HELP! Lost 'Administrator' logon ability and can't find my..

March 15, 2005 3:09:02 AM

I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately from
the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new 'Carly'
username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to do.
I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm going
to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:59:02 PM

Go to

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

and download TweakUI

Start -> Run -> type in
c:\windows\system32\TweakUI.exe

Then on the Logon on the left, make sure that administrator is checked
"show administrator on welcome screen"

That should help you out.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:02 -0800, Carly
<Carly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately
> from
> the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
> 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new
> 'Carly'
> username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to
> do.
> I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm
> going
> to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:59:03 PM

when you start the comp on log on screen hold ctrl+alt and press delete
button twice.

In your account start>run>control userpasswords2

"Clive" wrote:

> Go to
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> and download TweakUI
>
> Start -> Run -> type in
> c:\windows\system32\TweakUI.exe
>
> Then on the Logon on the left, make sure that administrator is checked
> "show administrator on welcome screen"
>
> That should help you out.
>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:02 -0800, Carly
> <Carly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately
> > from
> > the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
> > 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new
> > 'Carly'
> > username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to
> > do.
> > I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm
> > going
> > to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!

March 15, 2005 10:33:56 PM

Carly wrote:
> I decided to create my own 'User' so i can store my own files separately from
> the rest of the family, and when I started there were two options:
> 'Administrator' - where all the families files are stored and my new 'Carly'
> username. Suddenly the 'Administrator' is gone and i don't know what to do.
> I can't find the files, everything has changed all of a sudden and I'm going
> to be in heaps of trouble if I don't fix it quick!

As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have
been created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on
the Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design,
the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
case something corrupts your regular account(s).

A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
for your father's daily use, and copy desired the files and settings
from the Administrator account to this newly created user profile.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:09:02 AM

Grrrr

I followed your instructions implicitly but it hasn't worked. I copied the
documents over but when I open the new users all the programs, documents etc
haven't copied :(

!