Pub Quiz - 20030828

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Music - girls names
1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
Cracklin' Rosie?
5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?

Sport
6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
84 and 88?

Blockbusters
11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

Films
16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
which film?
17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
"Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

Literature
21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
Children and It?
23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Thomases
26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
Theologica
28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
and easy under the apple boughs"?
29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
1935?

General Knowledge
31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
41. What is the capital of North Korea?
42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
Vitriol?
44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
45. Mycology is the study of what?
46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
Nevada
47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
49. On which river does Chester stand?
50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
of the most memorable songs of Motown?
51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
greyhound ever?
53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
monopsony?

58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

Boo.
32 answers Last reply
More about quiz 20030828
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

    Dexy's Midnight Runners

    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

    The Seekers

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?

    Neil Diamond

    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >
    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

    A Room With A View

    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

    Empress Of India?

    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?
    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

    Bela Lugosi?

    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

    Debbie Reynolds. She also was a singer, with a huge hit "Tammy."

    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

    thoroughbred race horse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

    London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    Edgar Allan Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

    Jefferson?

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
    > Theologica

    Aquinas?

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?

    More

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

    Iran

    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

    Ovum

    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

    CHIPs?

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?

    Sulf[ph]uric Acid

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?

    mushrooms

    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

    ash

    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?

    Someone Dozier

    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which .1 2ardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?

    They are the suits in a tarot deck.

    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    >
    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

    Mary?

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

    1. Dexy's Midnight Runners

    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

    3. The Seekers

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly,
    > and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?

    4. Neil Diamond <Ted retches>

    > 5. Which band, named after a
    > football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?

    8. Paris, I believe

    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for
    > the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

    11. A Room with a View

    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

    12. Empress of India

    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
    > Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?

    14. John Richard Major

    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT
    > stand for?

    15. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won
    > once. For
    > which film?

    16. African Queen?

    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and
    > Gruesome"?
    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

    18. Debbie Reynolds

    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?

    19. Harry

    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story
    > called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

    20. A racehorse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

    21. London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and
    > Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and
    > COningsby? 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth
    > the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    25. Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

    26. Jefferson

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author
    > of Summa
    > Theologica

    28. St. Thomas Aquinas

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I
    > was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
    > saint in
    > 1935?

    30. Thomas More

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

    32. Iran

    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at
    > Deadman's Hill? 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate
    > the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?

    35. Prince Chucky and his two sons are #1 - #3 in the line of succession.
    Prince Andrew and his two daughters are #4 - #6 in the line of succession.
    Princess Anne is #7. I can't remember how many kids she's got, though.

    I'll guess Edward Wessex.

    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

    38. CHiPs.

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

    41. Pyongyang

    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil
    > of
    > Vitriol?

    43. Sulfuric acid

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?

    45. Mushrooms.

    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black
    > Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

    47. Willow

    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible
    > for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?

    50. Lamont Dozier

    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single
    > for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
    > Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the
    > most famous greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?

    54. Dice

    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?

    55. 969 years

    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and
    > pentangles?

    56. Tarot cards

    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one
    > seller. What is a monopsony?

    A market with only one buyer

    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
    > heaven?

    58. Virgin Mary

    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

    60. Run a sub-four-minute mile

    --
    Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

    The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?
    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    Shooting

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    A Room with a View
    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    Empress of India
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    James Ramsay Macdonald
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
    Massachussetts Institute of Technology

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?
    The African Queen
    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    Debbie Reynolds
    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    Harry
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    Horse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    London
    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    Disraeli
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    Hamlet?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?
    Edgar Allan Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    Thomas Jefferson
    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
    > Theologica
    Thomas Aquinas
    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?
    Thomas More

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    Iran
    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    Boxing
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    Princess Zara
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    Ham
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    Pyonyang
    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?
    Sulphuric Acid
    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    fungi
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    Willow
    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    969
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    Market with large buyer (buyers monopoly)

    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
    Break the four minute barrier for a mile
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:03:53 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    Dexy's Midnight Runners

    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    Dolly Parton?

    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    Petula Clark?

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?
    Neil Diamond

    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    A Room With A View

    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?
    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    Christopher Lee?

    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    Debie Reynolds

    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    Racehorse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?
    Edgar Allen Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
    > Theologica
    Aquinas

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    Under Milkwood?

    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?
    Thomas a Becket?

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    Persia--It's been around a lot longer than the name Iran

    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    CHIPs

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?
    sulfuric acid

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    Mushrooms/fungi in general

    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    Willow?

