Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Music - girls names
1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
Cracklin' Rosie?
5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?

Sport
6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
84 and 88?

Blockbusters
11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

Films
16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
which film?
17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
"Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

Literature
21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
Children and It?
23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Thomases
26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
Theologica
28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
and easy under the apple boughs"?
29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
1935?

General Knowledge
31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
41. What is the capital of North Korea?
42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
Vitriol?
44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
45. Mycology is the study of what?
46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
Nevada
47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
49. On which river does Chester stand?
50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
of the most memorable songs of Motown?
51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
greyhound ever?
53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
monopsony?

58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

Boo.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

Dexy's Midnight Runners

> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

The Seekers

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?

Neil Diamond

> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
> 84 and 88?
>
> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

A Room With A View

> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

Empress Of India?

> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
> which film?
> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

Bela Lugosi?

> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

Debbie Reynolds. She also was a singer, with a huge hit "Tammy."

> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

thoroughbred race horse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Edgar Allan Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

Jefferson?

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
> Theologica

Aquinas?

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
> 1935?

More

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

Iran

> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

Ovum

> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

CHIPs?

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?

Sulf[ph]uric Acid

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?

mushrooms

> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

ash

> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?

Someone Dozier

> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which .1 2ardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?

They are the suits in a tarot deck.

> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
>
> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

Mary?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

1. Dexy's Midnight Runners

> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

3. The Seekers

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly,
> and
> Cracklin' Rosie?

4. Neil Diamond <Ted retches>

> 5. Which band, named after a
> football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?

8. Paris, I believe

> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for
> the UK in
> 84 and 88?
>

> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

11. A Room with a View

> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

12. Empress of India

> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
> Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?

14. John Richard Major

> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT
> stand for?

15. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won
> once. For
> which film?

16. African Queen?

> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and
> Gruesome"?
> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

18. Debbie Reynolds

> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?

19. Harry

> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story
> called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

20. A racehorse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

21. London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and
> Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and
> COningsby? 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth
> the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

25. Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

26. Jefferson

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author
> of Summa
> Theologica

28. St. Thomas Aquinas

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I
> was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
> saint in
> 1935?

30. Thomas More

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

32. Iran

> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at
> Deadman's Hill? 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate
> the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?

35. Prince Chucky and his two sons are #1 - #3 in the line of succession.
Prince Andrew and his two daughters are #4 - #6 in the line of succession.
Princess Anne is #7. I can't remember how many kids she's got, though.

I'll guess Edward Wessex.

> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

38. CHiPs.

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

41. Pyongyang

> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil
> of
> Vitriol?

43. Sulfuric acid

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?

45. Mushrooms.

> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black
> Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

47. Willow

> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible
> for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?

50. Lamont Dozier

> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single
> for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
> Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the
> most famous greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?

54. Dice

> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?

55. 969 years

> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and
> pentangles?

56. Tarot cards

> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one
> seller. What is a monopsony?

A market with only one buyer

> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
> heaven?

58. Virgin Mary

> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

60. Run a sub-four-minute mile

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?
> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
> 84 and 88?
Shooting

> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
A Room with a View
> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
Empress of India
> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
James Ramsay Macdonald
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
Massachussetts Institute of Technology

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
> which film?
The African Queen
> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
Debbie Reynolds
> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
Harry
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
Horse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
London
> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
Disraeli
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
Hamlet?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?
Edgar Allan Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
Thomas Jefferson
> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
> Theologica
Thomas Aquinas
> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
> 1935?
Thomas More

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
Iran
> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
Boxing
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
Princess Zara
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
Ham
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
Pyonyang
> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?
Sulphuric Acid
> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
fungi
> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
Willow
> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?
> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
969
> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
Market with large buyer (buyers monopoly)

> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
Break the four minute barrier for a mile

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:03:53 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
Dexy's Midnight Runners

> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
Dolly Parton?

> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
Petula Clark?

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?
Neil Diamond

> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
> 84 and 88?
>

> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
A Room With A View

> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
> which film?
> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
Christopher Lee?

> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
Debie Reynolds

> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
Racehorse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?
Edgar Allen Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of Summa
> Theologica
Aquinas

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
Under Milkwood?

> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
> 1935?
Thomas a Becket?

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
Persia--It's been around a lot longer than the name Iran

> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
CHIPs

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?
sulfuric acid

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
Mushrooms/fungi in general

> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
Willow?

> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?
Dozier

> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
Dice?

> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
917?

> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
In a Tarot deck

> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
Only one buyer

> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
Mary

> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

Barb

(I know--nope.)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?

Dexy's Midnight Runners

> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?

Dolly Parton

> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

the Seekers

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?

Neil Diamond (that's Holly Holy, btw)

> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
in
> 84 and 88?
>

> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?

A Room With a View

> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?

Empress of India

> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
for?

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (I was class of 1970)

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
For
> which film?

African Queen

> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

Debbie Reynolds

> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

a thoroughbred racehorse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Edgar Allan Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

Jefferson

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
Summa
> Theologica

Aquinas

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
saint in
> 1935?
>

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

Iran, formerly Persia

> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?

David Beckham

> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

ovum

> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

CHiPS

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

Pyongyang

> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?

sulfuric acid (oh all right, sulphuric)

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?

ash

> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?

Lamont Dozier

> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?

969

> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?

a deck of tarot cards

> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?

a market with only one buyer

> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
heaven?

Mary

> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

run a mile in less than four minutes

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
= DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS
> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
= dolly parton
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
= the seekers
> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?
=neil diamond
> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
=danny wilson

> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
=italy - juve?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
=is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
=ayr
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
in
> 84 and 88?
=shooting or archery

> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAVwas an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
=a room with a veiw
> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
=empress of india
> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
Gwyrosydd?

> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
=john rubberlips major
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
for?

=massachusets institute of technology
> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
For
> which film?
=african queen
> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
=christopher lee - if it is it should have been
> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
=debbie reynolds
> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
=bing
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
=race hourse

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
=london
> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
=e s nesbitt
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
=disraeli
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
=i would guess henry 8
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

= e a poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
= jefferson

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
Summa
> Theologica
=aquinus
> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a
saint in
> 1935?
=thomas more

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?=
=the orkney islands
> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
=india - but now in iran. i think
> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
Hill?
=hanrahan or hanratty
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
=boxing - he was marquis of queensbury
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
=peter phillips - son of princess anne

1chaz
2will
3hal
4and
5bea
6eug
7edw
8sprog
9anne
10peter
11zara
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?

> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
=chips
> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
=the mall
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
=jenson
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
= pyongyang
> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?

> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?
=suplhuric acid
> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
=brown
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
=yeasts/fungus
> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
=willow
> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
=dave
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
=dee
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?
> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
=captain beefy
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English
Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
=titface - titchmarch
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
=tarot cards - the minor arcana?
> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
=only one buyer

> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
heaven?
=mary mother of jesus
> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
=a mile and four furlongs

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
>
> Bela Lugosi?

No

>> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
>
> ash

No

Rest correct

SupercalafragilisticBorussiaMoenchengladbach

Ted S. wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
>
> 14. John Richard Major

I'm reasonably sure I checked this at the time. Wikipedia says he was
born John Major Ball, but that he was christened John Roy
Major. Had I know that at the time, I wouldn't have asked this question

Not the JRM I was looking for, in other words.

>> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
>
> 35. Prince Chucky and his two sons are #1 - #3 in the line of succession.
> Prince Andrew and his two daughters are #4 - #6 in the line of succession.
> Princess Anne is #7.

No. Edward comes before Anne, as the succession favours the male heirs.

At the time of the question, Edward didn't have a child, btw.

> I can't remember how many kids she's got, though.
>
> I'll guess Edward Wessex.

No

Rest correct.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> =italy - juve?

Hmm. Lateral thinking. No, though. This team is literally called "Young
Boys".

>> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> =is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?

Nope

>> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
> in
>> 84 and 88?
> =shooting or archery

Shooting

>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> =john rubberlips major

Not the one I was looking for

>> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
> =christopher lee - if it is it should have been

It is.

>> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> =bing

Nope

>> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
> =india - but now in iran. i think

I was looking for Iran

>> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
> Hill?
> =hanrahan or hanratty

Hanratty is correct. James.

>> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> =boxing - he was marquis of queensbury
>> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> =peter phillips - son of princess anne

It is now. It wasn't then.

> 1chaz
> 2will
> 3hal
> 4and
> 5bea
> 6eug
> 7edw
> 8sprog

Lady Louise Windsor. Wasn't born when the quiz was set.

> 9anne
> 10peter
> 11zara

So this was the one I was looking for.

>> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
>> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> =captain beefy

Close :)

Rest correct.

Could you leave blank lines around your answers? It makes them easier to
mark. Cheers.

"We are not the only experiment"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby wrote:

There are two in-jokes in the answers to this quiz. Can anyone spot them?

I hate you, Butler

hitesh wrote:

>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> James Ramsay Macdonald

This was the one I was looking for, yes

>> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> Hamlet?

No

Rest correct

Jose Padilla - charge him or release him. http://www.chargepadilla.org/

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

> Could you leave blank lines around your answers? It makes them easier to
> mark. Cheers.
sorry - you asked before. It's just that when I see a new quiz with no
replies - I go hell for leather to get all the answers down asap and press
the send in the hope to be first ( I still took 4 minutes too long!)

thanks for all the hard work

matthew

Matthew Newell wrote:

>> Covld yov leave blank lines arovnd yovr answers? It makes them easier to
>> mark. Cheers.
> sorry - yov asked before. It's jvst that when I see a new qviz with no
> replies - I go hell for leather to get all the answers down asap and press
> the send in the hope to be first ( I still took 4 minvtes too long!)

:)

> thanks for all the hard work

Thanks.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Unionise.

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:03:53 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
> Petula Clark?

No

>> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
>> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> Under Milkwood?

No

>> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
> Persia--It's been around a lot longer than the name Iran

I normally ask these questions as "modern day country"

> Barb
>
> (I know--nope.)

:)

Rest correct

"And we were singing hymns and arias"

Steve Grant wrote:

>> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
>
> ash

Nope

Rest correct except for David Beckham, who is only fifteenth in line to
the throne.

"Suspected murderer of Tupac murder suspect murdered"

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> :> =john rubberlips major
> :
> : Not the one I was looking for
>
> Was the one you *were* looking for by any chance J. Ramsay Macdonald?

Aye

Smoke yourself thin

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87acytawb4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>Matthew Newell wrote:
>
>> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>>> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
>> =is that the official name of the green blazer of the us open golf?
>
>Nope

Particularly because the green blazer is for the Masters, not the US Open.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

>>> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
>> =john rubberlips major
>
> Not the one I was looking for

I had difficulty with this one since I was getting 19th C Canadian PM John
A. Macdonald mixed up with James Ramsay MacDonald.

And as we all know, Stanley Baldwin is the long-lost cousin of Alec,
Billy, and the gang. :)

--

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

The Seekers

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?

Easy -- Neil Diamond

> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
> 84 and 88?
>
> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

Finally a non-UK question. :)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
> which film?

Hmmn.
Casablanca? No, too obvious.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.

Hmmn.
Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

Boris Karloff?

> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

A Horse.

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Edgar Allan Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

Thomas Jefferson

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
> Summa Theologica

Thomas Aquinas?

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
> 1935?

Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

Orcadia? :)

> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

CHiPs

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :)

> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?

Hydrogen Sulfate

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?
> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
>
> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

Run a four-minute mile?

I need an easier quiz. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Music - girls names
> 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
> 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?

The Seekers

> 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> Cracklin' Rosie?

Easy -- Neil Diamond

> 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager, had a
> hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
>
> Sport
> 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK in
> 84 and 88?
>
> Blockbusters
> 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
> 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
> 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard Gwyrosydd?
> 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand for?

Finally a non-UK question. :)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

> Films
> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
> which film?

Hmmn.
Casablanca? No, too obvious.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.

Hmmn.
Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?

Boris Karloff?

> 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?
> 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?

A Horse.

> Literature
> 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?

London

> 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> Children and It?
> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?
> 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> raven, 'Nevermore'"?

