Pub Quiz - 20040311

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in 1693?
3. In which film did Angela Lansbury play opposite Elvis Presley, as his
mother?
4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
5. What was the name of Stan's sister in On The Buses?

Name the war these battles were a part of
6. Fort Sumter
7. Naseby
8. Passchendaele
9. Crecy
10. Guadalcanal

11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
circulation?
14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between 1981 and
2002?
18. On which classic album cover can you see a VW Beetle with the
registration no. LMW 281F?
19. Who had her first British number one for four years this week with
'Toxic'?
20. Who had a hit with Devil Gate Drive in 1974??
21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George Bulwer-
Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
23. In which comic did Dan Dare most famously appear?
24. Which magazine shares its name with a William Thackeray novel?
25. Whose autobiography, translated into English, begins "Today it seems to
be providential that Fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as my
birthplace"
26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them?
27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in films?
28. What is the only item of clothing usually worn by Bugs Bunny?
29. Which actor's name is an anagram of Genuine Class?
30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?
31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
the UK?
32. Who played Rocky Cassidy in Boon?
33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?
34. Which classic British sit-com was originally to be titled 'The Fighting
Tigers'?
35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie Smith?

36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
38. Which team knocked Man United out of Europe this week?
39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
40. In which sport did Chris Finnegan win a gold medal for Britain in the
1968 Olympics
41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?
42. Which knighted actor narrated Paddington Bear?
43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?
45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
46. According to legend, why did the residents of Hartlepool hang a monkey?
47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose, Tower
and Forest?
48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
49. What are briar, bobble, shell, and puff types of?
50. Which liquer gets its name from the Gaelic for ``the drink that
satisfies''?
51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
Billy Shears collectively better known?
52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?
53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?
54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
55. Daphne Blake, Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Norville Rogers - who's missing?
56. A Snellen Chart is usually found where?
57. What is the nickname of the 7th Armoured Brigade?
58. Shirley, Betty, Wilberforce, James, Ernest, Steven and Cuthbert. What
company do they work for?
59. Where did Butlins open their first holiday camp?
60. What was the name of the author of a book on Fly Fishing, in the Yellow
Pages advert?

"They've got to be protected
All their rights respected
Until somebody we like can be elected"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:17:40 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
wild guess--green?

> 2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in 1693?
> 3. In which film did Angela Lansbury play opposite Elvis Presley, as his
> mother?
> 4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
> 5. What was the name of Stan's sister in On The Buses?
>
> Name the war these battles were a part of
> 6. Fort Sumter
American Civil War

> 7. Naseby
> 8. Passchendaele
WWI

> 9. Crecy
> 10. Guadalcanal
WWII

> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
Percentage or number? percentage, I suspect Israel; number, I'll
guess the US.

> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
Mexico?

> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
> circulation?
> 14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> 17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between 1981 and
> 2002?
Cats

> 18. On which classic album cover can you see a VW Beetle with the
> registration no. LMW 281F?
Abbey Road

> 19. Who had her first British number one for four years this week with
> 'Toxic'?
> 20. Who had a hit with Devil Gate Drive in 1974??
> 21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
Dr. Spock

> 22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George Bulwer-
> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
"It was a dark and stormy night...

> 23. In which comic did Dan Dare most famously appear?
> 24. Which magazine shares its name with a William Thackeray novel?
Vanity Fair

> 25. Whose autobiography, translated into English, begins "Today it seems to
> be providential that Fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as my
> birthplace"
> 26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them?
Alexander Nevsky?

> 27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in films?
> 28. What is the only item of clothing usually worn by Bugs Bunny?
> 29. Which actor's name is an anagram of Genuine Class?
> 30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?
Dick Van a lovely person

> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
> the UK?
> 32. Who played Rocky Cassidy in Boon?
> 33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?
> 34. Which classic British sit-com was originally to be titled 'The Fighting
> Tigers'?
> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie Smith?
> 36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
> division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
> 38. Which team knocked Man United out of Europe this week?
> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
> 40. In which sport did Chris Finnegan win a gold medal for Britain in the
> 1968 Olympics
> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?
goat (although some mohair is rabbit)

> 42. Which knighted actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
Throwing up

> 44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?
dernier? mom? mom (abrev. mm) is used for silk fabric, I know

> 45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
> 46. According to legend, why did the residents of Hartlepool hang a monkey?
> 47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose, Tower
> and Forest?
> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
> 49. What are briar, bobble, shell, and puff types of?
> 50. Which liquer gets its name from the Gaelic for ``the drink that
> satisfies''?
Drambuie