    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    Dozier

    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    Dice?

    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    917?

    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    In a Tarot deck

    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    Only one buyer

    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
    Mary

    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

    Barb

    (I know--nope.)
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

    Dexy's Midnight Runners

    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?

    Dolly Parton

    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

    the Seekers

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?

    Neil Diamond (that's Holly Holy, btw)

    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
    had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
    in
    > 84 and 88?
    >

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

    A Room With a View

    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

    Empress of India

    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
    Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
    for?

    Massachusetts Institute of Technology (I was class of 1970)

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
    For
    > which film?

    African Queen

    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

    Debbie Reynolds

    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

    a thoroughbred racehorse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

    London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    Edgar Allan Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

    Jefferson

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
    Summa
    > Theologica

    Aquinas

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
    young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
    saint in
    > 1935?
    >

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

    Iran, formerly Persia

    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
    Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?

    David Beckham

    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

    ovum

    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

    CHiPS

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

    Pyongyang

    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?

    sulfuric acid (oh all right, sulphuric)

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

    ash

    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
    many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?

    Lamont Dozier

    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
    Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
    famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?

    969

    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?

    a deck of tarot cards

    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?

    a market with only one buyer

    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
    heaven?

    Mary

    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

    run a mile in less than four minutes
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    = DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS
    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    = dolly parton
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    = the seekers
    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?
    =neil diamond
    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
    had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    =danny wilson

    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    =italy - juve?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    =is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    =ayr
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
    in
    > 84 and 88?
    =shooting or archery

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAVwas an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    =a room with a veiw
    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    =empress of india
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
    Gwyrosydd?

    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    =john rubberlips major
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
    for?

    =massachusets institute of technology
    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
    For
    > which film?
    =african queen
    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    =christopher lee - if it is it should have been
    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    =debbie reynolds
    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    =bing
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    =race hourse

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    =london
    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    =e s nesbitt
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    =disraeli
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    =i would guess henry 8
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    = e a poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    = jefferson

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
    Summa
    > Theologica
    =aquinus
    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
    young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
    saint in
    > 1935?
    =thomas more

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?=
    =the orkney islands
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    =india - but now in iran. i think
    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
    Hill?
    =hanrahan or hanratty
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    =boxing - he was marquis of queensbury
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    =peter phillips - son of princess anne

    1chaz
    2will
    3hal
    4and
    5bea
    6eug
    7edw
    8sprog
    9anne
    10peter
    11zara
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?

    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    =chips
    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    =the mall
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    =jenson
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    = pyongyang
    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?

    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?
    =suplhuric acid
    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    =brown
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    =yeasts/fungus
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    =willow
    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    =dave
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    =dee
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
    many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    =captain beefy
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
    Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
    famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    =titface - titchmarch
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    =tarot cards - the minor arcana?
    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    =only one buyer

    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
    heaven?
    =mary mother of jesus
    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    =a mile and four furlongs
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
    >
    > --
    > Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    > Boo.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Marc Dashevsky wrote:

    > In article <87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
    >> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    >
    > Bela Lugosi?

    No

    >> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    >
    > ash

    No

    Rest correct

    SupercalafragilisticBorussiaMoenchengladbach

    Ted S. wrote:

    > Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
    >> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    >
    > 14. John Richard Major

    I'm reasonably sure I checked this at the time. Wikipedia says he was
    born John Major Ball, but that he was christened John Roy
    Major. Had I know that at the time, I wouldn't have asked this question

    Not the JRM I was looking for, in other words.

    >> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    >
    > 35. Prince Chucky and his two sons are #1 - #3 in the line of succession.
    > Prince Andrew and his two daughters are #4 - #6 in the line of succession.
    > Princess Anne is #7.

    No. Edward comes before Anne, as the succession favours the male heirs.

    At the time of the question, Edward didn't have a child, btw.

    > I can't remember how many kids she's got, though.
    >
    > I'll guess Edward Wessex.

    No

    Rest correct.

    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    - Yogi Berra
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Matthew Newell wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > =italy - juve?

    Hmm. Lateral thinking. No, though. This team is literally called "Young
    Boys".

    >> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > =is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?

    Nope

    >> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
    > in
    >> 84 and 88?
    > =shooting or archery

    Shooting

    >> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > =john rubberlips major

    Not the one I was looking for

    >> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    > =christopher lee - if it is it should have been

    It is.

