How to install USB mouse on Latitude D600?

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.
It does not have a PS/2 port, but has 2 USB 2.0 ports.
I have a Microsoft PS/2 mouse and bought a PS/2 to USB adapter for it,
so I can plug the mouse into the USB port.

Doesn't work.

I ran Add New Hardware and there was no recognition of the mouse. (The
mouse works fine on other computers that have a PS/2 port, so it's not
the mouse.)

Any suggestions for getting the mouse to work through the USB port?? In
advance, thanks.

- bruck

David

Have you tried the mouse WITH the usb adapter on another
computer to verify the adapter is ok?
I also take it you rebooted the laptop with the mouse connected.
You maybe better off just purchasing a usb mouse
specifically for laptops (smaller and lighter than a regular mouse).
Best wishes.
Dave

Bruck,
Is USB enabled in the BIOS?
Paul

"Bruck" <brucem@SpiritOne.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.
> It does not have a PS/2 port, but has 2 USB 2.0 ports.
> I have a Microsoft PS/2 mouse and bought a PS/2 to USB adapter for it, so
> I can plug the mouse into the USB port.
>
> Doesn't work.
>
> I ran Add New Hardware and there was no recognition of the mouse. (The
> mouse works fine on other computers that have a PS/2 port, so it's not the
> mouse.)
>
> Any suggestions for getting the mouse to work through the USB port?? In
> advance, thanks.
>
> - bruck

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Bruck wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop.
> It does not have a PS/2 port, but has 2 USB 2.0 ports.
> I have a Microsoft PS/2 mouse and bought a PS/2 to USB adapter for it,
> so I can plug the mouse into the USB port.
>
> Doesn't work.

FWIW, I went to my local computer store yesterday to buy a PS2toUSB adapter
(so I could use a PS2 mouse with my Dell laptop), and the store said that it
stopped carrying them, since too often they would not work, and they got a
lot of returns. Since the adapters sold for about $10, and a Microsoft USB
optical mouse with a USBtoPS2 adapter sells for $15 at that store, a new
mouse seemed to make sense anyway.