PubQuiz [2004/05/11] -- A woman from Norway, a guy from Ke..

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

May 11, 2004

1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
From Atlantis?
3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
island did he die?
5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
Monkees?
6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
11. What is the square root of a gross?
12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
bells of which church? Full name.
13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
scale?
14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
equivalent?
15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
16. What name is given to a male swan?
17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?
19. What is the most sacred river in India?
20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
End?
22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
of Monaco?
23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
which English football club?
25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
[exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)

--Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"

26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
described as Florentine or Florentina?
27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
Bucco?
28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
intrusive newspaper photographer?

--
Gareth Owen
Space people read our mail.

    Gareth Owen writes:
    > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"

    These British quizzes -- another famous personality that I've never
    heard of. Richard Whiteley.

    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?

    Joule.

    > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?

    St. Helena.

    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?
    > 6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?

    Paraguay.

    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?

    Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?

    Head.

    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?

    Dozen.

    > 12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.

    St. Mary-le-Bow?

    > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?

    Whole gale.

    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?

    Stock exchange.

    > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.

    1989.

    > 16. What name is given to a male swan?

    Pen?

    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?

    Bass viol.

    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?

    Norway and Sweden.

    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?

    Ganges.

    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?

    Hamlet.

    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)

    Rembrandt?

    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?
    > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?

    Leonardo da Vinci?

    > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?

    8 1/2?
    --
    Mark Brader "A moment's thought would have shown him,
    Toronto but a moment is a long time and thought

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:31:39 +0100, Gareth Owen put fingers to keyboard
    and said:

    > May 11, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?

    Patrick Duffy

    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?
    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?

    Davy Jones

    > 6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?

    the head

    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?

    a dozen

    > 12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?
    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
    > 16. What name is given to a male swan?
    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?

    bass

    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?

    Sweden Norway

    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?

    Ganges

    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?

    Hamlet? (or maybe Lear)

    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)

    Pablo Picasso

    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?

    Spinach and (ricotta) cheese(?)

    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?

    veal shanks

    > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?

    Imola

    > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?

    --
    +-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
    Bruce Bowler | We at Chrysler borrow money the old-fashioned way.

    On 01 Jul 2004 20:31:39 +0100, Gareth Owen
    <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >May 11, 2004
    >
    >1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    >2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    Patrick Duffy

    >3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    Erg?

    >4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?
    St Helena?

    >5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?
    Davy Jones

    >6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
    Uruguay?

    >7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    >8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    >9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
    Head and neck

    >10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    >11. What is the square root of a gross?
    A dozen

    >12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    I don't know the full name. drat. Bu it's the Bow bells

    >13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?
    Typhoon?

    >14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    Treausury? Exchequer?

    >15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
    >16. What name is given to a male swan?
    cob

    >17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    Double bass?

    >18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?
    >19. What is the most sacred river in India?
    Ganges

    >20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    I know that Hamlet talks a -lot- 8-/

    >21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    >22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    >23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    >24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    >25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    >
    >--Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    >26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    Tomato & garlic?

    >27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?
    veal--specificly veal shanks

    >28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    Torino?

    >29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    Da Vinci?

    >30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<r5ir7rvsew4.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>...
    > May 11, 2004
    >

    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    Patrick Duffy

    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?

    Joule. This has been asked within the last two weeks by Keith who
    never scores my responses.

    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?
    Davy Jones

    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
    Head

    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    The good Lord blowed him up real good.

    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?
    12

    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    The City? anyway, the stock market.

    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    Double bass

    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?
    Sweden and Norway

    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?
    Depends on who you ask. You're looking for Ganges

    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    Joe Mama

    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    10

    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    Hickory, Dickory, and Dock

    Albert, Stephanie, and Caroline

    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    Michael Jackson

    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?
    veal
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <r5ir7rvsew4.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > May 11, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?

    Corsica?

    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?

    Davy Jones

    > 6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?

    Paraguay

    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?

    Montbatten

    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?

    dozen

    > 12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?

    tropical storm

    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.

    1991

    > 16. What name is given to a male swan?

    cob

    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?

    double bass

    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?

    Norway and Sweden

    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?

