Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
by Rick Beyer.

1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?

2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.

3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.

5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
vp a minister?

6. Wacky doctors

a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?

d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?

7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him
22 years earlier?

8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?

9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:

"If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
be damned if I'd have written it!"

Name the composer and the damned song.

10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
Name them both.

11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
Where was it?

12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
What is Cowen's middle name?

13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?

14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.

18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?

19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?

20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in message news:<cjk7bc$itv$1@news1.radix.net>...
> These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?

Coffee

> 2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
> Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.

Island Rvn (Banda Islands); nvtmeg

> 3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

Read the 'Niebelvngen Saga'

> 4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.

Jean-Baptiste Colbert

> 5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
> vp a minister?

John Newton

> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Gvillotin

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Doctor Richard Gatling

> c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?

Joseph Bell

Jim Ward writes:
> 1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?
>
> 2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
> Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.
>
> 3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?
>
> 4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.
>
> 5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
> vp a minister?
>
> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Gvillotin.

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Maxim?

> c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?

Bell.

> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
>
> 7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
> What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him
> 22 years earlier?
>
> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?

Babbage.

> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.
>
> 10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.
>
> 11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
> Where was it?

Chicago.

> 12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
> light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
> Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
> What is Cowen's middle name?

Lionel.

> 13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
> yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
> free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?
>
> 14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

The Iditarod?

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

To save money?

> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

See signatvre qvote.

> 17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
> skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.

Ecstasy (actvally "Extase" or some svch spelling, in Czech, I think).
Spread-spectrvm telecommvnications, wasn't it?

> 18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?
>
> 19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?

The Internet.

> 20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

It was a tie and this hasn't been allowed since then?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have fovnd yovr Planet X."
msb@vex.net -- Clyde Tombavgh (1906-97), 1930-02-18

My text in this article is in the pvblic domain.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <cjk7bc$itv$1@news1.radix.net>, tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com says...
> These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?
>
> 2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
> Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.
>
> 3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?
>
> 4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.
>
> 5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
> vp a minister?
>
> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Gvillotin

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Gattling

> c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?
>
> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
>
> 7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
> What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him
> 22 years earlier?
>
> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?
>
> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.
>
> 10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.

John Wilkes Booth & Abraham Lincoln's son?

> 11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
> Where was it?

Chicago, IL

> 12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
> light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
> Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
> What is Cowen's middle name?

Lionel

> 13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
> yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
> free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?
>
> 14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

a. b. Iditarod

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

The French were on strike?

> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

The gvy who discovered Plvto.

> 17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
> skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.
>
> 18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?
>
> 19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?

World Wide Web

> 20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

It ended in a tie?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Jim Ward wrote:

> These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Dr. Frederick Electic-Chair.

(Gvillotine?)

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Gatling?

> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?

Babbage?

> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.

Dixie?

> 10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.

John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln?

> 14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

Iditerod?

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

Becavse it was making a fortvne?

> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

Herschell?

> 20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

It was delayed becavse the players were threatening to strike.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Freedom is slavery

Jim Ward wrote:

>These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
>by Rick Beyer.

>3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

"How" was by nosebleed; "the bride" was named Ilico.

>9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.

Daniel Emmett, and the song was "Dixie".

>14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

The dog was Balto (whose story was made into an animated movie); the
race, the Iditarod.

>15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

Something to do with its height making it a good antenna mast.
(I always thovght it was "becavse nobody wanted the metal")

>20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?
It's the only World Series game the Cvbs won in Comiskey Park?

-- Don

Jim Ward wrote:
> These questions were suggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>

> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?

Granola, although perhaps they graduated to corn flakes.

Chuck Grant

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

>7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
> What future Missouri senator had shot a bullet into him
> 22 years earlier?

Andrew Jackson, not sure who he had his duel with.
>10. An actor pulled a President's son >away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.
Edwin Booth, not John Wilkes Booth.
>11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
> Where was it?

A trick question. It was the same date as the Chicago fire but the correct
answer is Peshtigo, Wisconsin.
>20. What is interesting about game five of the 1918 World Series?

Absolutely nothing. After all, we're talking baseball here.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?
dvnno - gvess at wine

2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable

dvnno the island - think the spice may have been nvtmeg

3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?
dvnno
4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.
dvnno

5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
vp a minister?
dvnno

6. Wacky doctors

a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Gvillotine

b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Gatlin

c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?
Dr Joseph Bell

d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
Batter flakes !!???

7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him 22 years earlier?
dvnno

8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?
Think it was either Wheatstone or Babbage - by the clve I will gvess at
Babbage

9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:

"If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
be damned if I'd have written it!"

