Pub Quiz - 20031023

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Generals
1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?
3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?
4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
1942?
5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

Geography
6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?
7. In which modern country is Crimea?
8. What is the capital of Bavaria?
9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

Music
11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
Window Cleaner Now"?
13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
Rock in the early 60s?
14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
Fire?

Politics
16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
Chancellor of the Exchequer?
19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
1945?

General Knowledge
21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?
26. What is the currency of Monaco?
27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
Villepin in France?
29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
military victories?
32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
consul?
34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
world when it opened in 1981?
35. Who famously painted The Scream?
36. What is the county town of Kent?
37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
based?
49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?
50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
degree in?
51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
she the president?
52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
died yesterday. Name him.
55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?
59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official."
- Theodore Roosevelt
46 answers Last reply
More about quiz 20031023
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:

    > Generals
    > 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    Stonewall

    > 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

    Patton

    > 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
    > 1942?

    Ike?

    > 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

    Train Engine

    > Geography
    > 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

    Louisiana

    > 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

    Ukraine

    > 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

    Munich

    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    Cuba

    > Music
    > 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
    > 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
    > Window Cleaner Now"?
    > 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
    > Rock in the early 60s?
    > 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
    > 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
    > Fire?
    >
    > Politics
    > 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?

    World Middleweight

    > 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
    > and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
    > 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
    > Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    > 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
    > 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
    > 1945?
    >
    > General Knowledge
    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
    > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    > 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

    Three?

    > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

    Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

    > 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
    > 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

    All You Need Is Love

    > 26. What is the currency of Monaco?
    > 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
    > 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
    > Villepin in France?
    > 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
    > 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
    > 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
    > military victories?

    Arc de Triomphe

    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

    Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?

    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    > consul?
    > 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
    > world when it opened in 1981?
    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

    Edvard Munch

    > 36. What is the county town of Kent?

    I'd say it's a town

    > 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
    > side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
    > 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
    > 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
    > 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
    > 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
    > 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
    > 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

    Quakers

    > 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
    > 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?

    2001

    > 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
    > 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
    > based?
    > 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?
    > 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
    > degree in?
    > 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
    > she the president?

    Indonesia

    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

    Mongolia

    > 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
    > 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
    > died yesterday. Name him.
    > 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

    One

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

    Cuts hair

    > 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?

    Pink

    > 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

    Somebody invaded Afghanistan before they had a chance.

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

    Booboo

    > 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

    --Jeff

    --
    Americans will always do the right thing
    - after they have exhausted every other

    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    Stonewall

    > 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

    Munich

    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

    Denmark?

    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    Dominica?

    > 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
    > Fire?

    Lulu

    > 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

    All you need is love

    > 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
    > military victories?

    Arc de Triomphe?

    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

    Hanging gardens of Babylon

    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    > consul?

    Caligula

    > 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
    > world when it opened in 1981?

    Humber

    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

    Edvard Munch

    > 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
    > side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?

    Medway?

    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

    Quakers

    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

    India

    > 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

    Two

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

    Barbs :)

    > 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?

    Pink

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

    Booboo

    --
    Larry Lard
    Replies to group please

    At this time only a few replies have been posted, so I'm going to post
    my answers to the questions I can answer. Google-free as always.

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > Generals
    > 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?

    In the U.S.N. it's Admiral, so I'm going to guess Admiral.

    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    "Look at Jackson standing there, like a stone wall." is the sentence
    that gave rise to that nickname.

    > 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

    George S. Patton

    > Geography
    > 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

    Louisiana

    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    Cuba?
    > Music
    > 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
    > Rock in the early 60s?
    Dick Dale

    > Politics
    >
    > General Knowledge
    > 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
    Two

    > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
    Bush, Johnson, Adams, Roosevelt....D'oh!!!

    > 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?

    Mother Teresa

    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
    Hanging Gardens of Babylon

    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    > consul?
    Caligula

    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    Munch

    > 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
    The Louvre

    > 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
    Penrod
    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
    Quakers

    > 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
    Sweden?

    > 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his degree in?
    String, or nothing.

    > 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is she the president?
    Indonesia

    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    "Upper" Pradesh... India

    > 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
    Because he's the only one I know, Teofilo Stevenson (sp?)

