Five More Easy Pieces

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

These always start easy...

Identify the following five films.
Bonus points for actors / characters / context too.
All feature in IMDB's 250 greatest

i) If history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.

ii) I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

iii) They don't have meetings about rainbows.

iv) I thought I took it rather well under the circumstances.
I tried to run them both over with a car.

v) Why don't they slow up? Hell, they could even go faster, at least that'd
be a change.

vi) Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

viii)Would sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?

xi) Son, whatever you do, don't sell that cow!

x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.

Once our resident whizz kids knock these off, I'll set some harder ones.
--
Gareth Owen
By the time you swear you're his, shivering and sighing

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On 24 Aug 2004 18:18:23 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>These always start easy...
>
>Identify the following five films.
>Bonus points for actors / characters / context too.
>All feature in IMDB's 250 greatest
>
>i) If history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.

Godfather? 1 or 2?

>ii) I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

Could be anything where a character gets a disease, I suppose.

Love Story? Terms of Endearment?

>iii) They don't have meetings about rainbows.

Wizard of Oz 2: Dorothy Does Wall Street.

>iv) I thought I took it rather well under the circumstances.
> I tried to run them both over with a car.

Yes! Manhattan!

>v) Why don't they slow up? Hell, they could even go faster, at least that'd
> be a change.
>
>vi) Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

Now, this is a trick, right? We're only supposed to answer the first
five, right?

How's it gonna look me handing in my answer to number 6 when you only
asked for 5. Hellooo?? :)

>viii)Would sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?
>
>xi) Son, whatever you do, don't sell that cow!
>
>x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
> I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.

No movie involving baseball belongs on any top 250 I would ever list!
Add a guy named "Pudge" and you can forget even top 1,000! :)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<r5ibrh0h2u8.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>...
> These always start easy...
>
> Identify the following five films.
> Bonus points for actors / characters / context too.
> All feature in IMDB's 250 greatest
>
> i) If history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.

Godfather 2

> ii) I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

Alien 1

> iii) They don't have meetings about rainbows.

The Sixth Sense

> iv) I thought I took it rather well under the circumstances.
> I tried to run them both over with a car.

Manhattan

> v) Why don't they slow up? Hell, they could even go faster, at least that'd
> be a change.

Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid

> vi) Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

Back to the Future

> viii)Would sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?
(Where is vii, by the way???)

Trainspotting

> xi) Son, whatever you do, don't sell that cow!

Bonnie and Clyde

> x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
> I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.

Good Will Hunting

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Dgates <dgates@spamlinkline.com> wrote

2

> >ii) I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.
>
> Could be anything where a character gets a disease, I suppose.
>
> Love Story? Terms of Endearment?

No. But this film might conceivably be on a list of "Films that do not
resemble Terms of Endearment or Love Story in the slightest"

> >iv) I thought I took it rather well under the circumstances.
> > I tried to run them both over with a car.
>
> Yes! Manhattan!

Yes!

> >vi) Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?
>
> Now, this is a trick, right? We're only supposed to answer the first
> five, right?
>
> How's it gonna look me handing in my answer to number 6 when you only
> asked for 5. Hellooo?? :)

Well, at least you didn't rap me on the top of the head.

> >x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
> > I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.
>
> No movie involving baseball belongs on any top 250 I would ever list!

i) This movie is not really about baseball. Just this scene.
ii) Bull Durham, which is very much about baseball, is a truly great film

--
Gareth Owen
Table manners are for people with nothing better to do.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <r5ioel0dxyw.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>, usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> > >x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
> > > I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.
> >
> > No movie involving baseball belongs on any top 250 I would ever list!
>
> i) This movie is not really about baseball. Just this scene.

Good Will Hunting?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On 24 Aug 2004 18:18:23 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>These always start easy...
>
>Identify the following five films.
Five?

>vi) Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?
Darn - my one and only.
Back To The Future. The young Dr Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd)
when Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) answers his question "Who's president
in 1985?" with "Ronald Regan".

(Having Googled the rest out of curiosity, I find I have a good excuse
for not knowing 6 out of the remaining 9, namely not having seen them,
and a moderate excuse for 2 of the other 3, namely not having seen
them within the last two decades. I should have got number ii,
though.)

Cheers - Ian

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:07:17 -0700, Dgates <dgates@spamlinkline.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Aug 2004 18:18:23 +0100, Gareth Owen
><usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>x) Would have been nice to catch that game though.
>> I didn't know Pudge was gonna hit the home run.
>
>No movie involving baseball belongs on any top 250 I would ever list!

Why is that?

>Add a guy named "Pudge" and you can forget even top 1,000! :)

Just for a name? Are there any other names that automatically knock a
movie out of the top 1,000?

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

> Good Will Hunting?

Bingo
--

RMoebs1@compuserve.de (Peter Pan) writes:

> > viii)Would sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?
> Trainspotting

Nice spot. I thought that was the hardest.
All of these were right.

> (Where is vii, by the way???)

Err, good point. Here you go.

vii) Just because the f**ker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.
--
Gareth Owen
Table manners are for people with nothing better to do.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote

> Here you go.
>
> vii) Just because the f**ker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.

Bratt Pitt to Morgan Freeman, I believe.

Se7en

(Disturbing movie, I think)

Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> writes:

> >Add a guy named "Pudge" and you can forget even top 1,000! :)
>
> Just for a name? Are there any other names that automatically knock a
> movie out of the top 1,000?

Jar-jar
--
Gareth Owen
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

RMoebs1@compuserve.de (Peter Pan) writes:

> Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
>
> > Here you go.
> >
> > vii) Just because the f**ker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.
>
> Bratt Pitt to Morgan Freeman, I believe.
>
> Se7en

Correct
--
Gareth Owen
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:57:26 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:

> Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> xi) Son, whatever you do, don't sell that cow!
>
> Bonnie and Clyde

Gene Hackman as Buck Barrow, in the car that they'd just stolen from Gene
Wilder, the undertaker, and his fiancee.

I just _had_ to say it. Sorry.

"Now boy, are you gonna marry the girl?"

;-)
Rich