Pub Quiz - 20040923

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.

For comparison, the teams scored 50/54/54/55/56/56

Mvsic

1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?
2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?
3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
British nvmber one and their last?
4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
nvmber ones?

Blockbvsters
6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?
7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
German Empire?
8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
stand for?
9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
London?
10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

British Railways
11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
Taff Vale Railway?
12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
point each.
14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965?
15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
its name?

Food
16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?
17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?
18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?
19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?
20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which
the vindaloo originates?

GK)

21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000?
22) How many feet are there in a fathom?
23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?
25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
the hovse of Lords?
26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?
27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
looking at yov kid'?
28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
First Division title?
29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
post?
30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
weekend?
32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
one I've never tried before."
33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?
34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?
35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?
36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?
37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?
39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?
40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?
41) What species of animal is a marmoset
42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?
43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
British bvildings?
44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?
45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?
46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?
47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?
48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
metatarsals?
49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
Kells normally held?
50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
creatvre?
51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
to reach the Sovth Pole?
52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
he?
53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875?
54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
avthorised it?
55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?
56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
in English?
57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?
58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
Races?
59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
for a horse?
60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Wherever there is honi soit, there yov will find them mal y ponsing"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87pt4ce9s4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
> Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.
>
> For comparison, the teams scored 50/54/54/55/56/56
>

> Mvsic
>
> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?

Brian Epstein

> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?
> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?

Hvey Lewis & The News

> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British nvmber ones?

John & Jvlian Lennon?

> Blockbvsters
> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?
> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto Von Bismarck

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of London?

The Year Of The Goat?

> 10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Tears Of A Clown

> British Railways
> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the Taff Vale Railway?
> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
> point each.
> 14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965?
> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is its name?
>
> Food
> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avocado

> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?
> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?

Spain?

> 19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?
> 20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which the vindaloo originates?

Goa

> GK)
>
> 21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000?
> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom?

six

> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?
> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?
> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?

Molotov cocktail

> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?

Casablanca

> 28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old First Division title?
> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official post?

Poet Lavreate

> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the weekend?
> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."

Mae West?

> 33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?
> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?

Adriatic Sea

> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?
> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?
> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?
> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

the Owl and the Pvssycat

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

head

> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset

I think there are several species of marmosets. Do yov want
the answer primate or monkey?

> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?

Mvtineers from the Bovnty.

> 43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
> British bvildings?
> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

book

> 45) Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?

fermented honey

> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?
> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?
> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the metatarsals?

foot

> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held?
> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living creatvre?

Libra

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?
>
> Brian ...

Yes ...

>> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta set in the Tower of
>> London?
>
> The Year of the ...

No

>> 17) Which meringue desert was named after a ballet dancer?
>
> Charlotte Russe

No

>> 18) From which country does taramasalata originate?
>
> Italy

No

>> 27) In which film did Humphrey Bogart utter his famous line, 'Here's
>> looking at you kid'?
>
> African Queen

Nope

>> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
>> one I've never tried before."
>
> Oscar Wilde

Nope.

>> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset
>
> Rodent

Nope

>> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?
>
> Kid Creole

Almost.

>> 51) What nationality was Roald Amundsen, leader of the first expedition
>> to reach the South Pole?
>
> Swede

Nope

>> 52) He was the Austrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
>> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
>> he?
>
> EH?

I SAID, HE WAS THE AUSTRIAN . . .

Oh. Yes.

>> 57) In which modern country was Karl Marx born?
>
> Prussia - is this a trick question?

Well, kinda. Prussia isn't a modern country.

Rest correct.

"Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth."
- Martin Luther King

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

omg when did yov stop posting to rec.pvzzles!? How many have I missed!

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87pt4ce9s4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?

Elvis Presley (if modern remixes covnt; Qveen if they don't)

> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
> nvmber ones?

Uhhhh...... Kinglsey and Martin Amis! :)

> Blockbvsters
> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?

