Pub Quiz - 20020530

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2004 12:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

World Cup
1. Which country won the first World Cup?
2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?

Africa
6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
Togoland in 1957
10. Who is the current President of South Africa?

Music
11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
Motion in 1990?

British Geography
16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?

Books
21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
Blandings?
22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?
23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?
Films & TV
26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
29. Who presents Big Brother?
30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?

Science and Nature
31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?
32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?
33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?
34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?
35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

History
36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
blowing through the continent of Africa?

General Knowledge
41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
was based?
48. What is a group of geese called?
49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
60. What would you find in an apiary?

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

More about : pub quiz 20020530

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:45:47 PM

Keith Willoughby writes:
> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
>
> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Cairo

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilimanjaro

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957

Ghana

> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?

Humber Bridge (or Humber Estuary Bridge; I've seen the name given both ways)

> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?

Scilly Isles

> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?

North York Moors

> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

The Merchant of Venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

Second World War

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

Netherlands

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?

The Galloping Gourmet

> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulfur. Sulphur to you.

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?

1960s

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

Copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Albert Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?

Seawise University, formerly the Queen Elizabeth

> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii Five-O

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

The Church of Scientology. And don't let *them* hear you say "cult".

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?

Windscale

> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Karl Marx

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?

It's still T.S. Eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

Gaggle

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi

> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

Patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

George Patton

> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?

It's still Agatha Christie

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

It's still the Purple Heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Icelandic

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

Goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

Bees
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

July 7, 2004 12:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:45:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
>
> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
Kilimanjaro?

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957
> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?
The Merchant of Venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
World War II

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?
> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
Star WArs

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
He was "the Galloping Gourmet" until he got sober

> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?
sulphur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?
> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?
copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?
A. Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
Sebastopol?

> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
Hawaii 5-0

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
Sci**tology

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
Karl Marx

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?
TS Eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?
A gaggle, a flock; or only if they're flying, a skein

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
Agatha Christie

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
Purple Heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
Violin

> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
Danish?

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
see #48

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?
bees
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:57:41 PM

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Lagos

: 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

: 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilimanjaro

: 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
: Togoland in 1957

Ghana

: 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?

Thabo Mbeki

: 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

Germany (assuming that you mean the Anne Frank who wrote the famous diary)

: 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

: 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulfur

: 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

Copper

: 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Einstein

: 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

sturgeon

: 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?

Rorke's Drift

: 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

: 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii 5-0

: 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

Scientology (Dianetics, too)

: 48. What is a group of geese called?

a gaggle

: 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

patience

: 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

Patton

: 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

I didn't know that they had nations on the planet Neptune. But she
claims to be from Iceland.

: 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?

Peter Sutliffe (the Yorkshire Ripper was Peter Sutcliffe)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:46:53 PM

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
>
> North York Moors

Nope.

>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
>
> Netherlands

Nope

>> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
>
> The Church of Scientology. And don't let *them* hear you say "cult".

A dog still has four legs even if you call its tail a leg.

>> 48. What is a group of geese called?
>
> Gaggle

Is one of the correct answers.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:05:29 PM

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?

Uruguay

> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?

Brazil

> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in
1966?

> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Lagos

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Mt. Kilimanjaro

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast
and
> Togoland in 1957

Ghana

> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?

Brian Jones

> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick
Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?

Humber Estuary

> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?
> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

Korean

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?

the Galloping Gourmet

> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

sulfur / sulphur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available
commercially?

1960's

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
>
> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in
1867?
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change'
was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii Five-O

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

dianetics

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Vladimir Lenin

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical
Cats
> was based?

Thomas Stearns Eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

gaggle

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi

> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand
National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

George Patton

> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?

Dame Agatha

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

Purple Heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

violin

> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Icelandic

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

literally, "fat goose"

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

what Holmes will keep when he retires to Sussex
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:05:35 PM

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
>
> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957
> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

The Merchant of Venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

World War II

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

Denmark

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
>
> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulphur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?

1960s

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

Copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Al Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii Five-O

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?

Taylor?

> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

Scientology

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Karlo

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?

TS Eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

Gaggle

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi

> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

Patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

Escapes me. Who was "Old Fuss and Feathers"?

> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?

Poe

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

Purple Heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

Goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

Bees

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:10:08 PM

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> : 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
>
> Lagos

Nope. Unless it's changed again, which happens.

I've made a resolution to never again ask a question about city
populations. Nobody can agree what 'city' means.

> : 48. What is a group of geese called?
>
> a gaggle

One of the correct, answers, yes.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:13:24 PM

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
>
> Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
> Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
> Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars

Incidentally, what kind of thought process leads to typing all of that
instead of just typing "Star Wars"?

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:27:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?

uruguay

> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?

brazil

> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?

linaker

> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?

never have

> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in
1966?

pickles

> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

cairo

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

kilimanjaro

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast
and
> Togoland in 1957

> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?

mbeki

> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick
Buckler?

jam
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?

humber

> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?

scilly
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?

north york moors

> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?

berkshire

> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?

lord mayor of london

> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?

pig

> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

merchant of venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

ww11

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

holland

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

salman rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?

going straight

> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

star wars

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?

kenneth williams

> 29. Who presents Big Brother?

davina mccall

> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?

> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

sulphur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available
commercially?

1960

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?

crimea - cant remember name

> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in
1867?

dr barnardo

> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

marie-antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?

queen mary

> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change'
was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?

> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?

reith

> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

scientologist

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?

windscale

> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?

bevin

> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

lenin

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical
Cats
> was based?

t s eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

skein

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand
National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?

jaguar mk ii

> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?

agathaa christie

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

purple heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

violin

> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

icelandic

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?

peter sutcliffe - god youre gonna get some cranks coming back on this

> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

bees

> --
> Keith Willoughby
> Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:45:08 PM

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
>
> never have

Nope.

>> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
>
> north york moors

No. Popular answer, though. I'm going to have to check this now.

OK, my answer is correst, but the answer is no longer correct.

ObTrivia: As of 2003, which is Britain's biggest National Park by area?

>> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
>
> berkshire

Nope.

>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
>
> holland

Nope.

>> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
>

> going straight

I'm going straight, I am, straight as an arrar.

Yup.

>> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
>
> crimea - cant remember name

Nope. Wrong war.

>> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
>
> queen mary

Nope. Close, though :)

ObTrivia: According to a possibly apocryphal story, what was the Queen
Mary originally going to be called, and why did it become Queen Mary?

>> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
>
> bevin

Close, but no.

>> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
>
> lenin

Nope

>> 48. What is a group of geese called?
>
> skein

And that's the other correct answer!

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87vfh01cr9.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
>
> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Nairobi

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilimanjaro

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957
> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?

The guy who doesn't believe HIV caused AIDS.

> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?

Brian Jones

> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?

Richard Cliff?

> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

Merchant Of Venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

WWII

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

the Netherlands

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salmon Rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
>
> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulf[ph]ur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?

1950s

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Albert Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?

Michael Jackson?

> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii 5-0

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

Scientology

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Karl Marx

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?

t. s. eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

skein (in flight), gaggle (on land)

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

purple heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

violin

> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Swedish

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

bees

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

The Merchant of Venice.

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

World War II.

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie.

> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars I-VI.

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available
> commercially?

70s?

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Einstein?

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Roe?

> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Marx.

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the
> musical Cats was based?

T. S. Eliot.

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

A flock? Sounds too easy to be correct.

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi?

> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?

Mysterious...Christie.

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

The Purple Heart.

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

A (single-stringed, by legend) violin.

> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

Goose.

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

Bees.

Haran
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:10:44 PM

Haran Pilpel wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available
>> commercially?
>
> 70s?

Nope.

>> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
>
> Roe?

No. Caviare is roe.

>> 48. What is a group of geese called?
>
> A flock? Sounds too easy to be correct.

God, I forgot about this question. There are at least two correct
answers, depending on where the geese are. Flock may well be correct,
but it isn't either of the two I accepted.

Restr correct.

--

In rec.games.trivia Haran Pilpel <haranp@zahav.net.il> wrote:

:> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
:
: World War II.

