Pub Quiz - 20040913

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?
2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
Royal Air Force?
3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?
4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?
5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?
6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
that let the flavour flood out
7) The international unit of power is named after which British
engineer?
8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
Ellesmere Port lie?
9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?
10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
reward?
12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "
13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?
14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
job be?
15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
land speed record in 1928 and 1931?

M,TV,F
1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
character later admitted to murdering him?
3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?
4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?
5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
number one hit with Those Were The Days?
6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
posthumously?
7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?
8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?
9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers?
10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?
11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
Somethin' Stupid?
13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set?
14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?

Sport
1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?
3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
each.
4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
for a point each.
5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?
6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?
7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?
8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?
9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?
10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?
11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July
Course?
12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
South African government after England picked which player to their
side?
14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion?
15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

Gk 2
1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?
2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?
3) In which British city is the University of Aston?
4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
with his own reflection?
5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?
6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
country and western music?
7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
year either way)
8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?
9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
wages of the workers in which occupation?
10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?
11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?
12) In which city is Mountjoy Prison?
13) Who was leader of the Labour party from 1955 to his death in 1963?
14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
cry?
15) Which public school did Tom Brown attend in Tom Brown's Schooldays?

Tie-breakers

1)In which year was Cambridge University founded?
2)In which year was the first Oxford-Cambridge boat race?
3)How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
2004?

Arkle for President

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87isad1w0v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?

Platinum

> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?

RAF

> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?
> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley

> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?
> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out
> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?
> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?
> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?

eye

> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000 reward?

Jesse James

> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "

.. . . to forgive, divine

> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?
> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be?
> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?
>
> M,TV,F
> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?

drums

> 2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
> character later admitted to murdering him?
> 3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?

brain

> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?

Dallas

> 5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
> number one hit with Those Were The Days?
> 6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
> posthumously?

Buddy Holly

> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?

Dustin Hoffman

> 8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?
> 9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers?
> 10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?

sitar

> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?
> 13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set?
> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?

Fred MacMurray, Eddie Murphy

> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?

Bill Cullen

> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?

Raging Bull

> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point each.
> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> for a point each.
> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?
> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?
> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?
> 8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?
> 9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?
> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?
> 11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July Course?
> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
> 13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
> South African government after England picked which player to their side?
> 14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion?
> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?
>
> Gk 2
> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?

cheese

> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think, therefor I am.

> 3) In which British city is the University of Aston?
> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?

Narcissus

> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?
> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music?

Nashville

> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way)
> 8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?

Corgi

> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation?
> 10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?
> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

ear

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?

platinum

> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?

Royal Air Force (through hardships, to the stars)

> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?
> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley

> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?
> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out
> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?

James Watt

> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?
> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?

cornea

> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?

Jesse James

> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "

a) ... to forgive, divine
b) ... but to really screw up, you need a computer

> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?

5 loaves, 2 fishes

> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be?
> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?
>
> M,TV,F
> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?

drums

> 2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
> character later admitted to murdering him?
> 3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?
> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?

Dallas

> 5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
> number one hit with Those Were The Days?

Mary Hopkin

> 6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
> posthumously?
> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?

Dustin Hoffman

> 8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?
> 9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers?

Cathy Gale

> 10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?

sitar

> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?
> 13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set?
> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?

Bill Cullen

> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?

Raging Bull

> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
> each.
> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> for a point each.
> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?
> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?

London

> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?
> 8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?

chukkers

> 9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?
> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?
> 11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July
> Course?
> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
> 13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
> South African government after England picked which player to their
> side?
> 14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion?
> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

(American) football

> Gk 2
> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?

cheese

> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think, therefore I am

> 3) In which British city is the University of Aston?
> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?

Narcissus

> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?
> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music?

Nashville

> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way)
> 8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?
> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation?
> 10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?
> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

ear canal

> 12) In which city is Mountjoy Prison?
> 13) Who was leader of the Labour party from 1955 to his death in 1963?
> 14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
> cry?

