Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

put favorites program in the task bar so list shows as a f..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:41:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi, when i go to the favourites icon in internet explorer ( ie 6, windows
xp ) to look at the list there, i find it time consuming to try and find
things because the list is not in alphabetical order. ( can it be put into
alphbetical order?)

What I have tried to do is to find the favourites 'program' ( by doing a
search for favorites in the 'c' drive) so that i can put it as a desktop
icon or taskbar icon. Then if i can open all the favourites in a normal
folder, it could easily be set up to 'automatically' arrange them in
alphabetical order.

When i do a search in the 'c' drive for favourites i get masses of files. I
have chosen one or two and put them as icons. But when i open them up via
this icon they have not 'automatically' updated with the most recent
additions to the favorites list.

Please would someone be able to tell me which of the 'favorite' files i
should choose to put in the task bar as an icon, which would update when i
add more favorites to the favorites list ? thanks for any assistance.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:41:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Click on the *word* Favorites at the top, not the icon.
Right click on the drop-down-box- and select: Sort by name.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"ghbt" <blue.star77@REMOOVEvirgin.net> wrote in message
news:9EIZd.338$_u3.152@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi, when i go to the favourites icon in internet explorer
> ( ie 6, windows xp ) to look at the list there, i find it
> time consuming to try and find things because the list is
> not in alphabetical order. ( can it be put into
> alphbetical order?)
>
> What I have tried to do is to find the favourites
> 'program' ( by doing a search for favorites in the 'c'
> drive) so that i can put it as a desktop icon or taskbar
> icon. Then if i can open all the favourites in a normal
> folder, it could easily be set up to 'automatically'
> arrange them in alphabetical order.
>
> When i do a search in the 'c' drive for favourites i get
> masses of files. I have chosen one or two and put them as
> icons. But when i open them up via this icon they have
> not 'automatically' updated with the most recent
> additions to the favorites list.
>
> Please would someone be able to tell me which of the
> 'favorite' files i should choose to put in the task bar as
> an icon, which would update when i add more favorites to
> the favorites list ? thanks for any assistance.
>
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:41:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Start up IE again. On the toolbar at the top of the page click on
where it says Favorites (between View and Tools). A menu should
pop down. Right click anywhere on that menu and select "Sort by
name". This should give you a list in alphabetical order. If you
have any sub folders within your Favorites do the same for each
one.

If you have a long list of Favorites it might also be helpful to
create folders and group similar sites together. To accomplish
this look for a folder in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name

--
Nepatsfan
"ghbt" <blue.star77@REMOOVEvirgin.net> wrote in message
news:9EIZd.338$_u3.152@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi, when i go to the favourites icon in internet explorer ( ie
> 6, windows xp ) to look at the list there, i find it time
> consuming to try and find things because the list is not in
> alphabetical order. ( can it be put into alphbetical order?)
>
> What I have tried to do is to find the favourites 'program' (
> by doing a search for favorites in the 'c' drive) so that i can
> put it as a desktop icon or taskbar icon. Then if i can open
> all the favourites in a normal folder, it could easily be set
> up to 'automatically' arrange them in alphabetical order.
>
> When i do a search in the 'c' drive for favourites i get masses
> of files. I have chosen one or two and put them as icons. But
> when i open them up via this icon they have not
> 'automatically' updated with the most recent additions to the
> favorites list.
>
> Please would someone be able to tell me which of the 'favorite'
> files i should choose to put in the task bar as an icon, which
> would update when i add more favorites to the favorites list ?
> thanks for any assistance.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:44:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

thanks for all responses, most helpful.

would you be patient with a novice and please detail how to do this exactly
please:

look for a folder in the following location:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name

