Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
this might look long but it ant so please read it and give me much needed advice

Im buying a new graphics card for my new computer whihc is a
ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with a P4 2.4C
512 of 400mhz ram
WD 80 gig 8mb cache
mm thats all thats important
my current card is a GF3 TI 200 128mb
time to upgrade!! no doubt bout that
only 1 problem nvidia atm is [-peep-] up
5200 ultra= sux
5600 Ultra= sux
4600 = good card but not dx9
4800 = pfft not as good as 4600
5800 = too expensive for me
5900 = dont even ask $$$$$$$$$$$

To this day i have not used anything but NVIDIA products
i have never used a radeon card before so im very very newbish with them and i would love to have some true things pointed out to me... i dont want any comments on just supporting there card by stubborn ppl who support there card even if it has problems i want true good facts and true bad facts

Im lookin at the 9700 non pro
and the 9800 SE
which perfroms better? and are they stable (stability is extremely important to me i want somethign as stable as my gf3) and any compatabibilty problmes.. ive heard alot of problems with rade on cards so plz help me here
benchmarks of the 9800 non pro (which i think is SE) VS the 9700 would be great
we woudl expect the 9800 to be betetr but from memory i read up somewher that the 9500 is better than the 9600 so who knows coudl be the same thing here.

also was SE stand for?

another thing is i MUST have tv out as i use this alot
Now because i have never used ATI cards before i got lotas of questions about the tv out.
Whats the maximum resolution?
my gf3 does 1024X768
does 9700 non pro and 9800 non pro do this? Also does it do clone view as so its viewed on tv and on monitor and does it have that nice tool on gf4 cards that u can make a movie play on the tv through tv out and still work on the computer.
any iother cool features with the 9700 and 9800 then plz let me know:D and basically does the tv out wif rade on adn these cards work well.. i use tv out every night so its extremely important

1 more thing wat brand shall i get if i get a rade on i usually get leadtek or asus with Nvidia but things change.. ppl change... bye bye nvidia ive very disspaointed they coudl not make a card inbetween the 5800 and 5600
such a huge jump in performance and price the 5600 should be more powerful to 9700 standard in my opinion
guys just to tell i appreciate all the help thanx guys very much

Charlie

<font color=blue>this might look long but it ant</font color=blue>
Actually it <b>IS</b>. But that's ok. Just ask anyone about my posts.

<font color=blue> Im lookin at the 9700 non pro
and the 9800 SE</font color=blue>

Go with the R9700non-pro, it will outperform the R9800SE.
The R9800SE is like and R9500/R9600. It's a very crippled card made to compete in a budget/OEM market.

All of them are just as stable as any other card from ATI/nV.

The only compatibility problems to worry about is to make sure your clean your system of all the old nV drivers (they are hard to remove). Use a few utilities like Detonator R.I.P. which you can get from <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/" target="_new">theGURUof3D</A>, and that should do the trick.

Yes it handles TV out, and you can run seperate or mirrored images. Issues with playback are macrovision and software dominated/determined. But it should be ok.

<font color=blue>my gf3 does 1024X768
does 9700 non pro and 9800 non pro do this?</font color=blue>

No, this is far too high a resolution for those cards. Your GF3 ROX. You should get a Matrox, the only one able to handle that kind of demanding requirements. Jeez!

As for which card to buy, read the buyers guide Faq it will give you good suggestions. Shoulda stopped there first IMO.
ATI, Gigabyte, Hercules, Visiontek, Creative, and TYAN are all good makers. Sapphire is OK. Stay away from Gigacube and Powercolor.

<font color=blue>i have never used a radeon card before so im very very newbish with them and i would love to have some true things pointed out to me... i dont want any comments on just supporting there card by stubborn ppl who support there card even if it has problems i want true good facts and true bad facts</font color=blue>

For a nOOb you're pretty demanding. Here's my suggestion get an Intel Extreme integrated graphics chip and then you can be sure there are no problems due to the chip, it's the stupid game programers, since that's the #1 chip in the world. But you'll probably find SOMETHING wrong with it (maybe perforamnce) and come back complaining that we were stubbournly supporting our favorite.
Seriously don't bitch about the help people give you even before you get it. Talk about ungrateful, OIE!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Get the radeon 9700. ATI cards are more stable than NVIDA cards from the getgo. You can get very sweet res with it, just your monitor limits it. However I dunnot know if there is a allinwonder 9700 nonpro, may have to get the pro version. The additional 50 bucks for it is well worth it too plus you can give it a good oc if needed. You dont wanna touch those FX cards for they got DX9 issues and they are noisy, mainly pertaining the 5800-5900 series. If you go for OEM card, just dont get the saphire versio for they utterly suck on the nonpro.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i wonder why everyone seems to be dissing sapphire, concidering it makes 90% of BBATi cards, i have a 9800 np from sapphire, flashed the bios to 9800 pro and never looked back ^_^

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Nobody disses Sapphire. As of nowSapphire is a current favore of THGC for "powered by ATi" boards.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

The thing is the BEST of the Sapphire products become ATI boards, and the rest are usually Sapphire boards, but without the NICE ATI warranty. Sapphire makes NICE cards, but unless it's their FireBlade or UE edition then it's the left-overs IMO. I've seen alot of people get the Atlantises that were very dissapointed because they had cheaper memory on them.

