cyberjohnys17

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Hi,
What model do u prefer for ATI??
Sapphire.....and many more??or the CHIP OF ATI RADEON.THE ORIGINAL from the company?Not other names.ONLY ATI THE ORIGINAL OF ITS' MANUFACTURER.
WHICH DO U PREFER??

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Actually ATI don't build is own board. Many ATI board are made by Sapphire and sold by ATI.

I'm not sure if Sapphire is building ALL the "Built by ATI" board. Maybe other users will have more detail about this.

I would buy any Radeon based board as long as the MEMORY chips are good. Because some manufacturers use cheaper memory chip to keep there retail price low.

For exemple, my board is a "Built by ATI" Radeon 8500 128 Megs. The memory is clocked to 250 MHz be default, but the memory chips are RATED to 275 MHz. I overclocked my RAM to 300 MHz without any problem. If I would have buy a "cheap" 8500, maybe I would have get 250 MHz rated memory, so I would not have been able to overclock my memory that much.

Another thing to consider, is the cooling, some manufacturers have better cooling than other... So you can overclock these boards easily.

I hope this will help you a little bit!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

cyberjohnys17

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
I am not telling bying Sapphire.If u would recommend to buy Ati RADEON FROM it's manufacturer.Not other name such as Sapphire or Powercolor
www.ati.com
Fromit's chip.not other name

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Quite simply a "Built by ATI Card" is built by Sapphire but is only sold to the N.America and Candian market, in all other regions the same card becomes a "ATI Partner" card built by Sapphire. Sadly ATI only really operates in N.America and Canada so I was really pissed off when I found out I couldn't trade my card in or that my company couldn't get any marketting support direct from ATI itall had to be done through affiliate manufacturer's and suppliers.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I bought a Hercules 3d Prophet 8500LE 128MB (Radeon 8500 LE) last year, and I love that card! I don't have any slowdown on games that I play on 1024x768 32-bit color except for Tenebrae Quake, which is just a heavily modified sourcecode of the original Quake engine and it looks so much better than Orginal QUake. But the engine is so unoptimized that even the Doom III Alpha would probably run better than Tenebrae.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

eden

Champion
I never knew Sapphire made chips?

Wasn't ATi always doing the chips and letting the makers create the boards? How would Sapphire build them if they have no fab space like ATi has with TSMC?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sapphire good.
gigabyte good.
herculies good.
powercolor soso.
ati beneric good enough.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well probably Sapphire as i have one.
Goes very well and overclocks nicely.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

I'd say Hercules. My personal #1.

I have a BBA board though. I wanted a Herc, but no R9600Ps for at least 2 months after the BBAs.

I like the setup and extras of the Hercules. And those Blue LEDs make me feel tingly inside. :wink:

Sapphire's good but make sure you get the right kind. Atlantises aren't as good as FireBlades or UEs. But usually fairly good build quality.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fuss fuss, Canada is IN N. America. ATI operates in the U.S. and Canada, both in N. America.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Considering they ARE Canadian...

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

atfihunred

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
I just want to know if your 8500 LE 128mb came with the small square ram chips @3.3ns?
That card you have smokes all the other Radeons made prior to it I bet.
If I'm not mistaken, That Limited Edition card is the best they made at the time. (some have said LE was Lite Edition? I beg to differ!)
I've read good reviews on that card.
Keep it.
Be Proud!

AM37 2200+XP Thoro
WD 40.00 54
256mb Kingston
Xtacy ATI Radeon 9100 64mb

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, definately N. American!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I beg to differ with YOU, as it is the slower version (thus more apptly Lite Edition). Some had wicked overclocking potential but the LE was clocked at 250/250(500) and the regular R8500 was clocked at 275/275(550). Not a bad card (ask Phial, GW, or a bunch of others), but stock it performs below the regular 8500 (the 64mb performing better in most cases IIRC due to clock or timing issue).

And my old 8500DV was the worst at 230/190(380). :frown:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Cause you BLESSED man! You Truely Blessed! Which is Good! And Then Cursed! Which is Bad! And then Blessed again! Which is Good! :wink:

I have a feeling my R8500DV was clocked at 200/100(200) or at least that what it felt like sometimes. :lol:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Its a really good card. I LOVE it infact. But i just purchased 3 Ti4200 cards. so if anyone needs this card I'll gladly sell it to them. Or I could just build up a nother system and put the LE inside one of my "older" computers. What is a good price to sell a Heculese 3D Prophet 58500LE?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

atfihunred

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
I hear ya Bro, but you stated just what I did. NONETHELESS,
The 3.3ns square ram chips (yes they have a name, but I don't know it)and the 128mb MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.
LE is what you say, but the speed speaks for itself.
OEM versions and the AIW were of course clocked lower
THE RAM MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!
Tell ya what....if I can dig up the web page I read this on, then I'll bring it to ya. Fair enough?

AM37 2200+XP Thoro
WD 40.00 54
256mb Kingston

atfihunred

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
If it's the 128Mb LE: (with the special square 3.3ns ram chips)
$99 to start,
$75 if you're feeling nice,
$50 if ya gotta get rid of it right away.
I would hold out for the $99, but it's your call!

AM37 2200+XP Thoro
WD 40.00 54
256mb Kingston

Fine with me. There's always interesting cards out there. The R9600 series is proving that not all OEMs are he same (and that's fo DAMN Sure!)

atfihunred

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
The Square chips are called BGA memory (Ball Grid Array)and even though they are 3.3 ns, they are clocked at 250 as opposed to 275 or 300. Hardware Extreme has an article on the LE that tells about it.
This ain't the article I was after, but it's close.
Also, ATI has made a promise not to Cheat us with underclocked OEM's and All-In-Wonders, and the new AIW 9600 Pro is supposed to be start of 'Something New"....?We'll See.

AM37 2200+XP Thoro
WD 40.00 54
256mb Kingston

Thanks for 'splainin' BGA to me, now TSOP? :tongue:
However it doesn't change performance it just changes overclockability. Latency may gt involved but just TSOP vs BGA won't improve things if it still same speed and same latency (however usually more overhead on BGA).

I like the AIW 9600, but it's not a solution for me now, I'm riding my R9600P until I can get a PCI-EX card. And I'm wondering if they will take advanatge of the fastr bus speeds for AIWs in the future, could speed up video transfer at hi-res. Bu yes We shall C++.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I never knew Sapphire made chips?
Sapphire is not manufacturing the GPU, they build boards.

STEP 1 : ATI design the chips
STEP 2 : They ask company X to produce that chip in their facilities.
STEP 3 : They ask Sapphire to put those chips on a board
STEP 4 : Sapphire stamp the "Built by ATI" logo on it
STEP 5 : ATI sells chips to other board makers.

So ATI is mostly making money by selling CHIPS, not by selling BOARDS.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?