Pub Quiz - 20020814

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2004 12:59:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

History
1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
and 26?
6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
1987?
9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
called Black Bess?

Sport
11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
known?
16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
bowls?
19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
1965 and 1966?
20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

TV And Movies
21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

General Knowledge
31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

More about : pub quiz 20020814

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:59:57 PM

Keith Willoughby writes:
> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?

1968?

> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

Probably hypothermia, although drowning would be a possibility

> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

The Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?

Zeebrugge

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?

Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
>
> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

12

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

Football. *Real* football, not soccer.

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077th

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Rocky

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

Jodie Foster again

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?

A Rolls Royce

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?

Black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

Venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

Solving (or creating, I suppose) crossword puzzles

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?

Man

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

The USA, I think. Of course the country associated with the position
was Tibet, now part of China.

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?

Still the Northern Line.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...everything else in [the] list is wrong;
msb@vex.net | why should [this] be correct?" -- Rob Novak

July 7, 2004 12:59:57 PM

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

The Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?

Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
>
> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

Twelve

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

They've been an amateur american football team for years

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

Jodi Foster

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

Playing baccarat

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?

Rolls Royce

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?

Black (or green)

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

Venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

Crossword puzzles

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?

Norway

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

Tibet (China)

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?

Why should anyone care?

> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?

Northern (Got it this time :)  )

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:59:57 PM

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> History
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
Iran

> Sport
>> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Berlin & Garmisch-Partenkirchen

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
Colombia
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
Football.

> TV And Movies

> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
Would this be Rocky?
> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellars

-- Jarmo
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:50:34 PM

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
>
> 1968?

Nope.

>> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
>
> The USA, I think. Of course the country associated with the position
> was Tibet, now part of China.

The current Dalai Lama was born in Tibet.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:11:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?

1977

> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?

sinn fein ?

> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of
11
> and 26?

minor - then miner

> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

titanic??

> 7. A which battle did Davy Crockett die?

alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank
in
> 1987?

zeebruge

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 -
1979?

iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a
horse
> called Black Bess?

dick turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?

m colin cowdrey?

> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?

john lowe

> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?

bodyline

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?

colombian

> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?

wales - grand slams
england - championships

guess
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

17

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in
1964,
> 1965 and 1966?

> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

am football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?

j r hartley

> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?

liverpool

> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

wall street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

jodie foster

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

richard burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

peter sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

crocodile ( alarm clock in belly)

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?

rolls royce

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?

black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

crossword

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?

isle of man

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

tibet

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?

freddie starr

> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
>
> --

northern

> Keith Willoughby
> Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:18:18 PM

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
>
> 1977

Nope

>> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
>
> sinn fein ?

I'm not sure whether he represented Sinn Fein or was an independent.

>> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
>
> wales - grand slams
> england - championships
>
> guess

I rather think it's the other way around. I'm looking for Wales, anyway.

>> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
>> bowls?
>
> 17

Nope

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:25:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of
11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

drowned on the Titanic

> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank
in
> 1987?
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 -
1979?

Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a
horse
> called Black Bess?
>
> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

twelve

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in
1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

(American) football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Chariots of Fire

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

Jodie Foster

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

the croc ate it

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

crossword puzzles

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Pablo Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

ObTrivia: Who said, "It goes without saying that I'd really like to visit
_____"?

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:59:56 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica

> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing

> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?
11?

> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
American Pro Football

> TV And Movies
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
the 4077th

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
Jodie Foster

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellers?

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
The crocodile bit it off

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
the hood of a Rolls Royce

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
Black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
Venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
doing crossword puzzles

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
Tibet
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:03:59 PM

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica
> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
Italy
> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
1973
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
Bobby Sands
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
Was he a coal miner?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
Presumably he was on the Titanic, so it could have been any number of
ways.
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo
> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
Zeebrugge
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
Colin Cowdrey?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Munich
> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing
> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
Bodyline
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
Wales
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?
> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
American Football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
Weatherfield
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
J.R. Hartley
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
Liverpool
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
Rocky
> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
Wall Street
> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
Jodie Foster
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
Rochard Burton
> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
The crocodile bit it off
> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
A Rolls Royce
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
Blue
> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
It's either setting or solving crosswords
> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
Isle of Man
> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
Pablo Picasso
> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
Tibet
> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
Freddie Starr
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
The Northern Line

--
David Brain
London, UK

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:59:56 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica
> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
1973
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
Bobby Sands
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
Titanic?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo
> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
Zebrugge
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
John Lowe
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Berlin
> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing
> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?
12
> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
American Football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
Weatherfield
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
JR Hartley
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
Liverpool
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
Rocky?
> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
Wall Street
> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
Jodie Foster
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
Richard Burton?
> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
RR car
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
Black
> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
Venezuela
> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
Crosswords
> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
Isle of Man
> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
Picasso
> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
Tibet
> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
Freddie Starr
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
Northern Line?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:17:02 PM

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo. (Remember?)

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
Zeebruge

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
Colin Cowdrey

> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
The Bodyline tour

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
A sheer guess: Wales.

> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?
BowLING. 12.