Edgar Allan Poe

> Thomases
> 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9

Thomas Jefferson

> 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
> Summa Theologica

Thomas Aquinas?

> 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was young
> and easy under the apple boughs"?
> 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint in
> 1935?

Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.

> General Knowledge
> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

Orcadia? :)

> 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?
> 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's Hill?
> 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?

CHiPs

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> 41. What is the capital of North Korea?

Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :)

> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> Vitriol?

Hydrogen Sulfate

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> 45. Mycology is the study of what?
> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada
> 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for many
> of the most memorable songs of Motown?
> 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most famous
> greyhound ever?
> 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
> 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
> 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> monopsony?
>
> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?

Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

> 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?

Run a four-minute mile?

I need an easier quiz. :)

virgil

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <3396efc6.0406242103.4136653e@posting.google.com>,
gcrhoads@yahoo.com (Glenn C. Rhoads) wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> > Music - girls names
> > 1. Who had a hit with "Come on Eileen" in the 80s?
> > 2. Who had a top-ten hit in 1976 with Jolene?
> > 3. Who had a number 2 in 1967 with Georgy Girl?
>
> The Seekers
>

> > 4. Who had US hits in 69 and 70 with Sweet Caroline, Holly Holly, and
> > Cracklin' Rosie?
>
> Easy -- Neil Diamond
>

> > 5. Which band, named after a football-player-turned-football-manager,
> > had a
> > hit in the 80s with 'Mary's Prayer'?
> >
> > Sport
> > 6. Which European country has a football team called Young Boys?
> > 7. In which sport would you compete for Doggett's Coat and Badge?
> > 8. In which city are the World Athletics Championships being held?
> > 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?
> > 10. In which sport did Malcolm Cooper win Olympic gold medals for the UK
> > in
> > 84 and 88?
> >
> > Blockbusters
> > 11. Which ARWAV was an EM Forster novel and a Merchant Ivory film?
> > 12. Which EOI was one of Queen Victoria's titles?
> > 13. Which CL is a hymn, tune by John Hughes and words by the bard
> > Gwyrosydd?
> > 14. Which JRM was Prime Minister during the 20th century?
> > 15. MIT is one of the US's most presigious colleges. What does MIT stand
> > for?
>
> Finally a non-UK question. :)
>
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
>

> > Films
> > 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once.
> > For
> > which film?
>
> Hmmn.
> Casablanca? No, too obvious.
>
> Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
> win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.
>
> Hmmn.
> Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."
>

> > 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
>
> Boris Karloff?
>

> > 18. Which actress was Carrie Fisher's mother?

Debbie Reynolds
> > 19. What was Bing Crosby's real first name?
> > 20. One of the top films in the US at the moment is a true story called
> > "Seabiscuit". Who or what was Seabiscuit?
>
> A Horse.
>

> > Literature
> > 21. A Tale of Two Cities: One was Paris. Which was the other?
>
> London
>

> > 22. Who wrote the childrens books The Phoenix and the Carpet, and Five
> > Children and It?
> > 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?

Benjamin Disraeli

> > 24. In which Shakespeare play does Thomas Cranmer appear?
> > 25. Who wrote the poem The Raven, featuring the repeated line "Quoth the
> > raven, 'Nevermore'"?
>
> Edgar Allan Poe
>

> > Thomases
> > 26. Which Thomas was US Ambassador to France between 1784-9
>
> Thomas Jefferson
>

> > 27. Which Thomas was a Catholic Philosopher born in 1225, and author of
> > Summa Theologica
>
> Thomas Aquinas?
>

> > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
> > young and easy under the apple boughs"?

"Under Milk Wood"

> > 29. What were the names of Thomas The Tank Engine's coaches?
> > 30. Which Thomas was knighted in 1521, executed in 1535, and made a saint
> > in
> > 1935?
>
> Sounds like Sir Thomas Moore.
>

> > General Knowledge
> > 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
>
> Orcadia? :)

Orkney

> > 32. From which country does the Farsi language originate?

Persia?