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
    cuts hair

    > 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?
    Russian invasion of Afghanistan

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
    Boo Boo
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

    > Generals
    > 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    Stonewall

    > 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

    Patton

    > 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
    > 1942?
    > 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?

    steam locomotive

    > Geography
    > 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

    Louisiana

    > 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

    Turkey?

    > 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?
    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    Cuba

    > Music
    > 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
    > 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
    > Window Cleaner Now"?
    > 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
    > Rock in the early 60s?

    Dick Dale

    > 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?

    Cinderella Rockafella [It didn't come close to #1 in the states.]

    > 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
    > Fire?
    >
    > Politics
    > 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
    > 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary 1957–62,
    > and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
    > 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
    > Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    > 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
    > 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
    > 1945?
    >
    > General Knowledge
    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
    > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    > 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

    two?

    > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

    Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt, Bush

    > 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
    > 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

    All You Need Is Love

    > 26. What is the currency of Monaco?
    > 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
    > 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
    > Villepin in France?

    Foreign Minister

    > 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
    > 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
    > 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
    > military victories?
    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

    Hanging gardens of Babylon

    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    > consul?

    Caligula

    > 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
    > world when it opened in 1981?
    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

    Munch

    > 36. What is the county town of Kent?
    > 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
    > side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
    > 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
    > 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
    > 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
    > 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
    > 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
    > 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

    Quakers

    > 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
    > 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
    > 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
    > 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
    > based?
    > 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

    Claude Rains

    > 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
    > degree in?
    > 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
    > she the president?
    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

    India

    > 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?
    > 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
    > died yesterday. Name him.
    > 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

    one, Germany

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
    > 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
    > 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

    U.S.S.R.'s invasion of Afghanistan

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

    Booboo

    > 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
    > > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
    >
    > Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    > ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

    Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Marc Dashevsky wrote:
    > In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
    >
    >>> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
    >>
    >>Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    >>ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?
    >

    > Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

    Grandfather and grandson.

    --Jeff

    --
    Americans will always do the right thing
    - after they have exhausted every other
    possibility. --Winston Churchill

    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
    > In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com
    says...
    > > > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the
    USA?

    > > Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    > > ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?
    >
    > Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

    Grandfather and grandson.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

    > Generals
    > 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in
    > the army?

    1. Admiral of some sort

    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    2. Stonewall

    > 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

    3. Patton

    > 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th
    > Army in 1942?

    4. Montgomery

    > 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
    >
    > Geography
    > 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

    6. Louisiana

    > 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

    7. Ukraine

    > 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

    8. Munich

    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

    9. Germany

    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    10. Cuba

    > Music
    > 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean
    > Bradfield? 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas
    > Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
    > Window Cleaner Now"?
    > 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with
    > inventing Surf
    > Rock in the early 60s?

    13. Dick Dale

    > 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in
    > 1968? 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one
    > hit Relight My
    > Fire?
    >
    > Politics
    > 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
    > 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951–55, Home Secretary
    > 1957–62,
    > and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
    > 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to
    > resign as
    > Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    > 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
    > 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that
    > began in
    > 1945?
    >
    > General Knowledge
    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
    > Hour, but
    > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    > 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?

    22. Three

    > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the
    > USA?

    23. Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt, Bush

    > 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
    > 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?

    25. All You Need Is Love

    > 26. What is the currency of Monaco?

    26. Euro

    > 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
    > 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique
    > de
    > Villepin in France?

    Foreign Minister

    > 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she
    > better known?

    29. Mother Teresa of Calcutta

    > 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the
    > Unknown Warrior? 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in
    > 1806 to celebrate his
    > military victories?

    31. Arc de Triomphe

    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?

    32. Hanging Gardens of Babylon

    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse,
    > Incitatus, a
    > consul?

    33. Caligula

    > 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension
    > bridge in the
    > world when it opened in 1981?

    34. Humber Estuary Bridge

    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

    35. Munch

    > 36. What is the county town of Kent?
    > 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on
    > which
    > side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
    > 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
    > 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
    > 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
    > 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
    > 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie
    > Smith?
    > 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?

