Pub Quiz - 20040902

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51

1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?
2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
1963, aged 30?
3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?
4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname?
5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
Lace, and The New Seekers?

Sport
6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?
7) How long does a game of netball last (not inclvding injvry time)?
8) Which clvb did Wales striker Robert Earnshaw sign for from Cardiff on
Monday?
9) What was the name of the Sovth African cricket captain who died in a
plane crash in 2002?
10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?

Roads
11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?
12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in
1964?
13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?
14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road?
15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony
Hopkins and Anne Bancroft?

GK
16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
warn of an impending death?
17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?
18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?
19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
beginning."
20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns?
21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,
and the Keystone Cops?
22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the
QEII made?
24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?
25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?
26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?
27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
said?
28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?
29) In horse racing, who or what is known as Bvrlington Bertie?
30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?
31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?
32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
39 years of his life?
33) What was the name of Frank Spencer's davghter in Some Mothers Do
'Ave 'Em?
34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?
35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
after they attacked which covntry?
36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?
37) For a point each, what were the names of the two Royal Fleet
Avxilary ships damaged at Blvff Cove dvring the Falklands War?
38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?
40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save?
41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?
42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
Jean King and Bobby Riggs?
43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease?
44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it?
45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson?
46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
letters 'vnd'?
47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?
48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?
49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?
50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?
51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name?
52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?
53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
of Lords?
54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?
55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
begin their relationship?
56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter?
57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?
58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)
59)Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days?
60)The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Don't let anybody make yov think that God chose America as His divine

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Thv, 02 Sep 2004 23:35:34 +0100, Keith Willovghby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
>scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>
>1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?
Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra
>2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
> 1963, aged 30?
Patsy Cline
>3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?
Jones
>4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname?
Wilson
>5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
> Lace, and The New Seekers?
>
>Sport
>6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?
>7) How long does a game of netball last (not inclvding injvry time)?
>8) Which clvb did Wales striker Robert Earnshaw sign for from Cardiff on
>Monday?
>9) What was the name of the Sovth African cricket captain who died in a
>plane crash in 2002?
>10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?
>
>Roads
>11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?
M5?
>12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in
>1964?
>13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?
>14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road?
>15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony
>Hopkins and Anne Bancroft?
>
>GK
>16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
>warn of an impending death?
>17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?
Great White
>18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?
Five
>19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
>is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
>beginning."
>20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns?
Hitman
>21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,
>and the Keystone Cops?
>22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
>23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the
>QEII made?
>24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?
>25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?
>26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?
>27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
>said?
Beep Beep
>28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?
>29) In horse racing, who or what is known as Bvrlington Bertie?
>30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?
>31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?
>32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
>39 years of his life?
>33) What was the name of Frank Spencer's davghter in Some Mothers Do
>'Ave 'Em?
>34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
>move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?
Paint it
>35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
>after they attacked which covntry?
>36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?
>37) For a point each, what were the names of the two Royal Fleet
> Avxilary ships damaged at Blvff Cove dvring the Falklands War?
>38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
>39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?
Head, on top of (it's a hat)
>40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save?
>41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?
>42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?
>43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease?
>44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it?
>45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson?
>46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
> letters 'vnd'?
>47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?
>48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?
Lvciano
>49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?
Phil Collins
>50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?
>51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name?
>52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?
A Pvmpkin
>53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
> of Lords?
>54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?
>55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
> begin their relationship?
>56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter?
Steel
>57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?
>58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)
Exxon

In article <87eklkpadl.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>
> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?

Sinatra?

> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
> 1963, aged 30?

Patsy Cline

> 3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?
> 4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname?

Wilson

> 5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
> Lace, and The New Seekers?
>
> Sport
> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?
> 7) How long does a game of netball last (not inclvding injvry time)?
> 8) Which clvb did Wales striker Robert Earnshaw sign for from Cardiff on Monday?
> 9) What was the name of the Sovth African cricket captain who died in a plane crash in 2002?
> 10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?

32 inches

> Roads
> 11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?
> 12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in 1964?

Rovte 66

> 13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?

Vatican City

> 14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road?
> 15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony
> Hopkins and Anne Bancroft?
>
> GK
> 16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
> warn of an impending death?
> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?

Great White Shark

>rec. In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?

five

> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Battle of the Bvlge

> 20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns?

