Pub Quiz - 20020821

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Geography
1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?
2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule bridge?
3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?
7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin
9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?
10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
Birmingham?

Literature
11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon Dunphy?
12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
what to do?
14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe
15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
Mole?
18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
Lochnagar?
20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
the story The Final Problem?

TV and Film
21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
Farewell, and Amen?
22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain called
Servalan?
24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
Reagan?
26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?
27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?
28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
Dracula?
29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane

General Knowledge

31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
Da Vinci drawings?
33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
English?
34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
design?
36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
flight?
37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
name?
38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?
39. Against which county did Brian Lara make his first-class record of
501 runs?
40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
from Italy?

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Keith Willoughby writes:
> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?

The Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule bridge?

Tower Bridge

> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?

Dublin

> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?

Italy

> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

Malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?

Italy

> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

Africa

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?

Geneva (Leman)

> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?

Manchester

> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon Dunphy?
> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
> what to do?

The old woman who lived in a shoe

> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe

Nineteen Eighty-Four

> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?

Oliver Twist

> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?
> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?
> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?

Moriarty

> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?

M*A*S*H, and it was two and a half hours.

> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?

Boeing 747

> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain called
> Servalan?
> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
> Reagan?

Jodie Foster

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

Warren Beatty

> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

Paul Newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
> Dracula?

Bela Lugosi

> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?

Colorado

> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?
> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?

Tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?

Eggs

> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?

France

> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?

Victoria

> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

7, usually. 8 if you count J in antique forms like viij.

> 39. Against which county did Brian Lara make his first-class record of
> 501 runs?
> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
> from Italy?

20th
--
Mark Brader "One might as well complain about the Sun
Toronto rising in the daytime instead of at night,

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?

Cannonball Express

> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule bridge?
> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

Malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?

Italy (northwest coast).

> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

Afrika

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?
> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?

Glasgow

> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon Dunphy?
> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
> what to do?

The old woman who lived in a shoe

> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe

1984

> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?
> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?
> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?
>
> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain called
> Servalan?
> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
> Reagan?

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?
> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

Paul Newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
> Dracula?

Lon Chaney

> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?

California

> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?

Bill Gates

> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?

Tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?
> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?

France (Paris)

> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?
> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

Seven: I, V, X, L, C, D, M

> 39. Against which county did Brian Lara make his first-class record of
> 501 runs?
> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
> from Italy?

Nineteenth?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?

I'm guessing that it's the Chattanooga Choo-choo

: 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?

Dublin

: 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?

Italy

: 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

Malaysia

: 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?

The Etruscans lived in what is now Italy.

: 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

Africa

: 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?

Lake Geneva

: 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
: Birmingham?

Liverpool

: 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
: what to do?

The lady who lived in a shoe

: 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe

1984

: 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?

Brideshead

: 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?

David Copperfield

: 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
: Mole?

The Public Diary of Adrian Mole

: 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?

Exmoor

: 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
: Lochnagar?

HRH Prince Charles

: 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
: the story The Final Problem?

Professor Moriarty

: 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?

The Concorde. Although when the film was released originally, it was
called Airport 79 -- I guess they waited a year to release it in Britain.

: 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?

The Wacky Races

: 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
: Reagan?

Jodie Foster

: 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

Warren Beatty

: 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

Paul Newman

: 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
: Dracula?

Bela Lugosi

: 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane

Alan Ladd

: 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?

California

: 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
: Da Vinci drawings?

The Vatican?

: 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
: English?

Tin

: 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
: flight?

France

: 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
: name?

Victoria

: 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

Seven

: 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
: from Italy?

20th (by the Lateran Treaty of 1929)

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"A condemned man does not request egg salad for his last meal. He also
doesn't order Alka-Seltzer."
Kehlog Ahlbran, _The Profit_

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> Geography
>> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
>> Birmingham?
>
> Manchester

Nope.

>> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
>
> Oliver Twist

Nope.

>> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
>> the story The Final Problem?
>
> Moriarty

I asked this question as "character*s*" in the quiz, but forgot to amend
the original before posting.

>> TV and Film
>> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
>> Farewell, and Amen?
>
> M*A*S*H, and it was two and a half hours.

It was broadcast on BBC 2 in the UK, therefore without adverts. I'm
guessing that makes the difference. (IIRC, it's 6 minutes per half-hour)

>> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
>
> Boeing 747

Nope.

>> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
>
> Colorado

Not unless you know something I don't, no.

--

Keith Willoughby and I (Mark Brader) wrote:
>>> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
>>
>> Oliver Twist
>
> Nope.

Oops, I meant David Copperfield. I've read it and I haven't read the
other one! Sheesh!

>>> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach
>>> Waterfall in the story The Final Problem?
>>
>> Moriarty
>
> I asked this question as "character*s*" in the quiz, but forgot to amend
> the original before posting.

To make it wrong, that is?

>>> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
>>
>> Colorado
>
> Not unless you know something I don't, no.

Silly of me, again. I thought of California first and then said
"No, you're being confused by the Golden Gate, it's somewhere else."
I now realize it was the other way around -- I was being confused by
the the town of Golden, Colorado.
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Moriarty
>>
>> I asked this question as "character*s*" in the quiz, but forgot to amend
>> the original before posting.
>
> To make it wrong, that is?

AIUI, Holmes died, and then in a different trouser of time, was made
alive again.

--

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in
1880?

> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule
bridge?

Tower bridge

> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?

australia

> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?

dublin

> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?

france

> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?

italy

> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

africa

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?

lac leman

> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?

glasgow

> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon
Dunphy?

roy keene

> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't
know
> what to do?
> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In
Europe

1984

> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?

brideshead

> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?

the growing pains of ..

> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?

dartmoor

> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?

hrh chuck

> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach
Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?

holmes and moriaty

> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?

jumbo 747-400

> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain
called
> Servalan?

and a computer called zen - blakes seven

> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?

whacky races

> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting
Ronald
> Reagan?

jodie foster

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

warren beaty

> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

paul newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when
playing
> Dracula?
> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?

yale? bill gates

> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?

tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?

gillie

> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?

eggs

> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?

ireland

> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?

> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

ivxlcdm -7

> 39. Against which county did Brian Lara make his first-class record of
> 501 runs?

> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
> from Italy?

it was pretty indepedent in the 12th/13th

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote...
>> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
>
> dartmoor

Nope

>> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
>
> jumbo 747-400

Nope.

>> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
>> Da Vinci drawings?
>
> yale? bill gates

Neither.

>> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
>> flight?
>
> ireland

Nope

>> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
>> from Italy?
>>

> it was pretty indepedent in the 12th/13th

"finally", i.e. for the last time.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:58:01 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?
The Chatanooga Choo-choo?

> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
France?

> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?
Malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
Greece

> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin
Africa

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?
Lake Geneva?

> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
> what to do?
Old Mother Hubard

> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
David Copperfield

> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?
Professor Moriarty

Well, Sherlock Holmes supposedly did, too, but he didn't really.

> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
MASH

> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
an SST (did they identify it as the Concorde? I don't remember.

> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
Wacky Race then The Adventures of Penelope Pitstop

> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
> Reagan?
Jody Foster

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?
Warren Beatty

> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?
Paul Newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
> Dracula?
Bela Lugosi

> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
Alan Ladd

> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
California?

> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?
tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
ghillie?

> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?
eggs

> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?
France

> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?
7 if you go up to a thousand, I don't know if theres one higher than
that

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> : 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
>
> Italy

Correct. I think I said France was correct in another reply, but that
was just carelessness.

> : 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
>
> The Etruscans lived in what is now Italy.

Er. Yes. Are you now correcting me on pretty tenuous grammatical
grounds?

> : 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> : Birmingham?
>
> Liverpool

Nope.

> : 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> : Mole?
>
> The Public Diary of Adrian Mole

No.

> : 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> : Da Vinci drawings?
>
> The Vatican?

Nope.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in
1880?
> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule
bridge?
> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?

France

> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

Malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

Africa

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?
> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?
>
> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon
Dunphy?
> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't
know
> what to do?

The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe

> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In
Europe
> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?
> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?
> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach
Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?

both Sherlock Holmes and James Moriarty

> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain
called
> Servalan?
> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting
Ronald
> Reagan?

Jodie Foster

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

Warren Beatty

> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

Paul Newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when
playing
> Dracula?

Bela Lugosi

> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane

Alan Ladd

> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?

California

> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?
> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?

tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?
> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?

France

> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?

Victoria

> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

seven

: Richard Schultz wrote:

:> : 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
:>
:> The Etruscans lived in what is now Italy.
:
: Er. Yes. Are you now correcting me on pretty tenuous grammatical
: grounds?