> > 33. Who was hanged for the 1962 murder of Michael Gregsten at Deadman's
> > Hill?
> > 34. Of which sport did John Sholto Douglas formulate the modern rules?
> > 35. Who is tenth in line to the throne of the United Kingdom?
> > 36. Which son of Noah was the father of Canaan?
> > 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?
> > 38. Which TV show featured Erik Estrada as Frank Poncherello?
>
> CHiPs
>

> > 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace
> > 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?
> > 41. What is the capital of North Korea?
>
> Pyanypyongnong ... However you spell it. :)
>

> > 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?
> > 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
> > Vitriol?
>
> Hydrogen Sulfate
Sulphuric acid

> > 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?
> > 45. Mycology is the study of what?
> > 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> > Nevada
> > 47. From which wood are cricket bats usually made?
> > 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?
> > 49. On which river does Chester stand?
> > 50. Who, along with Brian Holland and Eddie Holland, was responsible for
> > many
> > of the most memorable songs of Motown?
> > 51. Which captain's arch-enemy was Hissing Sid, and was a hit single for
> > Keith Mitchell in the 1970s?
> > 52. Which greyhound in 1930 became the first to win the English Greyhound
> > Derby twice in succession and went on to become probably the most
> > famous
> > greyhound ever?
> > 53. Which TV gardener called his autobiography Trowel and Error?
> > 54. In the gambling world, what are known as the Devil's Bones?
> > 55. According to Genesis, how old was Methuselah when he died?
> > 56. Where would you normally find swords, cups, wands, and pentangles?
> > 57. Economics: A monopoly is a market with only one seller. What is a
> > monopsony?
> >
> > 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered
> > heaven?
>
> Jesus? The Virgin Mary?
>

> > 59. Over what distance is the Epsom Derby run?
> > 60. On June 21 1954, John Landy became the second man to do what?
>
> Run a four-minute mile?
>
> I need an easier quiz. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

Trying to limit my answers to ones I haven't seen answered...

> 9. Which of the UK's racecourses has the shortest name?

Ayr

> 23. Which British Prime Minister wrote the novels Sybil and COningsby?

Disraeli

> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?

Orkney

> 37. Which is the largest cell in the human body?

Hmm. By maximum dimension I would reckon a nerve cell, but by volumn I
would reckon an egg cell.

> 39. Which London road leads from Admiralty Arch to Buckingham Palace

The Mall

> 40. Which car manufacturer made the Interceptor?

Jensen

> 42. What are Thistle, Beryl, Ninian, and Piper?

North Sea gas or oil fields?

> 44. On a London Underground map, what colour is the Bakerloo line?

Brown

> 46. How did Andy Green make history on 15th October 1997 at Black Rock,
> Nevada

Land speed record

> 48. What was the first name of Lister in the TV series Red Dwarf?

Dave

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please.

Glenn C. Rhoads wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02taz0m.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>> Music - girls names
>> Films
>> 16. Humphrey Bogart was nominated for three Oscars, but only won once. For
>> which film?
>
> Hmmn.
> Casablanca? No, too obvious.
>
> Treasure of the Sierra Madre? On second thought I recall Bogey didn't
> win an oscar for this though Walter Huston won for best supporting actor.
>
> Hmmn.
> Perhaps "The African Queen" or "The Caine Mutiny."

TAQ is correct.

>> 17. Which film-star called his autobiography "Tall, Dark and Gruesome"?
>
> Boris Karloff?

No

>> 31. Where does an Orcadian come from?
>
> Orcadia? :)

:)

No

>> 43. H2SO4 is the formula for which substance, formerly known as Oil of
>> Vitriol?
>
> Hydrogen Sulfate

Hmmmm

>> 58. Catholics celebrate Assumption as the day one which who entered heaven?
>
> Jesus? The Virgin Mary?

TVM

Virgil wrote:

> In article <3396efc6.0406242103.4136653e@posting.google.com>,
> gcrhoads@yahoo.com (Glenn C. Rhoads) wrote:
>> > 28. What is the name of the Dylan Thomas poem that begins "Now as I was
>> > young and easy under the apple boughs"?
>
> "Under Milk Wood"

No.

Others correct

The snow meant for them falls on the roadway