Pub Quiz - 20030925

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Music
1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
Prison Blues?
4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?

Coups
6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?
7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?
8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
being one of the most famous
9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?

Airports
11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?
12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?
13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?
14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
which city?
15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?

17th Century
16. Who became King of England in 1603
17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.
19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?

Current Affairs
21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
the weekend?
22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
week?
24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
chairman?
25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?

Film Characters
26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
Films?
27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?

General Knowledge
31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
programme . . ."
33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
Strachey, E.M. Forster
35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?
36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
of Brabant?
37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
better known?
38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?
43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
the second most?
48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?
49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
India, and the USA?
53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?
54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?
55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?
56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
ceremony?
59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ

Smoke yourself thin

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
> Prison Blues?

Johnny Cash

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?

U2

> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?

The Monkees

> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?

Uganda

> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?

Pakistan

> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous

Putsch

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
>
> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?

Fiorello LaGuardia

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?

John Lennon

> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?

Ronald Reagan

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?

Dublin

> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
>
> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.

Fermat

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>
> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
> the weekend?
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
> week?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
> chairman?
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>
> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
> Films?
> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
> programme . . ."
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster

Bloomsbury

> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?

Jupiter

> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
> of Brabant?
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
> better known?
> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?

Tetanus

> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?

Kneeling

> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?

Joule

> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
> the second most?
> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?

North American Free Trade Area

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?

Karl Marx

> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?

Indonesia

> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?

Denmark

> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?

Shot #13

> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?

Saxophone

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?

Spanish Civil War

> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?

Greece

> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
> 60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

Keith Willoughby writes:

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?

Lili Marlene.

> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
> Prison Blues?

Johnny Cash.

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?
>
> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?

Congo (the one that was Zaire for a while)?

> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?
> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous

Putsch.

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?

Czechoslovakia.

> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?

Fiorello La Guardia.

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?
> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?

Ronald Reagan.

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?

Dublin?

> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?

Amsterdam.

> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.

Pierre de Fermat.

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?

Thirty Years War.

> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
> the weekend?
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
> week?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
> chairman?
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>
> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
> Films?

MacLane. John MacLane, I think.

> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?

Some Like It Hot.

> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?

Taxi Driver.

> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?

Gary Sinise?

> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?

Frank Morgan.

> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?

Squire.

> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
> programme . . ."

As a way of life?

> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster

The ink-something. Inkhorns?

> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?

Jupiter.

> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
> of Brabant?

Netherlands, I hope.

> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
> better known?

The Big Bopper?

> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?

3?

> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?

To kneel on.

> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?

Joule.

> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?

Philip Arthur George.

> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?

Mother Teresa?

> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
> the second most?

Montreal?

> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?

North American Free Trade Agreement.

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?

Jesse Owens?

> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?

Karl Marx?

> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?

Russia?

> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?

Denmark.

> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?

Ronald Reagan, attempted assassination of.

> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?

The saxophone.

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?

Spanish Civil War.

> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?

The host nation.

> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?

I don't know that! Aaaaaaaaaaagh...

> 60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is a film of non-stop action
msb@vex.net | and non-start intelligence." --Mark Leeper

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers

> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a
hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and
Folsom
> Prison Blues?

Johnny Cash

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?

U2

> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?

the Monkees

> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971
coup?
> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?

Pakistan

> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous

putsch

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?

Ethiopia

> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
>
> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?

Fiorello LaGuardia

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?

John Lennon

> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?

Ronald Reagan

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?

Dublin

> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
>
> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?

Pocahontas

> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a
book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.

Pierre Fermat

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>
> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast
over
> the weekend?
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time
last
> week?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is
he
> chairman?
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>
> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die
Hard
> Films?
> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?

You talkin' to me? Taxi Driver

> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and
later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much
> programme . . ."
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster
> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?

Mars

> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is
Song
> of Brabant?
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How
was he
> better known?

the Big Bopper

> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves
play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?

two

> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?

sitting

> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?

erg

> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?

the USA

> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?

Mother Theresa

> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which
city has
> the second most?

Casablanca

> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand
for?

North American Free Trade Agreement

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?

that guy in Chariots of Fire

> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?

Mikhail Gorbachev

> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?

Indonesia

> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?

Denmark

> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?

by shooting Ronald Reagan and James Brady

> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?

the saxophone

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?

