Funny hardware item question - Help my daughter please !!

Charles

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

My daughter got a question from primary school, which give the whole
family sleepless night. If you know what this item is, please help.
Thank you !!!

In a local hardware shop, 1 costs 14p yet it costs 28 for 50 and 42 to
144. What is being bought?

Thanks!

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

House numbers. the #1 costs 14P the numbers 5 and 0 cost 14P each etc.

"Machiabelly" <machi@pe.eastlink.ca> wrote in message news:<K1AQc.43663$vO1.220749@nnrp1.uunet.ca>...
> House numbers. the #1 costs 14P the numbers 5 and 0 cost 14P each etc.
>

> My daughter got a question from primary school, which give the whole family
> sleepless night. If you know what this item is, please help. Thank you !!!
>
> In a local hardware shop, 1 costs 14p yet it costs 28 for 50 and 42 to 144.
> What is being bought?
>
> Thanks!

Thank you very much, Machiablelly, you are Genius!