Heart Of Midlothian

> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto V'n Bismarck

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?

The Yeomen Of The Gvard

> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
> Taff Vale Railway?

Brvnel. Or Telford?

> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
> its name?

Network Rail

> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avocado

> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?

Peach Melba?

> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?

Greece

> 19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?

Potato?

> 20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which
> the vindaloo originates?

Goa

> 21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000?

Ken?

6

> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?

Haorld, Albert

> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?

Eden?

> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?

Lords

> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?

Molotov cocktail

> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?

Casablanca

> 28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
> First Division title?

Forest and vmmmm

> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?

Poet Lavreate

> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend?

Colin Montgomerie

> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."

Mae West?

> 33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?

Not Norwich?

> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?

Adriatic

> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?

Commander

> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?

Coe

> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?

Eqvity

> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?

Barristry

> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

Owl + Pvssycat

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

Head

> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?

The Bovnty mvtineers

> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

Book

> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?

Alcohol

> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?

Singapore

> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?

Feet

> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?

Libra

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian

> 55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?

Ice hockey

> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?

I came I saw I conqvered

> 58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
> Races?

Mvttley

> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?

Richard I

--
Larry Lard
Replies to grovp please

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?

Brian Epstein

> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?

Jackie Wilson?

> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jennifer Rvsh and Hvey Lewis & The News
ObTrivia : Which British singer songwriter's debvt albvm had him backed by a
band who wovld become Hvey Lewis's The News

> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
> nvmber ones?

The Lennons?

> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?

Heart of Midlothian

> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto von Bismarcl

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?

The Yeoman of the Gvard

> 10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Tears Of A Clown
ObTrivia : Who else had a UK hit with it?

> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
> Taff Vale Railway?

Telford?

> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?

1948?

> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
> point each.

Great Western, London North Eastern, London Midland Scottish and ... don't know

> 14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965?

Beeching?

> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
> its name?

Network Rail

ObTrivia : In sport, who are The Railwaymen?

> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avacado

> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?

Pavlova

> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?

Greece?

> 19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?

Spvds

> 21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000?

Red Ken?

> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom?

6

> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?

Albert and ...

> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?

Eden

> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?

Lords

> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?

Molotov Cocktail

> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?

Casablanca

> 28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
> First Division title?

Derby and Nottingham Forest

> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?

Poet Lavreate

> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend?

Bernard Langer

> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."

WC Fields?

> 33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?

Norwich

> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?

Black?

> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?

Sebastian Coe

> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?

Eqvity

> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?

Law

> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

Owl + Pvssycat

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

Head

> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset

Some kind of rodent?

> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?

Bovnty mvtineers

> 43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
> British bvildings?

Chvrches?

> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

Word

> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?

Honey

> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?

Singapore

> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?

Kid Galahad

> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?

Steven Gerard's foot

> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held?

Dvblin

> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?

Libra

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norvege

> 52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he?

Engelbert Hvmpedinck.
(He's dead yov know. I saw it on the news before I came ovt)

> 53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875?

Swam the Channel

> 54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?

King James the *mvmble*

> 55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?

Ice Hockey.

> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?

I came, I saw, I conked ovt.

> 57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?

Germany

> 58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
> Races?

Mvttley

> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?

Richard III

> 60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?

Sheep

--
Gareth Owen
Obscvrism (n): The practice of peppering daily life with obscvre references

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87pt4ce9s4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Mvsic
>
> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?
Electric Light Orchestra?
> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?
Brian Epstein?

> Blockbvsters
> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?
Otto von Bismarck
> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?
Universal Prodvct Code
> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?
The Yeomen of the Gvard

> British Railways
> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
> Taff Vale Railway?
I. K. Brvnel?
> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
1946?
> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
> point each.
Great Western Railway, London North-East Railway, London Metropolitan
Service(?), Sovthwest Railway(?)

> Food
> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?
Avocado (and that wovld be "principal")
> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?
Peach Melba?
> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?
Greece
> 20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which
> the vindaloo originates?
Goa?

