What is .Net Framework??

March 15, 2005 2:00:35 PM

My computer is running XP Home, SP2 and I have a problem with something
called .Net Framework. Windows auto update keeps telling me that I have
to install "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1
Service Pack 1 (KB886903)" When I try to install it, it downloads fine
but the install fails. I have tried twice to get assistance on updating
this from MS and both times I have received a response that was not
relavent to the problem and both times the email provided by the support
professional would not work.
Even though my computer is otherwise working fine and the .Net Framework
glitch is probably only annoying, I am on the verge of a disk format and
clean install. I'd rather not since I have many apps to reinstall, so I
am hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with the problem.
Below is the error message I get when I try to install the program or
when I try to run MS apps such as Defrag or Disk Cleanup:

NET Framework Initialization Error
To run this application, you first must install one of the following
versions of the .Net Framework: V1.1.14322
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the
appropriate version of the .Net Framework.

Thank you for any assistance.

Ken Gash

More about : net framework

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:55:44 AM

What is .NET
http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx

some newer programs require it and usually they include the parts of .NET
that they require sounds like you don't have the .NET installed
if you want to to upgrade .NET components, you'll need to install .NET
first.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:55:45 AM

In article <QJJZd.6449$Z07.4225@trnddc02>, visitor@corner.bar says...
> What is .NET
> http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Basics.aspx
>
> some newer programs require it and usually they include the parts of .NET
> that they require sounds like you don't have the .NET installed
> if you want to to upgrade .NET components, you'll need to install .NET
> first.

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me what I have to do to
install .NET?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:33:34 AM

go get a hotmail.com email account or maybe www.msn.com and click hotmail
or msn messenger links near the page top usually.
Either one should require and offer up .net passport as an install or
download of reasonable bytes yet minimal complete package.

!