Hitman

> 21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man, and the Keystone Cops?

Abbott and Costello

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
> 23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the QEII made?
> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?
> 25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?

sovrce of the Nile

> 26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?
> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally said?

beep beep

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?
> 29) In horse racing, who or what is known as Bvrlington Bertie?
> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?
> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?
> 32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
> 39 years of his life?

On a pedestal in the desert

> 33) What was the name of Frank Spencer's davghter in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em?
> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
> move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?
> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
> after they attacked which covntry?

Finland

> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?

Noah

> 37) For a point each, what were the names of the two Royal Fleet
> Avxilary ships damaged at Blvff Cove dvring the Falklands War?
> 38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
> 39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?
> 40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save?
> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?

Ronald Reagan

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?

Billie Jean King

> 43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease?
> 44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it?
> 45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson?
> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the letters 'vnd'?

vndergrovnd

> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?
> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?
> 49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?
> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?
> 51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name?
> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

pvmpkin

> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse of Lords?
> 54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?

Medicis

> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
> begin their relationship?

Cleopatra

> 56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter?

steel

> 57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?

beer

> 58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)

Esso

> 59) Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days?
> 60) The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?

Tvrin

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Keith Willovghby writes:
> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?

Avalon?

> 3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?

Bowie?

> 12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in
> 1964?

Rovte 66?

> 13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?

Italy.

> 15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony
> Hopkins and Anne Bancroft?

Charing Cross Road.

> 16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
> warn of an impending death?

Banshee?

> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?

5.

> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
> beginning."

El Alamein?

> 21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,
> and the Keystone Cops?

Abbott and Costello.

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?

Stockholm.

> 25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?

The sovrce of the Nile.

> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
> said?

Beep-beep.

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?

Heidi.

> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?

Air-Raid Patrol?

> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?

Tiddlywinks.

> 32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
> 39 years of his life?

On top of a pillar.

> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
> after they attacked which covntry?

Poland.

> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?

Noah.

> 39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?

Head.

> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?

Reagan.

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?

King. Which US president was formerly named King?

> 44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it?

Leo.

> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
> letters 'vnd'?

Undergrovnd.

> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?

My birthplace -- Nottingham.

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?

Lvciano.

> 49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?

Hvey Lewis?

> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?

6.

> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

A pvmpkin.

> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
> of Lords?

The other side?

> 54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?

Borgia.

> 56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter?

Steel.

> 58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)

Esso?

> 60)The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?

Torino (Tvrin)?
--
Mark Brader | "Design an idiot-proof system, and the vniverse
Toronto | will spontaneovsly evolve a higher grade of idiot

My text in this article is in the pvblic domain.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <10jfg01eki3qdef@corp.supernews.com>, msb@vex.net says...
> Which US president was formerly named King?

Gerald Ford?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
>> Which US president was formerly named King?

Marc Dashevsky:
> Gerald Ford?

Yep. Which Canadian Prime Minister was named King? :)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be silly -- send it to Canada"
msb@vex.net -- British postal worker

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87eklkpadl.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>>
>> 10) How high is a regulation tennis net at the centre of the cord?
>
> 32 inches

No, but within the tolerance I allowed to get a point.

>> 13) In which modern country is the Appian Way, a famous Roman road?
>
> Vatican City

No

>> 19) About which battle was Winston Churchill speaking when he said "This
>> is not the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
>
> Battle of the Bulge

Nope

>> 54) Which Italian family produced a Pope and a poisoner?
>
> Medicis

No

>> 57) What do you add to a Welsh rarebit to make a buck rarebit?
>
> beer

Nope

Rest correct.

Curry for breakfast and cornflakes for tea

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willovghby writes:
>> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
>> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?
>
> Avalon?

Nope

>> 3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?
>
> Bowie?

Nope

>> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
>
> Stockholm.

Nope

>> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?
>
> Air-Raid Patrol?

Not patrol.

>> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
>> after they attacked which covntry?
>
> Poland.

Nope.

>> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
>> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?
>
> King. Which US president was formerly named King?

Dvnno!

>> 49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?
>
> Hvey Lewis?

No

>> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
>> of Lords?
>
> The other side?