"Dukedoms"? Not "duchies"? "As I walk through my dukedom, nothing can stop
me, 'cause I'm the Duke of Earl."

> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?

Greece

> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
> 60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse
Organ

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:35:14 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
Lili Marlene?

> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
> Prison Blues?
Johnny Cash

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
REM?

> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?
The Monkees

> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?
> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?
> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous
putsch

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
>
> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?
The Little Flower--Fiorello LaGuardia

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?
> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?
Reagan

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?
> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
Amsterdam

> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
Pocahontas

> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.
Fermat

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>
> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
> the weekend?
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
> week?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
> chairman?
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>
> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
> Films?
John McLean

> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
Some Like It Hot

> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
Taxi Driver

> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
squire, esquire

> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
> programme . . ."
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster
> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?
> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
> of Brabant?
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
> better known?
The Big Bopper

> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
Much Ado?

> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
kneel on it

> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?
> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
> the second most?
Quebec?

> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?
North American Ftree Trade Association

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
Beatrix Potter?

> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?
> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?
> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?
> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?
the Saxophone

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?
Greece

The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
> Prison Blues?
> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?
>
> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?
Uganda
> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?
Pakistan
> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous
Putsch
> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
Libya
> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
Czechoslovakia

> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?
LaGuardia
> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?
John Lennon
> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?
Reagan i think
> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?
> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
Amsterdam

> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
James I
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
Pocahontas
> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.
Fermeat
> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
English civil war
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
Thirty years war

> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
> the weekend?
Isabel
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
> week?
Sussex?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
> chairman?
Was the chairman of the BBC afaik
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
Madonna

> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
> Films?
John Mclane
> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
Taxi Driver
> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
Matt Damon
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
Esquire
> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
> programme . . ."
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
Cricket grounds
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster

> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?
> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
> of Brabant?
Belgium
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
> better known?
Buddy Holly
> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
Four
> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?
Joule
> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
USA
> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
Philip Arthur Charles
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
Mother Teresa?
> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
> the second most?
> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?
North America Free Trade Agreement
> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
Harold Abraham
> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
Marx!
> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?
Indonesia
> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?
Denmark
> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?
Attempted assasination of Reagan
> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?
Saxophone
> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
Normandy?
> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
Spanish Civil War
> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?
Greece?
> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
General Purpose Machine Gun

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> Music
>> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
>> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became
>> a hit for many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
>> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line
>> and Folsom Prison Blues?
>
> Johnny Cash
>
>> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
>
> U2
>
>> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?
>
> The Monkees
>
>> Coups
>> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971
>> coup?
>
> Uganda
>
>> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?
>
> Pakistan
>
>> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
>> being one of the most famous
>
> Putsch
>
>> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?

Ethiopia

>> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
>>
>> Airports
>> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's
>> airports?
>
> Fiorello LaGuardia
>
>> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?
>
> John Lennon
>
>> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?
>
> Ronald Reagan
>
>> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in
>> which city?
>
> Dublin
>
>> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
>>
>> 17th Century
>> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
>> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?
>> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a
>> book that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.
>
> Fermat
>
>> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
>> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?

Hundred Years War

>> Current Affairs
>> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic
>> coast over
>> the weekend?
>> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
>> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first
>> time last week?
>> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation
>> is he chairman?
>> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>>
>> Film Characters
>> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the
>> Die Hard Films?
>> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?

Some Like it Hot

>> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
>> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
>> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>>
>> General Knowledge
>> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights,
>> and later became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?

Squire (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

>> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so
>> much a programme . . ."
>> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
>> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
>> Strachey, E.M. Forster
>
> Bloomsbury
>
>> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?
>
> Jupiter
>
>> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into
>> English, is Song of Brabant?

Austria

>> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959.
>> How was he better known?

Little Richard

>> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu
>> Reeves play Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
>> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
>> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
>
> Tetanus
>
>> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
>
> Kneeling
>
>> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?
>
> Joule
>
>> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
>> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?
>> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
>> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
>> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which
>> city has the second most?

