Windows XP Workgroup Connectivity

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have a simple home network with 2 computers running windows xp using a
10/100 ethernet hub. I have no connectivity problems of any kind. Computers
see each other and are accessible. The only thing that bothers me is that
when opening the other computer's resource (not share) thru the network for
the first time a password prompt shows up before you can access the shares.
It's enough to enter the other computer's user credentials to get access but
gets annoying after a while. Is this a security option that can be disabled
because I remember from the old days when having the same situation with
windows 98 systems workgroup shares were accessible without any prompts. Was
more user friendly..
3 answers Last reply
More about windows workgroup connectivity
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    "Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    |I have a simple home network with 2 computers running windows xp using a
    | 10/100 ethernet hub. I have no connectivity problems of any kind.
    Computers
    | see each other and are accessible. The only thing that bothers me is that
    | when opening the other computer's resource (not share) thru the network
    for
    | the first time a password prompt shows up before you can access the
    shares.
    | It's enough to enter the other computer's user credentials to get access
    but
    | gets annoying after a while. Is this a security option that can be
    disabled
    | because I remember from the old days when having the same situation with
    | windows 98 systems workgroup shares were accessible without any prompts.
    Was
    | more user friendly..

    Windows 98 is passé! But you can return to it if you won´t use the
    new advantages of Windows XP. It is for annoying you that all these
    securities has been put into the program! Since a lot of people does not
    like the way MS is propagandizing his supremacy and keep trying to
    disturb the joy of others.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    "Gladstone Gander" <Gladstone G.@imaginary®.com> wrote in message

    > "Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > |I have a simple home network with 2 computers running windows xp using a
    > | 10/100 ethernet hub. I have no connectivity problems of any kind.
    > Computers
    > | see each other and are accessible. The only thing that bothers me is
    > that
    > | when opening the other computer's resource (not share) thru the network
    > for
    > | the first time a password prompt shows up before you can access the
    > shares.
    > | It's enough to enter the other computer's user credentials to get access
    > but
    > | gets annoying after a while. Is this a security option that can be
    > disabled
    > | because I remember from the old days when having the same situation with
    > | windows 98 systems workgroup shares were accessible without any prompts.
    > Was
    > | more user friendly..
    > |

    > Windows 98 is passé! But you can return to it if you won´t use the
    > new advantages of Windows XP. It is for annoying you that all these
    > securities has been put into the program! Since a lot of people does not
    > like the way MS is propagandizing his supremacy and keep trying to
    > disturb the joy of others.

    If you don't have anything interesting to tell, then stfu. I never said XP
    was bad, in fact, I like it alot. But what the hell, I am not going to start
    a discussion with some frustrated loser who can't satisfy his wife..
    discussion closed.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Spritney Beers schreef:
    > "Gladstone Gander" <Gladstone G.@imaginary®.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >>|I have a simple home network with 2 computers running windows xp using a
    >>| 10/100 ethernet hub. I have no connectivity problems of any kind.
    >>Computers
    >>| see each other and are accessible. The only thing that bothers me is
    >>that
    >>| when opening the other computer's resource (not share) thru the network
    >>for
    >>| the first time a password prompt shows up before you can access the
    >>shares.
    >>| It's enough to enter the other computer's user credentials to get access
    >>but
    >>| gets annoying after a while. Is this a security option that can be
    >>disabled
    >>| because I remember from the old days when having the same situation with
    >>| windows 98 systems workgroup shares were accessible without any prompts.
    >>Was
    >>| more user friendly..
    >>|

    >>Windows 98 is passé! But you can return to it if you won´t use the
    >>new advantages of Windows XP. It is for annoying you that all these
    >>securities has been put into the program! Since a lot of people does not
    >>like the way MS is propagandizing his supremacy and keep trying to
    >>disturb the joy of others.
    >>

    > If you don't have anything interesting to tell, then stfu. I never said XP
    > was bad, in fact, I like it alot. But what the hell, I am not going to start
    > a discussion with some frustrated loser who can't satisfy his wife..
    > discussion closed.

    Gladstone Gander is an annoying troll without a cluestick installed.
    Just ploink him.
    --

    Wim Hekken ;-)

Connectivity Microsoft Windows XP