Pub Quiz - 20020115

Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2004 1:15:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

European Cities
1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
Gardens?
2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
sport?
8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?

11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
prime minister?
13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?

16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
Mean Machine have in common?
17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
picture Oscar in 1942?
18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
recent Harry Potter film?

21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
have a top 5 hit?
24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
did it come?

26. First lines -
All children, except one, grow up.
27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
Edmond, and Lucy.
28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
thirteen.
29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
30. Call me Ishmael.

31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
33. Who discovered penicillin?
34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
the 1893 World's Fair?
36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
was later revealed to have murdered him?
38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
on American TV?
39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
during the Falklands War?
(IIRC, there might be two answers to this)

42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
and Skiddaw?

50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
two founders?
56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

More about : pub quiz 20020115

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:15:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?

Oxford

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Paris

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

1972

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?

croquet

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers

> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?

Yemen

> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Much of the action takes place within a prison.

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?

How Green Was My Valley

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt

Lon Chaney Sr.

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?

Michael Gambon (check out THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER
for an excellent, if loathsome, performance.)

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.

The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin

yo-yo

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Alexander Fleming

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

Ferris Wheel

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

M*A*S*H

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
>
> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

Dag Hammarskjold preceded him.

> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?

lily

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?

Bayer-Meinhoff or something like that

> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Eeyore?

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Amsterdam

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

1972 - and there's another Yank out to do the same this year.

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?

Bicycling

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers

> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Prisons?

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Dirty Harry

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
>
> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin

Hula Hoop

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Jonas Salk after he didn't clean his refrigerator for several months

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

Oh, c'mon now.
Fe
/ \
Fe Fe
| |
Fe Fe
\ /
Fe

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

Through early morning fog I see...

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

The landings at Normandy

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?

Waterloo?

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
>
> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

V Thant

> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?

Lily

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karlo

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?

Baader-Meinhof Gang

> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher Robin (Milne)

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

St. Agnes

> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:15:47 AM

The most intelligent thing Keith Willoughby ever wrote was the following:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin
> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Dublin
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
Paris
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
1972
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
Headingley

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
Australia
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
Sweden
> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
Texas Rangers
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
Belgium
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
> Clementine
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
Clint Eastwood
> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
Boris Karloff
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Richard Harris?

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
Peter Pan?
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
Chronicles of Narnia
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
1984
> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice?
> 30. Call me Ishmael.
Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
Hovercraft
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
Hula Hoops
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Fleming
> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?
Ferris Wheel
> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
M*A*S*H I believe...not sure if Friends went past it
> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
Sheffield?

> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
Normandy Invasion
> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
Dambusters
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
Hereford
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
>
> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
Dylan Thomas
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
Kurt Waldheim
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
lily
> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
Blair
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Karl Marx
> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
Baader-Meinhof gang
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Winnie
> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
St Martins
> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:15:48 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?

Algeria

>> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
>> Mean Machine have in common?
>
> Prisons?

Inspired guess :)

>> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
>> during the Falklands War?
>> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)

Sorry, I only remember that Prince Andrew fought in Las Malvinas. Are
the penguins happy to be speaking English still?

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:21:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

I'm not sure if these have been answered yet

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Stephen King

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?

How Green was my Valley?

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt

Vincent Price?

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?

Michael Gambon

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Bonus question: What do the C.S.
stand for in C.S.Lewis?

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Pride and Predjudice

> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?

Heddy Lamar.

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

The Ferris Wheel, perchance?

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

M*A*S*H

> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?

Bloody hell, I've even climbed them and I don't know the answer. They
are in the Lake District, Cumbria, but I don't know the name of the
national park.

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

said the bells of St. Martins

Alan
--
Defendit numerus
Anonymous

amorgan@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Alan Morgan) wrote in message news:<cd1jp7$348$1@Xenon.Stanford.EDU>...
> > 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> > Edmond, and Lucy.
>
> The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Bonus question: What do the C.S.
> stand for in C.S.Lewis?