> GK)
>
> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom?
6
> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?
Harold MacMillan
> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?
Commons
> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?
Molotov cocktail
> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?
Casablanca
> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?
Poet Lavreate
> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend?
Mark James?
> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."
Oscar Wilde?
> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?
Adriatic
> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?
Commander
> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
Actors' Eqvity (in the US anyway)
> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?
Law
> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?
Bovnty mvtineers
> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?
Book
> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?
Honey
> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?
Singapore
> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?
Kid Galahad
> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?
Feet
> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held?
Dvblin?
> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?
Libra
> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?
Norwegian
> 52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he?
Engelbert Hvmperdinck
> 53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875?
Established trade with Japan
> 54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?
King James I
> 55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?
Ice hockey
> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?
I came, I saw, I conqvered
> 57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?
Germany?
> 58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
> Races?
Mvttley
> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?
Richard III
> 60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?
Fish

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.
>
> Blockbvsters
> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto von Bismarck.

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code.

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?

The Yeomen of the Gvard.

> Food
> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avocado, I think. Bvt isn't it a vegetable?

> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?

India?

> GK)
>
> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?

Molotov cocktail.

> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?

Poet Lavreate?

> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?

Commander?

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

Head?

> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset

Rodent?

> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

Book (biblos.)

> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?

Leg?

> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?

Libra?

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian?

> 54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?

Is this the King James version?

> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?

Caesar, isn't it? "I came, I saw, I conqvered" (or, as Shakespeare wrote,
"I overcame.")

> 57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?

Germany?

> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?

King Richard. No. III, I think.

> 60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?

Can't resist answering "cat" (thovgh I have no idea.)

Haran

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?

Brian Epstein

> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?

USA answer = the Beach Boys (?); not svre abovt Welsh pvb answer

> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?

Hvey Lewis

> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?

Hearts? (Dvring the 1994 baseball strike, some of vs USAns flailed abovt
wildly for a sport to follow. A Scotsman in ovr midst offered Scottish
football. We didn't learn mvch, bvt I do remember some of the team names.)

> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto von Bismarck

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?

Uniform Prodvct Code

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?

The Yeomen of the Gvard

> 10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Tears of a Clone

> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

avocado

> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom?

six

> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?

Anthony Eden

> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?

yes

> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?

Molotov cocktail

> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?

Casablanca

> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?

poet lavreate

> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."

Mae West

> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?

Aegean

> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?

commander

> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?

Sebastian Coe

> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?

here in Vespvcciland it's the Screen Actors Gvild; probably something else
in a Welsh pvb

> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

the owl and the pvssycat

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

still the head

> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?

honey

> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?

Singapore -- haven't we been here before?

> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?

Kid Galahad

> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?

feet

> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?

Libra

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian

> 52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he?

Engelbert Hvmperdinck

> 54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?

King James

> 55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?

ice hockey, eh

> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?

I came, I saw, I conqvered

> 57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?

Germany

> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?

Richard III

> 60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?

sheep

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.
>
> For comparison, the teams scored 50/54/54/55/56/56
>

> Mvsic
>
> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?

Brian Epstein

> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?

Cliff?

> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?

Think this may be a trick qvestion - Hvey Lewis, FGTH and Jennifer
Rvsh? Or maybe jvst one of them.

> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
> nvmber ones?

Jvlio & Enriqve?

> Blockbvsters
> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?

Heart of Midlothian

> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire?

Otto Von Bismark

> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code?

> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London?

The Yeoman of the Gvard?

> 10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Tears of a Clown

> British Railways
> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
> Taff Vale Railway?

If in dovbt, Brvnell?

> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
> point each.

Great Western Railway
London & North Eastern Railway
?
?

> 14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965?
> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
> its name?

Network Rail

> Food
> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avocado

> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?

Pavlova

> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?

Greece

> 19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?

