Pub Quiz - 20031023

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Generals
1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?
3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?
4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
1942?
5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

Geography
6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?
7. In which modern country is Crimea?
8. What is the capital of Bavaria?
9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Music
11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
Window Cleaner Now"?
13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
Rock in the early 60s?
14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
Fire?

Politics
16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
Chancellor of the Exchequer?
19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
1945?

General Knowledge
21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?
26. What is the currency of Monaco?
27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
Villepin in France?
29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
military victories?
32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
consul?
34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
world when it opened in 1981?
35. Who famously painted The Scream?
36. What is the county town of Kent?
37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
based?
49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?
50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
degree in?
51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
she the president?
52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
died yesterday. Name him.
55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?
59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Generals
> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

Stonewall

> 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

Patton

> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
> 1942?

Ike?

> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

Train Engine

> Geography
> 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

Louisiana

> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

Ukraine

> 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

Munich

> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Cuba

> Music
> 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
> Window Cleaner Now"?
> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
> Rock in the early 60s?
> 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
> 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
> Fire?
>
> Politics
> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?

World Middleweight

> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
> 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
> Chancellor of the Exchequer?
> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
> 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
> 1945?
>
> General Knowledge
> 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
> his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

Three?

> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

> 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
> 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

All You Need Is Love

> 26. What is the currency of Monaco?
> 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
> 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
> Villepin in France?
> 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
> 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
> 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
> military victories?

Arc de Triomphe

> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

Hanging Gardens of Babylon
ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?

> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
> consul?
> 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
> world when it opened in 1981?
> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

Edvard Munch

> 36. What is the county town of Kent?

I'd say it's a town

> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
> 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
> 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
> 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
> 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

Quakers

> 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?

2001

> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
> 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
> based?
> 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?
> 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
> degree in?
> 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
> she the president?

Indonesia

> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

Mongolia

> 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
> 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
> died yesterday. Name him.
> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

One

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

Cuts hair

> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?

Pink

> 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

Somebody invaded Afghanistan before they had a chance.

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

Booboo

> 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

Stonewall

> 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

Munich

> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

Denmark?

> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Dominica?

> 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
> Fire?

Lulu

> 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

All you need is love

> 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
> military victories?

Arc de Triomphe?

> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

Hanging gardens of Babylon

> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
> consul?

Caligula

> 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
> world when it opened in 1981?

Humber

> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

Edvard Munch

> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?

Medway?

> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

Quakers

> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

India

> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

Two

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

Barbs :)

> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?

Pink

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

Booboo

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

At this time only a few replies have been posted, so I'm going to post
my answers to the questions I can answer. Google-free as always.

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Generals
> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?

In the U.S.N. it's Admiral, so I'm going to guess Admiral.

> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

"Look at Jackson standing there, like a stone wall." is the sentence
that gave rise to that nickname.

> 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

George S. Patton

> Geography
> 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

Louisiana

> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Cuba?
> Music
> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
> Rock in the early 60s?
Dick Dale

> Politics
>
> General Knowledge
> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
Two

> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
Bush, Johnson, Adams, Roosevelt....D'oh!!!

> 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?

Mother Teresa

> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
Hanging Gardens of Babylon

> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
> consul?
Caligula

> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
Munch

> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
The Louvre

> 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
Penrod
> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
Quakers

> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
Sweden?

> 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his degree in?
String, or nothing.

> 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is she the president?
Indonesia

> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
"Upper" Pradesh... India

> 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
Because he's the only one I know, Teofilo Stevenson (sp?)

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
cuts hair

> 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?
Russian invasion of Afghanistan

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
Boo Boo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Generals
> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

Stonewall

> 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

Patton

> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
> 1942?
> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

steam locomotive

> Geography
> 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

Louisiana

> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

Turkey?

> 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?
> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Cuba

> Music
> 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
> Window Cleaner Now"?
> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
> Rock in the early 60s?

Dick Dale

> 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?

Cinderella Rockafella [It didn't come close to #1 in the states.]

> 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
> Fire?
>
> Politics
> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
> 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
> Chancellor of the Exchequer?
> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
> 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
> 1945?
>
> General Knowledge
> 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
> his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

two?

> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt, Bush

> 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
> 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

All You Need Is Love

> 26. What is the currency of Monaco?
> 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
> 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
> Villepin in France?