Speaking of Catch-22, here's a question about the novel to which I don't
know the answer. One of the characters in the novel is Chaplain Tappman.
I happened to come across a copy of a British paperback reprint of the
novel, and the character's name has been changed to Chaplain *Shipman*.
As far as I can tell, that was the only character whose name was changed.
Does anyone have any idea why?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
The gardener plants an evergreen whilst trampling on a flower. . .
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:40:04 PM

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
> > 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
>
> Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
> Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
> Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars

Well, if you're going to go that route, you should call the first one
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

And I think Episode II was called Attack of the Clones (and not the
more appropriate Why Did I Spend Money on This Film.)

Haran
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:40:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
> > Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
> > Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars

Haran Pilpel:
> Well, if you're going to go that route, you should call the first one
> Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Nope. That was not the original title.

> And I think Episode II was called Attack of the Clones

Oops, right.
--
Mark Brader "Those who do not know USENET
Toronto are doomed to repeat each other."

"Matthew Newell" <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in message

> > 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
>

> never have

There was one year in which all four home countries played in the finals. I
think it was 1958 in Sweden. Wales didn't qualify, though. They got in
because one of the qualifying teams (Israel, I believe, but I might be wrong
there) either had to withdraw or were thrown out.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:45:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
Uruguay
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
Brazil
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
1954?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
Pickles

> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
Cairo
> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
Ethiopia
> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
Kilimanjaro
> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957
Ghana
> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
Brian Jones
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
The Jam
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
Harry Webb
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
New Order

> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
Humber
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
Scilly Isles
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
Cairngorms?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
Norfolk
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
Lord Mayor

> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?
The Merchant of Venice
> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
WWII
> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
Netherlands
> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?
Salman Rushdie
> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
Going Straight
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
Star Wars
> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
Kenneth Williams
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
Divina Macall
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
The Galloping Gourmet?

> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?
Sulphur
> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?
1960s
> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?
Copper
> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?
Einstein
> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
Balaclava?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
Barnardo
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
A liner. Queen Elizabeth?
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
Macmillan

> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
Hawaii-5-0
> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
Scientology
> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
Windscale
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
Bevan
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
Marx
> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?
TS Elliot
> 48. What is a group of geese called?
Gaggle?
> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
Taxi?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
Patience? Tolerance?
> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
Aldaniti
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
Patton?
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
Jaguar
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
Agatha Cristie?
> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
Purple Heart?
> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
Icelandic
> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
Peter Sutcliffe
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
Duck?
> 60. What would you find in an apiary?
Bees
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:00:26 PM

"harry" <harry@hrsnospamx.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Matthew Newell" <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in message
>

> > > 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> >

> > never have
> >

> There was one year in which all four home countries played in the finals.
> think it was 1958 in Sweden. Wales didn't qualify, though. They got in
> because one of the qualifying teams (Israel, I believe, but I might be
wrong
> there) either had to withdraw or were thrown out.

yeah I checked it was 1958 - but I was answering with the usual instructions
in mind -
"assume you're in a welsh pub" and I'm a Londoner through and through so I
would be
honour-bound to say "never" and then express amazement that they ever made
it to finals

matthew newell
(Still bitter that ryan giggs plays for wales)
July 7, 2004 4:23:15 PM

"Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> > 48. What is a group of geese called?
>
> skein (in flight), gaggle (on land)
>
> > 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
> > 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
>
> patience
>
> > 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand
National?
> > 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
> > 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> > 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
> > 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
>
> purple heart
>
> > 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
>
> violin
>
> > 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
>
> Swedish
>
> > 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> > 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

July 7, 2004 4:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
> In article <87vfh01cr9.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> > 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
>
> Richard Cliff?

Harry Webb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:09:11 PM

Errol Cavit wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

>> > crimea - cant remember name
>>
>> Nope. Wrong war.
>
> I'm semi-guessing Zulu War. Now if I could only remember the names of the
> battles. Iswalanda?

Right war, wrong battle :)

> 1972?
>> >
>> > queen mary
>>
>> Nope. Close, though :)
>>
>> ObTrivia: According to a possibly apocryphal story, what was the Queen
>> Mary originally going to be called, and why did it become Queen Mary?
>>

> Vicky, because the man from Cunard used sloppy phrasing.

Aye. "greatest Queen".

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:09:40 PM

harry wrote:

> "Matthew Newell" <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>> > 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
>>

>> never have
>>

> There was one year in which all four home countries played in the finals. I
> think it was 1958 in Sweden.