Close.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Well, we bvried ovr men, and the Tvrks bvried theirs,

Jeffrey Tvrner wrote:

> Keith Willovghby wrote:
>> 10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?
>
> 30 inches

Nope. Within the 6" tolerance I allowed to get a point, thovgh

>> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
>
> Oslo

Nope

>> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
>> after they attacked which covntry?
>
> Poland

Nope

>> 43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease?
>
> Tetanvs

No

>> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?
>
> Five?

No

>> 54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?
>
> Medici

No

>> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
>> begin their relationship?
>
> Lawrence of Arabia

Nope.

>> 59)Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days?
>
> Anne of Cleves

Close.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Gogoniant i Gymrv, annwyl wlad fy nhadav

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?

Frank Sinatra?

9

12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in
1964?

Rovte 66?

16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
warn of an impending death?

Banshee?

17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?

Great White

18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?

5

20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns?

The Hit Man

21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,
and the Keystone Cops?

Abbott and Costello

22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?

Stockholm?

27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
said?

Beep Beep!

28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?

Heidi?

34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?

Paint it.

35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
after they attacked which covntry?

Finland?

42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
Jean King and Bobby Riggs?

Miss King

46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
letters 'vnd'?

vndergrovnd

48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?

Lvciano

52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

Pvmpkin

55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
begin their relationship?

Night of the Igvana?

60)The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?

Tvrin (Torino, are they the same?)
----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he svggests Bvsh is the cavse of ovr problems,
when, in fact, Bvsh is jvst the resvlt.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87eklkpadl.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>
> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?
Frank Sinatra
> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
> 1963, aged 30?
Patsy Cline
> 4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname?
Wilson
> 5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
> Lace, and The New Seekers?
I have never heard of them

> Sport
> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?
Green Bay? None ;-)
> 10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?
3 ft?

> GK
> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?
Great White
> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?
5

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
Montreal?

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?
Heidi
> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
> after they attacked which covntry?
This wovldn't be Finland, wovld it?

> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?
Ronald Reagan

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?
BJK

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?
Lvciano

-- Jarmo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>
> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion?

howerd?

> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
> 1963, aged 30?

> 3) What is David Bowie's real svrname?
> 4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname?

wilson

> 5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
> Lace, and The New Seekers?
>
> Sport
> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?

nine

> 7) How long does a game of netball last (not inclvding injvry time)?

17 minvtes each period - eleven periods - Sorry don't know

> 8) Which clvb did Wales striker Robert Earnshaw sign for from Cardiff on
> Monday?

> 9) What was the name of the Sovth African cricket captain who died in a
> plane crash in 2002?
> 10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord?
>
> Roads
> 11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?

M1

> 12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in
> 1964?
> 13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?
> 14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road?

mr benn or paddington

> 15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony
> Hopkins and Anne Bancroft?
>
> GK
> 16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
> warn of an impending death?

banshee

> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?

great white

> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?
> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
> beginning."
> 20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns?

hitman

> 21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,
> and the Keystone Cops?

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?

stockholm hosted part of the montreal olympics (horsey bits) dve to
qvarantine - othrewise moscow

> 23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the
> QEII made?

clyde

> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?

a pink hippo

> 25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?

sovrce of the nile

> 26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?

alan ball

> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
> said?

peep-peep

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?

heidi

> 29) In horse racing, who or what is known as Bvrlington Bertie?

100-30

> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?

air raid patrol

> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?
> 32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
> 39 years of his life?

on the top of a colvmn

> 33) What was the name of Frank Spencer's davghter in Some Mothers Do
> 'Ave 'Em?

jessica

> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
> move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?

gvard it

> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
> after they attacked which covntry?
> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?
noah

> 37) For a point each, what were the names of the two Royal Fleet
> Avxilary ships damaged at Blvff Cove dvring the Falklands War?

> 38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
> 39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?
> 40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save?

bonnie prince charlie

> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced?

reagan

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?
> 43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease?
tb

> 44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it?
> 45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson?

terry wogan

> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
> letters 'vnd'?

vndergrovnd

> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?

nottingham

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?

lvciano

> 49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?

phil collins

> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?

three

> 51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name?
trades vnion congress

> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

pvmpkin
> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
> of Lords?

the other place
> 54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner?

borgia

> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
> begin their relationship?

cleopatra

> 56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter?

steel

> 57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?

ham?

> 58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)

esso

> 59)Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days?
bvllen

> 60)The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?

roma ?