    43. Eamonn de Valera

    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?

    44. Quakers

    > 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
    > 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
    > 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
    > 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution
    > was
    > based?

    48. Dame Agatha Christie

    > 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

    49. Claude Rains

    > 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did
    > Moore get his
    > degree in?
    > 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which
    > country is
    > she the president?

    51. Indonesia

    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?

    52. India

    > 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and
    > 1980?

    53. Teofilo Stevenson

    > 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was
    > Hungarian, and he
    > died yesterday. Name him.
    > 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

    55. It depends on whether you consider the border in the Øresund Bridge a
    land border. Realisitcally, it's only Germany

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?

    56. Makes tonsures. :-)

    > 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
    > 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what
    > event?

    58. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?
    > 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?

    --
    Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

    Marc Dashevsky wrote:

    > In article <877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
    >> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?
    >
    > Turkey?

    No

    >> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
    >
    > two?

    Nope

    Rest correct

    Gogoniant i Gymru, annwyl wlad fy nhadau
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Jeffrey Turner wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >> 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
    >> 1942?
    >
    > Ike?

    No

    > Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    > ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?

    Lighthouse of Alexandria?

    >> 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
    >
    > 2001

    No

    >> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    >
    > Mongolia

    No

    Rest of the non-flippant ones correct. :)

    ". . . it is the job of thinking people, not to be on the side of the
    executioners."
    - Albert Camus
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > Jeffrey Turner wrote:
    >>Keith Willoughby wrote:

    >>ObTrivia: Which of those wonders lasted the shortest amount of time?
    >
    > Lighthouse of Alexandria?

    That lasted up until the 14th century (it was destroyed by an
    earthquake). The Colossus of Rhodes was also toppled by an
    earthquake, but in 226 BC after only about 56 years.

    --Jeff

    >>> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    >>
    >>Mongolia
    >
    > No

    I must have read that too fast.

    --
    Americans will always do the right thing
    - after they have exhausted every other
    possibility. --Winston Churchill

    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Steve Grant wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
    >> 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
    >
    > a train

    No! A locomotive! ;-)

    >> 7. In which modern country is Crimea?
    >
    > one of the remnants of what used to be Yugoslavia

    Nope

    >> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?
    >
    > Hispaniola (Haiti and the DR)

    Nope

    >> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    >
    > Pakistan

    Nope

    >> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
    >
    > None if you consider the Kiel Canal a border. One (Germany) otherwise.

    I thought the Kiel Canal was entirely in Germany.

    Rest correct

    We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Barbara Bailey wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:58:28 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >> 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
    >> Rock in the early 60s?
    > Del Shannon? I don't think that's right, though

    No

    >> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
    > 1?

    Nope

    >> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    >> consul?
    > Claudius

    Nope.

    >> 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?
    > The big one in Rome?

    Nope

    >> 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
    > Yellow?

    No. That was Ingrid Bergman's :)

    Rest correct.

    "Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
    messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Ted S. wrote:

    All correct!

    Oh. Dog and a beer.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Mark Brader:
    > > Which presidential surnames have been middle names of later presidents?
    > > I know of two; I don't know if that's all of them.

    Keith Willoughby:
    > Wilson (Woodrow, Ronald W. Reagan)
    > Jefferson (Thomas, William J. Clinton)

    Yes, and in fact those are the only two.
    --
    Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
    Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you

    LarryLard wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    >
    >> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    >
    > Denmark?

    Nope.

    >> 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?
    >
    > Dominica?

    Nope

    Rest correct.

    "George, don't do that"
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > Generals
    > 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?

    In the U.S. it would be admiral, but in the U.K.?

    > 2. What was the nickname of the US Civil War general, Thomas Jonathon
    > Jackson, possibly given to him because of his reluctance to retreat?

    "Stonewall"

    > 3. Which general did George C. Scott play in a 1970 film?

    Patton, of course.

    > 4. Who replaced General Claude Auchinleck as commander of the 8th Army in
    > 1942?

    I finally know a U.K. history question!
    General Montgomery (just prior to the battle at El Alamein (sp?) ).

    > 5. In the Buster Keaton film The General, what was the General?
    >
    > Geography
    > 6. In which US state does the Mississippi meet the ocean?

