Pub Quiz - 20040819

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

TV
1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?
2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second Blackadder
series?
3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
4) In which prison was Porridge set?
5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
led to the founding of the charity Shelter?

Sidekicks
6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?
7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?
8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?
9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?
10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
a sidekick called Tinker?

Fashion
11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
little black dress?
12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?
13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?
14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
blade?
15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
Antoine de Caunes?

Music
16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"
18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main Street whilst
they were tax exiles in France?
19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
the other?
21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson
22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca Cola
advert?
23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
soldier in Vietnam?
24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?
25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?

Alcohol
26) What colour is creme de menthe?
27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
make Drambuie?
28) What flavour is Cointreau?
29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
many years?
30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

General Knowledge
31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
car manufacturing company?
32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers
33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy Scouts,
and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout get-togethers?
34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?
35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?
36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?
37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
Olympics?
38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?
40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
baseball team?
41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?
42) What was the French tv show Le Man
43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?
44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton
45) In which city was The Guardian first published?
46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?
47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?
48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?
49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
engineer?
50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?
52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?
53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?
54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?
55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
and butter?
56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
rights movement?
58) In children's literature, which group of kids had a dog called
Scamper?
59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
commercially practical helicopter?
60) For which puppet did Ivan Owen provide the voice?

I hate you, Butler

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> TV
> 1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?

Denver

> 2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second Blackadder
> series?
> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
> 4) In which prison was Porridge set?
> 5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
> led to the founding of the charity Shelter?
>
> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?

John

> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?
> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?

Robin, the Boy Wonder

> 9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?
> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
> a sidekick called Tinker?
>
> Fashion
> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?
> 12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?
> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

Gianni Versace

> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
> blade?

stiletto(-heeled shoes)

> 15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
> Antoine de Caunes?
>
> Music
> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
> 17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
> with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"

Penny Lane

> 18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main Street whilst
> they were tax exiles in France?

the Rolling Stones

> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
> by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
> the other?
> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson

this must be a trick

> 22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca Cola
> advert?
> 23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
> soldier in Vietnam?

19

> 24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?

UB40

> 25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?

Burly Chassis

> Alcohol
> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?

green

> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?
> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?

orange

> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
> many years?

absinthe

> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

Cointreau-flavored juice

> General Knowledge
> 31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
> car manufacturing company?

General Motors

> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers

Alexandre Dumas

> 33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy Scouts,
> and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout get-togethers?

jamboree

8

> 36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?
> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
> Olympics?
> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?

backstroke

> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
> baseball team?

Snoopy

> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?
> 42) What was the French tv show Le Man
> 43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?
> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton
> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?

Manchester, England, England / across the Atlantic Sea

> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?
> 47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?

Barcelona

> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?
> 49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
> engineer?
> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

Gross Domestic Product

> 52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?
> 53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?
> 54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?
> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
> and butter?
> 56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
> rights movement?

give up her seat on the bus

> 58) In children's literature, which group of kids had a dog called
> Scamper?
> 59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
> commercially practical helicopter?

Igor Sikorsky

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> TV
> 2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second Blackadder
> series?

Queen Elizabeth I

> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?

Emmerdale?

> 4) In which prison was Porridge set?

Slade

> 5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
> led to the founding of the charity Shelter?

Cathy Come Home

> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?

John

> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?

DM

> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?

Robin ... no Nightwing ... no Robin again...

> 9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?

Kevin Whatley

> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
> a sidekick called Tinker?

Lovejoy

> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?

Quant?

> 12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?

Shoes

> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

Gianni Versace

> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
> blade?

Stilettos

> 15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
> Antoine de Caunes?

Jean Paul Gautier?

> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?

> 17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
> with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"

Penny Lane

> 18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main Street whilst
> they were tax exiles in France?

Stones

> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
> by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
> the other?

Mary's Boy Child?

> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?

Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson

> 22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca Cola
> advert?

Oh ah heck. That was my answer for 16... I'll go change it.
I'd Like To Buy^H^H^H Teach The World To Sing?

> 23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
> soldier in Vietnam?

N-n-n-n-no idea.

> 24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?

UB40

> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?

Green

> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?

Honey

> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?

Oranges

> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
> many years?

Absinthe (makes the heart grow fonder)

> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

OJ

> 31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
> car manufacturing company?

GM

> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers

Dumas

> 33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy Scouts,
> and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout get-togethers?

Jamboree

> 34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?

Human flesh

> 35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?

8?

> 36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?

MoTD?

> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
> Olympics?

Javelin

> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?

Back

> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
> baseball team?

Snoopy

> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?

