Pub Quiz - 28022002

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

1. How is belladonna more commonly known?
2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?
3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?
4. What plant do Koalas feed on?
5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
name?

History
6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
of his brother?
7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?
9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
1944?
10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what disease?

Sport
11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
Masters golf champion?
12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?
13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?
14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
football team?

London
16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
17. What is the name of the official residency of the Archbishop of
Canterbury in London?
18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?
20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged at
Tyburn Tree?

Music
21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?
22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?
25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1 singles
chart?

Literature
26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
inedible"?
28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court?
30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"

Films
31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?
32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?
33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?

Sitcoms
36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have 'Em?
37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?
38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?
39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?
40. Who sung the theme tune for Hi-De-Hi?

General Knowledge
41. What is made in a samovar?
42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?

synchronicity, man.

43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?
44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?
45. Which berries are used to make gin?
46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
Express in 1919?
48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?
49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?
50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?
51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?
52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an independent
MP at the general election of 1997?
53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
magnificent, but it is not war"?
54. What do the French call the English Channel?
55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was set
at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?
56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
and Orkney?
57. What would a cooper make?
58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?
59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?
60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
(most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Not directing followups to rec.games.trivia, Keith? I'll post this only there.

Keith Willoughby writes:
> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?

Deadly nightshade.

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

Zinc.

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

Silly little dog.

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

Gum trees. Eucalyptus.

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
> name?

If "reach" means pass by, I think it was Lunik III. If "reach" means
impact on the surface, I thought the American Ranger I was first.

> History
> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
> of his brother?
> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?

Lenin.

> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
> 1944?

Vichy.

> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what disease?

Cholera.

> Sport
> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?

Green.

> 12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?
> 13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?

6.

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
> football team?
>
> London
> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?

Circle.

> 17. What is the name of the official residency of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury in London?
> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?

Westminster Abbey!!

> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?

The Bank of England.

> 20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged at
> Tyburn Tree?

Marble Arch?

> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?
> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
> 24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?
> 25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1 singles
> chart?
>
> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?

Charlotte Bronte?

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?

Foxhunting.

> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court?

Mark Twain.

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"

As for a lamb.

> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?

The Jazz Singer.

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?

Splash.

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?

Gale.

> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?
>
> Sitcoms
> 36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have 'Em?
> 37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?
> 38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?
> 39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?
> 40. Who sung the theme tune for Hi-De-Hi?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?

Tea.

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?

Humphrey Davy!!

> synchronicity, man.

Indeed.

> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Joan of (Jeanne d')Arc.

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel.

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?

Juniper?

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?

Flew his light plane, without authorization, into the USSR (on Border
Guards' Day, yet!) and landed in Red Square.

> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
> Express in 1919?

Thomson.

Magnet?!

> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?
> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?

Little Big Horn. (Or Little Bighorn, I've seen it both ways.)

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?
> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?

De Gaulle.

> 52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?
> 53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?

Charge of the Light Brigade?

> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?

La Manche (the Sleeve).

> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was set
> at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?

Mallard.

> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
> and Orkney?

Arran?

> 57. What would a cooper make?

Barrels.

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?

Formic.

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?

Nemo.

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
> (most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
> looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')

Sayonara.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto cat>/dev/null got your tongue?
msb@vex.net -- Jutta Degener

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:09:00 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?
Deadly nightshade

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?
Zinc

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?
nasty little anklebiter of a dog

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?
eucalyptus

> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
Wat Tyler?

> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
> 1944?
Vichy

> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what disease?
>
> Sport
> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?
green

6

> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
Westminster Abbey?

> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?
The London Times?

> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?
Herman's Hermits

> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
Madonna?

> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
Emily Bronte

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?
Fox hunting

> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court?
Mark Twain

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"
As for a lamb.

> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?
The Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?
Splash

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
Gale

> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?
South Pacific

> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?
tea

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
Oh, him. Sir Humphrey Davy (Thanks Gareth!)
> synchronicity, man.
>
> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?
Jeanne d'Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?
Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?
Juniper

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
Is the the youngster who went over the Berlin Wall in a plane? a
balloon? something like that?

> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?
penguin

> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?
Little Big Horn

Ob Trivia: who was the only U.S. 7th Cavalry survivor?

> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?
De Gaulle?

> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
> and Orkney?
no clue. Fair Isle?

> 57. What would a cooper make?
barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?
formic

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?
Captain Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
> (most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
> looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')
Oh. Then you want "sayonara".

