HELP! Lost 'Administrator' logon ability and can't find my..

I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately from
the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new 'Carly'
username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to do.
I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm going
to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!
4 answers Last reply
More about help lost administrator logon ability find

    Go to

    and download TweakUI

    Start -> Run -> type in
    c:\windows\system32\TweakUI.exe

    Then on the Logon on the left, make sure that administrator is checked
    "show administrator on welcome screen"

    That should help you out.

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:02 -0800, Carly
    <Carly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately
    > from
    > the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
    > 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new
    > 'Carly'
    > username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to
    > do.
    > I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm
    > going
    > to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!

    when you start the comp on log on screen hold ctrl+alt and press delete
    button twice.

    In your account start>run>control userpasswords2

    Carly wrote:
    > I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately from
    > the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
    > 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new 'Carly'
    > username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to do.
    > I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm going
    > to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!

    As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have
    been created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on
    the Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design,
    the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
    day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
    strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
    regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
    case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
    for your father's daily use, and copy desired the files and settings
    from the Administrator account to this newly created user profile.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Grrrr

    I followed your instructions implicitly but it hasn't worked. I copied the
    documents over but when I open the new users all the programs, documents etc
    haven't copied :(

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Carly wrote:
    > > I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately from
    > > the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
    > > 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new 'Carly'
    > > username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to do.
    > > I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm going
    > > to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!
    >

    > As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have
    > been created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on
    > the Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design,
    > the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    > reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    > the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.
    >
    > The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
    > day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
    > strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
    > regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
    > case something corrupts your regular account(s).
    >
    > A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
    > for your father's daily use, and copy desired the files and settings
    > from the Administrator account to this newly created user profile.
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: