Pub Quiz - 20031204

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Sport
1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the 1998
Commonwealth Games?

Blockbusters
6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer of
the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in the
60s?
8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?

Number Ones
11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo number
one in the UK charts?
12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney number.
Name it.
14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?
15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
1972. With which song?

TV and Film
16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
Richard Chamberlain?
17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?
18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
Atticus Finch?
19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?
20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?

Geography
21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's Brook?
25. In which park is London Zoo?

GK
26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid versions fo
Do They Know It's Christmas?
27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.
28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?
30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought by
which company?
32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61, and is
the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At Me (Cause
I'm A Fool)
34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio show Just A
Minute?
35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?
38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
ourselves"?
39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?
41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
Warner Brothers cartoons?
43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a character
in The Tempest?
44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?
46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
Legion?
47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
was shot down over the USSR in 1960?
48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas Cranmer
between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?
49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in the
top ten?
50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?
51. Ti is the symbol of which element?
52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a test
series?
53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
pronounciation?

"I was an angry young man in need of an icon
and Leonid Brezhnev fell short on several counts"
-- Mark Steel

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

three

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the 1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in the
> 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

The Charge Of The Lost Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
>
> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo number
> one in the UK charts?
> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?
> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
> 1972. With which song?

Amazing Grace (The Pipes and Drums AND THE MILITARY BAND
of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards )

> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
> Richard Chamberlain?

A Town Called Alice

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnnie Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?

To Kill A Mockingbird

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?
> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?

Electric Avenue (Eddy Grant)

> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's Brook?
> 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.

false

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?

Adelaide

> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought by
> which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61, and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At Me (Cause
> I'm A Fool)
> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio show Just A
> Minute?
> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

Kremlin?

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?

Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?
> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?

Elmer Fudd

> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a character
> in The Tempest?
> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?
> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

The name -- U2.

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas Cranmer
> bt xsen 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?
> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?
> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

titanium

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a test
> series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?

Royal Merchant Ship?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
:
: 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

Sixteen.

: 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?

Paul Simon. I hope.

: 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
: Richard Chamberlain?

The Thorn Birds.

: 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood
in Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnny Depp. And sometimes I can't help thinking about how much happier
Winona Ryder would have been if she had chosen to settle down with a
nice Jewish boy. . .

: 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
: Atticus Finch?

To Kill a Mockingbird (is there any permutation of book-actor-role that
you haven't asked yet about this one?)

: 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

: 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
: between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?

Eastenders

: 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?

Canary Wharf

: 25. In which park is London Zoo?

Regent's Park

: 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.

True (he was blinded following a childhood accident -- at least that's
what they told us when I was in elementary school)

: 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?

Perth (just kidding -- it's Adelaide)

: 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

Kremlin

: 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
: ourselves"?

Sinn Fein

: 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
: Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?

John Lennon

: 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?

Berlin

: 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
: Warner Brothers cartoons?

Elmer Fudd. Be vewy, vewy quiet.

: 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a
: character in The Tempest?

Ariel

: 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

Thumper

: 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
: was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

The name "U2"

: 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas Cranmer
: between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?

Archbishop of Canterbury

: 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium

: 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?

White (?)

: 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?

Root mean square

: 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
: pronounciation?

Idaho is the only one that comes to mind that starts with a pronoun that
is both spelled and pronounced as such (the pronunciation of Utah starts
with something that *sounds* like a pronoun, though).

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

three

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the
1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer
of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in
the
> 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

The Charge of the Light Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?

Pet Shop Boys

> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
>
> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo
number
> one in the UK charts?
> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney
number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
Garfunkel?
> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number
one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries
starring
> Richard Chamberlain?

The Thorn Birds

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed
Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnny Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?

To Kill a Mockingbird

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in
1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry
sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's
Brook?
> 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid
versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself
blind.
> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?
> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought
by
> which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61,
and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At Me
(Cause
> I'm A Fool)
> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio show
Just A
> Minute?
> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

Kremlin

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?

Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His
Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?

John Lennon

> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?

Berlin

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in
many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?
> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a
character
> in The Tempest?

Ariel

> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

Thumper

> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying
when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

U2

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas
Cranmer
> between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?
> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in
the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?
> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a
test
> series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Sport
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

eight

> Blockbusters
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

Into the valley of death and all that, pip pip!

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?

Bankrolled by Richard Gere, the Pet Shop Boys

> Number Ones

> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?

Knowing the British, Garfunkel

> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
> Richard Chamberlain?

The Thorn Birds

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnnie Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?

To Kill a Mockingbird "I'm not saying she's wrong... I'm saying she's
mistaken in her mind"

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

> Geography

> 25. In which park is London Zoo?

Hyde is the only one I know the name of

> GK
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.

false

> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?

Adelaide

> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?

Too many

> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

Kremlin

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?

There's more than one? Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?

John Lennon

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?

No

> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?

Elmew Fudd

> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?

Bagpipes

> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

Thumper
> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?

False

> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

U2

> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium, atomic number 22

> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?

Royal Marine Ship

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May
> 2000?

1. Redgrave (the rower)

> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league
> titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of
> billiards?

3. Three

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?

4. Germany

> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales
> at the 1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European
> Footballer of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European
> Cups in the 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

8.The Charge of the Light Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?

9. Pet Shop Boys

> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?

10. Anne of Green Gables

> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a
> solo number one in the UK charts?

11. Cher (with "Believe")

> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney
> number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
> Garfunkel? 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
> had a number one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries
> starring
> Richard Chamberlain?

16. The Thorn Birds.

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands,
> Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

17. Johnny Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck
> as Atticus Finch?

18. To Kill a Mockingbird

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in
> 1981?

19. Raiders of the Lost Ark

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea
> ferry sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?

23. Electric Avenue

> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's
> Brook? 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid
> versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?

26. They did two versions? I'll guess Bananarama

> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself
> blind.

27. True

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours
> set? 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William
> IV? 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help
> develop? 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel
> case brought by
> which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD
> 61, and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At
> Me (Cause
> I'm A Fool)
> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio
> show Just A
> Minute?

34. Chopin's "Minute" Waltz

> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

37. Kreml. There's no word "Kremlin" in Russian. :)

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as
> "We ourselves"?

38. Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In
> His Own Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?

40. Berlin

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in
> many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?

42. Elmer Fudd

> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a
> character
> in The Tempest?
> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

45. Thumper

> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French
> Foreign
> Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying
> when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

47. U2

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170,
> Thomas Cranmer
> between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?

48. Archbishop of Canterbury

> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women
> were in the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty
> Ash?
> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

51. Titanium

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing
> a test
> series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?

53. Hmmm. In the US, the characters are Col. Mustard, Mr. Green, Prof.
Plum, Mrs. White, Miss Scarlett, and Mrs. Peacock. I'll guess Mr. Green
is the reverend.

> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?

55. Hawai'i?

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

I believe three.

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the 1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in the
> 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
>
> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo number
> one in the UK charts?
> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?

I can think of only one Art Garfunkel solo hit ("All I Know"),
so the obvious guess is Paul Simon.
Maybe this is trick question and Paul Simon never hit number one
in the British charts and Art Garfunkel did with "All I Know."
Of course maybe you thought I would think like that and go with
the obvious answer. Maybe you would think that I would think that
you would think that ... I'm making this too hard.
I will just go with my original thought of Paul Simon and hope I
didn't just fall into a trap.

> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
> Richard Chamberlain?

The Thornbirds?

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?
> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?

To Kill a Mockingbird.

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's Brook?
> 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.

False (I hope).

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?
> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought by
> which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61, and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At Me (Cause
> I'm A Fool)
> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio show Just A
> Minute?
> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?
> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?
> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?

Jose Feliciano?

> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?
> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?

Elmer Fudd!

> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a character
> in The Tempest?
> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

Thumper

> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?

False.

> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

U2

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas Cranmer
> between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?
> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?
> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium?

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a test
> series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?

Hawaii?

I stink at UK trivia. :)

--
I understand the true meaning of diversity.
If I attack traditional values, it's "free speech."

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
>
> The Charge Of The Lost Brigade

Close :)

>> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
>> 1972. With which song?
>
> Amazing Grace (The Pipes and Drums AND THE MILITARY BAND
> of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards )

So the question is correct. You're just adding extra info ;-)

>> TV and Film
>> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
>> Richard Chamberlain?
>
> A Town Called Alice

No

>> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.
>
> false

No

>> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
>
> Royal Merchant Ship?

Nope

Rest correct

M. Khan Is Bent

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87vfhdma3o.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>
> > In article <87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> >> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
> >
> > The Charge Of The Lost Brigade
>
> Close :)

You're supposed to be responding to these so quickly that
you'll miss these little deviations. Isn't "lost" more
apt than "light?"

> >> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
> >> 1972. With which song?
> >
> > Amazing Grace (The Pipes and Drums AND THE MILITARY BAND
> > of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards )
>
> So the question is correct. You're just adding extra info ;-)

Just like I added extra info that Eddy Grant does not spell
his name Eddie.

Thanks, Keith, for posting these quizzes.

--

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> :
> : 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
>
> Sixteen.

Nope.

> : 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?
>
> Paul Simon. I hope.

Nope. Art wins 2-0.

> : 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
> : between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Eastenders

No

> : 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
>
> White (?)

No

> : 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
>
> Root mean square

> : 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> : pronounciation?
>
> Idaho is the only one that comes to mind that starts with a pronoun that
> is both spelled and pronounced as such (the pronunciation of Utah starts
> with something that *sounds* like a pronoun, though).

Very droll.

But on the other side, It didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me.

: Richard Schultz wrote:
:> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> : 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

:> Sixteen.
:
: Nope.

I forgot that what the British call "billiards" is not the same game
as what the Americans call "billiards." For the latter, there are most
certainly 16 balls (15 numbered balls + the cue ball). I assume (not having
yet seen any other answer sets) that the answer you were looking for
is "three."

:> : 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
:> : Garfunkel?

:> Paul Simon. I hope.

: Nope. Art wins 2-0.

And they say that *Americans* have no taste. . .

:> : 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry
:> : sailing between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?

:> Eastenders

: No

Then it must be "The Vicar of Dibley."

:> : 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
:> : pronounciation?
:>
:> Idaho is the only one that comes to mind that starts with a pronoun that
:> is both spelled and pronounced as such (the pronunciation of Utah starts
:> with something that *sounds* like a pronoun, though).
:
: Very droll.

I'm glad you think so.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
". . .in short, his post became untenable; and having swallowed his
quantum of tea, he judged it expedient to evacuate."
Charlotte Bronte, _Shirley_

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?

Seb Coe

> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?

Barry Town

3

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?

Germany

> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the
1998
> Commonwealth Games?

Badminton

> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer
of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in
the
> 60s?

Alfredo Di Stefano

> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

The Charge of the Light Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?

Pet Shop Boys

> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?

Anne of Green Gables

> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo
number
> one in the UK charts?

Cher

> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?

Martine McCutcheon

> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney
number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
Garfunkel?
> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number
one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries
starring
> Richard Chamberlain?
> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed
Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnny Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?
> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in
1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry
sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?

Triangle

> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?

Canary Wharf

> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?

Severn

> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's
Brook?

Aintree

> 25. In which park is London Zoo?

Regents Park

> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid
versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself
blind.

True

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?

Erinsborough

> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?

Adelaide

> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought
by
> which company?

McDonalds

> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61,
and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?

Boudicea

5

> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?
> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?

Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His
Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?

Berlin

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in
many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?
> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a
character
> in The Tempest?

Ariel

> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?

Bagpipes

> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?
> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying
when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?
> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas
Cranmer
> between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?

Archbishop of Canterbury

> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in
the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?

Livepool

> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a
test
> series?

England :) Although in December I suppose it would have been the West
Indies

> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?

Green

> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?

Arkansas

Peter Smyth

Ted S. wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
>

>> Sport
>> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May
>> 2000?
>
> 1. Redgrave (the rower)

Nope. Sir Steve is merely a Knight.

>> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid
>> versions fo
>> Do They Know It's Christmas?
>
> 26. They did two versions?

Stock/Aitken/Waterman did a version in 88 or 89.

> I'll guess Bananarama

Good guess! Correct.

>> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio
>> show Just A
>> Minute?
>
> 34. Chopin's "Minute" Waltz

Yup. I love that question. It rewards lateral thinking.

>> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?
>
> 37. Kreml. There's no word "Kremlin" in Russian. :)

Bleh

>> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
>
> 53. Hmmm. In the US, the characters are Col. Mustard, Mr. Green, Prof.
> Plum, Mrs. White, Miss Scarlett, and Mrs. Peacock. I'll guess Mr. Green
> is the reverend.

Correct.

>> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
>> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
>> pronounciation?
>
> 55. Hawai'i?

Nope.

"Do you want it pasteurised, 'cause pasteurised is best??"
"Ernie, I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest"

Peter Smyth wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a
> test
>> series?
> England :) Although in December I suppose it would have been the West
> Indies

Nope

Rest correct!

"And we were singing hymns and arias"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <cbmjun$33q$1@news.iucc.ac.il>, schultr@mail.biu.ack.il says...
> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> : Richard Schultz wrote:
> :> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :> : 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
>
> :> Sixteen.
> :
> : Nope.
>
> I forgot that what the British call "billiards" is not the same game
> as what the Americans call "billiards."

I'm American and have been familiar with billiards since
I was a child. Perhaps you are thinking of pocket billiards,
which as far as I know, is synonymous with pool.

--

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87vfhdma3o.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>>
>> > In article <87zn6pmcqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> >
>> > The Charge Of The Lost Brigade
>>
>> Close :)
>
> You're supposed to be responding to these so quickly that
> you'll miss these little deviations.

I did a comedy double take, I admit.

> Isn't "lost" more apt than "light?"

Both is better.

>> > Amazing Grace (The Pipes and Drums AND THE MILITARY BAND
>> > of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards )
>>
>> So the question is correct. You're just adding extra info ;-)
>
> Just like I added extra info that Eddy Grant does not spell
> his name Eddie.

I chose to gracefully and silently accept that correction. I needed the
practice.

> Thanks, Keith, for posting these quizzes.

Cheers!

"Anger is no substitute
For diciplined rebellion"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Steve Grant wrote:

All correct!

"For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong."
- HL Mencken

vinCe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" wrote
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> >> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself
blind.

> > false

So what is the answer then?

Vince wrote:

> blind.
>> >
>> > false
>
> So what is the answer then?

Guess.

Twll Dyn Pob Saes

In rec.games.trivia Marc Dashevsky <usenet@marcdashevsky.com> wrote:
: In article <cbmjun$33q$1@news.iucc.ac.il>, schultr@mail.biu.ack.il says...

:> I forgot that what the British call "billiards" is not the same game
:> as what the Americans call "billiards."
:
: I'm American and have been familiar with billiards since
: I was a child. Perhaps you are thinking of pocket billiards,
: which as far as I know, is synonymous with pool.

All I know is that it's Trouble with a capital "T."

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?"

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> : Richard Schultz wrote:
> :> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :> : 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
>
> :> Sixteen.
> :
> : Nope.
>
> I forgot that what the British call "billiards" is not the same game
> as what the Americans call "billiards." For the latter, there are most
> certainly 16 balls (15 numbered balls + the cue ball). I assume (not having
> yet seen any other answer sets) that the answer you were looking for
> is "three."

Aye.

I took the bus from Balmbras
And she was heavy laden

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:01:04 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
15 plus the cue ball?

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the 1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in the
> 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
The Charge of the Light Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
Pet Shop Boys

> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
Anne of Green Gables

> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo number
> one in the UK charts?
Hmmm. Tina Turner?

> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?
Paul Simon?

> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
> Richard Chamberlain?
The Thorn Birds

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?
> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?
To Kill a Mockingbird

> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?
Raiders of the Lost Ark

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's Brook?
> 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.
False

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?
Adelaide?

> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case brought by
> which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD 61, and is
> the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?
Boudicca/Bodiacea/pick your spelling

> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At Me (Cause
> I'm A Fool)
> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio show Just A
> Minute?
> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?
> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?
Kremlin

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as "We
> ourselves"?
Sinn Fein?

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In His Own
> Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?
Berlin?

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny in many
> Warner Brothers cartoons?
Elmer Fudd

> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a character
> in The Tempest?
Caliban?

> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?
A set of bagpipes

> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?
Thumper

> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French Foreign
> Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was flying when he
> was shot down over the USSR in 1960?
The name U2

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170, Thomas Cranmer
> between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between 1928 and 1942?
Archbishop of Canterbury

> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women were in the
> top ten?
> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty Ash?
> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?
Tin? Titanium? I'll say ...tin

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing a test
> series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?
> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?
Ha-wa-i-<small pause>i

Barb

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May 2000?
> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?
> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?
> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at the 1998
> Commonwealth Games?
>
> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European Footballer of
> the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to 5 European Cups in the
> 60s?
> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?
> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
>
> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a solo number
> one in the UK charts?
> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary Clooney number.
> Name it.
> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel?
> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a number one in
> 1972. With which song?
>
> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries starring
> Richard Chamberlain?
> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood in
> Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?
> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory Peck as
> Atticus Finch?
> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in 1981?
> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry sailing
> between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?
>
> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's Brook?
> 25. In which park is London Zoo?
>
> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid versions fo
> Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself blind.
> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?
> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?
> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
Was he the guy who designed the amphibious landing craft? The jobbers
with the drop-front ramp?

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Sport
> 1. Which Olympic gold medal winner was made a life peer in May
> 2000?

Coe

> 2. Which team has won 7 of 11 Football League of Wales league
> titles?
> 3. How many balls are used for a standard game of billiards?

3

> 4. In which country is the 2006 Football World cup to be held?

Germany

> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at
> the 1998 Commonwealth Games?

Swimming

> Blockbusters
> 6. Which PCP is a National Trail in Wales?
> 7. Which ADS is an Argentinian footballer, who was European
> Footballer of the Year in 1957 and 1959, and led Real Madrid to
> 5 European Cups in the 60s?

Alfredo di Stefano

> 8. which TCOTLB is a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

The Charge of the Light Brigade

> 9. Which PSB had hits in the 80s with Suburbia and West End Girls?
> 10. Whch AOGG was a novel by LM Montgomery?
>
> Number Ones
> 11. Which 52 year old became, in 1998, the oldest woman to have a
> solo number one in the UK charts?

> 12. Which soap star had a number one in 1999 with Perfect Moment?
> 13. Shaking Stevens had a hit in March 1981 with an Rosemary
> Clooney number. Name it.

Green door

> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
> Garfunkel?

Art - Bright eyes?

> 15. The Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had a
> number one in 1972. With which song?

Amazing Grace

> TV and Film
> 16. Which book by Colleen McCullough was made into a tv miniseries
> starring Richard Chamberlain?

The thornbirds

> 17. Which actor played Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands,
> Ed Wood in Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco?

Johnny Depp

> 18. Which film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, starred Gregory
> Peck as Atticus Finch?
> 19. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film, released in
> 1981?

Raiders?

> 20. What was the name of the BBC TV series set on a North Sea ferry
> sailing between Gothenberg, Amsterdam, and Felixtowe?

Triangle

> Geography
> 21. How is One Canada Square in London better known?
> 22. Under which river is the UK's longest mainline railway tunnel?
> 23. Which street in Brixton did Eddie Grant write a song about?
> 24. Where would you find Canal Turn, Melling Road, and Valentine's
> Brook?

Aintree

> 25. In which park is London Zoo?

Regents Park

> GK
> 26. Which girl-band were the only ones to appear on both Band Aid
> versions fo Do They Know It's Christmas?
> 27. True or false: Louis Braille, inventor of Braille, was himself
> blind.

True

> 28. In which fictional borough of Melbourne is Neighbours set?

Erinsborough

> 29. Which Australian city was named after the wife of William IV?

Adelaide

> 30. Which mode of transport did Kirkpatrick McMillan help develop?
> 31. The longest civil trial in UK legal history was a libel case
> brought by which company?
> 32. Who led the Iceni tribe in revolution againt the Romans in AD
> 61, and is the subject of a statue on Westminster Pier?

Budicca

> 33. Which actor and comedian had a hit in 1954 with Don't Laugh At
> Me (Cause I'm A Fool)

Norman Wisdom

> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio
> show Just A Minute?

Waltz in Db major - Opus 64

> 35. How many Labour prime ministers have there been?
> 36. Who or what was known as The Swan of Avon?

Shakespeare

> 37. What well-known Russian word means 'citadel'?

Kremlin

> 38. Which Irish political party's name translates into English as
> "We ourselves"?

Sinn Fein

> 39. Which 60s and 70s musician and songwriter wrote the books "In
> His Own Write" and "A Spaniard In the Works"?
> 40. Tempelhof airport serves which European capital?

Berlin

> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?

Yes

> 42. What was the name of the hunter who tried to catch Bugs Bunny
> in many Warner Brothers cartoons?

Elmer Fudd

> 43. What word is a brand of washing powder, a moon of Uranus, and a
> character in The Tempest?

Ariel

> 44. On which musical instrument would you find a chanter?

Bagpipes

> 45. What is the name of the rabbit in the film, Bambi?

Thumper

> 46. True or false, songwriter Cole Porter served in the French
> Foreign Legion?
> 47. What links a rock band and the plane that Gary Powers was
> flying when he was shot down over the USSR in 1960?

U2

> 48. What post was held by Thomas Becket between 1162 and 1170,
> Thomas Cranmer between 1533 and 1556, and Cosmo Lang between
> 1928 and 1942?

Archbishop of Canterbury

> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women
> were in the top ten?

None?

> 50. In which city would you find the areas of Toxteth and Knotty
> Ash?

Liverpool

> 51. Ti is the symbol of which element?

Titanium?

> 52. In which country are the England cricket team currently playing
> a test series?
> 53. What colour is the reverend in the board-game Cluedo?

Green

> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?

Royal Merchant Ship

> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
> pronounciation?

Arkansas
--
Ray

mUs1Ka wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 5. In which sport did Kelly Morgan win a gold medal for wales at
>> the 1998 Commonwealth Games?
>
> Swimming

Nope

>> 14. Who had the most British solo number ones, Paul Simon or Art
>> Garfunkel?
>
> Art - Bright eyes?

Correct - and one other. I forget what it was called.

>> 34. Which piece of classical music is the theme tune to the radio
>> show Just A Minute?
>
> Waltz in Db major - Opus 64

I'll take your word for it :)

>> 41. Were the Walker Brothers actual brothers?
>
> Yes

Nope

>> 49. In the BBC Greatest Britons of All Time list, how many women
>> were in the top ten?
>
> None?

Nope

>> 54. The Titanic was the RMS Titanic. What did RMS stand for?
>
> Royal Merchant Ship

Nope

>> 55. Which is the only one of the US state names to have an official
>> pronounciation?
>
> Arkansas

Yup!

Rest correct.

"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going"