Clive Staples
July 14, 2004 2:02:35 AM

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin
> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Dublin
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
Paris
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
Manchester United
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
Swimming
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
Headingley

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
Belgium?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
Clement

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
How Green Was My Valley?
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
Peter Cushing?
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Richard Harris? (but I believe it was somebody else for the third film)

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
Bernard Cribbins
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
The Goodies
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
Whispering Rose
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
Kenny Everett
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
Peter Pan
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.
>
> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
Hovercraft
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
Yo-yo?
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Alexander Fleming
> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?
Big Wheel
> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
Leadbetter
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
Friends?
> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
William G Stewart
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
Michael Horden
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
Sheffield
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
The D-Day landings
> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
London (Greenwich)
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
Lundy
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
Lake District

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
Catherine Zeta Jones?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
Daag Hammershold (sp) ?
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
Fleur de Lis
> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Karl Marx
> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
Racehorses
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Christopher Robin
> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
St Martins
> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Denis the Menace

> --
> Keith Willoughby
> Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:12:30 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Dublin

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
Paris

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
Arsenal

> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
Greyhound racing

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
Football

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
Headingly

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime
> minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he
> the prime minister?
Norway

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
Belgium

> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the
> best picture Oscar in 1942?
How Green was my Valley

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
Boris Karloff

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Richard Harris

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
Bernard Cribbins

> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
Jasper Carrot

> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor
> Davies have a top 5 hit?
Whispering Grass

> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and
> DJ?
Kenny Everett

> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
Spitting Image

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
Famous Five?

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.
Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
Hovercraft

> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
Hula hoop

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Joseph Lister

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent
> in 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris
> for the 1893 World's Fair?
Ferris Wheel

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
Ledbetter

> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying.
> Who was later revealed to have murdered him?
Nick Cotton

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever
> rating on American TV?
Friends?

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
William G Stewart

> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
Michael

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet
> missile during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
D-day landings

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
Dambusters

> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
Trafalgar

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace
> after World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
Hereford

> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell
> Pike and Skiddaw?
Pennines

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
Blair

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Karl Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
Bader-Meinhoff

> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
Horses

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Christopher Robin Milne

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
St. Martin's

> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
Slade

> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Denis the Menace

--
Ray
Anonymous

harry wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
> Swimming

No.

>> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
> Clement

Close.

>> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
> Peter Cushing?

No

>> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> The Goodies

No. They had a hit with Funky Gibbon.

>> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
>> have a top 5 hit?
> Whispering Rose

Close.

>> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
>> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> Yo-yo?

No.

>> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
>> on American TV?
> Friends?

Might have, I guess, but this was set in 2002.

>> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> Catherine Zeta Jones?

No.

>> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> Daag Hammershold (sp) ?

No

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:14:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <877jt7txt1.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>harry wrote:
>
>> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
>> Swimming
>
>No.

1972.

>>> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
>>> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
>> Yo-yo?
>
>No.

Hula hoop?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus
July 14, 2004 2:28:09 AM

> harry wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
> > Swimming
>
> No.
ok, I can't read. Munich, then

> >> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
> > Clement
>
> Close.

Clemence

> >> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
> > Peter Cushing?
>
> No
How about Boris Karloff, then?

> >> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> > The Goodies
>
> No. They had a hit with Funky Gibbon.

no idea

> >> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> >> have a top 5 hit?
> > Whispering Rose
>
> Close.

Ok, Whispering Breeze

> >> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> >> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> > Yo-yo?
>
> No.

Yo-yo was the main craze I can remember from the 1950s

How about Hula Hoop, then?

> >> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> >> on American TV?
> > Friends?
>
> Might have, I guess, but this was set in 2002.

ah, that explains the Richard Harris question.

Dallas?

> >> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> > Catherine Zeta Jones?
>
> No.

The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?

> >> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> > Daag Hammershold (sp) ?
>
> No

struggling here. Waldheim?

> --
> Keith Willoughby
> Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:32:06 AM

mUs1Ka wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> Arsenal

No.

>> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> Football

No. Despite famously being a goalkeeper, he never represented Poland at
that sport.

>> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he
>> the prime minister?
> Norway

No

>> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
>> Edmond, and Lucy.
> Famous Five?

Nope.

>> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
> Joseph Lister

No

>> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever
>> rating on American TV?
> Friends?