Georgy Porgy

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87isad1w0v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?
Platinum
> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?
Yes
> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?
Labatt Blue?

> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out
> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?
Watt
> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?
> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?
eye
> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
very well
> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?
Jesse James?
> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "
> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?
5 loaves and 2 fishes

> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?
Bluebird

> M,TV,F
> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?
Dustin Hoffman

> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
Any which way you can

> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
Jerry Lewis, Robin Williams

> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
Secretariat :)
> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?
Bronx Bull
> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
> each.
Jonathan Edwards and... has to be a woman.... Paula Radcliffe.

> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?
London
> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
Surtees?

> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?
Football. The one were kicking is not that common.

> Gk 2
> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?
Cheese.
>> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?
Narcissus
> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?
> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music?
Nashville
> Tie-breakers
>
> 1)In which year was Cambridge University founded?
Way before 1850.
> 2)In which year was the first Oxford-Cambridge boat race?
1850?

-- Jarmo

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?

Platinum

> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?

RAF

> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?

Shire horse (also the brand of lawnmower my dad owned when I was growing up.)

> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelly

> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?

Hofmeister

> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out

Tetley

> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?

Watt

> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?

The Wirral.

> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?

Eyes

> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?

Acid Bath Haigh?

> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?

It was Robert Ford in fact,
Who shot him in the back
As he hung a picture on the wall
-- "Jesse James" (song), Trad, arr The Pogues

> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "

To really foul things up requires a computer.
OK, thats more of a car sticker... "To forgive, divine".

> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many loaves
> and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?

5 and 2.

> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their job
> be?

Vet

> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?

Bluebird? (Weren't all his vehicles called that?)

> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?

Drums

> 2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
> character later admitted to murdering him?

Nick Cotton

> 3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?

His Brain (Sleeper, IIRC)

> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?

Die nasty.

> 5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
> number one hit with Those Were The Days?

Mary Hopkin?

> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?

Dustin Hoffman

> 8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?

Kenneth Williams? ("Fakir, off")

> 10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?

Sitar

> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?

Every Which Way You Can

> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?

Nicole Kidman

> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?

Jerry "not funny" Lewis
Robin "not funny" Williams

> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?

Leslie Crowther

> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?

Raging Bull

> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records.

Colin Jackson, 110m hurdles (tied).
Rt Rev Johnathon Edwards. Triple Jump.

> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> for a point each.

Goal Attack, Goal Shoot, err... Centre?

> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?

Sir Stan is the obvious guess, (or possibly Danny Blanchflower.)

> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?

London

> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?

Millwall

> 8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?

Chukkas.

> 9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?

United States

> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?

"Where the Paddies and the Frogs,
Come to gamble on the dogs"
-- "White City", The Pogues

> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?

Mike ... something or

> 13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the South
> African government after England picked which player to their side?

Basil D'Olivera

> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

US Football

> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?

Cheese

> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think, therefore I am

> 3) In which British city is the University of Aston?

Birmingham

> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?

Stewa^H^H^H^H^H Narcissus

> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?

The Old Bailey

> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music?

Nashville

> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way)

1965?

> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation?

Dockers (its usually dockers)

> 10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?

Blue Peter?

> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

Ear

> 14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
> cry?

Georgie Porgies

> 15) Which public school did Tom Brown attend in Tom Brown's Schooldays?

Rugby

> 1)In which year was Cambridge University founded?

1350 ish

> 2)In which year was the first Oxford-Cambridge boat race?

1860 ish

> 3) How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
> 2004?

£250,000?
--
Gareth Owen
Somebody's boring me.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?

Platinum

> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?

RAF

> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?

Pig?

> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley

> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?

Hoffmeister

> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out

Tetley

> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?

James Watt

> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?

Wirral?

> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?

Eye

> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?

Jesse James

> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "

to forgive is divine

> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?