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?

nightshade

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

zinc

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

dog

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

eucalyptus

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was
its
> name?

Lunik

> History
> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the
abdication
> of his brother?
> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better
known?
> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from
> 1944?

Vichy

> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what
disease?

> Sport
> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?

green

> 12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?

Angelo Dundee

> 13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?

six

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the
English
> football team?
>
> London
> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
> 17. What is the name of the official residency of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury in London?
> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?

the Bank of England

> 20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged
at
> Tyburn Tree?
>
> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?

Herman's Hermits

> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
> 24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?

Kirsty McColl

> 25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1
singles
> chart?
>
> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?

fox hunting

> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's
Court?

Sam Clemens

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"

.... as for a lamb

> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first
talkie?

The Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?

Splash

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?

Elizabeth Taylor

> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?
>
> Sitcoms
> 36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have
'Em?
> 37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?
> 38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?
> 39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?
> 40. Who sung the theme tune for Hi-De-Hi?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?
> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
>
> synchronicity, man.
>
> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Jeanne d'Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?

juniper

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
> Express in 1919?

Lord Beaverbrook

> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?
> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?

Little Big Horn. His last words were "Where the !@#$%^&* did all these
Indians come from?!"

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative
Party?
> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of
cheese"?

Charles de Gaulle

> 52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an
independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?
> 53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?
> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?
> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was
set
> at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?
> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between
Shetland
> and Orkney?
> 57. What would a cooper make?

barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?

formic

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the
captain?

Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
> (most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
> looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')

sayonara

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:09:00 +0100, Keith Willoughby put fingers to
keyboard and said:

> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?

Deadly nightshade (or a Stevie Nicks album :)

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

zinc

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

a "dog"

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

eucalyptus leaves

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
> name?
>
> History
> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
> of his brother?
> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?
> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
> 1944?
> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what disease?
>
> Sport
> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?

green

> 12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?
> 13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?

6

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
> football team?
>
> London
> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
> 17. What is the name of the official residency of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury in London?
> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?

Bank of London

> 20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged at
> Tyburn Tree?
>
> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?

Herman's Hermits

> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?

Madonna

> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
> 24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?
> 25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1 singles
> chart?
>
> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?

Bronte (emily?)

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?
> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court?

Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"
>
> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?

The Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?

Splash

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?

Gayle

> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?
>
> Sitcoms
> 36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have 'Em?
> 37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?
> 38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?
> 39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?
> 40. Who sung the theme tune for Hi-De-Hi?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?

Tea

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
>
> synchronicity, man.
>
> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Joan of Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?

Juniper

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?

Landed a plane in Red Square

> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
> Express in 1919?
> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?

Penguin

> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?

Little Big Horn

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?
> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?
> 52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?
> 53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?
> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?
> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was set
> at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?
> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
> and Orkney?
> 57. What would a cooper make?

Barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?

formic (was that a freudian slip in the question?)

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?

Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
> (most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
> looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')

Sayonara

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | I wouldn't live in California. All that sun makes

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?

Deadly Nightshade

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

zinc

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

horse

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

eucalyptus

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian.
> What was its name?

Luna IV??

> History
> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on
> the abdication of his brother?

Prince Albert

> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich
> Bronstein better known?

Trotsky ?

> 9. Where in France was the
> headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to 1944?

Vichy

> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of
> what disease?

Cholera

6

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one
> hundred times for the English football team?
>
> London
> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
> 17. What is the name of the official residency of the
> Archbishop of Canterbury in London?
> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?

St Paul's Cathedral

> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of
> Threadneedle Street?

still the Bank of London

> 20. Which London momument marks the
> spot at which criminals were hanged at Tyburn Tree?
>
> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which
> British band?
> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't
> Cry For Me Argentina?
> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with
> Bluebottle Blues?

Elvis

> 24. With which singer did The Pogues
> record Fairy Tale of New York?
> 25. Which band currently have
> their tenth number one in the Radio 1 singles chart?
>
> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?

one of the Bronte sisters... Charlotte?

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in
> pursuit of the inedible"?

fox hunts

> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at
> King Arthur's Court?

Mark Twain

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be
> hanged for a sheep"

as a wolf

> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the
> first talkie?

The Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a
> mermaid?

Splash

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress
> Oscar?
> 35. From which film and stage show does the song
> Happy Talk come?
>
> Sitcoms

Answer to all of them is "who cares?"

> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?

vodka or some drink with vodka in it

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
>
> synchronicity, man.