Possibly, but not in 2002.

>> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell
>> Pike and Skiddaw?
> Pennines

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:35:26 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
>
> Oxford

Nope. A different Trinity College.

>> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
>
> croquet

Nope.

>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
>
> Yemen

No

>> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
>
> Lon Chaney Sr.

Nope.

>> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
>> recent Harry Potter film?
>
> Michael Gambon (check out THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER
> for an excellent, if loathsome, performance.)

This one was set in 2002, before Gambon took the role over.

>> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
>> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
>
> yo-yo

No

>> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
>
> Dag Hammarskjold preceded him.

No bonus points for that :)

>> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
>
> lily

Nope.

>> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
>
> Eeyore?

Heh. No.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:38:17 AM

harry wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> > Clement
>>
>> Close.
>
> Clemence

Not as close.

>> > Peter Cushing?
>>
>> No
> How about Boris Karloff, then?

Yup

>> > Whispering Rose
>>
>> Close.
>
> Ok, Whispering Breeze

Not as close.

>> > Yo-yo?
>>
>> No.
>
> Yo-yo was the main craze I can remember from the 1950s
>
> How about Hula Hoop, then?

Yup.

>> > Friends?
>>
>> Might have, I guess, but this was set in 2002.
>
> ah, that explains the Richard Harris question.
>
> Dallas?

Nope.

>> > Catherine Zeta Jones?
>>
>> No.
>
> The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?

Nope. About three famous Welsh people left ;-)

>> > Daag Hammershold (sp) ?
>>
>> No
>
> struggling here. Waldheim?

Yup!

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:44:55 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> European Cities
>> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
>> Gardens?
>
> Amsterdam

Nope.

>> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
>
> Bicycling

No.

>> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
>
> Jonas Salk after he didn't clean his refrigerator for several months

No.

ObTrivia: Which vaccine did Jonas Salk famously discover?

>> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
>> the 1893 World's Fair?
>
> Oh, c'mon now.

You'd be surprised. Not everyone got it.

>> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
>
> Waterloo?

Nope.

>> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
>
> V Thant

:)

No

>> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
>
> Lily

Yes. I marked this wrong in another reply, because I was looking for
fleur-de-lis.

>> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
>
> St. Agnes

No

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:44:56 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>

>>> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
>>
>>Bicycling
>
> No.

I didn't really think so.

>>> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
>>
>>Jonas Salk after he didn't clean his refrigerator for several months
>
> No.
>
> ObTrivia: Which vaccine did Jonas Salk famously discover?

TB

>>> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
>>> the 1893 World's Fair?
>>
>>Oh, c'mon now.
>
> You'd be surprised. Not everyone got it.

Where was the 1893 World's Fair?

ObTrivia: Where did Lincoln recite the Gettysburg Address? :)

>>> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
>>
>>Lily
>
> Yes. I marked this wrong in another reply, because I was looking for
> fleur-de-lis.

I almost put down fleur-de-lis, but I don't think the Boy Scouts are
on speaking terms with the French right now. :)

--Jeff

--
Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --Neil Innes
July 14, 2004 2:46:50 AM

> harry wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Close.
> >
> > Clemence
>
> Not as close.

Ok, Must be right this time. Clementine.

Davies

> >> Close.
> >
> > Ok, Whispering Breeze
>
> Not as close.

> >> Might have, I guess, but this was set in 2002.
> >
> > ah, that explains the Richard Harris question.
> >
> > Dallas?
>
> Nope.

> >> No.
> >
> > The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?
>
> Nope. About three famous Welsh people left ;-)

So, I guess it'll take me three more guesses. Nye Bevan.

> --
> Keith Willoughby
> Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:46:52 AM

Alan Morgan wrote:

> In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if these have been answered yet
>
>> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
>> Mean Machine have in common?
>
> Stephen King

No.

>> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
>
> Vincent Price?

No

>> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
>> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
>
> Heddy Lamar.

Yup! Did you know that, or did you extrapolate from 'Hedwig'?

>> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
>> and Skiddaw?
>
> Bloody hell, I've even climbed them and I don't know the answer. They
> are in the Lake District, Cumbria, but I don't know the name of the
> national park.