many thanks

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
news:isydneUeoNa3xqrfRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Start up IE again. On the toolbar at the top of the page click on where it
> says Favorites (between View and Tools). A menu should pop down. Right
> click anywhere on that menu and select "Sort by name". This should give
> you a list in alphabetical order. If you have any sub folders within your
> Favorites do the same for each one.
>
> If you have a long list of Favorites it might also be helpful to create
> folders and group similar sites together. To accomplish this look for a
> folder in the following location:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "ghbt" <blue.star77@REMOOVEvirgin.net> wrote in message
> news:9EIZd.338$_u3.152@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>> Hi, when i go to the favourites icon in internet explorer ( ie 6, windows
>> xp ) to look at the list there, i find it time consuming to try and find
>> things because the list is not in alphabetical order. ( can it be put
>> into alphbetical order?)
>>
>> What I have tried to do is to find the favourites 'program' ( by doing a
>> search for favorites in the 'c' drive) so that i can put it as a desktop
>> icon or taskbar icon. Then if i can open all the favourites in a normal
>> folder, it could easily be set up to 'automatically' arrange them in
>> alphabetical order.
>>
>> When i do a search in the 'c' drive for favourites i get masses of files.
>> I have chosen one or two and put them as icons. But when i open them up
>> via this icon they have not 'automatically' updated with the most recent
>> additions to the favorites list.
>>
>> Please would someone be able to tell me which of the 'favorite' files i
>> should choose to put in the task bar as an icon, which would update when
>> i add more favorites to the favorites list ? thanks for any assistance.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:44:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Whenever you click on "Add to favorites" in Internet Explorer,
you're really creating a shortcut to that web page in this
folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name)\Favorites

Here are three ways to access this folder, starting with the
simplest:

1. On the Start menu, if you see a listing for Favorites, right
click on it and select Open.

2. Open My Computer. Open your C drive. Open Documents and
Settings. Find and open the folder associated with your user
account. Open the Favorites folder.

3. Go to Start -> Run and type explorer in the Open box and click
on the OK button. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Documents
and Settings\(Your User Name)\Favorites

To organize your favorites you might want to try the following:

1. Start by drawing up a plan on how you want to organize your
favorites. How many new folders will you need to create? Which
sites are going in each folder?

2. Open your Favorites folder as described earlier.

3. Right click an open area in your Favorites folder.
Select New from the menu that pops up.
Select Folder from the next menu.
Enter a descriptive name for the folder. For this example let's
call it Music.
Next, while holding down the CTRL key, click on all the shortcuts
you want to move into the Music folder.
Release the CTRL key.
Click and hold down the left mouse button on one of the
highlighted icons.
While holding down the left mouse button drag the collection of
shortcuts onto the folder you created.
Release the left mouse button.
Now, when you click on Favorites in IE, you should see a folder
titled Music which contains all the favorites you just moved.

Create as many folders as you need to organize your favorites.
You can also create subfolders within the top level of folders.

Keep in mind that if your computer has multiple user accounts,
each user will have their own Favorites folder. What that means
is that any Favorites that are created by one user will not show
up when another user opens Internet Explorer and clicks on
Favorites.

I hope this is the sort of information you were looking for. If
not, post back with any additional questions you might have.
--
Nepatsfan
"ghbt" <blue.star77@REMOOVEvirgin.net> wrote in message
news:azJZd.22945$3A6.15167@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> thanks for all responses, most helpful.
>
> would you be patient with a novice and please detail how to do
> this exactly please:
>
> look for a folder in the following location:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name
>
> many thanks
>
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> news:isydneUeoNa3xqrfRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>> Start up IE again. On the toolbar at the top of the page click
>> on where it says Favorites (between View and Tools). A menu
>> should pop down. Right click anywhere on that menu and select
>> "Sort by name". This should give you a list in alphabetical
>> order. If you have any sub folders within your Favorites do
>> the same for each one.
>>
>> If you have a long list of Favorites it might also be helpful
>> to create folders and group similar sites together. To
>> accomplish this look for a folder in the following location:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "ghbt" <blue.star77@REMOOVEvirgin.net> wrote in message
>> news:9EIZd.338$_u3.152@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>>> Hi, when i go to the favourites icon in internet explorer (
>>> ie 6, windows xp ) to look at the list there, i find it time
>>> consuming to try and find things because the list is not in
>>> alphabetical order. ( can it be put into alphbetical order?)
>>>
>>> What I have tried to do is to find the favourites 'program'
>>> ( by doing a search for favorites in the 'c' drive) so that i
>>> can put it as a desktop icon or taskbar icon. Then if i can
>>> open all the favourites in a normal folder, it could easily
>>> be set up to 'automatically' arrange them in alphabetical
>>> order.
>>>
>>> When i do a search in the 'c' drive for favourites i get
>>> masses of files. I have chosen one or two and put them as
>>> icons. But when i open them up via this icon they have not
>>> 'automatically' updated with the most recent additions to
>>> the favorites list.
>>>
>>> Please would someone be able to tell me which of the
>>> 'favorite' files i should choose to put in the task bar as an
>>> icon, which would update when i add more favorites to the
>>> favorites list ? thanks for any assistance.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!