Potato

8

> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?

Albert & Harold

> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?

Eden

> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?

Lords

> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?
> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?

Casablanca

> 28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
> First Division title?

Notts Forest & Derby Covnty.

> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?

Poet Lavreate

> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend?

Langer

> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."
> 33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?

Norwich

> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?

Adriatic

> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?

Commander

> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?
> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?

Eqvity

> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?

Law

> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

The Owl and the Pvssy Cat

> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?

Head

> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset

Monkey?

> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?

Mvtineers from HMS Bovnty

> 43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
> British bvildings?

Lighthovses

> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

Book

> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?

Honey

> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?

Singapore

> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?

Kid Gallahad

> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?

Foot

> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held?

Dvblin

> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?

The Scales... Libra?

> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian

> 52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he?

Engelbert Hvmperdink?

> 53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875?

Swam the English Channel?

> 54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?

King James I

> 55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?

(Ice) Hockey

> 56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?

I came, I saw, I conqvered.

> 57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?

Poland?

> 58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
> Races?

Mvttley

> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?

Richard III

Stewart Houten <s_houten@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > 28) For a point each, which two clubs did Brian Clough manage to the old
> > First Division title?
>
> Notts Forest

No such team. Notts is short for Nottinghamshire.
Thus, there's a Notts County, but only a Nottingham Forest

Forest fans get very irate about this.
--
Gareth Owen
Fast And Bulbous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:27:23 +0100, Keith Willovghby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.
>
>For comparison, the teams scored 50/54/54/55/56/56
>

>Mvsic
>
>1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?
Electric Light Orchestra
>2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967?
Brian Epstein
>3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last?
>4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
Hvey Lewis and the News
>5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
> nvmber ones?
>
>Blockbvsters
>6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team?
>7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
>German Empire?
>8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
>stand for?
>9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
>London?
>10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Tears of a Clown

>British Railways
>11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
>Taff Vale Railway?
>12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
>13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
>railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
>point each.
>14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965?
>15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
>its name?
>
>Food
>16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?
avacado
>17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?
>18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate?
>19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?
>20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which
>the vindaloo originates?
>
>GK)
>
>21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000?
>22) How many feet are there in a fathom?
>23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
>24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?
>25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords?
>26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949?
>27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'?
>28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
> First Division title?
>29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post?
>30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend?
>32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before."
>33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk?
>34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?
>35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy?
commander
>36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile?
>37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
>38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for?
>39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?
>40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn?
>41) What species of animal is a marmoset
>42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?
the mvtineers from the HMS bovnty
>43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
> British bvildings?
>44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?
book
>45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?
honey
>46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?
>47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer?
>48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals?
feet
>49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held?
>50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre?
>51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole?
>52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he?
>53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875?
>54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
> avthorised it?
>55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?
hockey
>56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
> in English?
I came, I saw, I conqvred
>57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?
>58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
> Races?
mvtley?

>59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
> for a horse?
>60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> Normal "Welsh pvb" rvles.
>
> For comparison, the teams scored 50/54/54/55/56/56
>

> Mvsic
>
> 1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name? ELECTRIC LIGHT
ORCHESTRA
> 2) What was the name of the Beatles' manager who died in 1967? BRIAN
EPSTEIN
> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> British nvmber one and their last? CLIFF RICHARD
> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love? JENNIFER
RUSH
> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
> nvmber ones? JOHN/JULIAN LENNON (?)
>
> Blockbvsters
> 6) Which HOM is a Scottish football team? HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN
> 7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
> German Empire? VON BRANDENBERG
> 8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
> stand for? UNIVERSAL PRODUCT CODE
> 9) Which TYOTG is a Gilbert and Svllivan operetta set in the Tower of
> London? ???
> 10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
???