Correct. Knocked out by a goal from a 17-year old Pele.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:12:42 PM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87vfh01cr9.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
>
> Nairobi

Nope.

>> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
>
> Richard Cliff?

Nope

>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
>
> the Netherlands

Nope.

>> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?
>
> 1950s

Nope. I believe it was developed in the late 50s, but not available
commercially until the 60s.

>> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
>
> Michael Jackson?

<snort>

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:12:55 PM

harry wrote:

> "Marc Dashevsky" <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
>> In article <87vfh01cr9.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> > 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
>>
>> Richard Cliff?
>>

> Harry Webb

Yup

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?

Uruguay

> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?

Brazil

> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?

Lineker?

> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?

1954

> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in
> 1966?

Pickles

> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Jo'Burg?

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
Ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
Kilimanjaro

> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?

Brian Jones

> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick
> Buckler?

The Jam

> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?

Harry Webb

> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?

Joy D^H^H^H^H^HNew Order

> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?

Humber?

> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?

Isles of Scilly

> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?

Snowdonia?

> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?

Lord Mayor

> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?

Merch of Ven

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

WWII

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

Austria?

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie

> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?

Going Straight

> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?

Kenneth Williams

> 29. Who presents Big Brother?

Davina

> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?

The Galloping Gourmet

> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?
Sulphur

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available
> commercially?

1960s?

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

Copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Albert

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Sturgeon

> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?

Sevastapol?

> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?

Barnardo

> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?

The let them eat cake woman. Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?

The Queen Mary. Or maybe Elizabeth

> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?

Macmillan

> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii 5-0

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?

Lord Reith

> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

$cientology

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?

Windscale

> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?

Nye Bevan

> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?

Marx

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?

TS Eliot

> 48. What is a group of geese called?

Gaggle

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi?

> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

Patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
Aldaniti

> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

Patton?

> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?

Jag

> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
Purper Heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

Violin

> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Icelandic

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?

Peter Sutcliffe

> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

Goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

Bees
--
Gareth Owen
People look ridiculous when they're in ecstasy.

Stewart Houten wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:45:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 1954?

Nope.

>> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> Cairngorms?

It is now. It wasn't then.

>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
> Netherlands

Nope.

>> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> Balaclava?

Nope.

>> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
> Duck?

Nope

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:27:19 PM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>

>> World Cup
>> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
>> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?

Brazil (Just skipped this category before)

>> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
>> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
>> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge
>> in 1966?
>>
>> Africa
>> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Cairo

>> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

>> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilimanjaro

>> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold
>> Coast and Togoland in 1957

Ghana

>> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>>
>> Music
>> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
>> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
>> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick
>> Buckler?
>> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
>> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
>> Motion in 1990?
>>
>> British Geography
>> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
>> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
>> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
>> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
>> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>>
>> Books
>> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
>> Blandings?
>> Films & TV
>> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?

Groats :)

>> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

>> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
>> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
>> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
>>
>> History
>> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
>> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney
>> in 1867?
>> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January
>> 1972?
>> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of
>> change' was
>> blowing through the continent of Africa?
>>
>> General Knowledge
>> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
>> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
>> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand
>> National?
>> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

Patton?

> Escapes me. Who was "Old Fuss and Feathers"?
>
>> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
>> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
>> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Swedish

>> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:32:09 PM

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
>
> 1954

Tsk tsk.

>> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
>
> Jo'Burg?

Nope

>> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
>
> Snowdonia?

Nope

>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
>
> Austria?

Nope.

>> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
>
> Sevastapol?

No

>> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
>
> The let them eat cake woman. Marie Antoinette

She actually said "Let them eat Pot Noodle", you know.

>> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
>
> The Queen Mary. Or maybe Elizabeth

Latter

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:45:47 PM

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:45:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> Sebastopol?

No

>> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
> Danish?