They're still 'good' cards, just not the same level as Hercules, Gigabyte, etc. And unfortunately not all Sapphire's are the same. But they ARE nice boards. BTW, Visiontek is ALSO going to be making some of the BBA boards.

The reason people diss them is usually some sort of bad experience or the number of mediocre reviews. I've seen ALOT of complaints about the Atlantis version of the R9600P. Most didn't know that only the Fireblade is guaranteed to have the same parts as the BBA (and the Fireblade comes overclocked right out of the box).

Anywhoo, its just personal preference in the lng run. Due to my VOCAL dislike of Powercolor & GigaCube, I've received alot of feed-back from people about their positive experiences. The things is not all cards are the same, just be more cautious with certain makers.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
thanx for the info mate
and yes i am demanidng but also i am a very experienced user with nvidia just a noobie with ati
and i do appreciate your thouhts thankyou. what i meant was i hate the ppl who see proof of things that suck for example 9600 but those ppl who still own it keep saying na man they rock. that is what i was talking bout but i knwo 9700 r good ive seen benchmarks
ive looked around for 9700.. there quite rare now. hows the 9600 pro? do they out perform 9700 and they as stable?.
i had a look on ati site 9700 pro supports 1024X768 resolution for tv out could the 9700 non pro support this too?

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
hey thanx fro teh info but i wasnt tlkain bout monitor resolution i was talkin about tv out resolution
does any1 have a 9700 non pro that can test it for me and just tell me wat resolution the tv out does showing the full screen
thanx

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
The 9700 will outperform the 9600 Pro by a very wide margin. But if you can't afford a 9700, then the 9600 Pro will well be worth your money if you can get it about $150 or less.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
mmm its gonan be hard to find a 9700..
there discontinued
wierd 9600 not discontinued but 9700 is
any1 know y?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Horze on 09/02/03 02:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SE stands for Stipped Edition.

When Saphire released the 9500 non-pro, it came with 4 pipelines and a 256-bit memory bus. The 9800SE has 4-pipelines and a 256-bit memory bus. The 9800 chip is the 9700 chip with a few minor revisions to reduce heat. So basically the 9800SE is a 9500 non-pro with a higher clock speed and newer BIOS.

The 9700 non-pro is much more powerfull, with all 8 pipelines enabled.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
i see
thats great
only problem now is i gotta find one
crashman do u know what the highest tv out resolution is for the 9700 non pro

thx
charlie

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny thing about TV, they have at most something like 512 lines, so using high resolutions only makes the blurriness worse. It should display an 800x600 sized screen on that lower resolution tube, but you'll still need to resort to tricks in order to read small text (like custom fonts, etc).

Of course you could go with HDTV and get a true 720x480 resolution (720i) or with a really good HDTV perhaps 1920x1040 (1040i). If I got those resolutions off a little, I'm sure someone will make a big deal of correcting me!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I thought all of the 9500 cards technically had 8 pipes, but the reason why they are labeled as "4 pipes" is because the extra 4 pipe we left untested by the FABs and only 4 of them tested as an excuse to sell the card for cheap, and the ATi drivers were just written to ignore the last 4 pipes. Otherwise attempting softmods wouldn't even be remotely possible if the transitors that compose the remaining 4 pipes were not there. Those pipes have to come from somewhere on the chip & can't just pop-up abracadabra out of the thin aire with a software modification. Aren't the softmod drivers just modifications of ATi's original drivers just written to recognize the remaining 4 pipes?

Wel you knew it was coming... :evil:
Crash, you're slipping dude. 'Must be the SHOES' -MARS :tongue:

720x480 resolution (720i) or with a really good HDTV perhaps 1920x1040 (1040i)
It's funny in the second part you got the res. right (second number is the rating), and in the first you swapped them. 720x480 (actuall it's 704x480), is still 480i, although 640x480 is the more common res. However 1280x720 (baselines is 750+X? lines) is 720i. Although I've seen more 720p ou there (depends on transmission methods). FYI baselines fo 1080i is 1125+X? lines.

BTW, NTSC 480i carries 525+1+1 lines (extra lines are for info and error correction thet are not displayed.)

There we go correction made, no big deal; especially since I know you know your $heet from our other discussions in the TV/Video forum. :wink:

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
hmm i dunno wat to buy
wat u guys recommend i dont wanan spend too much
around 200 bucks which is how much a 5600 ultra cost i think

wat card shoudl i get?
also wats bba?