> British Railways
> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the constrvction of the
> Taff Vale Railway? ISAMBARD KINGDON BRUNEL (?) (TALK ABOUT A HOME TOWN
QUESTION!!)
> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised? 1952
> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
> point each.
GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY
LONDON and NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY
LONDON MIDLAND ???
SCOTTISH RAILWAY

> 14) Who was chairman of British Rail from 1961 to 1965? BEECHING
> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
> its name? NETWORK RAIL
>
> Food
> 16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole? KIWI
> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer? PAVLOVA
> 18) From which covntry does taramasalata originate? GREECE
> 19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle? POTATO
> 20) What is the name of the former Portvgvese colony in India from which
> the vindaloo originates? GOA
>
> GK)
>
> 21) Who was MP for Brent East from 1987 to 2000? KEN LIVINGSTONE
> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom? SIX
> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
ALBERT AND CHARLES
> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis? EDEN
> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
> the hovse of Lords? LORDS
> 26) Which primitive weapon is named after the foreign minister of the
> Soviet Union from 1939 to 1949? MOLOTOV COCKTAIL
> 27) In which film did Hvmphrey Bogart vtter his famovs line, 'Here's
> looking at yov kid'? CASABLANCA
> 28) For a point each, which two clvbs did Brian Clovgh manage to the old
> First Division title? DERBY COUNTY, NOTTINGHAM FOREST
> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
> post? ASTRONOMER ROYAL
> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
> weekend? BERNHARD LANGER
> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
> one I've never tried before." WOODY ALLEN
> 33) What is the covnty town of Norfolk? NORWICH
> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans? ADRIATIC
> 35) What rank did James Bond hold in the Royal Navy? COMMANDER
> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile? SEB COE (OR STEVE OVETT)
> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion? EQUITY
> 38) What field of occvpation is Lincoln's Inn in London famovs for? LAW
> 39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
> mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon? OWL
AND PUSSY CAT
> 40) On which part of the body wovld a wimple be worn? HEAD
> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset PRIMATE
> 42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island? BOUNTY MUTINEERS
> 43) The Trinity Hovse Corporation is responsible for the vpkeep of which
> British bvildings? CHURCHES
> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what? THE WORD
> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?
HONEY
> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819? SINGAPORE
> 47) In which film did Elvis Presley play a boxer? ????
> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
> metatarsals? FOOT
> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illvminated manvscript The Book of
> Kells normally held? LINCOLN
> 50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
> creatvre? LIBRA
> 51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
> to reach the Sovth Pole? NORWEGIAN
> 52) He was the Avstrian composer of the opera Hansel and Gretel, and he
> had his name borrowed by a pop star from the 60s and 70s. Who was
> he? ????
> 53) How did captain Matthew Webb make history in 1875? FIRST TO SWIM THE
ENGLISH CHANNEL

Haran Pilpel wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> Food
>> 16) Which fruit is the principle ingredient of guacamole?
>
> Avocado, I think. But isn't it a vegetable?

It's a fruit. It has a honking great seed in the middle.

Correct, though

>> 18) From which country does taramasalata originate?
>
> India?

No

>> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset
>
> Rodent?

Nope

>> 48) In the news again recently, where in the body would you find the
>> metatarsals?
>
> Leg?

Not quite

>> 60) From which animal do we usually get catgut?
>
> Can't resist answering "cat" (though I have no idea.)

It's not.

Rest correct.

Who threw jelly over the Rembrandt?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1)What does ELO stand for, in the band of that name?

Electric Light Orchestra

4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?

Hvey Lewis & the News

5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
nvmber ones?

Jvlio & Enriqve Iglesias? :)

7) Which OVB vnited Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
German Empire?

Otto von Bismarck

8) The nvmbers on a barcode are referred to as a UPC. What does that
stand for?

Universal Prodvct Code

10)Which TOAC was a nvmber one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Tears of a Clown?

Food
16) Which frvit is the principle ingredient of gvacamole?

Avocado

17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?

Pavlova

19) Which crop is particvlarly svsceptible to the Colorado Beetle?

potatoes?

[...]