Five loaves & two fishes

> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be?

Vet

> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?

Bluebird

> M,TV,F
> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?

Drums

> 2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
> character later admitted to murdering him?

Nasty Nick

> 3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?
> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?
> 5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
> number one hit with Those Were The Days?

Mary Hopkin

> 6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
> posthumously?

Buddy Holly?

> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?

Dustin Hoffman

> 8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?

Kenneth Williams

> 9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers?

Cathy Gale

> 10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?

Sitar

> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?

Every Which Way You Can

> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?

Nicole 'The Legend' Kidman

> 13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set?
> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?

Jerry Lewis & Robin Williams

> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?

Leslie Crowther?

> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?

Bronx Bull

> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
> each.

Paula Radclife?

> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> for a point each.

Goal Shooter & Forward?

> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?

Stanley Matthews?

> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?

London

> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?

Chelsea?

> 8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?

Chukkas

> 9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?
> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?

Wembley?

> 11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July
> Course?
> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
> 13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
> South African government after England picked which player to their
> side?
> 14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion?
> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

American Football

> Gk 2
> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?

Cheese

> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think, therefore I am

> 3) In which British city is the University of Aston?

Brum

> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?

Narcissus

> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?

The Old Bailey

> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music?

Nashville

> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way)
> 8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?
> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation?

Coal miners

> 10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?

Blue Peter, or is that coming in?

> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

Ear

> 12) In which city is Mountjoy Prison?

Dublin

> 13) Who was leader of the Labour party from 1955 to his death in 1963?
> 14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
> cry?

Georgie Porgie

> 15) Which public school did Tom Brown attend in Tom Brown's Schooldays?

Greyfriars

Stewart Houten <s_houten@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> > film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> Jerry Lewis & Robin Williams

Join the club of those who can't tell "Absent Minded" from "Nutty"

> > 3) Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point each.
>
> Paula Radclife?

Marathons didn't used to have records, merely "world's bests". They have
changed this though, so I think this is a right answer, (which means there are
3 Britons with world athletics records).

--
Gareth Owen
Option Paralysis (n): The tendency, when given unlimited choices, to make none.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?

RAF? (or is the Navy en route to the stars nowadays...)

> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley.

> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "

to forgive, divine.

> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?

Seven of each?

> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be?

A vet? In Canada, specifically?

> M,TV,F
> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?

Nicole Kidman?

> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?

Jerry Lee Lewis in the original? Robin Williams in the remake?

> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?

No idea, but I do know that it's run in Doncaster. :) (Or used to be...)

> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

Football, I think.

> Gk 2
> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think, therefore I am.

> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection?

Narcissus.

> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?

The Old Bailey?

> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

The ear.

Haran

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Stewart Houten <s_houten@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> > 3) Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point each.
>>
>> Paula Radclife?
>
> Marathons didn't used to have records, merely "world's bests". They
> have changed this though, so I think this is a right answer, (which
> means there are 3 Britons with world athletics records).

Yes, I think you're right. The change was retroactive, so she does hold
a world record.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
religious conviction."
-- Pascal

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87isad1w0v.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

[...]

>> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
>> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> Fred MacMurray, Eddie Murphy

Fred's correct, Eddie was Nutty, rather than Absent Minded.

>> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?
>
> Bill Cullen

Yes, and yet, no. I did actually say "in the UK" when I asked the
question in the pub.

Rest correct.

"Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth."
- Martin Luther King

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?
>
> Die nasty.

Nope

>> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
>
> Every Which Way You Can

Close.

>> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
>> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> Jerry "not funny" Lewis
> Robin "not funny" Williams

Robin yes, Jerry no.

>> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
>> for a point each.
>
> Goal Attack, Goal Shoot, err... Centre?

Correct the first time.

>> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
>> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?
>
> Sir Stan is the obvious guess, (or possibly Danny Blanchflower.)

Sir Stan.

>> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
>> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
>
> Mike ... something or

Hawthorn? No.

>> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
>> year either way)
>
> 1965?

That's within the 2 for a point.

>> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
>> wages of the workers in which occupation?
>
> Dockers (its usually dockers)

Not this time.

>> 1)In which year was Cambridge University founded?
>
> 1350 ish

I used this one. You would have won it handily. The winning guess was 1500.

>> 2)In which year was the first Oxford-Cambridge boat race?
>
> 1860 ish

30-odd off.

>> 3) How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
>> 2004?
>
> £250,000?

*way* off.

"You've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 1)In which year was Cambridge University founded?
> >
> > 1350 ish
>
> I used this one. You would have won it handily. The winning guess was 1500.

I knew that Oxford was the 13th century and Cambridge was slightly later.

> >> 3) How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
> >> 2004?
> >
> > £250,000?
>
> *way* off.

I'm usually happy to get within an order of magnitude...
--

Haran Pilpel wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
>> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?
>
> Seven of each?

No

>> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
>> job be?
>
> A vet? In Canada, specifically?

Yes, and no. UK.

>> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
>> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> Jerry Lee Lewis in the original? Robin Williams in the remake?

Williams correct. Neither Jerry nor Jerry Lee, though :)

Rest correct.

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who
are undecided." - Casey Stengel

Steve Grant wrote:

>> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?
>
> Bill Cullen

Yes, and yet no.

Rest correct.

Monmore, hare's running

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> >> for a point each.
> >
> > Goal Attack, Goal Shoot, err... Centre?
>
> Correct the first time.

Why did I read that as "three"?

> >> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> >> wages of the workers in which occupation?
> >
> > Dockers (its usually dockers)
>
> Not this time.

Fox hunters? They're notoriously radical, I've heard.

--

Stewart Houten wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?
>
> Pig?

Nope

>> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
>
> Every Which Way You Can

Close

>> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
>> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> Jerry Lewis & Robin Williams

No, and yes.

>> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?
>
> Bronx Bull

Ok, that's the second answer of this. I'll assume that this is also
correct.

>> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
>> each.
>
> Paula Radclife?

Correct, of course, which makes the question incorrect.

>> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
>> for a point each.
>
> Goal Shooter & Forward?

Yes, and no.

>> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?
>
> Chelsea?

Nope

>> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?
>
> Wembley?

No

Rest correct.

"The catcher hits for .318 and catches every day
The pitcher puts religion first and rests on holidays"

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > Dockers (its usually dockers)
>>
>> Not this time.
>
> Fox hunters? They're notoriously radical, I've heard.

Bunch of socialist troublemakers.

"I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?"
- Dizzy Dean

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?

Platinum

2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
Royal Air Force?

RAF?

4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?

Mary Shelley

9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?

The eye

10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?

The Acid Bath Murderer

11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
reward?

Jesse James

M,TV,F
1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?

Flute

4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?

Dallas?

7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?

Dustin Hoffman

11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?

Any Which Way You Can

14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?

Fred MacMurray 1961, Robin Williams 1997

Sport
2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?

The Bronx Bull

15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?

Football (American)

Gk 2
1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?

Cheese

2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?

I think; therefore, I am.

4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
with his own reflection?

Narcissus

6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
country and western music?

Nashville

8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?

Corgi?

11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?

Ear

14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
cry?

Georgie Porgie

3)How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
2004?

500,000? (pounds, of course :) )

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
>
> Flute

No

> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?
>
> The Bronx Bull

Ok, that confirms it.

> 3)How much was the first prize for the men's singles at Wimbledon in
> 2004?
>
> 500,000? (pounds, of course :) )

Closer than Gareth :) Over a hundred grand out.

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
>
> Piano

No

>> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?
>
> Tom Cruise

Finally, someone says that :)

No.

>> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
>> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
>
> ..., Eddie Murphy

Wrong film.

>> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?
>
> Los Angeles

No

Rest correct.
M. Khan Is Bent

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:14:56 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element?
>2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force?
>3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch?
>4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?
Mary Shelly
>5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"?
>6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out
>7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer?
Watt
>8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie?
>9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism?
Eye
>10) How was murderer John George Haigh known?
>11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?
>12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . "
To Forgive, Divine
>13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand?
>14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be?
>15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931?
>
>M,TV,F
>1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
drums
>2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
>character later admitted to murdering him?
>3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ?
>4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from?
>5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
>number one hit with Those Were The Days?
>6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
>posthumously?
>7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?
Devfinitly Dustin Hoffman
>8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber?
>9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers?
>10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing?
sitar
>11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose?
any which way you can, Probably one of the 2 worst movies Clint
Eastwood Ever made
>12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid?
>13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set?
>14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
Fred MacMurray
>15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right?
Bill Cullen?

>Sport
>1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday?
>2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta?
Raging Bull
>3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
>each.
>4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
>for a point each.
>5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
>1956, was an Englishman. Who was it?
>6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held?
>7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions?
>8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as?
>9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles?
>10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984?
>11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July
>Course?
>12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
>four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s?
>13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
>South African government after England picked which player to their
>side?
>14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion?
>15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers?
American Footbal (they are in the NFC North Division of the National
Football League)

>Gk 2
>1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what?
Cheese
>2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
>ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English?
I think, Therefore I am
>3) In which British city is the University of Aston?
>4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
>with his own reflection?
adonnis
>5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known?
>6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
>country and western music?
Nashville
>7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way)
>8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"?
>9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation?
>10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port?
>11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane?
ear
>12) In which city is Mountjoy Prison?
>13) Who was leader of the Labour party from 1955 to his death in 1963?
>14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
> cry?
georgie porgie

The artist formerly Known as Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

>>4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
>>with his own reflection?
> adonnis

Nope

Rest correct.

"Too lazy to work, too nervous to steal"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby sez:

<<
> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
>
> Flute

No

Then accordion?

----

Andy Jakcsy wrote:

> Keith Willoughby sez:
>
> <<
>> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play?
>>
>> Flute
>
> No
>

> Then accordion?

Nope.