    Lousiana

    > 7. In which modern country is Crimea?

    Ukraine

    > 8. What is the capital of Bavaria?

    Munich

    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    > 10. Which is the biggest island in the Carribean?

    Cuba

    > Music
    > 11. Which band comprises Sean Moore, Nicky Wire, and James Dean Bradfield?
    > 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr. Wu's a
    > Window Cleaner Now"?
    > 13. Which guitarist, backed by the Deltones, is credited with inventing Surf
    > Rock in the early 60s?
    > 14. Which song was a UK number one for Esther and Abi Ofarim in 1968?
    > 15. Which female singer joined Take That on their number one hit Relight My
    > Fire?
    >
    > Politics
    > 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
    > 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951â€"55, Home Secretary 1957â€"62,
    > and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
    > 18. What faux-pas did Hugh Dalton commit in 1947 that forced him to resign as
    > Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    > 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
    > 20. Whose 1942 report provided the basis of the Welfare State that began in
    > 1945?
    >
    > General Knowledge
    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half Hour, but
    > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    > 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
    > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?

    Harrison -- William Henry, and Benjamin (Grandfather and grandson)
    Adams -- John and John Quincy (father and son)
    Roosevelt -- Franklin and Theodore (distant cousins)
    Bush -- George Sr. and George Jr. (father and son of course)
    ?
    The last ones could not have been related.
    Hmmn, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Jackson,
    Fillmore, Pierce, Tyler, Harrison, Polk, Lincoln, Johnson!!!!

    Johnson -- Andrew and Lyndon.

    > 24. What in 1943 was codenamed Operation Downwood?
    > 25. Which Beatles hit starts with a snippet from La Marseillaise?
    > 26. What is the currency of Monaco?

    The Franc?

    > 27. Which current pop star's name is an anagram of Presbyterians?
    > 28. What position does Joska Fischer hold in Germany, and Dominique de
    > Villepin in France?
    > 29. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was in the news this week. How is she better known?
    > 30. In which building in the UK is the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
    > 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
    > military victories?

    Beethoven's 3rd symphony was originally dedicated to Napolean but
    I didn't think Napolean commissioned it (Beethoven came to regret
    the dedication).

    > 32. Which of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was build by
    > Nebuchadnezzar in roughly 600 BC?
    > 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    > consul?

    Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?

    > 34. Which British bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the
    > world when it opened in 1981?
    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    > 36. What is the county town of Kent?
    > 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
    > side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
    > 38. Which museum is the usual home of the Venus de Milo?

    The Louvre?

    > 39. Which Dickens novel features Betsy Trotwood and Peggoty?
    > 40. Who played Harvey Moon in the original Shine On Harvey Moon?
    > 41. What was Ives's nickname in Porridge?
    > 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
    > 43. Who was leader of the Fianna Fail party from 1926-1959?
    > 44. How are the Religious Society of Friends better known?
    > 45. In which year did ITV begin broadcasting?
    > 46. In which year was the Channel Tunnel officially opened?
    > 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?

    Germany?

    > 48. Who wrote the play on which the film Witness For The Prosecution was
    > based?

    Agatha Christie

    > 49. Who played Captain Louis Renault in Casablanca (1942)?

    Claude Rains

    > 50. Dudley Moore met Peter Cook at Cambridge. Which subject did Moore get his
    > degree in?
    > 51. George Bush met with Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday? Of which country is
    > she the president?
    > 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    > 53. Which Cuban boxer won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976, and 1980?

    Teofilo Stevenson

    > 54. The first boxer to win three Olympics gold medals was Hungarian, and he
    > died yesterday. Name him.
    > 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?

    One?

    > 56. What does a tonsor do for a living?
    > 57. What colour was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?
    > 58. The USA boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics to protest what event?

    The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

    > 59. What was the name of Yogi Bear's sidekick?

    Boo-boo.
    Does that make me smarter than the average bear? (sorry)

    > 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Stewart Houten wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:58:28 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    >
    > Denmark?

    Nope. Popular answer, though.

    >> 16. Which title did Tony Benn renounce to become an MP?
    >
    > He was a viscount of some sort.