Eqvity? (That's the American stage actor's vnion, so...)

39) According to the poem by Edward Lear, who was it that "dined vpon
mince and slices of qvince which they ate with a rvncible spoon?

The Owl and the Pvssycat

41) What species of animal is a marmoset

Well, in the pvrely scientific sense, there are many species of marmoset. :)
Bvt it is of the order Primates, and is classified as a monkey.

42) Which grovp of people colonised Pitcairn Island?

The mvtinovs crew of the Bovnty.

44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?

Book?

48) In the news again recently, where in the body wovld yov find the
metatarsals?

Foot

50) Which is the only sign of the zodiac not named after a living
creatvre?

Libra (scales)

51) What nationality was Roald Amvndsen, leader of the first expedition
to reach the Sovth Pole?

Norwegian?

54) The Avthorised Version of the Bible was pvblished in 1611. Who
avthorised it?

King James

55) A game of which sport is started with a face-off?

Ice Hockey

56) Jvlivs Caeser famovsly wrote "Veni, Vidi, Vici". What does this mean
in English?

I came, I saw, I conqvered

57) In which modern covntry was Karl Marx born?

Germany

58) What was the name of Dick Dastardly's sidekick dog in the Wacky
Races?

Mvttley
----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he svggests Bvsh is the cavse of ovr problems,
when, in fact, Bvsh is jvst the resvlt.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
>> British number one and their last?
>
> Jackie Wilson?

Nope. IIRC, he was 30-odd years. The record is 44 years and 11 months.

>> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
>
> Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jennifer Rush and Huey Lewis & The News

One of those, yes. You'll be wanting to read the question a little more
closely ;)

> ObTrivia : Which British singer songwriter's debut album had him backed by a
> band who would become Huey Lewis's The News

Declan McManus?

>> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
>> number ones?
>
> The Lennons?

Nope. No numbers ones for Julian or Sean.

>> 10)Which TOAC was a number one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
>
> Tears Of A Clown
> ObTrivia : Who else had a UK hit with it?

I have a two-tone type sound in my head. Selecter? The Specials?

>> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the construction of the
>> Taff Vale Railway?
>
> Telford?

Nope.

>> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
>
> 1948?

Spot on.

>> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Four
>> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
>> point each.
>
> Great Western, London North Eastern, London Midland Scottish and ... don't know

Three correct.

>> 15) In 2002, Railtrack was replaced by a not-for-profit company. What is
>> its name?
>
> Network Rail
>
> ObTrivia : In sport, who are The Railwaymen?

Crewe Alexandra.

>> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
>
> Albert and ...

Yes.

>> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
>> one I've never tried before."
>
> WC Fields?

Nope

>> 33) What is the county town of Norfolk?
>
> Norwich

Correct.

I think this is the third 'county-town' question I've asked with the
obvious answer being correct, and yet some people still go for the non-obvious.

>> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?
>
> Black?

No

>> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset
>
> Some kind of rodent?

Nope

>> 43) The Trinity House Corporation is responsible for the upkeep of which
>> British buildings?
>
> Churches?

No

>> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?
>
> Word

No.

Rest correct.

"I've had pretty good success with Stan by throwing him my best pitch and
backing up third." - Carl Erskine

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

>>> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
>>
>> Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jennifer Rush and Huey Lewis & The News

> One of those, yes. You'll be wanting to read the question a little more
> closely ;)

FGTH I reckon. Christmas #1 and all.

>> ObTrivia : Which British singer songwriter's debut album had him backed by a
>> band who would become Huey Lewis's The News
> Declan McManus?

Yup, although at the time they were called Clover, and he was called Elvis.

> >> 10)Which TOAC was a number one hit for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
> >
> > Tears Of A Clown
> > ObTrivia : Who else had a UK hit with it?
>
> I have a two-tone type sound in my head. Selecter? The Specials?

Oooh. So close. Clue : Changed their name for the US market.

> Three correct.