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
(American) Football.

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
J R Hartley

> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
M*A*S*H . 4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
Liverpool

> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
Chariots of Fire

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
It was bitten off by the crocodile

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
Small tablets of dubious origin, usually.

By contrast, The Spirit of Ecstasy used to adorn the bonnets of
Rolls-Royce motorcars.

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
Black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
Venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
Crosswords

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
Douglas, Isle of Mann

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
Pablo Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
Tibet

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
Freddy Star

> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
Northern

Cheers - Ian
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:26:27 PM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
>
> Playing baccarat

No

>> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
>
> Norway

No

>> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
>
> Why should anyone care?

Because "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster" is the most well known example of
British tabloid headlines.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:29:03 PM

David Brain wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:59:56 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> Presumably he was on the Titanic, so it could have been any number of
> ways.

No. He died in exactly the same way that everybody dies - loss of brain
function.

There. I think that's the most pedantic answer to this one.

>> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
> Munich

No

>> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
> Blue

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:48:41 PM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>> History
>> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
>> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
>> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages
>> of 11 and 26?
>> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

Crushed by a subway train?

>> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it
>> sank in 1987?

Poetic Irony

>> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on
>> a horse called Black Bess?
>>
>> Sport
>> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
>> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
>> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of
>> Australia known?
>> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
>> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?

The Iroquois?

>> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in
>> 1964, 1965 and 1966?

That was no horse, that was my ex-wife. :)

>> TV And Movies
>> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
>> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
>> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
>> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
>> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Chariots of Fire

>> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
>> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:50:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Stewart Houten wrote:

All correct. Well done.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:33:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

I've already forgotten.

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

Inhaling sea water somewhere above the Titanic.

> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?

Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
>
> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Munich

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

twelve

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

American football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Rocky

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

The actress that John Hinckley wanted to impress.

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

Croc

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?

black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

Venezula

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

heated arguments?

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Pablo Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

Tibet

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
>
> Chariots of Fire

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <MPG.1b55e1d7490dd3a09899c7@netnews.comcast.net>, usenet@MarcDashevsky.com
says...
> In article <87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> > History
> > 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
>
> Munich

Berlin.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

Well, probably drowning. But he could have died before the Titanic had fully
sunk.

7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

The Alamo

13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

Boxing

16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?

Mexico?

18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
bowls?

12

20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

Football. American football...

24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Rocky

28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

Jodie Foster

31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

The crocodile bit it off

34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

Venezuela

35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

Crossword puzzles
----
"I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right. Nobody
does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came along."
--Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever Jeopardy!
champion
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:21:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?

1979?

> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?

Bobby Sands

> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of
11
> and 26?

Coal miners?

> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank
in
> 1987?

Zeeburge?

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 -
1979?

Iran?

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a
horse
> called Black Bess?

Dick Turpin?

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?

The Bodyline Tour

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?

England?

> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

2 more than the number of standard frames. 12?

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in
1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

American Football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?

Blackpool?

> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?

Jodie Foster

> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?

Croc bit it off?

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?

Rolls Royce car.

> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?

Green?

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?

Isle of Man?

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

Normally Tibet, but was the current one born there, or India?

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?

Northern

--
Errol Cavit | errolGEEcee@hotmail.com | It is currently fashionable to speak
of the histories of a nation, as if there are many versions of national

Errol Cavit wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
>
> 1979?

Nope

>> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
>
> England?

Nope.

>> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
>
> Blackpool?

Nope

>> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
>
> Green?

Nope

>> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
>
> Normally Tibet, but was the current one born there, or India?

It's Tibet, AFAIK.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:40:00 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?

1982?

> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between
> the ages of 11 and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?

Choked to death?

> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail
> when it sank in 1987?
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler
> from 1953 - 1979?

Iran

> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have
> ridden from London to York on a horse called Black Bess?

Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9
> dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world
> champion?

Boxing?

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's
> 1932/33 tour of Australia known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan
> Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations
> rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed
> for a perfect game of 10-pin bowls?

12

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham
> Gold Cup in 1964, 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

American football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation
> Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book
> on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in
> MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black
> Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar
> in 1976?

The Longest Yard?

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch
> was for wimps?
> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in
> Taxi Driver?
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth
> Taylor's Cleopatra?

Richard Burton?

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr.
> Strangelove?

Woody Allen?

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of
> Extacy?
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?

Venezuela

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?

Crosswords

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?

Austria?

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Picasso?

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Jarmo Monttinen wrote:

All correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:49:16 AM

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:59:56 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
>> bowls?
> 11?

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:50:27 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
>
> heated arguments?

No. I can see your thinking, though :)

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:56:18 AM

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
>
> Mexico?

No.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:31:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87d637sa8c.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>
> > In article <87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> >> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
> >
> > heated arguments?
>
> No. I can see your thinking, though :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I couldn't displace "crucible" from my head,
so I never thought of "cross." I did see from someone else's answers
though that I am a cruciverbalist.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 10:53:04 AM

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
>
> 1982?

No

>> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
>
> Choked to death?

Might have.

>> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar
>> in 1976?
>
> The Longest Yard?