St Paul's

> 43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?

100 (99.94)

> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton

40 pounds^(1/2)

> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?

Manchester

> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?

Rebecca

> 47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?

Barcelona?

> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?

Gymnastics. Or ice skating

> 49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
> engineer?

IK Brunel

> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?

Yes. (Never avoid the obvious, thats my motto)

> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

Gross Domestic Product

> 52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?

Fleet Air Arm

> 53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?

Turin

> 54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?

Cesarovich? (sp?)

> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
> and butter?

Jack Horner

> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
> rights movement?

Refused to move to the back of a segregated bus.

> 59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
> commercially practical helicopter?

Sikorsky?

--
Gareth Owen
"The entire body of computer science can be viewed as nothing more than the

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> TV
> 1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?
> 2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second
> Blackadder series?
Queen Eliz. I
> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
Beckindale
> 4) In which prison was Porridge set?
Slade
> 5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
> led to the founding of the charity Shelter?
Kathy come home?

> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?
John
> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?
Dangermouse
> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?
Robin
> 9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?
Kevin Whately
> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film ,
> featured a sidekick called Tinker?
>
> Fashion
> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?
Coco Chanel
> 12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?
> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?
Versace
> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a
> tapered blade?
Stiletto
> 15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
> Antoine de Caunes?
Gaultier

> Music
> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the
> BBC?
>17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a
> banker with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind
> his back"
Penny Lane
>18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main
> Street whilst they were tax exiles in France?
> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
The Bachelors
> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double
> A-side by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What
> was on the other?
Pass the dutchy
> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson
Gilbert and Sullivan? (LOL)
> 22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca
> Cola advert?
I'd like to teach the world to sing
> 23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of
> a soldier in Vietnam?
nnnnn-nineteen
> 24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?
> 25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?
Burly Chassis

> Alcohol
> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?
Green
> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?
Honey
> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?
Orange
> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France
> for many years?
Absinthe
> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)
orange juice

> General Knowledge
> 31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
> car manufacturing company?
GM
> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers
Dumas
> 33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy
> Scouts, and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout
> get-togethers?
Jamboree
>34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?
Human
> 35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?
8
> 36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?
MOTD?
> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
> Olympics?
Swimming
> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
Big
> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?
Butterfly
> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie
> Brown's baseball team?
Linus?
> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?
St Paul's Cathedral
> 42) What was the French tv show Le Man
> 43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?
100
> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton
Pony
> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?
Manchester
> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?
> 47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?
Barcelona
> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?
Gymnastics
> 49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
> engineer?
> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
Fish
> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?
Gross domestic product
> 52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?
Fleet air arm
> 53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?
Torino
> 54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?
Seczarevitch (sp?)
> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
> and butter?
Tommy Tucker
> 56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
Island?
> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the
> civil rights movement?
Stand up
> 58) In children's literature, which group of kids had a dog called
> Scamper?
> 59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
> commercially practical helicopter?
Sikorsky

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
>
> Emmerdale?

Nope.

>> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
>> a sidekick called Tinker?
>
> Lovejoy

Hah. No.

>> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
>> little black dress?
>
> Quant?

No.

>> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
>> by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
>> the other?
>
> Mary's Boy Child?

Nope

>> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
>> Olympics?
>
> Javelin

No.

>> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton
>
> 40 pounds^(1/2)

Nope.

>> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?
>
> Gymnastics. Or ice skating

The former.

>> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
>
> Yes. (Never avoid the obvious, thats my motto)

fx: Icy stare

>> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
>> and butter?
>
> Jack Horner

No. He was more a sitting-in-the-corner man than a
singing-for-his-supper kinda guy.

Rest correct.

"Adventure came not from the half-starved, but from those who were
well fed enough to feel ambition"
-- William Beveridge

mUs1Ka wrote:

> Keith Willovghby wrote:
>> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
> The Bachelors

No, althovgh they did have a hit with it in that year.

>> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a dovble
>> A-side by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What
>> was on the other?
> Pass the dvtchy

No.

>> 21) For a point each, who dvetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
>> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson
> Gilbert and Svllivan? (LOL)

No :)

>> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
>> Olympics?
> Swimming

Nope

>> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
> Big

Most amvsing. :) "Apart from any nvmber of adjectives, what word . . ."

>> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?
> Bvtterfly

No

>> 40) In the Peanvts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie
>> Brown's baseball team?
> Linvs?

No.

>> 44) What is the sqvare root of a pony + monkey + ton
> Pony

Hah. Yes!

>> 56) Lvndy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
> Island?