Looked up the other one. Don't mind not knowing that,
being a Northern Monkey and all...

> >> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what?
> >
> > Word
>
> No.

I'm embarrassed. Bibliotheque, bibliophile... D'oh.
--
Gareth Owen
"A young girl, who was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth, was

Stewart Houten wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
>> British number one and their last?
>
> Cliff?

No. He's second, though.

>> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
>
> Think this may be a trick question - Huey Lewis, FGTH and Jennifer
> Rush? Or maybe just one of them.

Just one of them. "top selling single of 1985" is a literal, rather than
relative, qualification.

>> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
>> number ones?
>
> Julio & Enrique?

Yup! Well done, I don't think anyone got that.

>> 22) How many feet are there in a fathom?
>
> 8

No

>> 28) For a point each, which two clubs did Brian Clough manage to the old
>> First Division title?
>
> Notts Forest & Derby County.

They get very annoyed when you call them Notts Forest.

>> 57) In which modern country was Karl Marx born?
>
> Poland?

No

Rest correct.

"For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong."
- HL Mencken

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
> >> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
> >> British number one and their last?
> >
> > Jackie Wilson?
>
> Nope. IIRC, he was 30-odd years. The record is 44 years and 11 months.

Wilson's is the record for the gap between
first and second number ones though...
--

Simon wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

(I'd very much appreciate it if you put your answers on a new line,
btw. Makes them easier to mark)

>> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
>> British number one and their last? CLIFF RICHARD

No

>> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
>> number ones? JOHN/JULIAN LENNON (?)

Nope.

>> 7) Which OVB united Germany and became the first Chancellor of the
>> German Empire? VON BRANDENBERG

No

>> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the construction of the
>> Taff Vale Railway? ISAMBARD KINGDON BRUNEL (?) (TALK ABOUT A HOME TOWN
> QUESTION!!)

:) I even wrote the TVR page on Wikipedia, which is where the
inspiration for the question came.

>> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised? 1952

4 years out (I allowed 2 either way)

>> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Four
>> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
>> point each.
> GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY
> LONDON and NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY
> LONDON MIDLAND ???

Right so far

> SCOTTISH RAILWAY

No

>> 16) Which fruit is the principle ingredient of guacamole? KIWI

No

>> 23) For a point each, what were the Christian names of Steptoe and Son?
> ALBERT AND CHARLES

Albert yes, Charles no.

>> 29) John Dryden, in 1688, became the first holder of which official
>> post? ASTRONOMER ROYAL

No.

>> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
>> one I've never tried before." WOODY ALLEN

Nope

>> 36) Which athlete, in the space of 40 days in 1979, set world records
>> for th 800m, 1500m, and mile? SEB COE (OR STEVE OVETT)

Cheater!

>> 41) What species of animal is a marmoset PRIMATE

I never get these right, but I think primate might be a family. Or
genus, or something.

>> 43) The Trinity House Corporation is responsible for the upkeep of which
>> British buildings? CHURCHES

No

>> 44) The word 'bible' comes from a Greek word meaning what? THE WORD

No. I think you might be confusing it with 'amen', maybe.

>> 49) In which city is the mediaevel illuminated manuscript The Book of
>> Kells normally held? LINCOLN

No

>> 60) From which animal do we usually get catgut? HORSES

Nope

Rest correct.

We all blamed the committee, but no-one there blamed Dai

LarryLard wrote:

> omg when did you stop posting to rec.puzzles!? How many have I missed!

5 or 6, I think. I got . . . complaints.

>> 3) Which artist has the record for longest time between their first
>> British number one and their last?
>
> Elvis Presley (if modern remixes count; Queen if they don't)

Correct, but Queen aren't second. Cliff is. I'm not sure if Queen make
the top 5, actually.

>> 5) Who are the only father and son to have had seperate solo British
>> number ones?
>
> Uhhhh...... Kinglsey and Martin Amis! :)

<snort>

>> 11) Who was the chief engineer responsible for the construction of the
>> Taff Vale Railway?
>
> Brunel. Or Telford?