Huh?

> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Joan of Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?
> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in
> 1987?
> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became
> proprietor of the Daily Express in 1919?
> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?
> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in
> 1876?

Little Big Horn

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the
> Conservative Party?
> 51. Who said "How can you govern a
> nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?
> 52. What was the
> name of the television journalist who became an independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?
> 53. Of which military
> incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?

Charge of the Light Brigade

> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?

La Manche

> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed
> record for a steam locomotive was set at 126 MPH. What
> was the name of the locomotive?
> 56. Which island, famed for
> its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland and
> Orkney?
> 57. What would a cooper make?

barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared
> form red ants?

formic

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what
> was the name of the captain?

Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word
> for 'good-bye'? (most famous word. most well-known word.
> the word which I'm looking for, not the other Japanese
> words for 'good-bye')

sayonara

--
Dan Tilque

I wrote:
> Lenin.

No, no. Trotsky!
--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
msb@vex.net | many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:17:31 -0400, Bruce Bowler put fingers to keyboard
and said:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:09:00 +0100, Keith Willoughby put fingers to
> keyboard and said:

Arghhh (what Mark said earlier)...

>> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?
>
> Bank of London

Bank of England!

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?

Deadly nightshade

> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

Zinc?

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

Cat?

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

Eucalyptus

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
> name?

Luna

> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
> of his brother?

Duke of Clarence?

> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?

Which Tyler

> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better
> known?

Lenin

> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
> 1944?

Vichy

> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?

Green

> 12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?

Angelo Dundee (just reading "King Of The World")

> 13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?

6

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?

Notts

> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
> football team?

Bobby Charlton?

> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?

Piccadilly?

> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?

Westminster Abbey. Chaucer was buried there, you know.

> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?

Bank of England

> 20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged at
> Tyburn Tree?

Marble Arch?

> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?

Hermann's Hermits

> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?

The Goons

> 24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?

Kirsty MacColl

> 25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1
> singles chart?

Westlife?

> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?

Kate Bush

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?

Fox hunting

> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?

Watership Down

> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's
> Court?

Roger Clemens

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"

As a lamb

> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?

Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?

Splash!

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?

Lamore? (which version?)

> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?

Catherine Zeta Jones?

> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?

South Pacific

> 36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have 'Em?

Betty

> 37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?

June Whitfield

> 38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?

Hippo

> 39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?

Brass

> 41. What is made in a samovar?

Tea

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?

Humphry (no 'e') Davy (also no 'e')

> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Joan of Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?

Hey! There my juniper bushes!

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?

Landed a light airplane in Red Square, Moscow.
Memory's a funny thing.

> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
> Express in 1919?

Lord Beaverbrook?

> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?

Little Big Horn

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?

Ted Heath

> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of
> cheese"?

De Gaulle

> 52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?

Martin Bell

> 53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?

Half a league, half a league, etc...

> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?

La Manche

> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was set
> at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?

Mallard?

> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
> and Orkney?

Aran?

> 57. What would a cooper make?

Barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?

Formic

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?

Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?

Sayonara (sp?)
--
Gareth Owen
You have selected "Agent Zero". If this is correct, press 1.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Matthew Newell" <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in message

> > 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
>
> nottinghamshire

Actually they all do. Nottinhamshire play their home matches there, the
rest play away matches there.

> > 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the
> English
> > football team?
> >

> peter shiton?

I'll go for Bobby Moore

> > Music
> > 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?

Herman's Hermits?

> > 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?

Alma Cogan

> > 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?

South Pacific

> > 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative
> Party?

Edward Heath

> > 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive
was
> set
> > at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?
>
> flying scotsman

Mallard

Mark Brader wrote:

> Not directing followups to rec.games.trivia, Keith?

Haven't done so yet. There were people who were subscribed only to
rec.puzzles, who would therefore not see my marking of their answers.

> I'll post this only there.

If people subscribed to rgt want to do that, that's probably for the best.

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
>> name?
>
> If "reach" means pass by, I think it was Lunik III.

Luna II is what I was looking for, although I would have accepted "Luna"

http://www.kokogiak.com/luna/default.asp

>> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?
>
> Lenin.

No.

ObTrivia: What was Lenin's original name?

>> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
>
> Westminster Abbey!!

Spooky, innit?

>> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
>
> Charlotte Bronte?

Wrong one.

>> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
>
> Humphrey Davy!!

Spooky, innit?

>> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?
>
> Joan of (Jeanne d')Arc.

OvTrivia: Which band recorded the songs Joan of Arc and Maid of
Orleans?

>> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
>
> Flew his light plane, without authorization, into the USSR (on Border
> Guards' Day, yet!)

IIRC, Border Guards' day was the one day he was likely to
succeed. They were all drunk.

> and landed in Red Square.
>
>> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
>> Express in 1919?
>
> Thomson.

No.

> Magnet?!

Highly embarrassing thinko.

>> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
>> and Orkney?
>
> Arran?

You'd think. But, no.

Rest correct.

--

Mark Brader wrote:

>> > 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?
>
> I wrote:
>> Lenin.
>
> No, no. Trotsky!

Aye. There should be a word for that feeling you get two seconds after
sending a post to usenet that you now want back.

--

Keith Willoughby writes:
> Aye. There should be a word for that feeling you get two seconds after
> sending a post to usenet that you now want back.

Treppenwitz, or l'esprit de l'escalier. Both mean "staircase wit".
--
Mark Brader "They have computers, and they may have
Toronto other weapons of mass destruction."

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?
>
> Cat?

No

>> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
>> of his brother?
>
> Duke of Clarence?

Nope.

>> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better
>> known?
>
> Lenin

No

>> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
>> football team?
>
> Bobby Charlton?

Nope

>> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
>
> Piccadilly?

Nope.

>> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?
>
> Kate Bush

Damn you and your pesky parallel thinking. I would have had to accept
that.

>> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
>
> Lamore?

No

> (which version?)

All versions, as far as I know. What's the exception?

>> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
>
> Catherine Zeta Jones?

No.

>> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
>> Express in 1919?
>
> Lord Beaverbrook?

Yup. AKA Max Aitken.

>> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?
>
> Ted Heath

Yeah. He went back to being a bandleader.

>> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
>> and Orkney?
>
> Aran?

No.

Rest correct.

--

harry wrote:

> "Matthew Newell" <matt@capeside.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>> > 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
>>
>> nottinghamshire
>
> Actually they all do. Nottinhamshire play their home matches there, the
> rest play away matches there.

As it happens, I usually ask those questions as "which team play their
home games at <x>", but if you answered that in the quiz, you'd suffer
Sarcasm, and maybe even Scorn.

>> > 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the
>> English
>> > football team?
>> >

>> peter shiton?
>
> I'll go for Bobby Moore

No

>> > 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
>
> Alma Cogan

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?
> >
> > Lamore?
>
> No
>
> > (which version?)
>
> All versions, as far as I know. What's the exception?

In the 1925 movie, she was apparently called Dwan.
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0016544/

--
Gareth Owen
If I knew what the hell I was doing, it wouldn't be research...

> Mark Brader wrote:
>
> > Not directing followups to rec.games.trivia, Keith?
>

> No.
>
> ObTrivia: What was Lenin's original name?

vladimir illyich ullyanov

ob ob trivia

what was stalins

obobob trivia which of the stalin era politburo (v famous) was originally
called Scriabin and was not related
to composer but it was commonly hinted that he was

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > Lamore?
>>
>> No
>>
>> > (which version?)
>>
>> All versions, as far as I know. What's the exception?
>
> In the 1925 movie, she was apparently called Dwan.
> http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0016544/

That's the bleedin' actress.

--

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> 1. How is belladonna more commonly known?
> 2. What metal is galvanised iron typically plated with?

Tin

> 3. What sort of animal is a pomeranian?

Dog

> 4. What plant do Koalas feed on?

Eucalyptus

> 5. The first man-made object to reach the moon was Russian. What was its
> name?
>
> History
> 6. What was the title of George VI before he became King on the abdication
> of his brother?
> 7. Who was leader of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?

Wat Tyler

> 8. How was the Russian Revolutionary Lev Davidovich Bronstein better known?

Trotsky

> 9. Where in France was the headquarters of the French goverment from 1940 to
> 1944?

Vichy

> 10. In London in 1854, 10,000 people died in an epidemic of what disease?
>
> Sport
> 11. What is the colour of the jacket presented to the winner of the US
> Masters golf champion?

Green

> 12. Who was the trainer of both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard?
> 13. How many points are awarded for a touchdown in American Football?

