Sign in with
Your question

Gamer Related Coverage Feedback

Last response: in Video Games
August 28, 2002 3:03:33 AM

Since you like gaming or would not be reading this area, from an Editorial perspective, I would like to ask a few questions to help me tune our coverage.

What did you think of the Quakecon Coverage on THG?

Did you find that we had too much coverage or not enough?

Do you want us to continue to cover LAN gaming events?

Do you think that coverage of LAN gaming events is something that we should be covering at THG?

Do you find our coverage of hardware topics doesn't do enough to address the needs of gamers?

What other suggestions do you have to improve our coverage of gaming related topics?
August 28, 2002 5:02:26 AM

I never really read the quakecon articles (only part I did read was the $100,000 to first place winner and a little of the first after that:) ). To be honest, I don't find those to be very worthwhile (well the lan party ones, the others where u cover tech conventions are very interesting). IMO, rather than lan coverage, how bout a few game reviews.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: 
August 28, 2002 5:22:50 AM

yea...game reviews would be very nice?... I know this is a hardware site, but a little of gaming can spice things up. A lot of gamers visit this site and it would be pretty helpful to have game reviews. it would definately increase considerably the number of hits the website gets. Appoint a few people who knows games and make them write reviews. Add a Guides section called "Tom's Games". Just reviews and previews, no "cheats, gudies, walkthrough" nonsense... Im gonna think of ideas and post more because i think this could be a good idea.

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"
Related resources
August 28, 2002 12:56:38 PM

Yes, I really think game reviews on Tom's Hardware would add a lot to the site in general! :smile:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.
August 28, 2002 6:51:55 PM

Yeah, and just to keep it hardware related, try out the games with several different configs and post the specs. It would be nice for people to know what they can expect with their "cutting edge" machine, or the one that's 2 years old.

Sure, sure, those "minimal/recommended" specs are on the box. They are also right next to worthless.

C@lling it like I c it...
August 29, 2002 2:42:39 AM

Min specs tell u how much u need to get the first menu of the game to load....beyond that, it's a guessing game.

What if you had admin rights to life?
August 29, 2002 8:23:44 PM

I like the idea of config comparisons for games a minimum might be an intel top of the line rig and a similar amd platform and then a more mainstream set of amd and intel rigs.. all co-varied with ati and nvidia solutions ( can you tell I did a lot of stats in grad school ?? LOL) so a good review would include each system with each card for a comparison = 4 intel units and 4 amd units

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fudde..." target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>
August 29, 2002 8:37:18 PM

What did you think of the Quakecon Coverage on THG?
I thought it was great. Since I have never had an opportunity to go to an event like that, I found it very interesting.

Did you find that we had too much coverage or not enough?
No, I thought you had the right amount of coverage.

Do you want us to continue to cover LAN gaming events?
Yes, atleast a few of the larger ones.

Do you think that coverage of LAN gaming events is something that we should be covering at THG?
Of course. It might be interesting to do a little behind the scenes thing with all the equipment it takes to put one on. I don't know if that is possible or not.

Do you find our coverage of hardware topics doesn't do enough to address the needs of gamers?
No, you review about every piece of hardware and benchmark games. I don't know what else you could do.

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>
September 2, 2002 9:26:38 PM

I am/would look forward to a game reveiw and to see how it would turn out..........

No Cats or Geese where actually harmed in the making of Might & Majic IX
September 3, 2002 2:30:00 AM

Maybe more on the competitors, what's in their rigs etc.. We all know who won, but know nothing about the actual competition. Maybe you can throw in some weird Box mods, and crazy rig pictures. The write up/coverage was professional.....Lacked "coolness" though. Typical of THG articles. Too much writing about the sponsers....ATi, Carmack/id, DOOM.......What about the competition?

This sig runs too hot.
September 3, 2002 4:58:29 PM

I have really enjoyed the last two articles about LAN events. In particular, the Unreal article grabbed my attention due to the "human interest" angle of the sponsered competitor. I never realized that there were events this big out there. I'm making it a point to attend a couple next year. My suggestions are as follows: pelase continue to cover LAN events. Try to get better pictures. I know that some of the locales aen't exactly set up for "photo-op" type pictures, but it really helped the 1st article over the second (Quakecon). Have a place on Tom's that lists or links to upcoming events. Thanks for the voice. You guys are doing a gret job.

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.
September 6, 2002 2:51:43 PM

Personally i dont care about quake or quackcon...

The only thing i'd like to see is on the Sound Card and Graphics card reviews....include compatibility remarks with all the games you bench it on as well as a couple of the latest and greatest games that you dont bench. In other words, run a few tests and write us a small report to give us some kind of indicator if we're in for a boatload of compatibility problems or if everything runs great without crashes etc...

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
!