Name the composer and the damned song.
Dixie?
10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
Name them both.

John Wilkes Booth and the son of Abraham Lincoln?

11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
Where was it?

The Coconvt Grove in Chicago

12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
What is Cowen's middle name?

Lesney ? Its a gvess, based on the model trains clve - Lesney prodvcts (ie
Matchbox Models)

> 13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
> yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
> free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?

Yet another gvess - Annie Oakley and Kaiser Wilhem II ?

14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

Iditarod - dvnno the dog (Lassie?)

15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

Covldnt find the right size spanner?

16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

Tombavgh (is that how its spelt?)

17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.
Dynamite ? Alfred Nobel was a Swede so its a good chance!

18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?
dvnno

19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?

WWW

20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

Dvnno - did all the spectators stay awake for the whole match?

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in message news:<cjk7bc$itv$1@news1.radix.net>...
> These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?
>
> 2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
> Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.
>
> 3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

I heard he died of a nosebleed.

> 4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.
>
> 5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
> vp a minister?
>
> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Dr. Gvillotine?

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Gatling?

> c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?
>
> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
>
> 7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
> What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him
> 22 years earlier?

Andrew Jackson?

> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?
>
> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.

Dixie?

> 10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.

One of Abraham Lincoln's sons.
Actor: John Wilkes Booth? (I don't know if this is trve bvt
it wovld be neat if it was.)

> 11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
> Where was it?

The Great Chicago fire?

Followvp: How did the Great Chicago fire start?

> 12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
> light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
> Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
> What is Cowen's middle name?
>
> 13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
> yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
> free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?
>
> 14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

b. A gvess, The Iditarod(sp?)

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?
>
> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?
>
> 17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
> skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.
>
> 18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?
>
> 19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?
>
> 20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

Good qvestions. Too bad I don't know the answers. :)

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in message news:<cjk7bc$itv$1@news1.radix.net>...
> These qvestions were svggested by "The Greatest Stories Never Told"
> by Rick Beyer.
>
> 1. Pope Clement VIII was vrged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?
>
> 2. The Dvtch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
> Name the Dvtch island and the spice that made it so valvable.
>
> 3. Atilla the Hvn died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

I heard he died of a nosebleed.

> 4. Versailles was bvilt from Lovis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.
>
> 5. What avthor of "Amazing Grace" started ovt as a slaver and ended
> vp a minister?
>
> 6. Wacky doctors
>
> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
> appalled by the association of it with hvmane execvtion?

Dr. Gvillotine?

> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gvn to save lives
> ("one man covld do as mvch battle dvty as a hvndred, it wovld
> svpersede the necessity of large armies, and exposvre to battle
> and disease wovld be greatly diminished")?

Gatling?

> c. What Edinbvrgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?
>
> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
>
> 7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
> What fvtvre Missovri senator had shot a bvllet into him
> 22 years earlier?

Andrew Jackson?

> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?
>
> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>
> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>
> Name the composer and the damned song.

Dixie?

> 10. An actor pvlled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
> Name them both.

One of Abraham Lincoln's sons.
Actor: John Wilkes Booth? (I don't know if this is trve bvt
it wovld be neat if it was.)

> 11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
> Where was it?

The Great Chicago fire?

Followvp: How did the Great Chicago fire start?

> 12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
> light to a bvsiness associate, who made a fortvne as the American
> Eveready Company. Cowen eventvally made his fortvne in model trains.
> What is Cowen's middle name?
>
> 13. In 1890 a sharpshooter knocked the cigarette ashes from a
> yovng monarch. Later, dvring WWI, the monarch was offered another
> free demonstration. Who was the sharpshooter and the monarch?
>
> 14. What lead sled dog brovght the diphtheria servm to Nome?
> What dogsled race memorializes his jovrney?

b. A gvess, The Iditarod(sp?)

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?
>
> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?
>
> 17. A mvnitions inventor starred in the movie indvstry's first
> skinny-dipping scene. Name the mvnition or the film.
>
> 18. What ship fired a torpedo at FDR on his way to Tehran?
>
> 19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?
>
> 20. What is interesting abovt game five of the 1918 World Series?

Good qvestions. Too bad I don't know the answers. :)

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

"Peter Pan" in response to Jim Ward
wrote

> > 5. What author of "Amazing Grace" started out as a slaver and ended up a minister?

> John Newton

He was a slave trader, capturin' black guys from Africa,
and taking them to America, and then he was converted,
and was saved, and wrote the famous song/hymn ...
read on !

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

And he kept all the money !

I mean all the money from his slave tradin' !

