Did You Know? not updating in "Help and Support" XP-SP2

The "Did You Know?" part of my Help and Support never updates. It gives me
the default message about "When you are connected to the internet... etc." I
have a cable modem connecting me to the internet that is always on and
functions correctly in other apps. I have tried to "Start the New Connection
Wizard" and chosen "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on"
but it doesn't change the default message.

One website suggested I delete the file "newsver.xml" in
C:\Windows\PCHealth\HELPCTR\Config\News. I tried that, but the default
message is the same and the "newsver.xml" file was simply recreated.

Can anyone suggest what I am missing?

Try this from Kelly Theriot web site:

"Why doesn't Help and Support work?"

"pjn" <pjn@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:07C0BFC0-8EAA-44C5-89C3-379815684FEF@microsoft.com...
> The "Did You Know?" part of my Help and Support never updates. It gives me
> the default message about "When you are connected to the internet... etc." I
> have a cable modem connecting me to the internet that is always on and
> functions correctly in other apps. I have tried to "Start the New Connection
> Wizard" and chosen "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on"
> but it doesn't change the default message.
>
> One website suggested I delete the file "newsver.xml" in
> C:\Windows\PCHealth\HELPCTR\Config\News. I tried that, but the default
> message is the same and the "newsver.xml" file was simply recreated.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I am missing?

I've observed this always happens with broadband connection. When I
connected to internet using dial-up, Help and Support could connect to the
internet and download the news block XML files (2 XML files will be
downloaded, and then merged based one some criteria) and the "Did you know?"
updated correctly. "Did you know?" actually reflects what;s in the XML file.

When using broadband (ADSL), I changed the value "EnableAutodial" to 1 in
this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings

This works sometime, but not consistent.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User