    >> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > =bing

    Nope

    >> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    > =india - but now in iran. i think

    I was looking for Iran

    >> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
    > Hill?
    > =hanrahan or hanratty

    Hanratty is correct. James.

    >> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > =boxing - he was marquis of queensbury
    >> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > =peter phillips - son of princess anne

    It is now. It wasn't then.

    > 1chaz
    > 2will
    > 3hal
    > 4and
    > 5bea
    > 6eug
    > 7edw
    > 8sprog

    Lady Louise Windsor. Wasn't born when the quiz was set.

    > 9anne
    > 10peter
    > 11zara

    So this was the one I was looking for.

    >> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    >> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > =captain beefy

    Close :)

    Rest correct.

    Could you leave blank lines around your answers? It makes them easier to
    mark. Cheers.

    "We are not the only experiment"
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:

    There are two in-jokes in the answers to this quiz. Can anyone spot them?

    I hate you, Butler
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    hitesh wrote:

    >> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > James Ramsay Macdonald

    This was the one I was looking for, yes

    >> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > Hamlet?

    No

    Rest correct

    Jose Padilla - charge him or release him. http://www.chargepadilla.org/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > Could you leave blank lines around your answers? It makes them easier to
    > mark. Cheers.
    sorry - you asked before. It's just that when I see a new quiz with no
    replies - I go hell for leather to get all the answers down asap and press
    the send in the hope to be first ( I still took 4 minutes too long!)

    thanks for all the hard work

    matthew

    > --
    > Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    > "We are not the only experiment"
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Matthew Newell wrote:

    >> Covld yov leave blank lines arovnd yovr answers? It makes them easier to
    >> mark. Cheers.
    > sorry - yov asked before. It's jvst that when I see a new qviz with no
    > replies - I go hell for leather to get all the answers down asap and press
    > the send in the hope to be first ( I still took 4 minvtes too long!)

    :-)

    > thanks for all the hard work

    Thanks.

    --
    Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
    Unionise.

    Barbara Bailey wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:03:53 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    > Petula Clark?

    No

    >> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    >> and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > Under Milkwood?

    No

    >> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    > Persia--It's been around a lot longer than the name Iran

    I normally ask these questions as "modern day country"

    > Barb
    >
    > (I know--nope.)

    :-)

    Rest correct

    "And we were singing hymns and arias"
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Steve Grant wrote:

    >> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    >
    > ash

    Nope

    Rest correct except for David Beckham, who is only fifteenth in line to
    the throne.

    "Suspected murderer of Tupac murder suspect murdered"
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Richard Schultz wrote:

    > In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >
    > :>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > :> =john rubberlips major
    > :
    > : Not the one I was looking for
    >
    > Was the one you *were* looking for by any chance J. Ramsay Macdonald?

    Aye

    Smoke yourself thin
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <87acytawb4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >Matthew Newell wrote:
    >
    >> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    >> =is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?
    >
    >Nope

    Particularly because the green blazer is for the Masters, not the US Open.

    Alan
    --
    Defendit numerus
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    >>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    >> =john rubberlips major
    >
    > Not the one I was looking for

    I had difficulty with this one since I was getting 19th C Canadian PM John
    A. Macdonald mixed up with James Ramsay MacDonald.

    And as we all know, Stanley Baldwin is the long-lost cousin of Alec,
    Billy, and the gang. :-)

    --
    Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-
    tie a perfect stranger, you must be doing *something* right.
    Marge Simpson, <http://www.snpp.com/episodes/7G01.html>
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

    The Seekers

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?

    Easy -- Neil Diamond

    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >
    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

    Finally a non-UK question. :-)

    Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?

    Hmmn.
    Casablanca? No, too obvious.

    Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
    win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.

    Hmmn.
    Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

    Boris Karloff?

    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

    A Horse.

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

    London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    Edgar Allan Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

    Thomas Jefferson

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
    > Summa Theologica

    Thomas Aquinas?

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?

    Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

    Orcadia? :-)

    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

    CHiPs

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

    Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :-)

    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?

    Hydrogen Sulfate

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    >
    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

    Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

    Run a four-minute mile?

    I need an easier quiz. :-)
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

    The Seekers

    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?

    Easy -- Neil Diamond

    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >
    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

    Finally a non-UK question. :-)

    Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?

    Hmmn.
    Casablanca? No, too obvious.

    Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
    win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.

    Hmmn.
    Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

    Boris Karloff?

    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

    A Horse.

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

    London

    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?