Montreal

>> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA
>> stand for?
>
> North American Free Trade Area
>
>> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
>> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
>> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
>
> Karl Marx
>
>> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after
>> China, India, and the USA?
>
> Indonesia
>
>> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?
>
> Denmark
>
>> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?
>
> Shot #13
>
>> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?
>
> Saxophone
>
>> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
>> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
>
> Spanish Civil War
>
>> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
>> ceremony?
>
> Greece
>
>> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
>> 60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse
>> Organ

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?

frankie lymon

> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a
hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?

lily marlene

> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and
Folsom
> Prison Blues?

jphnny cash

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?

u2

> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?

monkees

> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971
coup?

uganda

> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?

pakistan

> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous

putsch

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?

idris sounds welsh

but maybe libya

> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?

czechoslovakia

> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?

la guardia

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?

john lennon

> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?

ronald reagan

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?

inverness

> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?

rotterdam

> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603

james 1

> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?

pochohontas

> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a
book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.

pierre de fermat

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?

civil war

> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?

was on a roll till now

> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast
over
> the weekend?

michael

> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time
last
> week?

glamorgan

> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is
he
> chairman?

he was BBC

> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?

madonna

> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die
Hard
> Films?

john

> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?

some like it hot?

> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?
> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?

matt damon?
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?

> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and
later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?

squire

> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much
> programme . . ."
as a way of life ??
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba

cricket grounds

> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster

bloomsberry

> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?

jupiter

> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is
Song
> of Brabant?

belgium
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How
was he
> better known?

the day the music died buddy holly?

> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves
play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?

much ado about nothing

> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?

4

> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?

tb
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?

to kneel on
> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?

joule

> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?

> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?

usa

> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?

henry phillip wanker
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?

padre pio

> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which
city has
> the second most?

tangiers , montreal

> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand
for?
north atlantic free trade assoc

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?

> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck

beatrix potter

> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?

indonesia

> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?

norway no denmark no norway

demark - final answer chris
> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?

shot /attempted assassination of reagan

> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?

saxophone

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?

norfolk

> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?

spanish civil war
> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?

greece

> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?

general purpose munitions grenade (total guess)

> 60. Which children's TV show features a Marvellous Mechanical Mouse
Organ

bagpuss o bagpuss o big furry cat-puss

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
>
> Tetanus

No

Rest correct!

"Do you want it pasteurised, 'cause pasteurised is best??"
"Ernie, I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest"

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>

>> Music
>> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
>
> frankie lymon

Name of his backing band?

>> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
>> which city?
>
> inverness

No

>> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
>
> rotterdam

No

>> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>

> was on a roll till now

:)

>> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
>> the weekend?
>
> michael

No

>> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
>> week?
>
> glamorgan

No.

>> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
>> Films?
>
> john

Yeah. I think I wanted the surname, too, although I didn't mention it in
the quiz.

>> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
>> programme . . ."
> as a way of life ??

More a way of life, yes.

>> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
>> better known?
>
> the day the music died

yes

> buddy holly?

no

>> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
>
> henry phillip wanker

:)

Phillip is correct

>> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
>
> padre pio

No.

>> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
>> the second most?
>
> tangiers , montreal

The latter.

>> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?
>
> norway no denmark no norway
> demark - final answer chris

Correct!

>> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
>
> general purpose munitions grenade (total guess)

First two are correct.

Rest correct.

I hate you, Butler

Jeffrey Turner" <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in message
> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand
for?

North American Free Trade Area

> Rest correct.
>
> --
> Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
> I hate you, Butler

Neither of those answers is correct. It's North American Free Trade
Agreement.

Kathy

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?
>
> Congo (the one that was Zaire for a while)?

No

>> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
>
> Gary Sinise?

No

>> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
>> programme . . ."
>
> As a way of life?

"More a way of life", yes.

>> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
>> Strachey, E.M. Forster
>
> The ink-something. Inkhorns?

No.

>> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
>> of Brabant?
>
> Netherlands, I hope.

Nope!

>> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
>
> 3?

Nope

>> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
>
> Jesse Owens?

No

>> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
>> India, and the USA?
>
> Russia?

Nope

>> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
>> ceremony?
>
> The host nation.

Nope

Rest correct.

Arkle for President

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

>>> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into
>>> English, is Song of Brabant?
>>
>> Netherlands, I hope.
>
> Nope!

Er, Belgium, then?
--
Mark Brader "Clearly, neither Mark Brader nor
Toronto Steve Summit read the whole book..."