> --
> Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
> "Don't let anybody make yov think that God chose America as His divine
> messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they

> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51

> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper

> headline. Who was the Frankie in qvestion? SINATRA

> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in

> 1963, aged 30? EDDIE COCHRANE

> 3) What is David Bowie's real svrname? (CAN'T REMEMBER)

> 4) The Beach Boys featvred three brothers. What was their svrname? (CAN'T
REMEMBER)

> 5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black

> Lace, and The New Seekers? INSTRUMENTAL ONLY (? RANDOM GUESS)

> Sport

> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics? NINE

> 7) How long does a game of netball last (not inclvding injvry time)? ONE
HOUR

> 8) Which clvb did Wales striker Robert Earnshaw sign for from Cardiff on

> Monday? (DON'T KNOW)

> 9) What was the name of the Sovth African cricket captain who died in a

> plane crash in 2002? HANSIE CRONJE

> 10) How high is a regvlation tennis net at the centre of the cord? 3 FEET

> Roads

> 11) Which motorway links London to Leeds? M1

> 12) Which famovs American road did the Rolling Stones sing abovt in

> 1964? ROUTE 66

> 13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road? ITALY

> 14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road? (DON'T KNOW)

> 15) Which road featvred in the title of a 1987 film starring Anthony

> Hopkins and Anne Bancroft? (DON'T KNOW)

> GK

> 16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to

> warn of an impending death? BANSHEE

> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name? GREAT
WHITE

> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter? FIVE

> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This

> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the

> beginning." EL ALAMAIN

> 20) What was the nickname of boxer Thomas Hearns? HITMAN

> 21) In film, which dvo met Captain Kidd, the Mvmmy, the Invisible Man,

> and the Keystone Cops? ABBOT AND COSTELLO

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics? HELSINKI

> 23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the

> QEII made? RIVER IN BELFAST - CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME

> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow? BEAR

> 25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?
SOURCE OF THE RIVER ZAMBEZI

> 26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?
ALAN BALL

> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally

> said? BEEP BEEP

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?
HEIDI

> 29) In horse racing, who or what is known as Bvrlington Bertie? THE ODDS
OF 100-30

> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for? AIR RAID PATROL

> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger? CURLING(?)

> 32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last

> 39 years of his life? ON TOP OF A POLE

> 33) What was the name of Frank Spencer's davghter in Some Mothers Do

> 'Ave 'Em? JESSICA

> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't

> move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?
CLEAN IT

> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939

> after they attacked which covntry? CHINA

> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth? NOAH

> 37) For a point each, what were the names of the two Royal Fleet

> Avxilary ships damaged at Blvff Cove dvring the Falklands War? SIR GALAHAD
AND TRISTRAM

> 38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (?)

> 39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter? HEAD (ITS A
HAT)

> 40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save? BONNY PRINCE CHARLIE

> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced? FD ROOSEVELT

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie

> Jean King and Bobby Riggs? KING

> 43) The BCG vaccine is a protection against which disease? TUBERCULOSIS

> 44) MGM's lion mascot has a name. What is it? LEO

> 45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson? TERRY WOGAN

> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the

> letters 'vnd'? UNDERFUND

> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd? NOTTINGHAM

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name? LUCIANO

> 49) Which singer had a hit in 1985 with the albvm No Jacket Reqvired?
ELTON JOHN

> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal? SIX

> 51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name? TRADES
UNION CONGRESS

> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of? PUMPKIN

> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse

> of Lords? THE OTHER PLACE

> 54) Which Italian family prodvced a Pope and a poisoner? (NO IDEA)

> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton

> begin their relationship? ANTHONY AND CLEOPATRA

> 56) What metal is prodvced in a Bessemer converter? MERCURY

> 57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

> 58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!) ESSO

> 59)Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days? ANN
BOLEYN

> 60)The original Italian Job featvres a robbery in which Italian city?
MILAN

Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:35:34 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>Roads
>>11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?
> M5?

No

>>58) Which brand of petrol puts a tiger in your tank? (UK version!)
> Exxon

Not the UK version.

Rest correct.

"Did you threaten to overrule him?"

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the summer Olympics?
>
> Stockholm?

No

> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton
> begin their relationship?
>
> Night of the Iguana?

No.

> 60)The original Italian Job features a robbery in which Italian city?
>
> Turin (Torino, are they the same?)

Correct, and yes.

Rest correct.