Nope

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:09:08 PM

The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
Uruguay
> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
Brazil
> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
Bobby Charlton?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
Pickles

> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
Cairo?
> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
Ethiopia
> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
Kilimanjaro
> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
> Togoland in 1957
Ghana
> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
Thabo Mbeki

> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
Brian Jones or something like that
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
Harry Webb
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
> Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
Humber?
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
>
> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
> Blandings?
Pig
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the money lender?
Merchant of Venice
> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
World War II
> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
Germany
> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?
Rushdie
> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?
Star Wars?
> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
>
> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?
Sulphur
> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made available commercially?
70's?
> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?
Copper
> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?
Einstein
> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
Thomas Barnardos
> 38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
Marie Antoinette
> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
Queen Elizabeth the ship
> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
> blowing through the continent of Africa?
Smuts?

> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
Scientoligists
> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
Marx
> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
> was based?
TS Eliot
> 48. What is a group of geese called?
Gaggle
> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
Taxi?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
Patton
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
Purple Heart
> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?
Violin?
> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
Swedish?
> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
Peter Sutcliffe
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
Duck
> 60. What would you find in an apiary?
Bees
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:15:41 PM

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
>
> Lagos

Maybe :)

>> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?
>
> Korean

Nope

>> 46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
>
> Vladimir Lenin

Nope. Or, he might have, but it wasn't original to him.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:16:29 PM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
>
> Denmark

No

>> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
>
> Taylor?

No

rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:32:08 PM

Keith Willoughby and I (Mark Brader) wrote:
>>> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

>> Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
>> Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
>> Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars

> Incidentally, what kind of thought process leads to typing all of that
> instead of just typing "Star Wars"?

The thought process that it's time to show off -- rather spoiled since
I got one of the titles wrong. The question asked "which film", but as
far as I know, all of them used the phrase in their opening crawl, so
"Star Wars" is only one of 5 (so far) correct answers.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | sed -e "s;??\\([-=(/)'<!>]\\);?\\\\?\\1;g"
msb@vex.net | will fix them... -- Karl Heuer

July 7, 2004 9:29:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Cairo?

7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?

Ethiopia

8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilamanjaro?

9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
Togoland in 1957

Ghana

27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

Star Wars

Science and Nature
31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulf(ph)ur?

33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?

Copper

34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Einstein

35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Sturgeon

41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?

Hawaii 5-0

43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?

Scientology (but then, by that reasoning, Catholicism is a cult, too, isn't
it?)

49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?

Taxi?

52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?

Patton

55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?

Purple Heart

56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini most famous for playing?

Violin

57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Sweden?

59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

Ducks (Quite barbaric, too...)

60. What would you find in an apiary?

Bees
----
"I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right. Nobody
does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came along."
--Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever Jeopardy!
champion
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:20:09 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:16:10 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> Stewart Houten wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:45:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> >> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
> > 1954?
>
> Nope.

1958

> >> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
> > Cairngorms?

Lake District?

> It is now. It wasn't then.
>
> >> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?
> > Netherlands
>
> Nope.

Germany?

> >> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> > Balaclava?
>
> Nope.
>
> >> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
> > Duck?

Thought it was waterfowl of some sort. Goose?

> Nope
>
> Rest correct.

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:26:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> Matthew Newell wrote:
>

> >> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
> >
> > crimea - cant remember name
>
> Nope. Wrong war.

I'm semi-guessing Zulu War. Now if I could only remember the names of the
battles. Iswalanda?

> >> 39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January
1972?

> > queen mary
>
> Nope. Close, though :)
>
> ObTrivia: According to a possibly apocryphal story, what was the Queen
> Mary originally going to be called, and why did it become Queen Mary?

Vicky, because the man from Cunard used sloppy phrasing.

--
Errol Cavit | errolGEEcee@hotmail.com | It is currently fashionable to speak
of the histories of a nation, as if there are many versions of national

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> World Cup
> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?

England

> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?

Germany

> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup
> Finals?
> 4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World
> Cup finals?
> 5. What was the name of the dog that found the
> World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
>
> Africa
> 6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?

Cairo

> 7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in
> 1993?

Ethiopia

> 8. What is Africa's highest mountain?

Kilimanjaro

> 9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from
> the Gold Coast and Togoland in 1957

Ghana

> 10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
>
> Music
> 11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best
> man?

George Harrison

> 13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce
> Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
> 14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
> 15. Which band collaborated with the England football
> squad on World In Motion in 1990?
>
> British Geography
> 16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
> 17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which
> island group?