The Lake District National Park ;)

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:46:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87llhnshpv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>Alan Morgan wrote:
>
>> In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
>> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if these have been answered yet
>>
>>> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
>>> Mean Machine have in common?
>>
>> Stephen King
>
>No.

After looking at imdb.com I can say that I now agree that it isn't Stephen
King, but I'm not sure what it is. Prison movies? Was the same prison used
for the external shots in all three films?

>>> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
>>> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
>>
>> Heddy Lamar.
>
>Yup! Did you know that, or did you extrapolate from 'Hedwig'?

Knew it.

>>> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
>>> and Skiddaw?
>>
>> Bloody hell, I've even climbed them and I don't know the answer. They
>> are in the Lake District, Cumbria, but I don't know the name of the
>> national park.
>
>The Lake District National Park ;)

Do I get partial credit?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus
Anonymous

Alan Morgan wrote:

> In article <877jt7txt1.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>harry wrote:
>>
>>> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>>> Swimming
>>
>>No.
>
> 1972.

>>> Yo-yo?
>>
>>No.
>
> Hula hoop?

Yup x2

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:48:19 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>>> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
>>
>> lily
>
> Nope.

Or, yes, even.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:50:38 AM

harry wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> harry wrote:
>>
>> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

>> > Clemence
>>
>> Not as close.
>
> Ok, Must be right this time. Clementine.

Yup!

>> > The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?
>>
>> Nope. About three famous Welsh people left ;-)
>
> So, I guess it'll take me three more guesses. Nye Bevan.

Nope. It's not Anthony Hopkins or Richard Burton, either.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:18:24 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>>
>>>Jonas Salk after he didn't clean his refrigerator for several months
>> No.
>> ObTrivia: Which vaccine did Jonas Salk famously discover?
>
> TB

Nope

>>>Lily
>> Yes. I marked this wrong in another reply, because I was looking for
>> fleur-de-lis.
>
> I almost put down fleur-de-lis, but I don't think the Boy Scouts are
> on speaking terms with the French right now. :)

Possibly your lot aren't. I think ours still are.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:21:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Amsterdam? I should remember this better - I've been to both.

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Vienna?

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Paris.

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Rome?

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

1984? [Swimming, anyway.]

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sweden?

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers.

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Prison.

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

This has got to be Peter Pan.

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.

The Large Feline, the Female Warlock, and the Clothes Container.

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

One of the Austens, I think. P&P?

> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick.

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Chance. But Fleming got the credit.

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

A Ferris wheel?

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

Seinfeld?

> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

The Second Front a.k.a. the invasion of Normandy.

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

The Versailles treaty.

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx.

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher [R.], of course.

Haran
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:21:07 AM

Haran Pilpel wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> European Cities
>> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
>> Gardens?
>
> Amsterdam? I should remember this better - I've been to both.

No.

>> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
>
> Vienna?

No

>> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
>
> Rome?

No.

>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
>
> 1984? [Swimming, anyway.]

Nope.

>> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
>> on American TV?
>
> Seinfeld?

No.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:23:20 AM

Phil Carmody wrote:

> I know this as me mam has a copy of Whispering Grass. When I was this high
> <gestures> I actually quite liked that song!

Me too, but not neccessarily the Don Estelle version.

>> > The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?
>>
>> Nope. About three famous Welsh people left ;-)
>
> I bet that Aeioun Evans and JPR Williams don't count as famous. Shame!
> Looking for more likely answers, I'll skirt briefly round Dylan Thomas,

Bad skirting. It's Dylan The Drinker.

> but finally settle on Tom Jones instead.

Tom's a Ponty Boy, not a Jack Bastard.

> I'll blame me pa for the first 2, but me mam, nee Thomas with obvious
> roots, for the final one.
>

> ObTrivia: How does Mr Evans spell his name, and no looking it up, that's cheating!

Ah, but I can spell all sorts of Welsh names, including
Rhosllanerchrugog,
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, and
Ieuan. I can even pronounce them, as long as I get some saliva going
first.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:35:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Paris

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

1972

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sverige

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers

> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
>
> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Alexander Fleming

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

some kind of wheel or another

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

Normandy Invasion

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Treaty of Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
>
> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?

fleur de lis

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl "Groucho" Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher Robin

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

Slade. I recently learned that this is correctly pronounced "shlar-day."