Foreign Minister

> 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
> 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
> 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
> military victories?
> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

Hanging gardens of Babylon

> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
> consul?

Caligula

> 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
> world when it opened in 1981?
> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

Munch

> 36. What is the county town of Kent?
> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
> 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
> 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
> 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
> 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

Quakers

> 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
> 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
> based?
> 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

Claude Rains

> 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
> degree in?
> 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
> she the president?
> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

India

> 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
> 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
> died yesterday. Name him.
> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

one, Germany

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
> 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

U.S.S.R.'s invasion of Afghanistan

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

Booboo

> 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
> > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
>
> Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
> ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

--

Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
>
>>> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
>>
>>Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
>>ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?
>

> Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

Grandfather and grandson.

--Jeff

--

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

> Generals
> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in
> the army?

1. Admiral of some sort

> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

2. Stonewall

> 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

3. Patton

> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th
> Army in 1942?

4. Montgomery

> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
>
> Geography
> 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

6. Louisiana

> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

7. Ukraine

> 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

8. Munich

> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

9. Germany

> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

10. Cuba

> Music
> 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean
> Bradfield? 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas
> Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
> Window Cleaner Now"?
> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with
> inventing Surf
> Rock in the early 60s?

13. Dick Dale

> 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in
> 1968? 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one
> hit Relight My
> Fire?
>
> Politics
> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary
> 1957–62,
> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
> 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to
> resign as
> Chancellor of the Exchequer?
> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
> 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that
> began in
> 1945?
>
> General Knowledge
> 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
> Hour, but
> his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

22. Three

> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the
> USA?

23. Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt, Bush

> 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
> 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

25. All You Need Is Love

> 26. What is the currency of Monaco?

26. Euro

> 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
> 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique
> de
> Villepin in France?

Foreign Minister

> 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she
> better known?

29. Mother Teresa of Calcutta

> 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the
> Unknown Warrior? 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in
> 1806 to celebrate his
> military victories?

31. Arc de Triomphe

> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

32. Hanging Gardens of Babylon

> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse,
> Incitatus, a
> consul?

33. Caligula

> 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension
> bridge in the
> world when it opened in 1981?

34. Humber Estuary Bridge

> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

35. Munch

> 36. What is the county town of Kent?
> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on
> which
> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
> 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
> 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
> 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie
> Smith?
> 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?

43. Eamonn de Valera

> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

44. Quakers

> 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
> 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution
> was
> based?

48. Dame Agatha Christie

> 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

49. Claude Rains

> 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did
> Moore get his
> degree in?
> 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which
> country is
> she the president?

51. Indonesia

> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

52. India

> 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and
> 1980?

53. Teofilo Stevenson

> 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was
> Hungarian, and he
> died yesterday. Name him.
> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

55. It depends on whether you consider the border in the Øresund Bridge a
land border. Realisitcally, it's only Germany

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

56. Makes tonsures. :)

> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
> 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what
> event?

58. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
> 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?
>
> Turkey?

No

>> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
>
> two?

Nope

Rest correct

Gogoniant i Gymru, annwyl wlad fy nhadau

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
>> 1942?
>
> Ike?

No

> Hanging Gardens of Babylon
> ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?

Lighthouse of Alexandria?

>> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
>
> 2001

No

>> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
>
> Mongolia

No

Rest of the non-flippant ones correct. :)

". . . it is the job of thinking people, not to be on the side of the
executioners."
- Albert Camus

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?
>
> Lighthouse of Alexandria?

That lasted up until the 14th century (it was destroyed by an
earthquake). The Colossus of Rhodes was also toppled by an
earthquake, but in 226 BC after only about 56 years.

--Jeff

>>> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
>>
>>Mongolia
>
> No

I must have read that too fast.

--

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
>
> a train

No! A locomotive! ;-)

>> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?
>
> one of the remnants of what used to be Yugoslavia

Nope

>> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?
>
> Hispaniola (Haiti and the DR)

Nope

>> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
>
> Pakistan

Nope

>> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
>
> None if you consider the Kiel Canal a border. One (Germany) otherwise.

I thought the Kiel Canal was entirely in Germany.

Rest correct

We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:58:28 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
>> Rock in the early 60s?
> Del Shannon? I don't think that's right, though

No

>> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
> 1?