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>
>> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
>
> Ethiopia

Nope

>> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
>
> Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No.

>> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?
>
> Mars

Nope

>> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
>
> two

No

>> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
>
> sitting

Kneeling

>> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?
>
> erg

No

>> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
>> the second most?
>
> Casablanca

Nope

>> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
>
> that guy in Chariots of Fire

Correct. No points, though. :)

>> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
>
> Mikhail Gorbachev

Nope. Although, he might have, of course.

>> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
>
> "Dukedoms"? Not "duchies"?

I think the duchy is more specifically the area controlled by the duke,
and the dukedom is the title. BICBW

Rest correct.

"Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power
to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty."
-- Edward Korry

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> Matthew Newell wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
> >
>Correct!

everybody was waiting for this one keith - less than an hour since first
post and not many/if any unanswered

> >> 59. The British Army used to use the GPMG. What does GPMG stand for?
> >
> > general purpose munitions grenade (total guess)

general purpose-
-masacre gun
-magic gunk
-machine gun

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
>
> Ethiopia

No

>>> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>
> Hundred Years War

No. Shorter. :)

>>> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into
>>> English, is Song of Brabant?
>
> Austria

No

>>> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February
>>> 1959. How was he better known?
>
> Little Richard

No. I think he's still alive, isn't he?

Rest correct.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting,
it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- G K Chesterton

> Mark Brader wrote:
>
> > Keith Willoughby writes:
> >> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971
coup?

> > Congo (the one that was Zaire for a while)?
>
> No
>
> >> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
> >
> > Gary Sinise?
>
> No
>
> >> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so
much a
> >> programme . . ."
> >
> > As a way of life?
>
> "More a way of life", yes.
>
> >> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe,
Lytton
> >> Strachey, E.M. Forster
> >
> > The ink-something. Inkhorns?
>
> No.
>
> >> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English,
is Song
> >> of Brabant?
> >
> > Netherlands, I hope.
>
> Nope!
>
> >> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
> >
> > 3?
>
> Nope
>
> >> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
> >
> > Jesse Owens?
>
> No

was 1924 the "Chariots of Fire" olympics - I'm buggered if it was cos I can
only remember harold abrahams and I thought he was 200 or 400

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> Matthew Newell wrote:
>>
>> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>> >
>>Correct!
>
> everybody was waiting for this one keith - less than an hour since first
> post and not many/if any unanswered

Vultures!

>> > general purpose munitions grenade (total guess)
>

> general purpose-
> -masacre gun
> -magic gunk
> -machine gun

The last one. :)

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:35:14 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
> REM?

No

>> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
>> the second most?
> Quebec?

Right lines, wrong answer. (Quebec's the province. ObTrivia: Which
Canadian province has the most Francophones?)

Rest correct.

"I see him with a small but perfectly formed Watteau"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:35:51 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Barbara Bailey wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:35:14 +0100, Keith Willoughby
>> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?
>> REM?
>
>No
At least I knew it was one of those bands with no name, just letters
:cool:

>>> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
>>> the second most?
>> Quebec?
>
>Right lines, wrong answer. (Quebec's the province. ObTrivia: Which
>Canadian province has the most Francophones?)
I caught that after I hit send. I hate it when I don't read the
question right.

>Rest correct.

Barb

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Netherlands, I hope.
>>
>> Nope!
>
> Er, Belgium, then?

Aye!

Speicherzugriffsfehler

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87d63nvbnh.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Music
> 1. Which band had a number one in 1955 with Why Do Fools Fall In Love?

Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers

> 2. Which song, based on a poem by German soldier Hans Leip, became a hit for
> many singers during and after WWII, including Marlene Dietrich?
> 3. Which singer, who died recently, had hits with I Walk The Line and Folsom
> Prison Blues?

Johnny Cash

> 4. Which band released the album The Joshua Tree in 1987?

U2

> 5. Which band had a hit in 1967 with Pleasant Valley Sunday?

The Monkees

> Coups
> 6. Of which country was Milton Obote overthrown as leader in a 1971 coup?

Uganda?

> 7. In which country did Pervez Musharraf lead a coup in 1999?

Pakistan

> 8. By what German word are coups also called, the Beer Hall example
> being one of the most famous

putsch

> 9. In which country was King Idris overthrown in 1970?
> 10. Edvard Benes was ousted from power in a 1948 coup in which country?
>
> Airports
> 11. Which mayor of New York gave his name to one of the city's airports?

