Another Nvidia manufacturer bites the dust

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Asus used to produce graphics cards for Nvidia. However, their contract will be up in September. Guess who they're going to manufacture graphics cards for?
You guessed it!
<A HREF="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/08/29&pages=B3&seq=91" target="_new">ATI!!!!!</A>

<font color=blue>I've got a better idea. Let's go play "swallow the stuff under the sink." </font color=blue>
<font color=green>Stewie Griffin</font color=green> from <i>The Family Guy</i>

TKS

RCPilot

Champion
That's fine. ASUS made one of the most expensive Nvidia cards anyway. I would imagine it will be pretty much the same case with ATI. Some one will take up the slack & I would guess there's more volume producing Nvidia than ATI. ASUS looses out is all.

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I used to sell a lot of competetively priced Asus Cards. They were the first big manufacturer in the UK to release a 64MB DDR GF4 MX440-8X AGP for less than £70. The only others at that time were the cheap brands like Jetway and Daytona.

RCPilot

Champion
I just scanned Newegg & the ASUS prices don't seem all that bad, I guess. I've just always felt they were high. I've only used a couple of them in other peoples machines.

However there MOBO's, I don't mind paying a little more for. Just how I kind of fell. No other reason I guess.

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Asus tend to get higher priced with the top end boards. Low end they're very good, their Ti4200 boards were a bargain but when you went further up the price difference between them and other brands got wider though Asus does put a lot of extras on their boards. Their Deluxe boards are like All-In-Wonders.

RCPilot

Champion
The ASUS & MSI (At least the Golden Sample) come with so much stuff it's not funny. The MSI card I installed had to of had 7 CD's included. Never seen that much stuff with a vid card.

Most of the ones I've handled have been the up scale boards & they were installed for the video.

RCPilot

Champion
Your right, my bad. Here's the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=3109,3668" target="_new"> card.</A> I thought it said Golden Sample when I got it & installed it. Sorry!

RCPilot

Champion
I put in a Golden Sample in one guys machine, but I think that was a TI4200. Can't remember, built to many machines lately.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
What about Gigabyte? (Not gigacube). I almost always use Gigabyte mobos because of the dual-bios features. If you ever want to flash your bios for a CPU upgrade, you'll have nothing to worry about with a Gigabyte board. As far as their Graphics cards go, I am not sure how well-off they are. Does anyone have opinions about Gigabyte Graphics cards? I was wondering why they are not on the "reccomended" list for the nVidia cards, considering the quality of their mobos.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

RCPilot

Champion
I've just never used Gigabyte MOBO's before. I've installed ASUS for at least the last 4 to 5 years. No complaints with them, so I haven't looked else where. If they do start messing up, then I'll check out some others, for sure.