No, I was just making sure that it wasn't a trick question ("Ha, ha,
the Etruscans don't live in *any* modern country").

:> : 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
:> : Birmingham?
:>
:> Liverpool
:
: Nope.

I misread the question as referring to England, because Birmingham *is* the
third most populated city in the UK after London and Glasgow. I assume
that Glasgow is the answer you were looking for.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87r7ro1c6u.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?
> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule bridge?
> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?

Malaysia

> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?

Italy

> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin

Africa

> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?

Geneva

> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?

Manchester

> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon Dunphy?
> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
> what to do?

the old lady who lived in a shoe

> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe

1984

> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?
> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?
> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?

Sherlock Holmes

> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain called
> Servalan?
> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
> Reagan?

Jody Foster

> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?

Warren Beatty

> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?

Paul Newman

> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
> Dracula?

Lon Chaney

> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?

California

> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?

The Vatican

> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?

tin

> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?
> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?

France

> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?
> 38. How many letters of the alphabet are used as Roman Numerals?

7: ivxlcdm

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:58:01 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Geography
> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?
> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule bridge?
Tower Bridge
> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
Dublin?
> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
France?
> 6. Which country's capital is Kuala Lumpur?
Malaysia
> 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
Italy?
> 8. In which continent is the Republic of Benin
Africa
> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?
Geneva
> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> Birmingham?
Manchester
> Literature
> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon Dunphy?
> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
> 13. According to the nursery rhyme, who had so many children she didn't know
> what to do?
Shoe dwelling old woman
> 14. Which George Orwell novel was originally titled The Last Man In Europe
1984?
> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
David Copperfield
> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of Adrian
> Mole?
The Growing Pains of AM?
> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
> Lochnagar?
> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach Waterfall in
> the story The Final Problem?
Holmes
> TV and Film
> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called Goodbye,
> Farewell, and Amen?
> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?
Concorde
> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain called
> Servalan?
> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?
Wacky Races
> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting Ronald
> Reagan?
Jodie Foster
> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?
Warren Beatty
> 27. Which film star, born in 1925, has his own range of salad dressing?
Paul Newman
> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
> Dracula?
> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
Butler
> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
Alan Ladd

> General Knowledge
>
> 31. Which of the US states is known as the Golden State?
California
> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
> Da Vinci drawings?
> 33. Which of the elements has the shortest name in
> English?
Tin
> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
> design?
> 36. In which country did Charles Lindbergh finish his trans-Atlantic
> flight?
France
> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
> name?
Victoria
7

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> : Richard Schultz wrote:
>
> :> : 7. In which modern country did the Etruscans live?
> :>
> :> The Etruscans lived in what is now Italy.
> :
> : Er. Yes. Are you now correcting me on pretty tenuous grammatical
> : grounds?
>
> No, I was just making sure that it wasn't a trick question ("Ha, ha,
> the Etruscans don't live in *any* modern country").

I don't generally do trick questions. I hates em, I does. I won't even
ask questions that start "Who was the first" that have the answer "Nobody".

> :> : 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> :> : Birmingham?
> :>
> :> Liverpool
> :
> : Nope.
>
> I misread the question as referring to England, because Birmingham *is* the
> third most populated city in the UK after London and Glasgow.

Birmingham is the second most populated city. Around the million mark,
IIRC.

> I assume that Glasgow is the answer you were looking for.

Yes. Half a million or so.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> :> : 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
:> :> : Birmingham?

:> :> Liverpool

:> : Nope.

:> I misread the question as referring to England, because Birmingham *is* the
:> third most populated city in the UK after London and Glasgow.

: Birmingham is the second most populated city. Around the million mark, IIRC.

Not according to http://www.world-gazeteer.com, which lists the cities of
the UK by population and has them in the order London, Glasgow, Birmingham.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
There's something I must tell you, there's something I must say:
The only really perfect love is one that gets away.

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87r7ro1c6u.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
>> Birmingham?
>
> Manchester

Nope

>> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
>> Dracula?
>
> Lon Chaney

Nope

>> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
>> Da Vinci drawings?
>
> The Vatican

Nope.

Of course, I'm wondering about this question now.

Rest correct.

--

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Geography
>> 1. Which famous American train first ran from Ohio to Tennessee in 1880?
>
> Cannonball Express

Nope

>> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
>> Dracula?
>
> Lon Chaney

Nope. If I marked this correct in another entry, it was another cock-up.

