XP Pro Startup problem

When I start up in Win XP Pro, I get a message that says, "Cannot find
'â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡'." The message box is titled with the 4 squares. When I bypass that,
I get a message that says, "Could not load or run 'â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡'. " The message box
is titled "Desktop." Bypassing that gets the same set of messages only, this
time, with 20 squares. Bypassing that message gets me a repeat of the set
with 4 squares then a repeat of the set with 20 squares. It appears that
several programs are being called that have corrupted or encoded names.

I have tried 3 registry fixing programs but none has found the problem. I
am about to take the plunge and re-format the drive which will take me days
to reload.

Any suggestions?
--
MDC
1 answer Last reply

    Go to Start/Run, and type MSCONFIG then look at the STARTUP TAB, to uncheck unwanted, checked items

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "MDC" <mymail1104@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:AFA35988-6F99-4336-8A16-52A177396082@microsoft.com...
    > When I start up in Win XP Pro, I get a message that says, "Cannot find
    > '????'." The message box is titled with the 4 squares. When I bypass that,
    > I get a message that says, "Could not load or run '????'. " The message box
    > is titled "Desktop." Bypassing that gets the same set of messages only, this
    > time, with 20 squares. Bypassing that message gets me a repeat of the set
    > with 4 squares then a repeat of the set with 20 squares. It appears that
    > several programs are being called that have corrupted or encoded names.
    >
    > I have tried 3 registry fixing programs but none has found the problem. I
    > am about to take the plunge and re-format the drive which will take me days
    > to reload.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > --
    > MDC