Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
So my system is fairly well off:
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Radeon 9800 128 (built by ati)
512mb ram ddr 400mhz pci3200
*2 256 ddr 266mhz pci2100
Asus A7N8X Deluxe

*Im not to sure if I should mix these two rams I hear it's ok and I hear it's a bad idea to do this so until I figure it out they are staying apart.

Problem: Well, it started out by I guess lagging in counter-strike after I minimized it was frame lag. Then a bit later that day I started gettin' blue screens that said Hardware Malfunction contact your hardware vendor. I did not say what hardware was doing thise however. My system felt MUCH slower then it should have so I reformated. It's not that slow and I havn't ran a game but I just got a radeon driver failure and my system rebooted because of it. It's starting to piss me off and im not all to positive it's the radeon but I think it is. If anyone knows why or whats happening id really apreciate some input being I just bought this card under a month ago.

Thanks in advance, Justin.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Do you have the latest version of DirectX & Catalyst installed?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Check your bios to tell how the temps. are going... fast videocards produce lots of heat... (mix that with AMD :p)

In the end you might have to install additional casefans and do check if your bios manages PnP automaticaly, if so try to reset the addresses. If not, check the auto feature of irq addressing

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
the easiest way to see if it's heat is just open up the side of the case and have a fan blow on it, if that fixes your problems, throw a few fans in, re-seat the fan and try again ^_^

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

endyen

Splendid
Sounds like what happened to me, just before my psu failed.
As far as the ram goes, asus says you can put the 2X 256 pieces in slots 1 and 2 with the 512 piece in slot 3. With this config you ars supposed to have dual channel mode, though the fastest speed would be controlled by the slowest ram. After you get a new psu, give it a try. I would like to know how well it works.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
That's multichannel, 3 RAM modules.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -

IronYuppie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
You need to write down what error messages you are getting, esepically any blue screen errors. If you get any of those you can input them into the MS knowledge base and possibly find out what going wrong. It's impossible for us to know what's going wrong without knowing those codes, stuff about cooling and PSU's is just speculation now.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Are you sure about this endyen? I'm very weary about juggling different brands of RAM, sizes, timings, frequencies, & latencies in the same mobo. That could result in instability issues from what my Dad told me a couple years ago.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!