Surely you aren't looking for that cheap Quiet Riot knockoff as the answer?!

> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:45:50 AM

> ObTrivia: Which vaccine did Jonas Salk famously discover?

a vaccine for polio
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:46:54 AM

Alan Morgan wrote:

> In article <87llhnshpv.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>Alan Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> In article <87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
>>> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if these have been answered yet

>>> Stephen King
>>
>>No.
>
> After looking at imdb.com I can say that I now agree that it isn't Stephen
> King, but I'm not sure what it is. Prison movies?

That's it.

>>> Bloody hell, I've even climbed them and I don't know the answer. They
>>> are in the Lake District, Cumbria, but I don't know the name of the
>>> national park.
>>
>>The Lake District National Park ;)
>
> Do I get partial credit?

You get full credit for that.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:55:20 AM

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>
>>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
>
> Algeria

No

>>> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
>>> during the Falklands War?
>>> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> Sorry, I only remember that Prince Andrew fought in Las Malvinas. Are
> the penguins happy to be speaking English still?

Not as happy as the sheep.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:14:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
> harry wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Close.
> >
> > Clemence
>
> Not as close.

I know this as me mam had god knows what done in the Clementine
Churchill hospital, somewhere in NW london, once.

> >> Close.
> >
> > Ok, Whispering Breeze
>
> Not as close.

I know this as me mam has a copy of Whispering Grass. When I was this high
<gestures> I actually quite liked that song! But the trees don't need to know.
However, I can be forgiven as it's not a 70s pop song, it's a 40s one.

> >> No.
> >
> > The one I thought of first, but then changed ot CZJ - Shirley Bassey?
>
> Nope. About three famous Welsh people left ;-)

I bet that Aeioun Evans and JPR Williams don't count as famous. Shame!
Looking for more likely answers, I'll skirt briefly round Dylan Thomas,
but finally settle on Tom Jones instead.

I'll blame me pa for the first 2, but me mam, nee Thomas with obvious
roots, for the final one.

ObTrivia: How does Mr Evans spell his name, and no looking it up, that's cheating!

Phil
--
1st bug in MS win2k source code found after 20 minutes: scanline.cpp
2nd and 3rd bug found after 10 more minutes: gethost.c

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

Only new answers I hope.

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?

Liverpool

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?

Edgbaston

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

MASH

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)

HMS Sheffield (and some transport ship I think?)

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

There were (at least) five treaties concluded after WWI, all of which
modified the political map of Europe in some way. They were Versailles
(with Germany), Neuilly (with Bulgaria), St Germain (with Austria),
Sevres (1920) and Lausanne (1923) (with Turkey), Trianon (1920) (with
Hungary). Versailles, Neuilly and St Germain were all signed in 1919.

> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

Waldheim?

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?

Tony Blair

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?

Bader Meinhof?

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

St Martin's

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

hitesh wrote:

All correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:53:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Steve Grant wrote:

All correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:58:38 AM

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>> ObTrivia: Which vaccine did Jonas Salk famously discover?
>
> a vaccine for polio

Yup.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 9:41:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

European Cities
1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
Gardens?

Copenhagen

4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Paris?

5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Madrid?

8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

1984?

13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers

16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
Mean Machine have in common?

All are set in a prison.

ObTrivia: What is Mean Machine's U.S. equivalent?

18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
recent Harry Potter film?

Richard Harris

26. First lines -
All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
Edmond, and Lucy.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
thirteen.

1984 (geez, you guys love that book!)

30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

33. Who discovered penicillin?

Fleming

35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
the 1893 World's Fair?

The Ferris wheel

38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
on American TV?

M*A*S*H

45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Treaty of Versailles

54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher Robin

----
"I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right. Nobody
does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came along."
--Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever Jeopardy!
champion
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin. Guessing based on the Norwegian Eurovision Song contest entry long time ago

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Somewhere in an island

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milano

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
72
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
None. perhaps mr Wojtyla did?

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
West Finland.