>> 32. Who owns the world's largest collection of Leonardo
>> Da Vinci drawings?
>
> Bill Gates

Nope. Unless he does, of course.

>> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
>> from Italy?
>
> Nineteenth?

Nope.

--

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> 40. In which century was the Vatican State finally given independence
>>> from Italy?
>>
>>Nineteenth?
>
> Nope.

Twentieth then.

--

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>
>>> 28. Which actor died in 1956, and was buried in the cape he wore when playing
>>> Dracula?
>>
>>Lon Chaney
>
> Nope. If I marked this correct in another entry, it was another cock-up.

No, I don't recall it from a previous quiz. But I'll bet the answer is...
Bela Lugosi

--Jeff

--

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>> Geography
>> 2. Which one of the bridges over the Thames in London is a bascule
>> bridge?
>> 3. In which country is the Gabba test cricket ground?
>> 4. In which European capital city is Connolly railway station?
>> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
>> 9. On which lake does the Swiss city of Lausanne stand?

10. BTW, Glasgow was one of the first four cities in the world to
have a subway.

>> Literature
>> 11. Who is about to release an auto-biography co-written with Eamon
>> Dunphy?
>> 12. Which famous Cornish novellist died in 1989 at the age of 81?
>> 15. What is the name of the mansion in Brideshead Revisited?
>> 16. Which Charles Dickens novel features Peggoty and Mr Micawber?
>> 17. What was the title of the first sequel to the Secret Diary of
>> Adrian Mole?
>> 18. Which moor is the setting for Lorna Doone?
>> 19. Who appeared on Jackanory reading his own story, The Old Man of
>> Lochnagar?
>> 20. Which literary character died in a fall over the Reichenbach
>> Waterfall in the story The Final Problem?
>>
>> TV and Film
>> 21. Which TV show's final episode was a two-hour special called
>> Goodbye,
>> Farewell, and Amen?

M*A*S*H

>> 22. Which airplane featured in the film Airport 80?

Concorde

>> 23. Which TV show featured a ship called The Liberator and a villain
>> called Servalan?
>> 24. Before he got his own show, what cartoon was Dick Dastardly in?

The one based on It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - with Penelope
Pitstop, etc.,.

>> 25. Which film star was John Hinkley trying to impress by shooting
>> Ronald Reagan?

Jodi Foster (How come I remembered her name in the other quiz?)

>> 26. Who played the title role in the 1990 film Dick Tracy?
>> 29. What was the surname of Stan in On The Busses?
>> 30. Who played the title role in the 1953 film Shane
>>
>> General Knowledge
>> 34. What name, derived from the Gaelic for 'boy', is given
>> to a Scottish fishing and hunting guide?
>> 35. Traditionally, on what are clowns faces painted to register the
>> design?
>> 37. Which is the only Australian state to have no letter 's' in its
>> name?
>> 39. Against which county did Brian Lara make his first-class record of
>> 501 runs?

--Jeff

--

Stewart Houten wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:58:01 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 5. Which country does the Simplon tunnel connect to Switzerland?
> France?

No

Rest correct.

--

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :> :> : 10. What is the third most populated city in the UK, after London and
> :> :> : Birmingham?
>
> :> :> Liverpool
>
> :> : Nope.
>
> :> I misread the question as referring to England, because Birmingham *is* the
> :> third most populated city in the UK after London and Glasgow.
>
> : Birmingham is the second most populated city. Around the million mark, IIRC.
>
> Not according to http://www.world-gazeteer.com, which lists the cities of
> the UK by population and has them in the order London, Glasgow, Birmingham.

Well, there you go. Define "city". I have no idea where they're getting
1.1m for Glasgow from, unless it's a metropolitan area population (in
which case, Birmingham would be over 2m)

This story from the Scotsman

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=552&id=602852004

says that the population of the city is 577,090

This site

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-facts1.html

had it at 616,430 in 1996, with a heavily downward trend.

Aha. http://www.citypopulation.de/UK-Scotland.html claims 577,869 for
the city and 1,168,270 for the "principal urban areas", and for
Birmingham has 970,892 but 2,284,093 for the "principal urban areas".

Looks like World Gazeteer is mixing and matching numbers.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

: Looks like World Gazeteer is mixing and matching numbers.

Could be -- as I said wrt Lagos vs. Cairo, they are very mysterious about
how they ended up with the numbers they list.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."