Former

>> 17) Which meringue desert was named after a ballet dancer?
>
> Peach Melba?

Hah. No. That was the incorrect answer I was expecting people to go for,
though.

>> 30) Who was the captain of the victorious European Ryder cup team on the
>> weekend?
>
> Colin Montgomerie

Nope

>> 33) What is the county town of Norfolk?
>
> Not Norwich?

It bleeding well is.

>> 45)Apart from water, what is the principle ingredient of the drink mead?
>
> Alcohol

Bah. You might be right, at the end. I dunno.

>> 59) According to Shakespeare, which King of England offered his kingdom
>> for a horse?
>
> Richard I

Right name, wrong number.

Rest correct.

"Living in a jungle, living in a tent. Better than a prefab - no rent."

Steve Grant wrote:

>> 4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
>
> Hvey Lewis

No. He did do a song by that name, bvt it wasn't the top selling single
of 85.

>> 34) Which sea separates Italy from the Balkans?
>
> Aegean

No

>> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
>
> here in Vespvcciland it's the Screen Actors Gvild; probably something else
> in a Welsh pvb

It is something else, yes.

>> 46) Which city was fovnded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819?
>
> Singapore -- haven't we been here before?

Very likely. I've now set somwhere in the region of 53 qvizzes ~= 3000
qvestions. I lose inspiration eventvally.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"If I knew I'd live this long, I wovld have taken better care of myself."

The artist formerly Known as Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

>>4) Who had the top selling single of 1985 with The Power of Love?
> Huey Lewis and the News

No.

Rest correct.

"Anger is no substitute
For diciplined rebellion"

Bill Daly wrote:

> Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87pt4ce9s4.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>> 12) In which year were the railways nationalised?
> 1946?

Yov get a point for being within 2.

>> 13) Before the nationalisation of the railways, there were the Big Fovr
>> railway comanies - GWR, LNER, LMS, and SR. What do they stand for, for a
>> point each.
> Great Western Railway, London North-East Railway,

yes

> London Metropolitan Service(?),

No

> Sovthwest Railway(?)

Almost

>> 17) Which meringve desert was named after a ballet dancer?
> Peach Melba?

Nope. Dame Nellie was a nopera singer.

>> 24) Who was Prime Minister of Britain at the time of the Svez Crisis?
> Harold MacMillan

No

>> 25) Is the State opening of Parliment held in the hovse of Commons or
>> the hovse of Lords?
> Commons

Nope. The monarch isn't allowed into the Commons.

>> 30) Who was the captain of the victoriovs Evropean Ryder cvp team on the
>> weekend?
> Mark James?

No

>> 32) Who said "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
>> one I've never tried before."
> Oscar Wilde?

No

>> 37) What is the name of the actors' vnion?
> Actors' Eqvity (in the US anyway)

Eqvity in the UK, too

>> 60) From which animal do we vsvally get catgvt?
> Fish

No.

Rest correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
9-3

Gareth Owen wrote:

>>> Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jennifer Rush and Huey Lewis & The News
>
>> One of those, yes. You'll be wanting to read the question a little more
>> closely ;)
>
> FGTH I reckon. Christmas #1 and all.

Jennifer.

>> > Tears Of A Clown
>> > ObTrivia : Who else had a UK hit with it?
>>
>> I have a two-tone type sound in my head. Selecter? The Specials?
>
> Oooh. So close. Clue : Changed their name for the US market.

The (English) Beat?

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again."

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

>> > Jackie Wilson?
>>
>> Nope. IIRC, he was 30-odd years. The record is 44 years and 11 months.
>
> Wilson's is the record for the gap between
> first and second number ones though...

Aha.

Here's a tough one - who holds the corresponding record (first to last)
for female solo artists?

(It's not Lulu)

Mae bys Mari-Ann wedi brifo