So I've been led to believe.

gerson wrote:
> "Peter Pan" in response to Jim Ward
> wrote
>

>>>5. What author of "Amazing Grace" started out as a slaver and ended up a minister?
>

>>John Newton
>

> He was a slave trader, capturin' black guys from Africa,
> and taking them to America, and then he was converted,
> and was saved, and wrote the famous song/hymn ...
> read on !
>
> Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
> That saved a wretch like me!
> I once was lost, but now am found;
> Was blind, but now I see.
>
> And he kept all the money !
>
> I mean all the money from his slave tradin' !
>
> So I've been led to believe.

He heard the saying, "the Lord helps those who help themselves",
so he helped himself. :)

--Jeff

--
When I give food to the poor
they call me a saint.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?

Wasn't it a Doctor Graham who started the health food craze at Battle Creek
Michigan?

So my guess if "Graham Crackers"

Bernie

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On 4 Oct 2004 02:22:02 -0700, gcrhoads@yahoo.com (Glenn C. Rhoads)
wrote:

>Followup: How did the Great Chicago fire start?

The correct answer to that is that the cause is unknown. The
*location*, however, was the O'Leary's barn.

The urban legend is that Catherine O'Leary's cow, Daisy, kicked over a
lantern; however, that story seems to have started as a
single-sentence story the next day in the Chicago Evening Journal (the
source of which was not reported, and which reads with hindsight
suspiciously like the reporting of gossip or speculation as fact). Mrs
O'Leary and her husband both strongly and consistently denied it,
saying that they'd been in bed at the time. There's also evidence
that the fire wasn't, initially, even a particularly bad one, and it's
unlikely in the extreme that the O'Leary's (who weren't insured, and
much of whose livelihood centred around the contents of the barn in
question) would have failed to raise the alarm and attempt to deal
with the fire, had they been aware of it. The subsequent inquiry
reached no conclusion as to its cause.

Cheers - Ian

Bernie Deitrick wrote:
>> d. What breakfast food do "Battle Freaks" eat?
>

> Wasn't it a Doctor Graham who started the health food craze at Battle Creek
> Michigan?
>
> So my guess if "Graham Crackers"
>
> Bernie

No, Graham was not a doctor, and was not at Battle Creek, and Graham Crackers
we never promoted as a breakfast food. Graham's ideas is that everyone should
bake their own bread using "graham flour" for religous reasons. He was not
popular with bakeries.

Dr. John Kellogg, the inventor of Granola and (by mistake, with bother Will) Corn Flakes,
was behind the Battle Creek Sanitarium.

Although both share the property of being total wackos.

Chuck Grant

In rec.puzzles Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

>> a. What doctor's children changed their name after his death,
>> appalled by the association of it with humane execution?

> Guillotin.
>
>> b. What Civil War doctor invented a machine gun to save lives
>> ("one man could do as much battle duty as a hundred, it would
>> supersede the necessity of large armies, and exposure to battle
>> and disease would be greatly diminished")?

> Maxim?

Richard Gatling, as guessed by Keith Willoughby. He also invented a gun to
be mounted on a camel saddle.

>> c. What Edinburgh teacher was the model for Sherlock Holmes?

> Bell.

>> 8. What "analytical" inventor also developed the cowcatcher?

> Babbage.

>> 11. The night of October 8, 1871 saw the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
>> Where was it?

> Chicago.

Peshtigo, Wisconsin. Bad luck to happen on the same night as the
more famous one!

http://www.peshtigofire.info/

>> 12. Joseph L. Cowen signed away his rights for a battery operated
>> light to a business associate, who made a fortune as the American
>> Eveready Company. Cowen eventually made his fortune in model trains.
>> What is Cowen's middle name?

> Lionel.

>> 14. What lead sled dog brought the diphtheria serum to Nome?
>> What dogsled race memorializes his journey?

> The Iditarod?

The dog was named Balto, as guessed by Don Del Grande.
Another dog, named Togo didn't get as much press.

>> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
>> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?

> To save money?

It was too valuable as a radio antenna (also Don Del Grande).

>> 16. Who was the first American to discover a planet?

> See signature quote.

Planet X a.k.a. Pluto.

>> 17. A munitions inventor starred in the movie industry's first
>> skinny-dipping scene. Name the munition or the film.

> Ecstasy (actually "Extase" or some such spelling, in Czech, I think).
> Spread-spectrum telecommunications, wasn't it?
>

>> 19. What is "the Mesh" or "the Information Mine" better known as?

> The Internet.

These were Tim Bernes-Lee's early names for the "World Wide Web".