Six

> 14. Which county play cricket at Trent Bridge?
> 15. Who was the first player to be capped one hundred times for the English
> football team?
>
> London
> 16. On the tube map, which line is coloured yellow?
> 17. What is the name of the official residency of the Archbishop of
> Canterbury in London?
> 18. In which London building is Poets' Corner?
> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?
> 20. Which London momument marks the spot at which criminals were hanged at
> Tyburn Tree?
>
> Music
> 21. I'm Into Something Good was the debut hit for which British band?
> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
> 23. In 1956, who reached number 3 with Bluebottle Blues?
> 24. With which singer did The Pogues record Fairy Tale of New York?
> 25. Which band currently have their tenth number one in the Radio 1 singles
> chart?
>
> Literature
> 26. Who wrote Wuthering Heights?

Charlotte Bronte

> 27. What did Oscar Wilde describe as "The unspeakable in pursuit of the
> inedible"?
> 28. Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig appear in which book?
> 29. Which American author wrote "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court?

Mark Twain

> 30. Complete the proverb - "As well be hanged for a sheep"

as a lamb

> Films
> 31. Which film, starring Al Jolson, was considered to be the first talkie?

The Jazz Singer

> 32. In which film did Daryl Hannah play a mermaid?

Splash

> 33. What was Dorothy's surname in The Wizard of Oz?

Gayle

> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
> 35. From which film and stage show does the song Happy Talk come?
>
> Sitcoms
> 36. What was the name of Frank Spencer's wife in Some Mothers Do Have 'Em?
> 37. Who plays Edina's mother in Absolutely Fabulous?
> 38. Which animal did Reggie Perrin visualise his mother-in-law as?
> 39. Which sitcom starred Timothy West as Bradley Hardcastle?
> 40. Who sung the theme tune for Hi-De-Hi?
>
> General Knowledge
> 41. What is made in a samovar?

Tea

> 42. Who invented the miner's safety lamp?
>
> synchronicity, man.
>
> 43. Who was known as the Maid of Orleans?

Jeanne d'Arc

> 44. In the Bible, who was thrown into the lion's den?

Daniel

> 45. Which berries are used to make gin?

Juniper

> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
> 47. Which Canadian-born newspaper magnet became proprietor of the Daily
> Express in 1919?
> 48. What species of bird is a rockhopper?

Penguin

> 49. At which battle was General Custer famously defeated in 1876?

Little Big Horn

> 50. Who did Margaret Thatcher follow as leader of the Conservative Party?
> 51. Who said "How can you govern a nation that has 246 varieties of cheese"?
> 52. What was the name of the television journalist who became an independent
> MP at the general election of 1997?
> 53. Of which military incident in 1854 did a French general say "It is
> magnificent, but it is not war"?
> 54. What do the French call the English Channel?
> 55. In July 1938, a world record speed record for a steam locomotive was set
> at 126 MPH. What was the name of the locomotive?
> 56. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland
> and Orkney?
> 57. What would a cooper make?

Barrels

> 58. What is the name of the acid that was first prepared form red ants?

Formic Acid - Freudian Typo?

> 59. In the fictional submarine Nautilus, what was the name of the captain?

Nemo

> 60. What is the Japanese word for 'good-bye'?
> (most famous word. most well-known word. the word which I'm
> looking for, not the other Japanese words for 'good-bye')

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> That's the bleedin' actress.

Erm, yes.

So it is.

I'll get my coat.
--
Gareth Owen
September is the cruellest month

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:09:00 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 19. What, in London, is known as the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?
> The London Times?

No.

>> 22. Who reached number one in 1976 with Don't Cry For Me Argentina?
> Madonna?

No.

>> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
> Is the the youngster who went over the Berlin Wall in a plane? a
> balloon? something like that?

Not Berlin. He landed in Red Square, Moscow.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:28:47 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Barbara Bailey wrote:
>

>>> 46. How did 19-year old Matthias Rust make the headlines in 1987?
>> Is the the youngster who went over the Berlin Wall in a plane? a
>> balloon? something like that?
>
>Not Berlin. He landed in Red Square, Moscow.

At least I knew he flew something somewhere :cool:

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> Aye. There should be a word for that feeling you get two seconds after
>> sending a post to usenet that you now want back.
>
> Treppenwitz, or l'esprit de l'escalier. Both mean "staircase wit".

Excellent!

--

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
>
> Elizabeth Taylor

Nope

Rest correct

--

> Steve Grant wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >> 34. Who was the first British woman to win the Best Actress Oscar?
> >
> > Elizabeth Taylor
>
> Nope

Is that "Nope, Elizabeth Taylor wasn't British" or "Nope, somebody else won
before she did"?