HPWirelessMgr.exe - Application Error

My laptop is locked and I cannot complete the boot process in Windows XP.
When I try to boot the machine, the initial Windows XP screen comes up as if
it will boot properly. But then the boot process stops and I get the
following error message:

HPWirelessMgr.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x76b2398c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read"

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Clicking on either OK or CANCEL brings up the blue window with the Windows
XP logo and the machine is locked. I have tried the boot process several
times and I get the same message and the locked screen each time. I have
tried to boot in "Safe Mode". I have also tried to boot in "Last Good
Configuration". All avenues lead to the locked blue screen with the Windows
XP logo.

I'm hoping not to have to do a 'System Restore" because I have files on the
laptop that I don't want to lose.

I'm running an HP laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and I have Service
Pack 2 installed.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

Willbraveheart

You have some trouble with your wireless connection, at least with a program (the file you quoted) related to it. I'd try the following: restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black, hit several times F8 and choose that option), uninstall everything related to wireless, restart normally and install them again.

"willbraveheart" <willbraveheart@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:E03E7B7B-C0D0-4FCB-8898-8D0C718A424B@microsoft.com...
> My laptop is locked and I cannot complete the boot process in Windows XP.
> When I try to boot the machine, the initial Windows XP screen comes up as if
> it will boot properly. But then the boot process stops and I get the
> following error message:
>
> HPWirelessMgr.exe - Application Error
>
> The instruction at "0x76b2398c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
> memory could not be "read"
>
> Click on OK to terminate the program
> Click on CANCEL to debug the program
>
> Clicking on either OK or CANCEL brings up the blue window with the Windows
> XP logo and the machine is locked. I have tried the boot process several
> times and I get the same message and the locked screen each time. I have
> tried to boot in "Safe Mode". I have also tried to boot in "Last Good
> Configuration". All avenues lead to the locked blue screen with the Windows
> XP logo.
>
> I'm hoping not to have to do a 'System Restore" because I have files on the
> laptop that I don't want to lose.
>
> I'm running an HP laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and I have Service
> Pack 2 installed.
>
> Any suggestions out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Willbraveheart

Jose:

Thanks for the reply. But I'm not clear. Are you saying that I should be
working in "Safe Mode" or in the Bios Setup. When I boot up in Safe Mode, I
can enter the Safe Mode boot up path after hitting F8, but once I get to the
Safe Mode Screen and tell it I want to enter in Safe Mode, it asks me which
system, and when I choose Windows XP, it tries to boot up but I get the same
locked blue screen with the Windows XP logo.

I have worked in BIOS only once or twice a long time ago. I can try it, but
don't have a lot of confidence about how to find the wireless files and
uninstall.

By the way, I don't use wireless at this time.

Thanks,

Bill "willbraveheart"

"José Gallardo" wrote:

> You have some trouble with your wireless connection, at least with a program (the file you quoted) related to it. I'd try the following: restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black, hit several times F8 and choose that option), uninstall everything related to wireless, restart normally and install them again.
>
> "willbraveheart" <willbraveheart@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:E03E7B7B-C0D0-4FCB-8898-8D0C718A424B@microsoft.com...
> > My laptop is locked and I cannot complete the boot process in Windows XP.
> > When I try to boot the machine, the initial Windows XP screen comes up as if
> > it will boot properly. But then the boot process stops and I get the
> > following error message:
> >
> > HPWirelessMgr.exe - Application Error
> >
> > The instruction at "0x76b2398c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
> > memory could not be "read"
> >
> > Click on OK to terminate the program
> > Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> >
> > Clicking on either OK or CANCEL brings up the blue window with the Windows
> > XP logo and the machine is locked. I have tried the boot process several
> > times and I get the same message and the locked screen each time. I have
> > tried to boot in "Safe Mode". I have also tried to boot in "Last Good
> > Configuration". All avenues lead to the locked blue screen with the Windows
> > XP logo.
> >
> > I'm hoping not to have to do a 'System Restore" because I have files on the
> > laptop that I don't want to lose.
> >
> > I'm running an HP laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and I have Service
> > Pack 2 installed.
> >
> > Any suggestions out there?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Willbraveheart

No, you have NOT go into the BIOS. If you hit F8 (but this may change depending on the manufacturer!) as I said, you may get a menu on which the first option is "Safe Mode" (I say again: the key may change). Then, go to "HP Notebook Utilities", and uninstall them. Then restart normally.

"willbraveheart" <willbraveheart@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:25E0CAD1-D6EF-4EA7-9F51-B749771638D1@microsoft.com...
> Jose:
>
> Thanks for the reply. But I'm not clear. Are you saying that I should be
> working in "Safe Mode" or in the Bios Setup. When I boot up in Safe Mode, I
> can enter the Safe Mode boot up path after hitting F8, but once I get to the
> Safe Mode Screen and tell it I want to enter in Safe Mode, it asks me which
> system, and when I choose Windows XP, it tries to boot up but I get the same
> locked blue screen with the Windows XP logo.
>
> I have worked in BIOS only once or twice a long time ago. I can try it, but
> don't have a lot of confidence about how to find the wireless files and
> uninstall.
>
> By the way, I don't use wireless at this time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill "willbraveheart"
>
> "José Gallardo" wrote:
>
>> You have some trouble with your wireless connection, at least with a program (the file you quoted) related to it. I'd try the following: restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black, hit several times F8 and choose that option), uninstall everything related to wireless, restart normally and install them again.
>>
>> "willbraveheart" <willbraveheart@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:E03E7B7B-C0D0-4FCB-8898-8D0C718A424B@microsoft.com...
>> > My laptop is locked and I cannot complete the boot process in Windows XP.
>> > When I try to boot the machine, the initial Windows XP screen comes up as if
>> > it will boot properly. But then the boot process stops and I get the
>> > following error message:
>> >
>> > HPWirelessMgr.exe - Application Error
>> >
>> > The instruction at "0x76b2398c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
>> > memory could not be "read"
>> >
>> > Click on OK to terminate the program
>> > Click on CANCEL to debug the program
>> >
>> > Clicking on either OK or CANCEL brings up the blue window with the Windows
>> > XP logo and the machine is locked. I have tried the boot process several
>> > times and I get the same message and the locked screen each time. I have
>> > tried to boot in "Safe Mode". I have also tried to boot in "Last Good
>> > Configuration". All avenues lead to the locked blue screen with the Windows
>> > XP logo.
>> >
>> > I'm hoping not to have to do a 'System Restore" because I have files on the
>> > laptop that I don't want to lose.
>> >
>> > I'm running an HP laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and I have Service
>> > Pack 2 installed.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions out there?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Willbraveheart

Hey, did you guys get it sorted? I have the same problem. I cannot get
in via safe mode.

Cheers Abhi

--
gabhig
gabhig's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5519

"gabhig" wrote:
> [...]
> the blue window with the
> > Windows
>   > >> > XP logo and the machine is locked. I have
> tried the boot process
> > several
>   > >> > times and I get the same message and the
> locked screen each time.
> > I have
>   > >> > tried to boot in "Safe Mode". I have also
> tried to boot in "Last
> > Good
>   > >> > Configuration". All avenues lead to the
> locked blue screen with
> > the Windows
>   > >> > XP logo.
>   > >> >
>   > >> > I'm hoping not to have to do a 'System
> Restore" because I have
> > files on the
>   > >> > laptop that I don't want to lose.
>   > >> >
>   > >> > I'm running an HP laptop with Windows XP

I just started having the same problem last night. I recently
installed Norton Antivirus. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Did you recently install Norton Antivirus?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-HPWirelessMgr.exe-Application-Error-ftopict344404.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177707