    He was.

    >> 17. Who was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1951?55, Home Secretary 1957?62,
    >> and Foreign Secretary 1963-1964?
    >
    > Macmillan?

    No

    >> 19. Who was elected MP for Merthyr Tydfil in 1900?
    >
    > Lloyd George?

    Nope

    >> 22. How many space shuttles remain mission-worthy?
    >
    > 3?
    >
    >> 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
    >
    > Nice question.
    > (J & JQ) Adams, (G & GW) Bush, (Th & FD) Roosevelt, (A & LB) Johnson & ?

    Harrisons Benjamin and William Henry

    >> 37. Kent natives are either Men of Kent or Kentish Men, dependent on which
    >> side of a river they were born. Which is the river in question?
    >
    > Thames?

    Nope

    >> 42. What was the name of the revolutionary group headed by Wolfie Smith?
    >
    > Tooting Popular Front

    Aye. Power to the people!

    >> 52. Uttar Pradesh is a region of which country?
    >
    > India? Pakistan?

    The former.

    >> 55. With how many countries does Denmark share a land border?
    >
    > 3?

    No

    >> 60. Who is Scotland's most capped footballer?
    >
    > Jim Leighton?

    Nope.

    Sign on, you crazy diamond
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:

    > 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?

    No one's correctly answered this on yet: Germany

    > 35. Who famously painted The Scream?

    Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    question: What country did he come from?

    --
    Dan Tilque
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr.
    Wu's a
    > Window Cleaner Now"?

    I don't think anyone's answered this yet.
    George Formby
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Jeffrey Turner" <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in message

    > Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    > ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?

    Were all the Jamses related?
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?

    To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the lobby
    of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.

    "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    > "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?
    >
    > To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the
    lobby
    > of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.

    Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    > > "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?
    > >
    > > To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the
    > lobby
    > > of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.
    >
    > Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.

    Sooner or later, I /will/ get this all straight.

    It's /Roy Rogers/ who had /Trigger/ stuffed. The business about the Gene
    Autry Hotel was a hallucination.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Peter Morris wrote:

    >> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr.
    > Wu's a
    >> Window Cleaner Now"?
    >
    > I don't think anyone's answered this yet.
    > George Formby

    Correct.

    Kill, kill, kill
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Glenn C. Rhoads wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<877jtur3fv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    >> Generals
    >> 1. What is the Royal Navy's equivalent rank to a full general in the army?
    >
    > In the U.S. it would be admiral, but in the U.K.?

    Admiral :)

    >> 26. What is the currency of Monaco?
    >
    > The Franc?

    Not any more :)

    >> 31. What was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1806 to celebrate his
    >> military victories?
    >
    > Beethoven's 3rd symphony was originally dedicated to Napolean but
    > I didn't think Napolean commissioned it (Beethoven came to regret
    > the dedication).

    And it wasn't.

    >> 33. Which Roman emperor, according to legend, made his horse, Incitatus, a
    >> consul?
    >
    > Which american singing cowboy had his horse stuffed?

    I heard he was acquitted on appeal.

    (Roy Rogers?)

    >> 47. In which country was Greta Garbo born?
    >
    > Germany?

    Nope

    Rest correct.

    "And we were singing hymns and arias"
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilque wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >
    >> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    >
    > No one's correctly answered this on yet: Germany

    Correct.

    >> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    >
    > Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    > question: What country did he come from?

    Norway

    Sign on, you crazy diamond
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:

    > Dan Tilque wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >
    >>> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    >>
    >> Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    >> question: What country did he come from?
    >
    > Norway

    Correct

    --
    Dan Tilque
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    : Peter Morris wrote:

    :>> 12. Who had hits with "I Did What I Could With My Gas Mask" and "Mr.
    :>> Wu's a Window Cleaner Now"?

    :> I don't think anyone's answered this yet.
    :> George Formby

    Didn't we just celebrate the 100th anniversary of his birth? Good timing
    for resurrecting this particular pub quiz.