> 51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
> Billy Shears collectively better known?
> 52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?
computers

> 53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?
Helium

> 54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
> 55. Daphne Blake, Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Norville Rogers - who's missing?
Scooby Doo himself

> 56. A Snellen Chart is usually found where?
In an eye-doctor's exam room

The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
Red?
> 2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in 1693?
White's
> 3. In which film did Angela Lansbury play opposite Elvis Presley, as his
> mother?
> 4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
Black Sabbath?
> 5. What was the name of Stan's sister in On The Buses?
>
> Name the war these battles were a part of
> 6. Fort Sumter
US Civil War
> 7. Naseby
English Civil War
> 8. Passchendaele
World War I
> 9. Crecy
100 Years War
> 10. Guadalcanal
World War II

> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
USA? It has to be a trick question...can't be Israel
> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
Aw come on...Spain?
> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
> circulation?
Times of India
> 14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
Mars?
> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> 17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between 1981 and
> 2002?
> 18. On which classic album cover can you see a VW Beetle with the
> registration no. LMW 281F?
Abbey Road?
> 19. Who had her first British number one for four years this week with
> 'Toxic'?
> 20. Who had a hit with Devil Gate Drive in 1974??
> 21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
Benjamin Spock
> 22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George Bulwer-
> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
"It was a dark and stormy night"
> 23. In which comic did Dan Dare most famously appear?
Eagle
> 24. Which magazine shares its name with a William Thackeray novel?
Vanity Fair
> 25. Whose autobiography, translated into English, begins "Today it seems to
> be providential that Fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as my
> birthplace"
> 26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them?
Gandhi?
> 27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in films?
> 28. What is the only item of clothing usually worn by Bugs Bunny?
Gloves
> 29. Which actor's name is an anagram of Genuine Class?
Alec Guinness
> 30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?
Dick van a lovely person
> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
> the UK?
> 32. Who played Rocky Cassidy in Boon?
> 33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?
Torquay
> 34. Which classic British sit-com was originally to be titled 'The Fighting
> Tigers'?
Dad's army?
> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie Smith?
>
> 36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
> division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
USA?
> 38. Which team knocked Man United out of Europe this week?
> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
Bobby Moore
> 40. In which sport did Chris Finnegan win a gold medal for Britain in the
> 1968 Olympics
Bocing
> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?
> 42. Which knighted actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
Vomitting
> 44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?
Denier
> 45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
Lawrence of Arabia
> 46. According to legend, why did the residents of Hartlepool hang a monkey?
> 47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose, Tower
> and Forest?
> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
> 49. What are briar, bobble, shell, and puff types of?
> 50. Which liquer gets its name from the Gaelic for ``the drink that
> satisfies''?
> 51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
> Billy Shears collectively better known?
> 52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?
Computers?
> 53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?
Helium
> 54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
Iron Curtain
> 55. Daphne Blake, Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Norville Rogers - who's missing?
Scooby Doo
> 56. A Snellen Chart is usually found where?
At the optometrists
> 57. What is the nickname of the 7th Armoured Brigade?
Desert Rats
> 58. Shirley, Betty, Wilberforce, James, Ernest, Steven and Cuthbert. What
> company do they work for?
Grace Brothers
> 59. Where did Butlins open their first holiday camp?
> 60. What was the name of the author of a book on Fly Fishing, in the Yellow
> Pages advert?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
Green
> 2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in 1693?
> 3. In which film did Angela Lansbury play opposite Elvis Presley, as his
> mother?
> 4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
Black Sabbath
> 5. What was the name of Stan's sister in On The Buses?
>
> Name the war these battles were a part of
> 6. Fort Sumter
U.S. Civil War
> 7. Naseby
> 8. Passchendaele
> 9. Crecy
> 10. Guadalcanal
World War II, Pacific Theatre

> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
> circulation?
USA Today
> 14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> 17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between 1981 and
> 2002?
> 18. On which classic album cover can you see a VW Beetle with the
> registration no. LMW 281F?
> 19. Who had her first British number one for four years this week with
> 'Toxic'?
> 20. Who had a hit with Devil Gate Drive in 1974??
> 21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
Dr. Benjamin Spock
> 22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George Bulwer-
> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
On a dark and Stormy Night
> 23. In which comic did Dan Dare most famously appear?
> 24. Which magazine shares its name with a William Thackeray novel?
> 25. Whose autobiography, translated into English, begins "Today it seems to
> be providential that Fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as my
> birthplace"
> 26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them?
> 27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in films?
> 28. What is the only item of clothing usually worn by Bugs Bunny?
> 29. Which actor's name is an anagram of Genuine Class?
> 30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?
Dick Van a lovely person
> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
> the UK?
> 32. Who played Rocky Cassidy in Boon?
> 33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?
> 34. Which classic British sit-com was originally to be titled 'The Fighting
> Tigers'?
> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie Smith?
>
> 36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
> division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
Italy
> 38. Which team knocked Man United out of Europe this week?
> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
> 40. In which sport did Chris Finnegan win a gold medal for Britain in the
> 1968 Olympics
> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?
Sheep
> 42. Which knighted actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
> 44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?
> 45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
> 46. According to legend, why did the residents of Hartlepool hang a monkey?
> 47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose, Tower
> and Forest?
> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
> 49. What are briar, bobble, shell, and puff types of?
> 50. Which liquer gets its name from the Gaelic for ``the drink that
> satisfies''?
> 51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
> Billy Shears collectively better known?
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
> 52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?
Computers From (in Order, Red Dwarf, 2001: A Space oddesy and the
Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy)
> 53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?
> 54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
> 55. Daphne Blake, Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Norville Rogers - who's missing?
Scooby Dooo

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry
VIII?

Green

> 2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in
1693?
> 3. In which film did Angela Lansbury play opposite Elvis Presley, as
his
> mother?
> 4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
> 5. What was the name of Stan's sister in On The Buses?

Olive

> Name the war these battles were a part of
> 6. Fort Sumter
> 7. Naseby

English civil ?

> 8. Passchendaele

WW1

> 9. Crecy
> 10. Guadalcanal
>
> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?

US ?

> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother
tongue?
> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the
highest
> circulation?

The Sun ?

> 14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?

Sweden ?

> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a
total
> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?

Apache ?

> 17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between
1981 and
> 2002?
> 18. On which classic album cover can you see a VW Beetle with the
> registration no. LMW 281F?
> 19. Who had her first British number one for four years this week with
> 'Toxic'?
> 20. Who had a hit with Devil Gate Drive in 1974??

Suzi Quattro

> 21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
> 22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George
Bulwer-
> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
> 23. In which comic did Dan Dare most famously appear?

Eagle ?

> 24. Which magazine shares its name with a William Thackeray novel?
> 25. Whose autobiography, translated into English, begins "Today it seems
> be providential that Fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as
my
> birthplace"
> 26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them?

Ghandi?

> 27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in
films?

Sid James

> 28. What is the only item of clothing usually worn by Bugs Bunny?
> 29. Which actor's name is an anagram of Genuine Class?
> 30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?

Dick Van a lovely person

> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme
in
> the UK?

Live aid (I hope)

> 32. Who played Rocky Cassidy in Boon?

Neil Morrisey

> 33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?

Torquay

> 34. Which classic British sit-com was originally to be titled 'The
Fighting
> Tigers'?
> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie
Smith?

People's Liberation Front ?

> 36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
> division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France
winners?
> 38. Which team knocked Man United out of Europe this week?
> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in
1971?

Princess Anne ?

> 40. In which sport did Chris Finnegan win a gold medal for Britain in
the
> 1968 Olympics

Boxing

> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?

Goat (or rabbit)

> 42. Which knighted actor narrated Paddington Bear?

Michael Horden

> 43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
> 44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?

Denier

> 45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
> 46. According to legend, why did the residents of Hartlepool hang a
monkey?

They thought he was French (and a spy)

> 47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose,
Tower
> and Forest?

Hill ?

> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?

Swen

> 49. What are briar, bobble, shell, and puff types of?
> 50. Which liquer gets its name from the Gaelic for ``the drink that
> satisfies''?
> 51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso
and
> Billy Shears collectively better known?
> 52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?

Computers

> 53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?

Helium

> 54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
> 55. Daphne Blake, Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Norville Rogers - who's
missing?
> 56. A Snellen Chart is usually found where?
> 57. What is the nickname of the 7th Armoured Brigade?
> 58. Shirley, Betty, Wilberforce, James, Ernest, Steven and Cuthbert.
What
> company do they work for?
> 59. Where did Butlins open their first holiday camp?
> 60. What was the name of the author of a book on Fly Fishing, in the
Yellow
> Pages advert?

J. R. Hartley

Duncan Smith wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
>
> Sweden ?

Nope

>> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
>> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
>
> Apache ?

Nope

>> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
>> the UK?
>
> Live aid (I hope)

Nope.

>> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie Smith?
>
> People's Liberation Front ?