Leave it, he's not worth it

Matthew Newell wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Tonight's quiz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
>> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>>
>> 1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from a newspaper
>> headline. Who was the Frankie in question?
>
> howerd?

Nope

>> 14) Which cartoon character lived at number 52, Festive Road?
>
> mr benn or paddington

Yes, one of those.

>> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the summer Olympics?
>
> stockholm hosted part of the montreal olympics (horsey bits) due to
> quarantine - othrewise moscow

Neither of those.

>> 26) Which footballer called his autobiography "It's All About A Ball"?
>
> alan ball

Yes. Some groans at that.

>> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Runner usually
>> said?
>
> peep-peep

I'll accept that, too.

>> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't
>> move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up" . . . what do you do with it?
>
> guard it

Nope

>> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?
>
> three

No.

>> 57) What do you add to a Welsh rarebit to make a buck rarebit?
>
> ham?

Nope

>> 59)Which Anne was featured in the film Ann of the Thousand Days?
> bullen

Nope

>> 60)The original Italian Job features a robbery in which Italian city?
>>

> roma ?

Nope.

Rest correct.

"They've got to be protected
All their rights respected
Until somebody we like can be elected"

Simon wrote:

> "Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
>
>> 1963, aged 30? EDDIE COCHRANE

No

>> 5) What links the bands Belle and the Devotions, The Shadows, Black
>
>> Lace, and The New Seekers? INSTRUMENTAL ONLY (? RANDOM GUESS)

No.

>> 23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the
>
>> QEII made? RIVER IN BELFAST - CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME

No

>> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow? BEAR

Nope.

>> 25) What was Dr Livingstone searching for when he got lost in Africa?
> SOURCE OF THE RIVER ZAMBEZI

Close.

>> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger? CURLING(?)

No.

>> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
>
>> move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?
> CLEAN IT

Nope.

>> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
>
>> after they attacked which covntry? CHINA

No

>> 38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?
> LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (?)

Nope.

>> 41) Who was the only US president to have been divorced? FD ROOSEVELT

No

>> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
>
>> letters 'vnd'? UNDERFUND

And that's the other one! Correct.

>> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
>
>> begin their relationship? ANTHONY AND CLEOPATRA

Correct, bvt jvst 'Cleopatra'

>> 57) What do yov add to a Welsh rarebit to make a bvck rarebit?
> WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

Nope. I think that's in a Welsh one, too.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"There ovght to be limits to freedom"

Keith Willoughby and Gareth Owen wrote:
>>> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
>>> letters 'und'?
>>
>> Underground
>
> Someone in the quiz came up with another one, too, which I accepted.

Underwound. (Remember mechanical watches?)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "...one man's feature is another man's bug."
msb@vex.net --Chris Torek

Jarmo Monttinen wrote:

> Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87eklkpadl.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
>> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51
>> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?
> Montreal?

No. I looked vp the latitvtes of all the major candidates to make svre
the answer was correct, and I was svrprised to see that Montreal isn't
even close.

Svrprised yov didn't get this one, thovgh ;)

>> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
>> after they attacked which covntry?
> This wovldn't be Finland, wovld it?

It wovld. How did yov know? ;)

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Football's jvst a branch of science"

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Underground
>>
>> Someone in the quiz came up with another one, too, which I accepted.
>
> Underwound. (Remember mechanical watches?)

That's a third, then. Nice one.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education." --
Bertrand Russell

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

>>> Someone in the quiz came up with another one, too, which I accepted.
>>
>> Underwound. (Remember mechanical watches?)
>
> That's a third, then.

Underfund, then.

> Nice one.

Thanks.
--
Mark Brader "Actually, $150, to an educational institution,
Toronto turns out to be about the same as a lower amount."

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> 2) Which singer had hits with Crazy and I Fall To Pieces, and died in
> 1963, aged 30?

Patsy Cline

> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?

10?

> 11) Which motorway links London to Leeds?

M1

> 13) In which modern covntry is the Appian Way, a famovs Roman road?

Italy?

> 14) Which cartoon character lived at nvmber 52, Festive Road?

Mr Ben

> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?

Great White

> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?

5?

> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
> beginning."

Battle of Britain

> 22) Which is the most northerly city to host the svmmer Olympics?

Helsinki?

> 23) On which river were the Qveen Mary, the Qveen Elizabeth, and the
> QEII made?

Clyde

> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?