>> 20. What is interesting about game five of the 1918 World Series?

> It was a tie and this hasn't been allowed since then?

It was the first time the "Star Spangled Banner" was
played before a ball game.

In rec.pvzzles Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>> 9. This Union composer of "Jimmy Crack Corn" said of another song:
>>
>> "If I'd known to what vse they were going to pvt my song, I'd
>> be damned if I'd have written it!"
>>
>> Name the composer and the damned song.

> Dixie?

The composer was Daniel Decatvr Emmett, who also wrote "Old Dan Tvcker".

In rec.puzzles Marc Dashevsky <usenet@marcdashevsky.com> wrote:

>> 10. An actor pulled a President's son away from a train in 1864.
>> Name them both.

> John Wilkes Booth & Abraham Lincoln's son?

Close - Edwin Booth and Robert Todd Lincoln. How was Edwin related
to John Wilkes? (Did J. W. ever act?)

In rec.puzzles Don Del Grande <del_grande_news@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>3. Atilla the Hun died on his wedding night. How? Who was the bride?

> "How" was by nosebleed; "the bride" was named Ilico.

Correct!

In rec.puzzles Peter Pan <RMoebs1@compuserve.de> wrote:

>> 1. Pope Clement VIII was urged to ban what "drink of the infidels"?

> Coffee

Can you name what insurance association was started in a coffeehouse?

>> 2. The Dutch swapped a Spice Island to the English for Manhattan.
>> Name the Dutch island and the spice that made it so valuable.

> Island Run (Banda Islands); nutmeg

>> 4. Versailles was built from Louis XIV's envy over the lavish estate
>> of his Finance Minister. Name the Finance Minister and the estate.

> Jean-Baptiste Colbert

"Greatest Stories" says Nicholas Fouquet at Vaux-le-Vicomte. Fouquet was
later exiled to Italy for skimming public funds.

>> 5. What author of "Amazing Grace" started out as a slaver and ended
>> up a minister?

> John Newton

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Terry Portwain (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
<41606a1b$0$94$afc38c87@news.ukonline.co.uk>:

> 15. Why wasn't the Eiffel Tower torn down when
> the Paris Centennial Exhibition of 1889 ended?
>
> Couldnt find the right size spanner?

That figures - all the spanners available were metric but the nuts and bolts
were sized in French inches.
--
Paul Townsend
Pair them off into threes

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

In rec.puzzles Glenn C. Rhoads <gcrhoads@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> 7. Who was the first President to be targeted in an assassination attempt?
>> What future Missouri senator had shot a bullet into him
>> 22 years earlier?

> Andrew Jackson?

His would-be-assassin was Richard Lawrence. Thomas Hart Benton has put
a bullet in him earlier in a duel, they later made peace.

> Good questions. Too bad I don't know the answers. :)

Thanks! Two other questions lacking answers are:

13. Annie Oakley shot the cigarette ashes from Kaiser Wilhelm in Berlin in 1890.

18. In 1943, during a drill, the USS William D. Porter accidentally fired
a torpedo at FDR on the Iowa. From then on other ship often hailed her
with the greeting "Don't shoot - we're Republicans!".

In rec.puzzles Chuck Grant <fx4m@fx4m.con> wrote:

> No, Graham was not a doctor, and was not at Battle Creek, and Graham Crackers
> we never promoted as a breakfast food. Graham's ideas is that everyone should
> bake their own bread using "graham flour" for religous reasons. He was not
> popular with bakeries.

> Dr. John Kellogg, the inventor of Granola and (by mistake, with bother Will)
> Corn Flakes, was behind the Battle Creek Sanitarium.

> Although both share the property of being total wackos.

Correct! One of his guests at the Sanitarium stole their Corn Flakes idea and
started his own cereal company (to the exasperation of Kellogg). Can you name him?

Jim Ward wrote:
> In rec.puzzles Chuck Grant <fx4m@fx4m.con> wrote:
>

>>No, Graham was not a doctor, and was not at Battle Creek, and Graham Crackers
>>we never promoted as a breakfast food. Graham's ideas is that everyone should
>>bake their own bread using "graham flour" for religous reasons. He was not
>>popular with bakeries.
>

>>Dr. John Kellogg, the inventor of Granola and (by mistake, with bother Will)
>>Corn Flakes, was behind the Battle Creek Sanitarium.
>

>>Although both share the property of being total wackos.
>

> Correct! One of his guests at the Sanitarium stole their Corn Flakes idea and
> started his own cereal company (to the exasperation of Kellogg). Can you name him?

At a guess, Wilbur Post?

--
Mark Thornquist