    Ganges

    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?

    three

    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?

    Manchester United

    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?

    veal

    > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?

    Thanks, Gareth . . . very challenging.

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

    > Gareth Owen writes:
    > > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    >
    > These British quizzes -- another famous personality that I've never
    > heard of. Richard Whiteley.

    Utterly, utterly incompetent host of Countdown
    Not even a household name in his own household.

    ObTrivia : Which country devised the format of "Countdown"?
    What was it called in that country?

    (For those who don't know : Nine letters are selected at random [contestants
    choose only `vowel' or `consonant'] and whoever forms the longest word scores
    that many points. Later six small numbers are selected, and a random 3
    figure number must be formed using only addition / multiplication /
    subtraction and division)

    > > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > > scale?
    >
    > Whole gale.

    Thats one possible answer. There are (at least) two others.

    > > 16. What name is given to a male swan?
    >
    > Pen?

    That's a female.

    > > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    >
    > Bass viol.

    The bass viol is fretted, and so is usually classified with the viol
    rather than the violin.
    http://www.latms.berkeley.k12.ca.us/BSO/history_sb/modernorch.html

    > > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    >
    > Hamlet.

    Incorrect.

    > > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    >
    > Rembrandt?

    No

    > > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > > intrusive newspaper photographer?
    >
    > 8 1/2?

    Incorrect.

    All the rest right.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.

    msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

    > > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    >
    > Hamlet.

    Oops. Mea culpa. This is right.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Bruce Bowler <bbowler@bigelow.org> writes:

    > > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    >
    > Spinach and (ricotta) cheese(?)

    I don't think ricotta is specified, but yes.
    (Actually, cheese is sometimes omitted entirely these days)

    > > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    >
    > Imola

    Thats the San Marino Grand Prix. It just happens to be in Italy.

    Rest right.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > May 11, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"

    Richard Whiteley

    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?

    joule

    > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?

    Corsica

    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?

    Davy Jones

    > 6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?

    Paraguay

    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?

    head

    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?

    a dozen

    > 12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?
    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?

    stock exchange

    > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.

    1989

    > 16. What name is given to a male swan?

    drake

    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?

    bass viol

    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?

    Norway and Sweden

    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?

    Ganges

    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?

    Hamlet

    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    >
    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?

    pasta and spinach

    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?

    veal

    > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?

    Michelangelo

    > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?

    La Dolce Vita
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    The most intelligent thing Gareth Owen ever wrote was the following:

    > May 11, 2004
    >
    > 1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    Richard Whiteley
    > 2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    > 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    Joules
    > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?
    St Helena
    > 5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?
    > 6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
    Paraguay
    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    Elizabeth?
    > 9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
    Head
    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    Mountbatten
    > 11. What is the square root of a gross?
    > 12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    St Mary-le-Bow
    > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?
    Storm
    > 14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    London Stock Exchange?
    > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
    1989
    > 16. What name is given to a male swan?
    cob
    > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    cello
    > 18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?
    > 19. What is the most sacred river in India?
    Ganga
    > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    Falstaff?
    > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    All?
    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    Derby
    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    Liverpool
    > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    Picasso

    > --Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    > 27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?
    > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    Monza
    > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    > 30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <r5id63fscs6.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>,
    Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:
    >
    >> > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    >>
    >> Hamlet.
    >
    >Oops. Mea culpa. This is right.

    If you count characters that appear in more than one play then I think
    that both Henry V (a.k.a. Prince Hal in Henry IV) and Falstaff have more
    lines than Hamlet.

    Alan
    --
    Defendit numerus
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen and I (Mark Brader) wrote:

    >>> Hamlet.
    >>
    >> Oops. Mea culpa. This is right.

    I *thought* so!

    Alan Morgan writes:
    > If you count characters that appear in more than one play then I think
    > that both Henry V (a.k.a. Prince Hal in Henry IV) and Falstaff have more
    > lines than Hamlet.