Scilly?

> 18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park,
> by area?
> 19. In which county is the Royal Residence of
> Sandringham?
> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House,
> in London?

Mayor

> Books
> 21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The
> Empress of Blandings?
> 22. In which Shakespeare play would you find Shylock the
> money lender?

Merchant of Venice

> 23. In which war is Catch-22 set?

WWII

> 24. In which country was Anne Frank born?

Netherlands

> 25. Who wrote The Satanic Verses?

Salman Rushdie

> Films & TV
> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
> 27. Which film was set "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far
> away"?

Star Wars (A New Hope)

> 28. In Carry On Up The Khyber, who played The Khasi
> of Kalabar?
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
> 30. How was TV chef Graham Kerr better known?
>
> Science and Nature
> 31. Which element used to be known as brimstone?

Sulfur (or sulphur, if you insist)

> 32. In which decade was the silicon chip first made
> available commercially?

1960s

> 33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which
> element?

copper

> 34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?

Albert Einstein

> 35. From which fish does caviare normally come?

Sturgeon

> History
> 36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which
> battle?

> 37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned
> children in Stepney in 1867?
> 38. What was the name of the
> wife of King Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 39. What was destroyed by
> fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
> 40. Who told
> the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change'
> was blowing through the continent of Africa?

Desmond Tutu

> General Knowledge
> 41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV
> show?

Hawaii 5-0

> 42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
> 43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron
> Hubbard?

Scientology

> 44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear
> power station?
> 45. In 1948 who, as minister of health,
> introduced the NHS?
> 46. Who described religion as the opium
> of the people?

Karl Marx (if not, then Lenin)

> 47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical
> Cats, on which the musical Cats was based?
> 48. What is a group of geese called?

gaggle

> 49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
> 50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?

patience

> 51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981
> Grand National?
> 52. Which American General was known as 'Old
> Blood and Guts'?
> 53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
> 54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At
> Styles"?
> 55. Which medal is given to American soldiers
> injured in battle?

Purple heart

> 56. Which instrument was Nicolo Paganini
> most famous for playing?
> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?

Swedish?

> 58. What was the real name of the Yorshire Ripper?
> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?

goose

> 60. What would you find in an apiary?

bees

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Star Wars; Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars
>>> Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom
>>> Menace; and Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars
>
>> Incidentally, what kind of thought process leads to typing all of that
>> instead of just typing "Star Wars"?
>
> The thought process that it's time to show off

Ok, just checking.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:57:39 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>> 26. What was the name of the spin-off of Porridge?
>
> Groats :)

No.

>>> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
>
> Swedish

No.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:59:25 AM

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
>
> Ducks (Quite barbaric, too...)

No, and yes.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:01:03 AM

hitesh wrote:

> The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:
>> 3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals?
> Bobby Charlton?

No
>> 40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
>> blowing through the continent of Africa?
> Smuts?

No.
>> 59. Foie Gras is made from the liver of which animal?
> Duck

No

rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:02:20 AM

Stewart Houten wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:16:10 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> Stewart Houten wrote:

>> > 1954?
>>
>> Nope.
>
> 1958

Yup

>> > Cairngorms?
>
> Lake District?

Yup

>> It is now. It wasn't then.

>> > Netherlands
>>
>> Nope.
>
> Germany?

Yup

>> > Duck?
>
> Thought it was waterfowl of some sort. Goose?

Yup

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:26:34 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Who was "Old Fuss and Feathers"?

Winfield Scott

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Dan Tilque wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>

>>Who was "Old Fuss and Feathers"?
>
> Winfield Scott

Bingo!

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:22:11 PM

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> World Cup
>> 1. Which country won the first World Cup?
>
> England

Nope

>> 2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
>
> Germany

Nope

>> 12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best
>> man?
>
> George Harrison

Nope.

>> 20. Whose official residence is Mansion House,
>> in London?
>
> Mayor

Almost.

> Netherlands

Nope

>> 40. Who told
>> the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change'
>> was blowing through the continent of Africa?
>
> Desmond Tutu

No

>> 57. What nationality is the singer Bjork?
>
> Swedish?

