MS is wrong--one CAN lose admin rights, as I just did. It's recommended that
one not log on as Admin. Okay. I switched to Power User, but am now offered
no option to log on as an administrator, and am being denied rights to my own
computer. Is there a fix other than reinstall?
--
Frank88

you can create a password reset disk for local accounts
look in your windows xp help and support for instructions

"Frank88" <Frank88@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS is wrong--one CAN lose admin rights, as I just did. It's recommended
> that
> one not log on as Admin. Okay. I switched to Power User, but am now
> offered
> no option to log on as an administrator, and am being denied rights to my
> own
> computer. Is there a fix other than reinstall?
> --
> Frank88

Thanks for attempt at help. Actually, there was no password problem. This is
hard to explain. When I installed, I never set up an admin password, though I
gave myself a user name. My user account is ALSO admin. I went in and denied
myself, as it were, rights as admin. My thought was that on logout, I would
then be offered the option to log in as either admin or user. That didn't
happen--I got no option window, and then could only log on as a user--now
without rights. I read at another post that if one quickly strikes
control-alt-delete twice, then types in "administrator" and no password, one
can log on as admin. Turns out that is true, and it did work. I restored
admin rights to myself-as user, and so am back where I started--still able
only to log on as both admin and user. My user account has name and password.
What I don't get is why, if I remove admin rights from myself, I don't get a
window giving the option to log on either as admin OR as only a user under
the name I originally created for myself. I hope this is more or less clear.
I'd prefer not to have to create yet another user account. Thanks again,
(Great handle you have by the way.)

"Spritney Beers" wrote:

> you can create a password reset disk for local accounts
> look in your windows xp help and support for instructions
>
> "Frank88" <Frank88@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > MS is wrong--one CAN lose admin rights, as I just did. It's recommended
> > that
> > one not log on as Admin. Okay. I switched to Power User, but am now
> > offered
> > no option to log on as an administrator, and am being denied rights to my
> > own
> > computer. Is there a fix other than reinstall?
> > --
> > Frank88

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Try here and see if it helps..
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm

Frank88 wrote:
> MS is wrong--one CAN lose admin rights, as I just did. It's recommended that
> one not log on as Admin. Okay. I switched to Power User, but am now offered
> no option to log on as an administrator, and am being denied rights to my own
> computer. Is there a fix other than reinstall?

As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have
been created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on
the Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design,
the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
case something corrupts your regular account(s).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

np. i only use the administrator account to log on (a w2k habbit) and it is
displayed on the welcome screen
i just removed the additional user account that was created after
installation