Nope

>> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
>
> Swen

Right thinking, wrong name.

Rest correct.

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who
are undecided." - Casey Stengel

Keith Willoughby writes:
> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?

USA.

> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?

Telstar.
--
Mark Brader | "'"'Tisn't very easy to tell if a '"' or ''' mark
Toronto | is an opening or closing quote or ditto or prime,"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87hdsrb9m3.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in
1693?
The Athenium? In the U.S. "Gentleman's Club" has quite a different
meaning...

> 4. Which band were formed in 1967 by Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler?
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

> Name the war these battles were a part of
> 6. Fort Sumter
U.S. Civil War

> 7. Naseby
> 8. Passchendaele
I should know this one

> 9. Crecy
> 10. Guadalcanal
The Big One
> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
Holland, with their liberal drug laws. No, it's the U.S.

> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
Again, the U.S.

> 17. Which musical ran for almost 9000 performances in the UK between 1981 and
> 2002?
Cats

> 21. Who wrote the Commonsense Book of Baby and Child Care?
Dr. Benjamin Spock

> 22. The first line of the novel ``Paul Clifford'' by Edward George Bulwer-
> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
It was a dark and stormy night.

30. Who played Bert in Mary Poppins?
Dick Van a lovely person, the unfunny Van a lovely person Brother

> 33. In which seaside town was Fawlty Towers set?
Torquay. This has been asked within the last month, but Keith failed
to deign to answer my answering of it.

> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool usually come from?
Sheep

> 43. What is emetophobia the fear of?
vomiting

> 45. How was Aircraftman Thomas Edward Shaw better known?
Lawrence of Arabia. He enjoyed boys and caning.

> 51. How were Apollo C Vermouth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
> Billy Shears collectively better known?
SPLHCB

> 52. Holly, HAL, and Deep Thought were names of fictional whats?
Computers

> 53. Which gas is named after the Greek word for the Sun?
Helium

> 59. Where did Butlins open their first holiday camp?
Brighton?

> 60. What was the name of the author of a book on Fly Fishing, in the Yellow
> Pages advert?
Joe Mama

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>

>> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
> wild guess--green?

Guess is correct.

Green Green Grass of Home, Green Onions, Green, and Greensleeves.

>> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
> Percentage or number? percentage, I suspect Israel; number, I'll
> guess the US.

Number. And, yes.

>> 26. Which film used the most extras - around 300,000 of them? Alexander Nevsky?

No

>> 44. What term is used to denote the fineness of silk or nylon?
> dernier? mom? mom (abrev. mm) is used for silk fabric, I know

Denier, yes.

Rest correct.

"Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without
fighting."
- Sun Tzu

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>
>> 2. Which is the oldest of the London Gentleman's Clubs, founded in 1693?
>
> White something

White's.

[...]

> (All colors, er, colours?)

Yup!

>> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
>> circulation?
>
> New York Daily News

Nope.

>> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
>> the UK?
>
> Chuck and Di's wedding

Correct. Most people went for the funeral, IIRC.

Rest correct.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
religious conviction."
-- Pascal

hitesh wrote:

> The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:
>

>> 1. Which colour links Tom Jones, Booker T and the MGs, REM, and Henry VIII?
> Red?

Nope

>> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
> Aw come on...Spain?

Nope.

>> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
>> circulation?
> Times of India

Nope

>> 14. Which chocolate bar has the highest sales in the UK?
> Mars?

Nope

>> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
> USA?

Nope

>> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
> Bobby Moore

Heh. No.

>> 54. What ran from Stettin on the Baltic, to Trieste on the Adriatic?
> Iron Curtain

Correct. Winston's words.

Rest correct.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra

Brvce In Cleveland wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jvl 2004 00:17:40 +0100, Keith Willovghby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 13. Which of the world's English langvage daily newspapers has the highest
>> circvlation?
> USA Today

Nope

>> 22. The first line of the novel ``Pavl Clifford'' by Edward George Bvlwer-
>> Lytton has come to symbolise bad writing. What is it?
> On a dark and Stormy Night

"It was a", bvt yes.

>> 37. Other than France, which covntry has had the most Tovr De France winners?
> Italy

Nope

>> 41. What type of animal does mohair wool vsvally come from?
> Sheep

Nope

>> 51. How were Apollo C Vermovth, Dr Winston O'Boogie, L'Angelo Misterioso and
>> Billy Shears collectively better known?
> Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Clvb Band

The Beatles. Billy Shears was Ringo in Sergeant Pepper's, the rest were
jvst psevdonyms for the others.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Unionise.