    Edgar Allan Poe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

    Thomas Jefferson

    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
    > Summa Theologica

    Thomas Aquinas?

    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?

    Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

    Orcadia? :-)

    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

    CHiPs

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

    Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :-)

    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?

    Hydrogen Sulfate

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    >
    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

    Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

    Run a four-minute mile?

    I need an easier quiz. :-)
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <3396efc6.0406242103.4136653e@posting.google.com>,
    gcrhoads@yahoo.com (Glenn C. Rhoads) wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    > > Music - girls names
    > > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    > > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    >
    > The Seekers
    >

    > > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > > Cracklin' Rosie?
    >
    > Easy -- Neil Diamond
    >

    > > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
    > > had a
    > > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    > >
    > > Sport
    > > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
    > > in
    > > 84 and 88?
    > >
    > > Blockbusters
    > > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    > > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    > > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
    > > Gwyrosydd?
    > > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
    > > for?
    >
    > Finally a non-UK question. :-)
    >
    > Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
    >

    > > Films
    > > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
    > > For
    > > which film?
    >
    > Hmmn.
    > Casablanca? No, too obvious.
    >
    > Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
    > win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.
    >
    > Hmmn.
    > Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."
    >

    > > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    >
    > Boris Karloff?
    >

    > > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

    Debbie Reynolds
    > > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    >
    > A Horse.
    >

    > > Literature
    > > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    >
    > London
    >

    > > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > > Children and It?
    > > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?

    Benjamin Disraeli

    > > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > > raven, 'Nevermore'"?
    >
    > Edgar Allan Poe
    >

    > > Thomases
    > > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    >
    > Thomas Jefferson
    >

    > > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
    > > Summa Theologica
    >
    > Thomas Aquinas?
    >

    > > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
    > > young and easy under the apple boughs"?

    "Under Milk Wood"

    > > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint
    > > in
    > > 1935?
    >
    > Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.
    >

    > > General Knowledge
    > > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    >
    > Orcadia? :-)

    Orkney

    > > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

    Persia?

    > > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
    > > Hill?
    > > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    >
    > CHiPs
    >

    > > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    >
    > Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :-)
    >

    > > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > > Vitriol?
    >
    > Hydrogen Sulfate
    Sulphuric acid

    > > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    > > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > > Nevada
    > > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    > > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    > > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
    > > many
    > > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
    > > famous
    > > greyhound ever?
    > > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    > > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > > monopsony?
    > >
    > > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
    > > heaven?
    >
    > Jesus? The Virgin Mary?
    >

    > > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
    >
    > Run a four-minute mile?
    >
    > I need an easier quiz. :-)
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

    Trying to limit my answers to ones I haven't seen answered...

    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?

    Ayr

    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?

    Disraeli

    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

    Orkney

    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

    Hmm. By maximum dimension I would reckon a nerve cell, but by volumn I
    would reckon an egg cell.

    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace

    The Mall

    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?

    Jensen

    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?

    North Sea gas or oil fields?

    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?

    Brown

    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada

    Land speed record

    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?

    Dave

    --
    Larry Lard
    Replies to group please.

    Glenn C. Rhoads wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    >> Music - girls names
    >> Films
    >> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    >> which film?
    >
    > Hmmn.
    > Casablanca? No, too obvious.
    >
    > Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
    > win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.
    >
    > Hmmn.
    > Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

    TAQ is correct.

    >> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    >
    > Boris Karloff?

    No

    >> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    >
    > Orcadia? :-)

    :)

    No

    >> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    >> Vitriol?
    >
    > Hydrogen Sulfate

    Hmmmm

    >> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
    >
    > Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

    TVM

    Rest correct.

    Jose Padilla - charge him or release him. http://www.chargepadilla.org/
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Virgil wrote:

    > In article <3396efc6.0406242103.4136653e@posting.google.com>,
    > gcrhoads@yahoo.com (Glenn C. Rhoads) wrote:
    >> > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
    >> > young and easy under the apple boughs"?
    >
    > "Under Milk Wood"

    No.

    Others correct

    The snow meant for them falls on the roadway
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    LarryLard wrote:

    All correct.

    Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise
  26. Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

    > Matthew Newell wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > >> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > >> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > > =captain beefy
    >
    > Close :)

    #The bravest animals in all the land are Captain _Beaky_ and his band.

    Oh lord, that's two sad pop trivia questions I've answered now :(

    AndrewR

  27. Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    Andrewr At Work wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >
    >> Matthew Newell wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>

    >> > =captain beefy
    >>
    >> Close :)
    >
    > #The bravest animals in all the land are Captain _Beaky_ and his band.