    -----
    Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
    -----
    "French bread makes very good skis"
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<cbluf4$d2m@dispatch.concentric.net>...
    > "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    >> "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Glenn C. Rhoads" <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> To this day you can, if you so desire, see the stuffed Trigger in the
    > lobby
    >>> of the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs, California.
    >>
    >> Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.
    >
    > Sooner or later, I /will/ get this all straight.
    >
    > It's /Roy Rogers/ who had /Trigger/ stuffed.

    Correct!

    > The business about the Gene Autry Hotel was a hallucination.

    This answer was so specific it had me wondering.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:14:44 -0700, "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com>
    wrote:

    >Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >
    >> 9. Of which country is the island of Heligoland a part?
    >
    >No one's correctly answered this on yet: Germany
    >
    >> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    >
    >Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    >question: What country did he come from?

    Norway?
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    > > "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message
    > >> "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message

    > > lobby
    > >>
    > >> Urk :( That's Champion, not Trigger.
    > >
    > > Sooner or later, I /will/ get this all straight.
    > >
    > > It's /Roy Rogers/ who had /Trigger/ stuffed.
    >
    > Correct!
    >

    > > The business about the Gene Autry Hotel was a hallucination.
    >
    > This answer was so specific it had me wondering.

    What's actually in the lobby of the Gene Autry Hotel is a gigantic, ornate
    saddle used by Mr. Autry to ride Champion in the movies. My memory, as it
    is wont to do, played a trick on me.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b4743d373aad4a998999f@netnews.comcast.net>,
    Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote:
    >In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
    >> > 23. Which 5 surnames were used by more than one President of the USA?
    >>
    >> Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    >> ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?
    >
    >Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.

    They were.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Barbara Bailey wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:14:44 -0700, "Dan Tilque"
    > <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Willoughby wrote:
    >>
    >>> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    >>
    >> Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    >> question: What country did he come from?
    >
    > Norway?

    Yup. Another followup question: What event inspired the lurid red
    sky in the painting? Hint: it was the answer in a previous set of
    trivia questions. Also well known for having a direction wrong.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilque wrote:
    > Barbara Bailey wrote:
    >>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:14:44 -0700, "Dan Tilque"
    >><dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote:

    >>>Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    >>>question: What country did he come from?
    >>
    >>Norway?
    >
    > Yup. Another followup question: What event inspired the lurid red
    > sky in the painting? Hint: it was the answer in a previous set of
    > trivia questions. Also well known for having a direction wrong.

    The eruption of Krakatoa. That would have elicited a scream from most
    people.

    --Jeff

    --
    Americans will always do the right thing
    - after they have exhausted every other
    possibility. --Winston Churchill

    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    russotto@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) writes:

    > In article <MPG.1b4743d373aad4a998999f@netnews.comcast.net>,
    > Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote:
    > >In article <10dqtlnh8n53e47@corp.supernews.com>, jturner@localnet.com says...
    > >>
    > >> Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt and Bush
    > >> ObTrivia: Which is the only name shared by two unrelated presidents?
    > >
    > >Certainly Johnson, but I am not aware that the Harrisons were related.
    >
    > They were.

    Benjamin Harrison was William Henry Harrison's grandson.

    --
    Gareth Owen
    Space people read our mail.

    Jeffrey Turner wrote:

    > Dan Tilque wrote:
    >> Barbara Bailey wrote:

    >>> Norway?
    >>
    >> Yup. Another followup question: What event inspired the lurid
    >> red sky in the painting? Hint: it was the answer in a
    >> previous set of trivia questions. Also well known for having
    >> a direction wrong.
    >
    > The eruption of Krakatoa.

    Correct.

    >That would have elicited a scream
    > from most people.

    But that scene in the painting was halfway around the world in
    Christiania.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    :
    : Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    : question: What country did he come from?

    Followup followup question: what museum is famous for its collection
    of artwork by Edvard Munch?

    -----
    Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
    -----
    "Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:17:25 +0000 (UTC), Richard Schultz wrote:
    > In rec.games.trivia Dan Tilque <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote:
    >
    > :> 35. Who famously painted The Scream?
    > :
    > : Several people correctly answered with Edvard Munch. Followup
    > : question: What country did he come from?
    >
    > Followup followup question: what museum is famous for its collection
    > of artwork by Edvard Munch?