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> 1) Pt is the chemical symbol for which element? - PLATINUM
> 2) Is 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' the motto of the Army, the Royal Navy, or the
> Royal Air Force? RAF
> 3) What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch? DRAFT (DRAUGHT?) HORSE
> 4) Who wrote the novel Frankenstein? MARY SHELLEY
> 5) An advert for which brand of lager told us to "Follow the bear"? ????
> 6) And the advert for which brand of tea tells of the 2000 perforations
> that let the flavour flood out TETLEY
> 7) The international unit of power is named after which British
> engineer? WATT
> 8) What is the name of the peninsula on which Tranmere, Birkenhead, and
> Ellesmere Port lie? WIRRAL
> 9) Which part of the body is affected by astigmatism? EYES
> 10) How was murderer John George Haigh known? BOSTON STRANGKER
> 11) Which outlaw did Bob Ford shoot in the back to claim a $10,000
> reward?
> 12) Complete the proverb - "To err is human, . . " TO FORGIVE DIVINE
> 13) For a point each, according to the book of Mark, with how many
> loaves and how many fishes did Jesus feed the five thousand? 5 LOAVES,
2 FISHES
> 14) If a person had the letters FRCVS after his name, what would their
> job be? VETINARY SURGEON (VET)
> 15) What was the name of the car in which Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the
> land speed record in 1928 and 1931? BLUEBIRD
>
> M,TV,F
> 1) What musical instrument did Karen Carpenter primarily play? GUITAR
> 2) In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dead. Which
> character later admitted to murdering him? NICK COTTON
> 3) What did Woody Allen say was his second favourite organ? BRAIN
> 4) Which soap was Knots Landing a spin-off from? DALLAS
> 5) Who represented the UK in the 1970 Eurovision song contest, and had a
> number one hit with Those Were The Days? LULU
> 6) Who in 1959 became the first person to have a UK number one hit
> posthumously? ????
> 7) Who won the best actor Oscar for playing Raymond Babbit in Rain Man?
DUSTIN HOFFMAN
> 8) Who played the Khasi of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber? KENNETH
WILLIAMS
> 9) What was the name of Honor Blackman's character in the Avengers? PERDY
> 10) What musical instrument is Ravi Shankhar famous for playing? SITAR
> 11) What was the name of the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose? EVERY
WHICH WAY BUT FREE
> 12) With which film star did Robbie Williams duet on his number one
> Somethin' Stupid? NICOLE KIDMAN
> 13) What was the name of the company in which The Rag Trade was set? ????
> 14) For a point each, who played The Absent Minded Professor in the 1961
> film of that name, and who played him in the 1997 remake, Flubber?
1961 - ??, 1997 ROBIN WILLIAMS
> 15) Who was the first host of The Price Is Right? LESLIE CROWTHER
>
> Sport
> 1) What horse won the St Leger on Saturday? ???
> 2) What was the nickname of boxer Jake LaMotta? ???
> 3)Athletics: Two Britons hold world records. Name them for a point
> each. COLIN JACKSON (NOW JOINT), PAUL RADCLIFFE
> 4) Only two positions are allowed to score goals in netball. Name them,
> for a point each. GOAL ATTACK AND GOAL SHOOTER
> 5) The first player to win the European Footballer of the Year award, in
> 1956, was an Englishman. Who was it? STANLEY MATTHEWS
> 6) In which city were the 1948 Summer Olympics held? LONDON
> 7) Which English football team are nicknamed the Lions? MILLWALL
> 8) A polo game is split up into 6 periods. What are they known as? CHUKKAS
> 9) Which national rugby side is known as The Eagles? USA
> 10) Which stadium hosted the Greyhound Derby from 1927 until 1984? WHITE
CITY
> 11) Which British racecourse features the Rowley Mile and the July
> Course? NEWMARKET
> 12) Which British racing driver was Formula 1 champion in 1964, and also
> four times the world 550cc motorcycle champion in the 50s? JOHN SURTEES
> 13) The 1968 England cricket tour of South Africa was cancelled by the
> South African government after England picked which player to their
> side? BASIL D'OLIVERA
> 14) In which sport is Bob Nudd a world champion? SAILING
> 15) Which sport is played by the Green Bay Packers? AMERICAN FOOTBALL
>
> Gk 2
> 1) Limburger, Monterey Jack, and Jarlsburg are types of what? FISH
> 2) The philosopher Rene Descartes was most famous for saying "Cogito,
> ergo sum". What does it mean when translated into English? I THINK
THEREFORE I AM
> 3) In which British city is the University of Aston? BIRMINGHAM
> 4) According to Greek mythology, who was so handsome, he fell in love
> with his own reflection? ADONIS
> 5) How is the Central Criminal Court in London popularly known? OLD BAILEY
> 6) Which city is the state capital of Tennessee and is the home of
> country and western music? NASHVILLE
> 7) In which year was the Aberfan disaster? (2 points spot on, 1 point
> year either way) 1952
> 8) Which breed of dog gets its name from the Welsh for "dwarf dog"? ????
> 9) The general strike of 1926 was called after an attempt to reduce the
> wages of the workers in which occupation? MINERS
> 10) Which flag is flown by a ship about to leave port? ????
> 11) Where in the body is the tympanic membrane? EAR
> 12) In which city is Mountjoy Prison? DUBLIN
> 13) Who was leader of the Labour party from 1955 to his death in 1963?
????
> 14) According to the nursery rhyme, who kissed the girls and made them
> cry? GEORGIE PORGIE
> 15) Which public school did Tom Brown attend in Tom Brown's Schooldays?
ETON