Hmm. The 'y' bit is island, IIRC, bvt yov need more for the point.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Unionise.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <877jrnzjsk.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> TV
> 1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?
> 2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second Blackadder
> series?
> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
> 4) In which prison was Porridge set?
> 5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
> led to the founding of the charity Shelter?
>
> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?
> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?
> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?
> 9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?
> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
> a sidekick called Tinker?
>
> Fashion
> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?
> 12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?
> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

Finally one I know!. Gianni Versace.

> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
> blade?

stiletto heels

> 15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
> Antoine de Caunes?
>
> Music
> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?

Why Don't We Do It In The Road

> 17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
> with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"

Penny Lane

> 18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main Street whilst
> they were tax exiles in France?

Rolling Stones

> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
> by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
> the other?
> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?

Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson

> 22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca Cola advert?

I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing

> 23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
> soldier in Vietnam?

nineteen

> 24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?
> 25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?
>
> Alcohol
> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?

greenish

> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?

sugar

> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?

orangey

> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
> many years?

absinthe

> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

orange juice

> General Knowledge
> 31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
> car manufacturing company?

General Motors

> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers

Alexandre Dumas (the elder, I believe)

> 33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy Scouts,
> and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout get-togethers?

Jamboree

> 34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?

human

> 35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?

eight?

> 36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?
> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
> Olympics?
> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?

"ass," no . . . "mud," almost . . . I give up

> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?

If my memory from last week holds up, it is backstroke.

> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
> baseball team?
> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?

Westminster Abbey?

> 42) What was the French tv show Le Man
> 43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?
> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton
> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?
> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?

Laura

> 47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?
> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?
> 49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
> engineer?
> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?

fish. Why was this structured as multiple choice?

> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

Gross Domestic Product

> 52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?
> 53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?
> 54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?
> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
> and butter?
> 56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
> rights movement?

sit in the back of the bus

Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?

Denver, Co

6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?

John. Or James, depending on Mrs. Watson's senility...

7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?

Danger Mouse

8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?

Robin (or Nightwing later in his career...but then he wouldn't be a sidekick
anymore :) )

13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

Gianni Versace

14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
blade?

Stiletto heels

Music
17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"

Penny Lane

19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?

Perry Como?

21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson

Er, Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson? :)

23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
soldier in Vietnam?

19

Alcohol
26) What colour is creme de menthe?

green

General Knowledge
31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
car manufacturing company?

General Motors

32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers

Alexandre Dumas

34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?

Human.

35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?

8 in America, not sure about Wales...

39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?

Backstroke, because it starts in the water.

40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
baseball team?

Snoopy of course

51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

Gross Domestic Product

53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?

Torino

57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
rights movement?

Give her seat up to a white person
----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> TV
> 1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?

los angeles

> 2) Which character did Miranda Richardson play in the second Blackadder
> series?

qeI

> 3) In which fictional village is Emmerdale set?
> 4) In which prison was Porridge set?

slade

> 5) Which play, broadcast in 1968 as part of the Wednesday Play series,
> led to the founding of the charity Shelter?

cathy come home

> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?

john

> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?
dangermouse

> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?

robin

> 9) Who played Inspector Morse sidekick Lewis?

kevin whately

> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
> a sidekick called Tinker?

dick barton? dick tracy??

> Fashion
> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?

coco chanel

> 12) What item of clothing is Manolo Blahnik famous for?

shoes

> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

giovanni versace

> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
> blade?

stilletto

> 15) Which fashion designer co-presented the TV show Eurotrash with
> Antoine de Caunes?

jp gaultier

> Music
> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?

> 17) Which Beatles song features the lyric "'On the corner is a banker
> with a motor car. The little children laugh at him behind his back"

penny lane

> 18) Which British band recorded the album Exile on Main Street whilst
> they were tax exiles in France?
> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
> 20) One of the biggest selling singles of the 1970s was a double A-side
> by Boney M. By The Rivers of Babylon was on one side. What was on
> the other?

brown girl in the ring

> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson
> 22)Which song was a UK number one in 1972 after featuring in a Coca Cola
> advert?