No

>> 30. Who played the title role in Dr.
>> Strangelove?
>
> Woody Allen?

No.

>> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
>
> Austria?

Nope. Does sound Austrian, though, doesn't it?

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:16:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> History
> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?

Elba

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?

Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
> and 26?
> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?

The Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
> 1987?
> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
> called Black Bess?
>
> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?

Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?

Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?

Twelve

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?

American Football

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?

4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?

Rocky

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?

Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?

Richard Burton

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?

Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?

Pablo Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?

China/Tibet

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 3:17:35 PM

Glenn C. Rhoads wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87n02c1c3n.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>> History
>> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
>
> Elba

No.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

> 1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica

> 2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
Italy

> 3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
> 4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
> 5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of
11
> and 26?
Coal miner
[WAG 1 - but seems feasible as child labour]

> 6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
> 7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo

> 8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank
in
> 1987?
Zeebrugge

> 9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 -
1979?
> 10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a
horse
> called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin

> Sport
> 11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
Michael Colin Cowdrey

> 12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
> 13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Berlin

> 14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing

> 15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
> known?
Bodyline

> 16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
Columbian

> 17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
> 18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
> bowls?
12

> 19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in
1964,
> 1965 and 1966?
> 20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
Gridiron

> TV And Movies
> 21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
> 22. In which fictional suburb of Manchester is Coronation Street set?
> 23. Who used the Yellow Pages to find his book on fly-fishing?
> 24. What was the number of the MASH unit in MASH?
4077

> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
Newcastle
[WAG 2]

> 26. Which sporting movie won the best picture Oscar in 1976?
Rocky

> 27. In which film did Gordon Gekko say that lunch was for wimps?
Wall Street

> 28. Who starred as a teenage prostitute in Taxi Driver?
> 29. Who played Marc Anthony to Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra?
Richard Burton
[The only possible WAG!]

> 30. Who played the title role in Dr. Strangelove?
Peter Sellers

> General Knowledge
> 31. How did Captain Hook lose his hand?
Bitten off by a crocodile

> 32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Extacy?
> 33. What colour are most of Venice's gondolas?
Black

> 34. Which country's name means 'Little Venice' in English?
Venezuala

> 35. What leisure activity does a cruciverbalist enjoy?
Crossword puzzles

> 36. Where is there a parliament called the Tynwald?
Isle of Man

> 37. Who painted the painting 'Guernica'?
Pablo Picasso

> 38. From which country does the Dalai Lama come?
Tibet

> 39. Who did The Sun claim ate a hamster sandwich?
> 40. Which of the London Underground lines is coloured black on the map?
Northern

Rob
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:13:19 AM

Rob Parker wrote:

>> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> Newcastle
> [WAG 2]

No

Rest correct.

--

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

>> > Newcastle
>> > [WAG 2]
>>
>> No
>
> I appear to have missed this quiz. Anyway, the answer's Liverpool, as in
> "You're that Graeme Souness, aren't ya?"

Aye.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:13:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Rob Parker wrote:
>
> >> 25. Which city was the setting for Boys From The Black Stuff?
> > Newcastle
> > [WAG 2]
>
> No

I appear to have missed this quiz. Anyway, the answer's Liverpool, as in
"You're that Graeme Souness, aren't ya?"
--
Gareth Owen
I shot a query into the net.
I haven't got an answer yet, but seven people gave me hell
And said I ought to learn to spell
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:05:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

History
1. On which island was Napoleon Bonaparte born?
Corsica
2. Which country invaded Ethiopia in 1935?
Italy
3. In which year did the UK join the EEC?
1973
4. Which Member of Parliament starved to death in 1981?
Bobby Sands
5. What was the job of first Labour MP Keir Hardie between the ages of 11
and 26?
Miner
6. How did millionaire John Jacob Astor die in 1912?
Drowned on the Titanic
7. At which battle did Davy Crockett die?
The Alamo
8. From which port did the Herald of Free Enterprise sail when it sank in
1987?
Zeebrugge
9. Of which country was Mohammed Reza Pahlevi the ruler from 1953 - 1979?
Iran (Shah)
10. Who in legend was supposed to have ridden from London to York on a horse
called Black Bess?
Dick Turpin
Sport
11. Which England cricket captain's initials were MCC?
Colin Cowdrey
12. Which darts player was the first to make a televised 9 dart finish?
John Lowe
13. In which city were the 1936 Olympics held?
Berlin
14. In which sport was Gentleman Jim Corbett a world champion?
Boxing
15. By what name is the England cricket team's 1932/33 tour of Australia
known?
Bodyline
16. What is the nationality of motor racing driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
Colombian
17. Which country won the most Five Nations rugby titles?
Wales
18. How many consecutive strikes are needed for a perfect game of 10-pin
bowls?
12
19. Aboard which horse did Pat Taaffe win the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1964,
1965 and 1966?
Arkle
20. What sport is played by the Miami Dolphins?
American Football
TV And Movies
21. What was the name of the Boswells' dog in Bread?
Mongy
[...]
32. On what would you find a statuette called The Spirit of Ecstacy?
A Rolls Royce

!