    Yeah, I suspected there'd be at least one like that too, but I didn't
    know who, so I went with Hamlet.
    --
    Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
    "A system which depends upon the secrecy of its algorithm

    On 01 Jul 2004 20:31:39 +0100, Gareth Owen
    <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >May 11, 2004
    >
    >1. Anagram - TV personality - "Dirty Wheelchair"
    >2. Which actor played the roles of Bobby Ewing in Dallas and the Man
    > From Atlantis?
    Patrick Duffy
    >3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    >4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > island did he die?
    >5. What was the name of the only English member of the group The
    > Monkees?
    Davey jones
    >6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
    >7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?
    >8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    >9. On what part of the body might one commonly wear a wimple?
    >10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    >11. What is the square root of a gross?
    12
    >12. To be a true Cockney one must be born within the sound of the
    > bells of which church? Full name.
    >13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > scale?
    >14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > equivalent?
    >15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
    >16. What name is given to a male swan?
    cygnet
    >17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    >18. Which two countries occupy the Scandinavian peninsula?
    Norway and Sweden
    >19. What is the most sacred river in India?
    >20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    >21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > End?
    >22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?
    >23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?
    >24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?
    >25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    >
    >--Loser's Round on "Italian Culture"
    >
    >26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    >27. What type of meat is used in the traditional Italian dish Osso
    > Bucco?
    >28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    >29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    >30. Out of which Fellini film did the word paparazzi, named after the
    > photo-journalist character, Paparazzo, become a synonym for an
    > intrusive newspaper photographer?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > Bruce Bowler <bbowler@bigelow.org> writes:
    >> > 28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    >>
    >> Imola
    >
    > Thats the San Marino Grand Prix. It just happens to be in Italy.

    Monza.

    The snow meant for them falls on the roadway
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > May 11, 2004
    > 7. Bill Rodgers and three other politicians formed the Social
    > Democratic Party in Britain they were collectively known as the
    > Gang of Four. Name the other three members?

    David Owen, Shirley Williams, Woy Jenkins.

    > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?

    Earl Mountbatten

    > 22. What are the christian names of the three children of the Prince
    > of Monaco?

    Caroline, Stephanie, and the bald prince whose name I forget.

    > 23. Which English football team are nicknamed the Rams?

    Derby County

    > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > which English football club?

    The Pool.

    Speicherzugriffsfehler
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

    > > 4. During his life Napoleon was exiled on two islands. On which
    > > island did he die?
    >
    > Corsica?

    No. Born on Corsica, though.

    > > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    >
    > Montbatten

    With a 'u', but correct.

    > > 13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > > scale?
    >
    > tropical storm

    Well, it would be in the tropics.

    > > 15. In which year did the following events occur: The Ayatollah
    > > Khomeini issued a fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his novel The Satanic
    > > Verses, The Exxon Valdez spilled eleven million gallons of oil in
    > > Alaska, students protested in Tiananmen Square.
    >
    > 1991

    Wrong

    > > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > > End?
    >
    > three

    Wrong

    > > 24. The Thai Prime Minister, Thanksin Shinawatra, has been in the news
    > > this week for showing an interest in buying a 30 percent share in
    > > which English football club?
    >
    > Manchester United

    Wrong

    The rest are right
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    All right (except Albert's name)
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Barbara Bailey <rabrab@merr.com> writes:

    > >3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    > Erg?

    Thats the CGS system

    > >6. Which country has common borders with Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil?
    > Uruguay?

    Last 4 letters right

    > >13. What stands between a strong gale and a hurricane on the Beaufort
    > > scale?
    > Typhoon?

    Wrong

    > >14. In France it is known as The Bourse. What is its English
    > > equivalent?
    > Treausury? Exchequer?

    Close, but incorrect

    > >20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    > I know that Hamlet talks a -lot- 8-/

    And mainly to himself.

    > >26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    > Tomato & garlic?

    Incorrect

    > >28. At which track is the Italian Grand prix usually held?
    > Torino?

    Incorrect

    Remaining right
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> writes:

    > > 16. What name is given to a male swan?
    >
    > drake

    Incorrect

    > > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    >
    > bass viol

    Technically, a bass viol is fretted, so no.