> 23) According to Paul Hardcastle in 1985, what was the average age of a
> soldier in Vietnam?

n-n-n-n-nineteen

> 24) Which chart-topping band named themselves after a form?

ub40

> 25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?

shirley bassey

> Alcohol
> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?

green

> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?

honey, sugar

> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?
orange

> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
> many years?

absinthe (makes the heart grow fonder) - it's fantastic stuff - if you like
pernod/pastis you would love absinthe (apart from the price)

> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

whiskey

> General Knowledge
> 31) Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, and Cadillac are all marques from which
> car manufacturing company?

general motors

> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers

alexandre dumas

> 33) What name was given to the 1920 international meeting of Boy Scouts,
> and is now used to describe all such Boy Scout get-togethers?

jamboree

> 34) What type of meat is also called 'long pig'?

human
> 35) How many points is an 'X' worth in Scrabble?

eight
> 36) Which tv programme has a theme tune called Offside?

match of the day?
> 37) In which sport is Wales's Kelly Morgan representing GB at the
> Olympics?
> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?

breast
> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
> baseball team?

linus

> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?

st pauls
> 42) What was the French tv show Le Man
> 43) To the nearest run, what was Don Bradman's Test average?

100 - tragedy it wasnt actually the full ton

> 44) What is the square root of a pony + monkey + ton

> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?

manchester

> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?

rebecca

> 47) Which city is the capital of the region of Catalonia?

barcelona

> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?

gymnastics

> 49) The university that is sited in Uxbridge is named after which
> engineer?

brunel

> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
fish

> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

gross domestic product

> 52) What is the name of the aviation wing of the Royal Navy?

fleet air arm

> 53) In which Italian city do Juventus play their home games?

torino

> 54) Which horserace is named after an heir to the Russian throne?

the czarovich

> 55) In the nursery rhyme, who sang for his supper and got brown bread
> and butter?
> 56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?

monday

> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
> rights movement?

sit in the segregated area on a bus/in a cafe

> 58) In children's literature, which group of kids had a dog called
> Scamper?
> 59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
> commercially practical helicopter?

sikorsky

Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:

> > Music
> > 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
>
> Why Don't We Do It In The Road

How about "The Ballad of John & Yoko"?
(The BBC never cared for Messiah complexes.)

--
Gareth Owen
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
>> baseball team?
>
> Pigpen

Nope.

Rest correct.

"The catcher hits for .318 and catches every day
The pitcher puts religion first and rests on holidays"

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> TV
>> 1) In which city was the US soap Dynasty set?
>
> los angeles

Nope

>> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
>> a sidekick called Tinker?
>
> dick barton? dick tracy??

Neither of those. I don't think anyone got it, but those who guessed,
guessed Dick Barton.

>> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?
>
> breast

Nope.

>> 40) In the Peanuts comic strip, who played shortstop on Charlie Brown's
>> baseball team?
>
> linus

Nope

>> 56) Lundy Island gets its name for the Norse word for what?
>
> monday

Good guess, but no.

Rest correct.

Generalísimo Francisco Franco is still dead

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <877jrnzjsk.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
>
> Why Don't We Do It In The Road

No. Sounds interesting, though.

>> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
>> make Drambuie?
>
> sugar

Not the answer I'm looking for.

>> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
>
> "ass," no . . . "mud," almost . . . I give up

Huge amounts of giggling after I asked this, so I'm guessing everyone
was trying to work out what an 'arse post' could be.

>> 39) Swimming: Which stroke comes first in the medley relay?
>
> If my memory from last week holds up, it is backstroke.

Aye. The only possible stroke to start with, as backstroke starts in the
pool.

>> 41) In which London building is the Whispering Gallery?
>
> Westminster Abbey?

No. T'other one.

>> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?
>
> Laura

Hmm. Close.

>> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
>
> fish. Why was this structured as multiple choice?

Because of my aversion to questions with more than one answer. "What is
a tarpon?". Animal? Fish? Game fish? Sea creature?

Rest correct.

"We sang Cwm Rhondda and Delilah,
Damn, they sounded both the same"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87llg3xu2x.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>
> > In article <877jrnzjsk.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> >> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
> >
> > Why Don't We Do It In The Road
>
> No. Sounds interesting, though.

Are you not old enough to know that it is on the white album?

> >> 38) What word can come before 'hole', 'pie', and 'post'?
> >
> > "ass," no . . . "mud," almost . . . I give up
>
> Huge amounts of giggling after I asked this, so I'm guessing everyone
> was trying to work out what an 'arse post' could be.

Does that mean people are generally familiar with an "ass pie?"

> >> 46) Which book and film were set in a house called Manderley?
> >
> > Laura
>
> Hmm. Close.

I always say Laura when I mean Rebecca. This probably means
I should never date Rebeccas.

> >> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?
> >
> > fish. Why was this structured as multiple choice?
>
> Because of my aversion to questions with more than one answer. "What is
> a tarpon?". Animal? Fish? Game fish? Sea creature?

I see. Good explanation!

--

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
>> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson
>
> this must be a trick

<sigh> Every time, it seems, I manage to do this.

All correct.