Fiorello La Guardia

> 12. After whom was Liverpool airport renamed in 2001?

John Lennon, I assume

> 13. After which President did Washington DC name one of its airports?

St. Ronnie

> 14. International flights from Cardiff Wales Airport started in 1952. To
> which city?
> 15. Which city does Schipol airport serve?
>
> 17th Century
> 16. Who became King of England in 1603
> 17. Who married John Rolfe in 1613?

Pocahontas

> 18. In 1637, a French mathematician wrote a claim in the margin of a book
> that would not be proven until 1995. Name him.

Fermat

> 19. The Battle of Edghill in 1642 was the first battle of which War?
> 20. The Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 ended which war?
>
> Current Affairs
> 21. What was the name of the hurricane that hit the USA's atlantic coast over
> the weekend?
> 22. How did Sarah Teather make the news last week?
> 23. Which county won cricket's County Championship for the first time last
> week?
> 24. Gavyn Davies has been in the news recently. Of what organisation is he
> chairman?
> 25. Who wrote the book The English Roses, that was release this week?
>
> Film Characters
> 26. What was the name of the character played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard
> Films?
> 27. In which film did Marilyn Monroe play Sugar Kane Kowlaczyk?
> 28. In which film did Robert De Niro play Travis Bickle?

Taxi Driver

> 29. Who played the title role in Saving Private Ryan?
> 30. And who played the title role in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> General Knowledge
> 31. What name was given to those who carried the shield of knights, and later
> became a title for those of the rank between knight and gentleman?
> 32. Complete the title of the BBC satire show of the 60s - "Not so much a
> programme . . ."
> 33. What are Newlands, SCG, WACA, and The Gabba
> 34. Membership of which society group included Virginia Woolfe, Lytton
> Strachey, E.M. Forster
> 35. Into which planet did the probe Galileo plunge on Sunday?

Jupiter

> 36. Which country's national anthem's title, translated into English, is Song
> of Brabant?
> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
> better known?

The Big Bopper

> 38. In which Kenneth Branagh film of a Shakespeare play did Keanu Reeves play
> Don John and Richard Briers play Seigneur Leonato?
> 39. How many children do Tony and Cherie Blair have?
> 40. What disease is prevented by the BCG jab?
> 41. For what would you use a hassock in church?
> 42. What is the standard SI unit of energy?

erg or dyne

> 43. How are Harry Longbaugh and Robert Leroy Parker better known?
> 44. In which country is the Women's World Cup of football going on?

U.S.?

> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
> 46. Who is due to be beatified on the 19th October?
> 47. Paris has the highest number of Francophones in the world. Which city has
> the second most?

Montreal

> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?

North America Free Trade Association

> 49. Who won the gold medal for the men's 100m at the 1924 Olympics?
> 50. Who wrote The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
> 51. Who said, "What is certain is that I am no Marxist"?
> 52. What is the fourth most populated country in the world, after China,
> India, and the USA?
> 53. Of which country is Greenland a dependency?

Denmark

> 54. How did John Hinckley achieve infamy in 1981?

shooting the namesake of the above-mentioned Washington D.C. airport

> 55. What was invented by the Belgian Adolphe Sax?

saxophone

> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
> 57. Homage to Catalonia was George Orwell's account of which event?
> 58. Which nation tradtionally leads the parade at the Olympic opening
> ceremony?

Greece

Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

hitesh wrote:

> The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:
>> 37. JR Richardson died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959. How was he
>> better known?
> Buddy Holly

Nope

>> 45. What are Prince Charles' middle names?
> Philip Arthur Charles

Philip Arthur correct.

>> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?
> North America Free Trade Agreement

Not Agreement.

>> 56. Which of the current English dukedoms was created first?
> Normandy?

No.

Rest correct.

There's a song about Alice

> hitesh wrote:
>
> > North America Free Trade Agreement
>
> Not Agreement.

? Perhaps not in a Welsh pub, but here in the colonies it's the North

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> hitesh wrote:
>>> 48. The USA, Canada, and Mexico belong to NAFTA? What does NAFTA stand for?
>> North America Free Trade Agreement
>
> Not Agreement.

Or, rather, it is agreement. Not sure what I was thinking of there.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on a stamp"