Nope

>> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
>> consul?
> Claudius

Nope.

>> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
> The big one in Rome?

Nope

>> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
> Yellow?

No. That was Ingrid Bergman's :)

Rest correct.

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Ted S. wrote:

All correct!

Oh. Dog and a beer.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > Which presidential surnames have been middle names of later presidents?
> > I know of two; I don't know if that's all of them.

Keith Willoughby:
> Wilson (Woodrow, Ronald W. Reagan)
> Jefferson (Thomas, William J. Clinton)

Yes, and in fact those are the only two.
--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you

LarryLard wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>
>> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
>
> Denmark?

Nope.

>> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?
>
> Dominica?

Nope

Rest correct.

"George, don't do that"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Generals
> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?

In the U.S. it would be admiral, but in the U.K.?

> 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
> Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

"Stonewall"

> 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

Patton, of course.

> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
> 1942?

I finally know a U.K. history question!
General Montgomery (just prior to the battle at El Alamein (sp?) ).

> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
>
> Geography
> 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

Lousiana

> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

Ukraine

> 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

Munich

> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Cuba

> Music
> 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
> Window Cleaner Now"?
> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
> Rock in the early 60s?
> 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
> 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
> Fire?
>
> Politics
> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951â€"55, Home Secretary 1957â€"62,
> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
> 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
> Chancellor of the Exchequer?
> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
> 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
> 1945?
>
> General Knowledge
> 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
> his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

Harrison -- William Henry, and Benjamin (Grandfather and grandson)
Adams -- John and John Quincy (father and son)
Roosevelt -- Franklin and Theodore (distant cousins)
Bush -- George Sr. and George Jr. (father and son of course)
?
The last ones could not have been related.
Hmmn, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Jackson,
Fillmore, Pierce, Tyler, Harrison, Polk, Lincoln, Johnson!!!!

Johnson -- Andrew and Lyndon.

> 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
> 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?
> 26. What is the currency of Monaco?

The Franc?

> 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
> 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
> Villepin in France?
> 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
> 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
> 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
> military victories?

Beethoven's 3rd symphony was originally dedicated to Napolean but
I didn't think Napolean commissioned it (Beethoven came to regret
the dedication).

> 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
> Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
> consul?

Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?

> 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
> world when it opened in 1981?
> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
> 36. What is the county town of Kent?
> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?

The Louvre?

> 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
> 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
> 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
> 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
> 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
> 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?

Germany?

> 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
> based?

Agatha Christie

> 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

Claude Rains

> 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
> degree in?
> 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
> she the president?
> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
> 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?

Teofilo Stevenson

> 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
> died yesterday. Name him.
> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

One?

> 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
> 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

> 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

Boo-boo.
Does that make me smarter than the average bear? (sorry)

Stewart Houten wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:58:28 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
>
> Denmark?

Nope. Popular answer, though.

>> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
>
> He was a viscount of some sort.

He was.

>> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951?55, Home Secretary 1957?62,
>> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
>
> Macmillan?

No

>> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
>
> Lloyd George?

Nope

>> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
>
> 3?
>
>> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
>
> Nice question.
> (J & JQ) Adams, (G & GW) Bush, (Th & FD) Roosevelt, (A & LB) Johnson & ?

Harrisons Benjamin and William Henry

>> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
>> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
>
> Thames?

Nope

>> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
>
> Tooting Popular Front

Aye. Power to the people!

>> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
>
> India? Pakistan?

The former.

>> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
>
> 3?

No

>> 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?
>
> Jim Leighton?

Nope.

Sign on, you crazy diamond

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

No one's correctly answered this on yet: Germany

> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
question: What country did he come from?

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr.
Wu's a
> Window Cleaner Now"?

I don't think anyone's answered this yet.
George Formby

"Jeffrey Turner" <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in message

> Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
> ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

Were all the Jamses related?

"Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?

To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the lobby
of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
> "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?
>
> To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the
lobby
> of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.

Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.

> "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
> > "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?
> >
> > To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the
> lobby
> > of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.
>
> Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.

Sooner or later, I /will/ get this all straight.

It's /Roy Rogers/ who had /Trigger/ stuffed. The business about the Gene
Autry Hotel was a hallucination.