    > > 26. What are the two main ingredients of any Italian dish that is
    > > described as Florentine or Florentina?
    >
    > pasta and spinach

    Not pasta (although pasta is often served Florentina)

    > > 29. Which Italian renaissance artist painted the mural of the "Last
    > > Supper" at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan?
    >
    > Michelangelo

    Incorrect

    Rest are right
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    hitesh <hrk@cc.gatech.edu> writes:

    > > 8. What was the maiden-name of the Queen mother?
    > Elizabeth?

    Wanted her pre-marriage surname.

    > > 17. Which instrument is the largest member of the violin family?
    > cello

    Incorrect

    > > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    > Falstaff?

    No, but thats what I thought. I wonder where we got this idea.

    > > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > > End?
    > All?

    Touché!

    Rest Correct
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    amorgan@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Alan Morgan) writes:

    > If you count characters that appear in more than one play then I think that
    > both Henry V (a.k.a. Prince Hal in Henry IV) and Falstaff have more lines
    > than Hamlet.

    Thats what I thought, but a web source I found denied it.
    Then I found a whole lot of others supporting it, but no raw numbers...
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    Bruce In Cleveland <brucemorrison216@sbcglobal.net> writes:

    > >16. What name is given to a male swan?
    > cygnet

    Thats a juvenile swan, not an adult male.

    Others correct

    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:

    > > 10. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
    > The good Lord blowed him up real good.

    Well, technically it was Thomas McMahon, of the Provisional IRA

    > > 20. Which Shakespearean character has the largest speaking part?
    > Joe Mama

    And once again, this fails to be the correct answer

    > > 21. In archery, how many arrows must land in the gold for a Perfect
    > > End?
    > 10

    Not in competition...

    > > 25. Who painted "Boy with a Pipe" that sold at auction this week for a
    > > record 104 million dollars (58m pounds)?
    > > [exchange rates correct at time of going to press :P)
    > Michael Jackson

    Not strictly correct
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana.... Let's call the whole thing Orff.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Mark Brader wrote:

    > Gareth Owen writes:
    >> 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    >
    > Joule.

    Since we're on the nitpickers newsgroup and not in a pub, I must
    say I'm surprised no one (especially Mark) pointed out that in
    physics, work and energy are two different things.

    Joule is the SI unit of energy, but I'm drawing a blank on a name
    for a unit of work. The only thing that comes to mind is
    watt-second, which is what such a unit would be equal to, if I
    remember my physics right.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:

    > Joule is the SI unit of energy, but I'm drawing a blank on a name
    > for a unit of work. The only thing that comes to mind is
    > watt-second

    A watt second is a Joule (or rather, a watt is a Joule/second)

    As I was taught energy and work have the same units, since energy is defined
    as the capability for doing work. (or maybe thats just potential energy).

    The work done = the amount of energy transformed.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    If I knew what the hell I was doing, it wouldn't be research...

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> writes:
    >
    >> Joule is the SI unit of energy, but I'm drawing a blank on a
    >> name for a unit of work. The only thing that comes to mind is
    >> watt-second
    >
    > A watt second is a Joule (or rather, a watt is a Joule/second)
    >
    > As I was taught energy and work have the same units, since
    > energy is defined as the capability for doing work. (or maybe
    > thats just potential energy).

    OK, I'll take your word for it. It's been too long since physics
    class.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilque (dtilque@nwlink.com) writes:
    > Joule is the SI unit of energy, but I'm drawing a blank on a name
    > for a unit of work. The only thing that comes to mind is
    > watt-second, which is what such a unit would be equal to, if I
    > remember my physics right.

    Newtonmeter?

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    What bout a foot-pound? (SAE)
    Brian
    "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
    > Mark Brader wrote:
    >
    > > Gareth Owen writes:
    > >> 3. What is the SI unit of work and energy?
    > >
    > > Joule.
    >
    > Since we're on the nitpickers newsgroup and not in a pub, I must
    > say I'm surprised no one (especially Mark) pointed out that in
    > physics, work and energy are two different things.
    >
    > Joule is the SI unit of energy, but I'm drawing a blank on a name
    > for a unit of work. The only thing that comes to mind is
    > watt-second, which is what such a unit would be equal to, if I
    > remember my physics right.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Tilque

Video Games