    Correct.

    > Oh lord, that's two sad pop trivia questions I've answered now :(

    <smirk>

    SupercalafragilisticBorussiaMoenchengladbach
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    [Only including answers that I don't recall having seen already.)

    Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?

    Switzerland

    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?

    Mushrooms.

    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible
    > for many of the most memorable songs of Motown?

    Jools Holland. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog wrote:

    > [Only including answers that I don't recall having seen already.)
    >

    > Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
    >> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    >
    > Switzerland

    Aye! From Berne.

    >> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    >
    > Mushrooms.

    Yup

    >> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible
    >> for many of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    >
    > Jools Holland. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

    :) No.

    "on day release from hopelessness"
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

    > Music - girls names
    > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    Dexy's Midnight Runners
    > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    > Cracklin' Rosie?
    Neil Diamond
    > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    >
    > Sport
    > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    > 84 and 88?
    >

    > Blockbusters
    > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
    Mass. Institute of Technology
    > Films
    > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    > which film?
    > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    Debby Reynolds
    > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    A Horse, Of course

    > Literature
    > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    > Children and It?
    > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    > raven, 'Nevermore'"?
    Edgar Allen POe

    > Thomases
    > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
    > Theologica
    > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    > and easy under the apple boughs"?
    > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    > 1935?
    >

    > General Knowledge
    > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    CHiPs
    > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    > Vitriol?
    > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
    > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    > Nevada
    > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    Dave
    > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
    > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    > greyhound ever?
    > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    in a Tarot Deck
    > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    > monopsony?
    >
    > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
    > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

    Correct

    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
    religious conviction."
    -- Pascal
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Music - girls names
    1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
    Dexy's Midnight Runner
    2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
    Dolly Parton
    3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
    The Seekers
    4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
    Cracklin' Rosie?
    Neil Diamond
    5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
    hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
    Danny Wilson
    Sport
    6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
    Switzerland
    7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
    Rowing (it's a race along the Thames)
    8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
    Paris
    9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
    Ayr
    10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
    84 and 88?
    Shooting
    Blockbusters
    11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
    A Room With A View
    12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
    Empress of India
    13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
    Calon Lan
    14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
    James Ramsey MacDonald
    15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Films
    16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
    which film?
    The African Queen
    17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
    Christopher Lee
    18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
    Debbie Reynolds
    19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
    Harry
    20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
    "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
    A racehorse
    Literature
    21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
    London
    22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
    Children and It?
    Edith Nesbitt
    23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
    Benjamin Disraeli
    24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
    Henry VIII
    25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
    raven, 'Nevermore'"?
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Thomases
    26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
    Jefferson
    27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
    Theologica
    Saint Thomas Aquinus
    28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
    and easy under the apple boughs"?
    Fernhill
    29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
    Annie and Clarabel (point for both)
    30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
    1935?
    Sir Thomas More
    General Knowledge
    31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
    The Orkneys
    32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
    Iran
    33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
    James Hanratty
    34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
    Boxing (8th Marquess of Queensbury)
    35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
    Zara Phillips
    36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
    Ham
    37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
    Egg
    38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
    CHiPS

    (you'll notice something unusual about those three answers)

    39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
    The Mall
    40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
    Jensen
    41. What is the capital of North Korea?
    Pyongyang
    42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
    North Sea oil fields
    43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
    Vitriol?
    Sulphuric Acid
    44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
    Brown
    45. Mycology is the study of what?
    Fungi/mushrooms
    46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
    Nevada
    Broke land speed record
    47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
    Willow
    48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
    Dave
    49. On which river does Chester stand?
    Dee
    50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
    of the most memorable songs of Motown?
    Lamont Dozier
    51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
    Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
    Captain Beaky
    52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
    Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
    greyhound ever?
    Mick The Miller
    53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
    Alan Titchmarsh

    (You'll notice that those five answers are Dave, Dee, Dozier,
    Beaky, Mick, and Titchmarsh. Ah, the things I do to amuse
    myself. No bugger noticed, either)

    54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
    Dice
    55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
    969 (50 each way, 2 for spot on)
    56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
    Tarot cards
    57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
    monopsony?
    A market with only one buyer
    58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
    The Virgin Mary
    59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
    Mile and a half (12 furlongs)
    60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
    Run a mile in under 4 minutes

    "You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
    - Paul Robeson to the HUAC

Video Games