Nope

rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:24:35 PM

Rob Parker wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> Rest correct.
>>

> And the post he was replying to contained:
> <quote>
>> 29. Who presents Big Brother?
>
> davina mccall
> <end quote>
>
> Sadly, the question is incomplete.

No, it isn't.

> "Gretel Killeen" is the correct answer here in Oz.

"assume a pub quiz in Wales"

> [The question of why anyone bothers to watch such unreality TV
> programs is beyond me!]

Pleasure. HTH.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:19:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
<snip>
> Rest correct.

And the post he was replying to contained:
<quote>
> 29. Who presents Big Brother?

davina mccall
<end quote>

Sadly, the question is incomplete. "Gretel Killeen" is the correct answer
here in Oz.
[The question of why anyone bothers to watch such unreality TV programs is
beyond me!]

Rob
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:00:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

World Cup
1. Which country won the first World Cup?
Uruguay
2. Which country has won the most World Cups?
Brazil (4) (5 now, though)
3. Who has scored the most goals for England in World Cup Finals
Gary Lineker (10)
4. In which year did Wales last appear in the World Cup finals?
1958
5. What was the name of the dog that found the World Cup in a hedge in 1966?
Pickles
Africa
6. Which is the most populated city in Africa?
Cairo. Maybe.
7. From which country did Eritrea gain its independence in 1993?
Ethiopia
8. What is Africa's highest mountain?
Kilimanjaro
9. Which current country, capital Accra, was formed from the Gold Coast and
Togoland in 1957
Ghana
10. Who is the current President of South Africa?
Thabo Mbeki
Music
11. Which ex-member of the Rolling Stones drowned in 1969?
Brian Jones
12. When Ringo Starr married Maureen Cox, who was the best man?
Brian Epstein
13. Which band was comprised of Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton, and Rick Buckler?
The Jam
14. What is Cliff Richard's real name?
Harry Webb
15. Which band collaborated with the England football squad on World In
Motion in 1990?
New Order
British Geography
16. Which is the longest suspension bridge in the UK?
Humber Bridge
17. St. Mary's and Tresco are the two largest of which island group?
Scillies
18. Which is Britain's biggest National Park, by area?
Lake District
19. In which county is the Royal Residence of Sandringham?
Norfolk
20. Whose official residence is Mansion House, in London?
The Lord Mayor of London
Books
21. In the Blandings novels of PG Wodehouse, what was The Empress of
Blandings?
A pig
[...]
1960s (invented 1959)
33. Cu is the atomic symbol of which element?
Copper
34. Who came up with the Special Theory of Relativity?
Albert Einstein
35. From which fish does caviare normally come?
Sturgeon
History
36. In January 1879, 11 Victoria Crosses were won at which battle?
Rorke's Drift
37. Who opened his first shelter for abandoned children in Stepney in 1867?
Dr. Thomas Barnado
38. What was the name of the wife of King Louis XVI of France?
Marie Antoinette
39. What was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbour on 9th January 1972?
The Queen Elizabeth
40. Who told the parliament in Cape Town in 1960 that a 'wind of change' was
blowing through the continent of Africa?
Harold MacMillan
General Knowledge
41. The phrase "Book 'em Danno" is associated with which TV show?
Hawaii Five-oh
42. Who was the first Director-General of the BBC?
Lord (John) Reith
43. Which cult was formed by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard?
Church of Scientology
44. What was the former name of Sellafield nuclear power station?
Windscale
45. In 1948 who, as minister of health, introduced the NHS?
Aneurin Bevan
46. Who described religion as the opium of the people?
Karl Marx?
47. Who wrote Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats, on which the musical Cats
was based?
TS Eliot
48. What is a group of geese called?
Gaggle
49. Which TV sitcom featured the Sunshine Cab Company?
Taxi
50. In the Bible, which virtue was Job famous for?
Patience
51. Which horse did Bob Champion ride to victory in the 1981 Grand National?
Aldaniti
52. Which American General was known as 'Old Blood and Guts'?
George Patton
53. Which make of car did Inspector Morse drive?
Jaguar
54. Whose first novel was "The Myterious Affair At Styles"?
Agathe Christie
55. Which medal is given to American soldiers injured in battle?
Purple Heart
56. Which instrument was Nicola Paganini most famous for playing?
Violin

!