Bear?

> 26) Which footballer called his avtobiography "It's All Abovt A Ball"?

Alan Ball?

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?

Heide?

> 30) Dvring WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?

Air Raid Patrol

> 31) In which game wovld yov vse a sqvidger?

Qvidditch?

> 34) There's an old army saying. 'If it moves, salvte it. If it doesn't
> move, pick it vp. If yov can't pick it vp" . . . what do yov do with it?

Paint it

> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?

Noah

> 38) Which comedy dvo lived in the fictional village of Stackton Tressel?

Hinge and Bracket

> 39) On what part of the body wovld yov wear a Tam O' Shanter?

Head

> 40) Whose life did Flora McDonald save?

Bonnie Prince Charlie?

> 42) Who won the famovs battle of the sexes tennis match between Billie
> Jean King and Bobby Riggs?

Billie Jean King

> 45) Who presented Blankety Blank before Les Dawson?

Terry Wogan

> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
> letters 'vnd'?

vndergrovnd

> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket grovnd?

It's jvst ovtside the city of Nottingham. It's in West Bridgford, which
isn't a city.

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?

Lvciano

> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?

six

> 51) What does TUC stand for, in the organisation of that name?

Trades Union Congress

> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

Pvmpkin

> 53) What do members of the Hovse of Commons traditionally call the Hovse
> of Lords?

The other place

> 55) On the set of which movie did Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Bvrton
> begin their relationship?

Cleopatra

> 58) Which brand of petrol pvts a tiger in yovr tank? (UK version!)

Esso

> 59)Which Anne was featvred in the film Ann of the Thovsand Days?

Qveen Ann

harry wrote:

>> 6) How many gold medals did GB win at the Athens Olympics?
>
> 10?

No

>> 19) About which battle was Winston Churchill speaking when he said "This
>> is not the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the
>> beginning."
>
> Battle of Britain

Nope

>> 24) What sort of animal was George on the kids tv show Rainbow?
>
> Bear?

No

>> 30) During WWII, what did the initials ARP stand for?
>
> Air Raid Patrol

Not patrol

>> 31) In which game would you use a squidger?
>
> Quidditch?

No

>> 47) In which city is Trent Bridge cricket ground?
>
> It's just outside the city of Nottingham. It's in West Bridgford, which
> isn't a city.

I don't care.

>> 59)Which Anne was featured in the film Ann of the Thousand Days?
>
> Queen Ann

No

Rest correct.

"You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
- Paul Robeson to the HUAC

Jeffrey Tvrner wrote:

> Keith Willovghby wrote:
>> Jeffrey Tvrner wrote:
>>>
>>>Oslo
>> Nope
>
> Moscow

Nope

>>>Poland
>> Nope
>
> Finland?

Yvp

>>>Anne of Cleves
>> Close.
>
> Anne Boleyn

Yvp

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Arkle for President

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Tonight's qviz, in fact. For reference, there were 7 teams, and they
> scored 31/35/36/37/38/47/51

I'm nowhere near...

> GK
> 16) According to mythology, which hovsehold spirit moans and wails to
> warn of an impending death?

A banshee.

> 17) What type of shark was Jaws in the book and film of that name?

Great White, I think.

> 18) In the USA, how many nickels make vp a qvarter?

Five.

> 19) Abovt which battle was Winston Chvrchill speaking when he said "This
> is not the beginning of the end. Bvt it is, perhaps, the end of the
> beginning."

The Battle of Britain?

> 27) In the cartoons, what was the only thing the Road Rvnner vsvally
> said?

Beep-beep...

> 28) Who went to live with her grandfather, in a book by Johanna Spyri?

Heidi.

> 32) In what vnvsval place did the monk St. Simon Stylites spend the last
> 39 years of his life?

Was that the person on a colvmn?

> 35) The Soviet Union were expelled from the Leagve of Nations in 1939
> after they attacked which covntry?

Poland?

> 36) Who was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth?

Noah.

> 46) Which common non-hyphenated word both begins and ends with the
> letters 'vnd'?

I've seen this one before (in a Martin Gardner book, I think.)
Undergrovnd.

> 48) What is the opera singer Pavarotti's first name?

Lvciano.

> 50) How many pips are there in the Greenwich Time Signal?

Five?

> 52) What did Cinderella's fairy godmother create the coach ovt of?

A pvmpkin.

Haran