Problems: No more auto DHCP; Have to assign IP maunually; ..

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

My HP laptop PC Windows XP Home was working OK, until recently. The "Obtain
an IP adress automatically" does not work any more, while the other
computers working fine. I assign the IP manually (including subnet, gateway,
DNS) then the PC is now able to connect to Local Network. However, No
internet activities are working, even connecting to the Local Web host:

Ping 192.168.1.10: PASS
Ping LocalWebHost: PASS
file://\\/LocalWebHost: PASS

http://LocalWebHost: FAIL
http://www.yahoo.con: FAIL
Ping yahoo.com: FAIL
Ping 216.109.112.135: FAIL

What could be the problems?

I found "newdotnet" folder under Program File and uninstall that new.not,
but problems are still there.

Please help!

Thank you

Ben

DNS fails: restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then :
IPCONFIG /registerDNS

If no help, look at the results from 'IPCONFIG', to see if the "Default Gateway' matches your router or hub address.

In Network Connections folder, rightclick the LAN icon, and if it reports 'cable disconnected', (a sure sigh of some physical
problem, like a bad plug or cable)
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OWPzdkbKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> My HP laptop PC Windows XP Home was working OK, until recently. The "Obtain
> an IP adress automatically" does not work any more, while the other
> computers working fine. I assign the IP manually (including subnet, gateway,
> DNS) then the PC is now able to connect to Local Network. However, No
> internet activities are working, even connecting to the Local Web host:
>
> Ping 192.168.1.10: PASS
> Ping LocalWebHost: PASS
> file://\\/LocalWebHost: PASS
>
> http://LocalWebHost: FAIL
> http://www.yahoo.con: FAIL
> Ping yahoo.com: FAIL
> Ping 216.109.112.135: FAIL
>
> What could be the problems?
>
> I found "newdotnet" folder under Program File and uninstall that new.not,
> but problems are still there.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thank you
>
> Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> DNS fails: restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then
at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then :
> IPCONFIG /registerDNS

I first tried with IPCONFIG. Then I came up with assign IP address manually.
As stated on previous message, with IP address assigned manually, the PC is
able to connect to Local Network. Therefore physical problem can be
eliminated.

Say the PC address is 192.168.1.5
The Local Web host address is 192.168.1.10, named "LocalWebHost"
> > Ping 192.168.1.10: PASS
> > Ping LocalWebHost: PASS
> > file://\\/LocalWebHost: PASS
> >
> > http://LocalWebHost: FAIL
> > http://www.yahoo.con: FAIL
> > Ping yahoo.com: FAIL
> > Ping 216.109.112.135: FAIL

I check "Route PRINT" everything appears to be OK.
Note that when assigning IP address manually I also have to assign Subnet
mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses. Doing the same thing for
the other PC, say PC2, in the same network, I get that PC2 working
correctly. The PC2 functions normally in both case (automatically or
manually IP address assigning)

The thing is WAN address cannot be reached (ping yahoo.com:FAIL) and http
protocol appears to be block for both Local and WAN (http://LocalWebHost and
http://yahoo.com, both are FAIL)

What could be the problem?

Ben