Riva TNT2 PLEASE HELP ME

douglasM6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Hi folks.

I have the following video card that has the NVIDIA Riva TNT2 processor on board:

Skywell Magic MVGA-NVTNT2A 32MB AGP.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4P800. In the manual it states that the AGP slot can only take 1.5V cards (NOT 3.3V cards).

Now the Skywell Magic MVGA-NVTNT2A has the SAME pin layout as a 1.5V card (by the description in the motherboard manual)

My computer would not POST, however, with this graphics Card inserted in the AGP Slot.

I have searched in vain for the voltage spec. of this card.

Is there anyone who could confirm the voltage of this Skywell Magic Riva TNT2 Card?

I fear I might have damaged my motherboard.

Many thanks

Doug Murray

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some early AGP4x cards used 3.3v only. This saved money over having cards that would detect voltage. Some cards such as the Diamonds actually used jumpers to select 1.5v or 3.3v, but many cheap ones just ran at 3.3v. It is possible for you to damage your board with such a card, but I'd try a different card first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
read the article and you can tell if the card is 3 v or not. :)

(and for the record, i've not heard of any 4x cards being 3 volt)

douglasM6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Yes, I fear I may have fried my new ASUS P4P800 motherboard.

I will try a confirmed 1.5V card in the AGP slot

I assume that if it works my motherboard is OK?????

douglasM6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

I guess I will just have to hope that the motherboard is still OK.

Doug

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
(and for the record, i've not heard of any 4x cards being 3 volt)

Exactly, which is why, as long as the article doesn't speak of his specific card, I have no point in reading it. You see, I understand that AGP 1.0 covers 2x/1x and 3.3v, 2.0 covers 4x/2x and 1.5v, and 3.0 covers 8x/4x and 0.8v. I also understand that a 1.5v board can run a 1.5v card in 2x mode. And here's the kicker: during the transition period there were several non-AGP2.0 cards that supports part of the AGP 2.0 spec, being 4x capable but not 1.5v compliant.

In fact a review site wrote an article about it, after frying an i850 board with a cheap hercules AGP4x card that only provided 3.3v signals. Yes I said cheap and hercules in the same breath. That site went on to look at several cards, all cheap, and came up with a list of specific cards that they found were 4x capable and not 1.5v compliant.

So what does an article which states how cards are supposed to be made have to do with cards that are improperly made? Hence I haven't even clicked the link!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I guess that article was about that specific card, but I still didn't see where it said the card was 1.5v, and it is a cheap card, so I wouldn't take the risk! Remembering all the info I found on non-1.5v compliant 4x cards that is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. Quick question, has the system ever worked? Or is this a new build? Because not having your computer boot up can be caused by any number of things, read the first post in the Motherboard's forum for a list! Also I shouldn't scare you because most of these types of cards are 1.5v compliant, it's just that there's always a chance that any given TNT2 card might not be unless I've seen proof it is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I reply to posts in the order of responses I find in my email.

douglasM6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Yes, this is a new build.

I had the graphic card tested over the weekend in a 3.3V AGP slot. It works fine with 3.3V.

So I guess this particular card IS a 3.3V beast.

Doug

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That means nothing, as all AGP 2.0 (1.5v) cards were also AGP 1.0 (3.3v) compliant, they set the signal voltage according to your slot type. Heck, even *most* AGP 3.0 cards (0.8v) could put out AGP 1.0 voltage (3.3v) if needed.

A few cheap manufacturers of cheap cards made AGP 4x cards that were 3.3v only (that is to say, they didn't follow spec because they wanted to keep cost down). That was back in the early days of AGP4x. The majority followed spec and produced cards that were 3.3v/1.5v autoswitching.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
no