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
Texas Rangers
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
Guessing Prison

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
Clint Eastwood
> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
Boris Karloff
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Ian McKellan?

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
I'm too sexy ;-)

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Fleming. No, not Ian

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?
Ferris Wheel

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
Argh.. is it Mash or Seinfeld? I guess the latter

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
I will keep guessing Versailles

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
Dag Hammarskjold?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Karl Marx
> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
Bader-Meinhoff

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Christopher?

-- Jarmo
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 4:09:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin.

ObTrivia : During the recent renovation of the Brandenberg Gate, it was
covered with a cloth, painted to look like the Gate itself. What could you
see between the arches on this painting.

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?

Dublin

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Paris

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Milan?

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?

Liverpooll

> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?

Dog racing

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

Munich. Or possibly Montreal.

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?

Footie.

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?

Headingly

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?

NZ?

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas

> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?

Saudi Arabia?

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Largely set in prisons

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?

How Green Was Myfanwe

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt

Boris Karloff

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?

Richard Harris?

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?

Bernard Cribbins

> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?

The Gibbons. Weirdly, I was listening to "The Goodies : Almost Live In
Cricklewood" last night.

> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?

Whispering Grass

> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?

Kenny "Sid Snot" Everett

> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?

Spitting Image

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.

The Lion, The Witch + The Wardrobe

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

Nineteen Eighty Four

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Pride + Prej?

> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?

Hovercraft

> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin

Yo-yo?

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Fleming

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

Ferris Wheel?

> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?

"Nasty" Nick Cotton

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

M*A*S*H

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?

William "G" Stewart

> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?

Sir Michael Horden

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)

Galahad?

> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

D-Day

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?

Dam Busters

> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?

Trafalgar

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?

York?

> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?

Grimsby? ... or Hull

> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?

Lake District

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?

Dylan Thomas (whoever he is)

> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

Kurt Waldheim?

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?

Tony B

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?

Baader-Meinhof group

> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?

Horses

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher R Milne

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

St Martins

> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"

Slade

> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?

Dennis T. Menace (UK edition)
--
Gareth Owen
If you're not part of the solution

LarryLard wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>
> Only new answers I hope.
>
>> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
>
> Liverpool

No.

>> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> Edgbaston

No

>> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
>> during the Falklands War?
>> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> HMS Sheffield (and some transport ship I think?)

Right. IIRC, the other answer is Atlantic Conveyor.

>> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
>> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
>
> There were (at least) five treaties concluded after WWI, all of which
> modified the political map of Europe in some way. They were Versailles
> (with Germany), Neuilly (with Bulgaria), St Germain (with Austria),
> Sevres (1920) and Lausanne (1923) (with Turkey), Trianon (1920) (with
> Hungary). Versailles, Neuilly and St Germain were all signed in 1919.

That all makes you Very Clever Indeed, and gives you Many Extra Points.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:15:13 PM

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
>
> Liverpooll

No

>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
>
> Munich. Or possibly Montreal.

Former

>> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
>
> Footie.

Nope

>> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
>
> NZ?

The other lot.

>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
>
> Saudi Arabia?

Hah. I just realised why that sounds like a correct answer. Badouin,
Bedouin.

No.

>> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
>> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
>
> Yo-yo?

Nope

>> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
>> during the Falklands War?
>> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> Galahad?

No

>> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
>
> Grimsby? ... or Hull

Neither

Rest correct.

Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> >
> > Grimsby? ... or Hull
>
> Neither
>
> Rest correct.

I was thinking of the National Fishing Heritage Centre
(which is in Grimsby)
--
Gareth Owen
So much depends upon a red

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin
> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Dublin
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
Paris
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
Swimming
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
Headingley

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
Ireland?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
Sweden
> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
Texas Rangers?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
Jordan?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
Stephen King?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
How Green Was My Valley
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
Clint Eastwood
> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
Boris Karloff?
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Richard Harris

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
Bernard Cribbens
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
Jasper Carrott (was "Magic Roundabout" on the B-side?)
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
Whispering Grass
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
Kenny Everett
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
Spitting Image