"Everything is repairable"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> >> 10) Which fictional detective of comics, radio, tv, and film , featured
> >> a sidekick called Tinker?
> >
> > dick barton? dick tracy??
>
> Neither of those. I don't think anyone got it, but those who guessed,
> guessed Dick Barton.

went to the font on all knowledge on this one ("aged p") sexton blake?

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Marc Dashevsky <usenet@MarcDashevsky.com> writes:
>
>> > Music
>> > 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
>>
>> Why Don't We Do It In The Road
>
> How about "The Ballad of John & Yoko"?
> (The BBC never cared for Messiah complexes.)

No.

Incindentally, I deserve to be shot for the passive tense in that
question. If there's any doubt, it was the BBC that didn't allow it to
be broadcast. I was trying to avoid the 'banned' word.

"The men who run the world are democrats at home and dictators abroad."
- George Monbiot

Matthew Newell wrote:

>> > dick barton? dick tracy??
>>
>> Neither of those. I don't think anyone got it, but those who guessed,
>> guessed Dick Barton.
>>

> went to the font on all knowledge on this one ("aged p") sexton blake?

Correct!

Kill, kill, kill

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> 19) Who was in the top 10 for 35 weeks in 1953 with I Believe?
>
> Perry Como?

No

Rest correct

You can't eat information

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Sidekicks
> 6) What is the first name of Sherlock Holmes's sidekick Dr Watson?

John (H.)

> 7) Which cartoon character has a sidekick called Penfold?

"And these are the adventures of...PENFOLD!
(...and Dangermouse)"

My favorite ever animated show. I first saw it when I was about four.

> 8) How is sidekick Dick Grayson better known?

Robin?

> Fashion
> 11) Which designer is credited with creating the popularity of the
> little black dress?

Coco?

> 13) Which fashion designer was shot dead outside his house in 1997?

Armani?

> 14) Which item of clothing is named after a small dagger with a tapered
> blade?

Stiletto (heels).

> Music
> 21) For a point each, who duetted on I Know Him So Well in 1985?
> Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson

Guess that's an oops.

> 25) Who sang the theme to Diamonds are Forever?

Shirley Bassey? (WAG)

> Alcohol

Every last one of my answers in this section is a (sometimes educated)
guess...

> 26) What colour is creme de menthe?

Green?

> 27) What, apart from herbs, is the main ingredient added to whiskey to
> make Drambuie?

Gin?

> 28) What flavour is Cointreau?

Cognac?

> 29) Which drink is flavoured with wormwood and was banned in France for
> many years?

Absinthe?

> 30) What is added to vodka to make a screwdriver? (one answer)

Orange juice?

> General Knowledge
> 32) Who wrote The Three Musketeers?

Alexandre Dumas, officially.

> 45) In which city was The Guardian first published?

Manchester. (This appeared in my local newspaper's weekly trivia quiz.)

> 48) In which sport could you see a tkachev?

Gymnastics.

> 50) Is tarpon a fish, a bird, or an insect?

Fish. (Why, oh why, do I read Tom Clancy?)

> 51) In economics, what does GDP stand for?

Gross Domestic Product.

> 57) What did Rosa Parks refuse to do in 1955 that the sparked the civil
> rights movement?

Sit in the back of the bus, or get off the bus, I forget which.

> 59) What was the name of the Russian born designer who made the first
> commercially practical helicopter?

Ivan Sikorsky, I think.

Haran
--
'Tis better to have loved and lost, then never to have lost at all.

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Music
> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast
> on the BBC?

I'm fairly sure the answer is Revolution Number 9. At least I
recall some kind of controversy about it that led to its banning
somewhere. Then again, there was also controversy about the LSD
song (Lucy in the Sky) and Strawberry Fields, so it might have
been one of them.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> Music
>> 16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast
>> on the BBC?
>
> I'm fairly sure the answer is Revolution Number 9. At least I
> recall some kind of controversy about it that led to its banning
> somewhere.

It might have been banned, but it wasn't number 1 AFAIK.

We have always been at war with Eastasia

Keith Willoughby wrote:
>16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?

Je t'aime?

--
Neil Sunderland
Braunton, Devon

Please observe the Reply-To address

Neil Sunderland wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>16) Which 1969 UK number one was not allowed to be broadcast on the BBC?
>
> Je t'aime?

Correct!

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> Dan Tilque wrote:
>> I'm fairly sure the answer is Revolution Number 9. At least I
>> recall some kind of controversy about it that led to its banning
>> somewhere.
>
> It might have been banned, but it wasn't number 1 AFAIK.

I didn't really have the format for a #1 hit, had it? Too long, and
not really any catchy melodies.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se