    The Munch Museum, Oslo.
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilque wrote:

    > Jeffrey Turner wrote:
    >
    > > Dan Tilque wrote:

    > >> Yup. Another followup question: What event inspired the lurid
    > >> red sky in the painting? Hint: it was the answer in a
    > >> previous set of trivia questions. Also well known for having
    > >> a direction wrong.
    > >
    > > The eruption of Krakatoa.
    >
    > Correct.

    The wrong direction is presumably a reference to the movie title,
    "Krakatoa, East of Java", whereas Krakatoa/Krakatau is actually *west*
    of the island of Java.

    > >That would have elicited a scream
    > > from most people.
    >
    > But that scene in the painting was halfway around the world in
    > Christiania.

    Just seeing the blood-red sunset was enough to terrify Munch. This is
    what Munch wrote in his journal:

    "I was walking along the road with two friends -- then
    the sun set -- all at once the sky became blood red and
    I felt overcome with melancholy. I stood still and leaned
    against the railing, dead tired -- clouds like blood and
    tongues of fire hung above the blue-black fjord and the
    city. My friends went on, and I stood alone, trembling
    with anxiety. I felt a great, unending scream piercing
    through nature."

    According to this article, some astronomers have pinpointed the spot
    where Munch saw the sunset, as he was walking in Christiania (now Oslo)
    on a street called Ljabrochausséen (now Mosseveien):

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1103585,00.html
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Ben Zimmer wrote:
    > Dan Tilque wrote:
    >>Jeffrey Turner wrote:

    >>>The eruption of Krakatoa.
    >>
    >>Correct.
    >
    > The wrong direction is presumably a reference to the movie title,
    > "Krakatoa, East of Java", whereas Krakatoa/Krakatau is actually *west*
    > of the island of Java.
    >
    >>>That would have elicited a scream
    >>>from most people.
    >>
    >>But that scene in the painting was halfway around the world in
    >>Christiania.
    >
    > Just seeing the blood-red sunset was enough to terrify Munch. This is
    > what Munch wrote in his journal:
    >
    > "I was walking along the road with two friends -- then
    > the sun set -- all at once the sky became blood red and
    > I felt overcome with melancholy. I stood still and leaned
    > against the railing, dead tired -- clouds like blood and
    > tongues of fire hung above the blue-black fjord and the
    > city. My friends went on, and I stood alone, trembling
    > with anxiety. I felt a great, unending scream piercing
    > through nature."

    Not surprising. And it wasn't even as big an explosion as the one
    that caused the year without a summer. That one was so serious that
    it caused snow in July in the eastern US and the number of horses
    killed for food might have inspired the development of the bicycle.

    --Jeff

    > According to this article, some astronomers have pinpointed the spot
    > where Munch saw the sunset, as he was walking in Christiania (now Oslo)
    > on a street called Ljabrochausséen (now Mosseveien):
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1103585,00.html
    --
    Americans will always do the right thing
    - after they have exhausted every other
    possibility. --Winston Churchill

    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Ben Zimmer wrote:

    > According to this article, some astronomers have pinpointed
    > the spot where Munch saw the sunset, as he was walking in
    > Christiania (now Oslo) on a street called Ljabrochausséen (now
    > Mosseveien):

    As originally reported in Sky & Telescope. That article is online
    at the S&T website (pdf file). I don't have time to hunt down a
    link for it right now. Perhaps someone else could find it. Or
    later tonight I can.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    ozzz wrote:

    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
    >> Hour, but
    >> his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    >
    > Sandringham ?

    Blimey. This one's a blast from the past.

    No, though.

    "If any question why we died,
    Tell them, because our fathers lied."
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Vince wrote:

    > "ozzz" wrote
    >> 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
    >> > Hour, but
    >> > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    >>
    >> Sandringham ?
    >
    > Balmoral.

    That's the bunny.

    We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
    > Hour, but
    > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?

    Sandringham ?
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "ozzz" wrote
    > 21. Sid James played a character called Sid James in Hancock's Half
    > > Hour, but
    > > his middle name was also the name of a castle. Which one?
    >
    > Sandringham ?

    Balmoral.

    (I've got tons on MP3).

Video Games