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
Peter Pan
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
1984
> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice
> 30. Call me Ishmael.
Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
Hovercraft
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
Hula Hoop
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Alexander Fleming
> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?
The Ferris Wheel?
> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
Leadbetter
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
(my first reaction was Den Watts, but he helped break the door down,
so it seems unlikely. OTOH since that's the only episode of
EastEnders I have every watched... :-)
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
MASH?
> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
William G Stewart
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
Michael Hordern
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
HMS
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
D-Day
> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
The Dambusters?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
Trafalgar
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
Lincoln
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
London
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
Lundy?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
Lake District

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
Catherine Zeta Jones?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
Tony Blair
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Karl Marx
> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
Bader-Meinhof
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
Horses?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Christopher
> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
St Martin's
> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Dennis the Menace

--
David Brain
London, UK

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > Grimsby? ... or Hull
>>
>> Neither
>>
>> Rest correct.
>
> I was thinking of the National Fishing Heritage Centre
> (which is in Grimsby)

I remember Garry Croft being interviewed in a football magazine once,
and the first question they asked was "So, does Grimsby really smell of
fish?" Apparently, it really does.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:09:09 PM

David Brain wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
> Swimming

No.

>> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> Ireland?

No.

>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> Jordan?

No.

>> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
>> Mean Machine have in common?
> Stephen King?

Nope.

>> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> Jasper Carrott (was "Magic Roundabout" on the B-side?)

That's the one, yes.

>> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
>> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> (my first reaction was Den Watts, but he helped break the door down,
> so it seems unlikely. OTOH since that's the only episode of
> EastEnders I have every watched... :-)

:)

It wasn't Dirty Den, no.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:25:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?

Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?

Dublin

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?

Parils

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?

Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?

Man United

> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?

Horse Racing?

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

Munich, 72

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?

Football?

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?

Canada?

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?

Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

All set in prisons

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt

Boris Karloff

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?

Richard Harris

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?

Jasper Carrot

> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?

Whispering Grass

> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?

Spitting Image

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.

TLTWATW

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Pride and Prejudice

> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Call me Moby

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?

Hovercraft

> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Fleming

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

Ferris Wheel

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?

Den?

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

Friends

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?

William G Stewart

> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?

Michael Horden?

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)

Sir Galahad?

> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

Normandy landings

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?

The Dambusters

> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?

Trafalgar

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Versailles?

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?

Liverpool?

> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?

Severn?

> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?

Lake District

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?

KW?

> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?

Boutros Boutros Gali (sp?)?

> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?

Rose?

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?

Tony B

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?

Livestock?

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher Robin

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

St Martin's

> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?

Denis T Menace
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:21:52 PM

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> European Cities
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
>
> Madrid?

No

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
>
> 1984?

Nope

[...]

> ObTrivia: What is Mean Machine's U.S. equivalent?

The Longest Yard.

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
>
> 1984 (geez, you guys love that book!)

I do, yes.

> ----
> "I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right. Nobody
> does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came along."
> --Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever Jeopardy!
> champion

Cravath never held the record. It was held by Ned Williamson, who hit 27
over a short porch in Chicago in the 1880s, until Ruth broke it.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:21:53 PM

In article <87hdsaobqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
:>
:> 1984?

If I'm actually old enough to remember watching those Olympics, does that
make me an old fogey, or a *really* old fogey?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:21:53 PM

> Andy Jakcsy wrote:
>
> > "I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right.
Nobody
> > does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came
along."
> > --Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever
Jeopardy!
> > champion
>
> Cravath never held the record. It was held by Ned Williamson, who hit 27
> over a short porch in Chicago in the 1880s, until Ruth broke it.

At the end of the 1920 season Cravath led all active players in career HR
with 119. He then retired. The all-time career HR leader at that point was
Roger Connor, with 138. Ruth passed both of them in 1921.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:36:59 PM

Richard Schultz wrote:

> In article <87hdsaobqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
> :> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
> :>
> :> 1984?
>
> If I'm actually old enough to remember watching those Olympics, does that
> make me an old fogey, or a *really* old fogey?

I remember the 84 Olympics, so if you're talking about them, you're a
sprightly youngster. If you're talking about the 72 Olympics, then
you're a really old fogey, grandad.

--
!