>> delivery? I'd rather not do so.
>>>
>>> If such a card requires a PCI slot, how will I know in advance how
>>> many of the 8400 PCI slots are unused at ship time, given my
>>> configuration choices?
>>> --David

Thank you for the tips. I'll contact Kanguru.
--D.