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
>
> USA.

Yup

>> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
>> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
>
> Telstar.

Nope

We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 27. Which actor played Dick Turpin, Henry VIII, and Marc Antony in films?
> >
> > Charles Laughton
>
> No.
>
> This might be the all-time favourite question I've ever come up with
> myself.

Thats enough of a clue to think laterally!

Sid James.

--
Gareth Owen
So much depends upon a red

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > Charles Laughton
>>
>> No.
>>
>> This might be the all-time favourite question I've ever come up with
>> myself.
>
> Thats enough of a clue to think laterally!
>
> Sid James.

Yup!

This is the year

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 13. Which of the world's English language daily newspapers has the highest
> >> circulation?
> >
> > Times of India
>
> Nope

News Of The World?

> >> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
> >> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> >
> > Telstar?
>
> Nope

Hoots Mon?

> >> 36. Which of the current English Premiership teams has been in the top
> >> division for the longest consecutive number of seasons?
> >
> > Well, this *used* to be Coventry City
>
> Nah. They were always second.

Aston Villa?

> >> 39. Which Three-Day Eventer won BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1971?
> >
> > Harvey Broom?
>
> Neither of those, no.

Capt. Mark Phillips?

--
Gareth Owen
In one of the Bard's best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent hero,

> Duncan Smith wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
> >> 15. Which country spends the most per person on healthcare?
> >
> > Sweden ?
>
> Nope
>
> >> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend
a total
> >> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> >
> > Apache ?
>
> Nope
>
> >> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV
programme in
> >> the UK?
> >
> > Live aid (I hope)
>
> Nope.
>
> >> 35. What was the name of the revolutionary group was lead by Wolfie
Smith?

> > People's Liberation Front ?
>
> Nope
>
> >> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham,
Terry?

> > Swen
>
> Right thinking, wrong name.

Aha, possibly Kevin.

Duncan

Duncan Smith wrote:

>> > Swen
>>
>> Right thinking, wrong name.
>>

> Aha, possibly Kevin.

There's one before Kevin and after Terry.

9-3

> Duncan Smith wrote:

Terry?

> >> Right thinking, wrong name.
> >>

> > Aha, possibly Kevin.
>
> There's one before Kevin and after Terry.

You're not counting Howard? (Yes, I cheated -- no USAn could possibly know
this one.)

Ian Noble wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:17:40 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 11. Which country has the highest Jewish population?
> Russia?

Nope

>> 12. Which country has the most people with Spanish as their mother tongue?
> USA?

Nope.

>> 16. Which instrumental track, originally released in 1961, has spend a total
>> of 55 weeks in the UK charts?
> Telstar?

Nope

>> 31. Which event drew the highest ever audience of 39m for a TV programme in
>> the UK?
> Princess Diana's funeral

Nope.

>> 37. Other than France, which country has had the most Tour De France winners?
> Holland?

Nope

>> 47. What links the following: Denmark, Parliament, Lavender, Primrose, Tower
>> and Forest?
> "Mornington Crescent".

:) No.

>> 48. What's next in this sequence - Joe, Don, Ron, Bobby, Graham, Terry?
> Sven

Nope. There's a couple before Sven.

Rest correct.

"I'm Slim Shady, the Real Slim Shady
The other Slim Shady's gone to play tennis"

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > Times of India
>>
>> Nope
>
> News Of The World?

Close. "daily".

>> > Telstar?
>>
>> Nope
>
> Hoots Mon?

Nope.

>> > Well, this *used* to be Coventry City
>>
>> Nah. They were always second.
>
> Aston Villa?

Nope.

>> > Harvey Broom?
>>
>> Neither of those, no.
>
> Capt. Mark Phillips?

Very close.

Jose Padilla - charge him or release him. http://www.chargepadilla.org/

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> > Capt. Mark Phillips?
>
> Very close.

Anne?
--
Gareth Owen
There ain't no sanity clause

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> > Capt. Mark Phillips?
>>
>> Very close.
>
> Anne?

Yup.

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again."

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> writes:

> You're not counting Howard? (Yes, I cheated -- no USAn could possibly know
> this one.)

Glenn Hoddle came after Terry Venables

--
Gareth Owen
By the time you swear you're his, shivering and sighing

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> writes:
>
> > You're not counting Howard? (Yes, I cheated -- no USAn could possibly
know
> > this one.)
>
> Glenn Hoddle came after Terry Venables

.... and Howard Wilkinson came after Terry Venables but before Kevin Keegan.

TRENDING THREADS