USB external drive not recognized

I installed an a 2.5 Toshiba notebook drive in a external enclosure and I can't
get XP to recognize it. The drive spins up and the light comes on to indicate
it is running but nothing is shown in device manager or My computer. It also is
not shown in disk management. I have uninstalled the the USB drivers through
the device manager with no change after rebooting. The USB ports work fine with
my other external drive. The drive was working fine in a notebook that had a
cracked screen. It is formated in NTFS. What else should I be looking at to
solve this problem?

Neal
4 answers Last reply
More about external drive recognized

    When detecting new hardware, is it like the Windows is able to find the USB
    case but not being able to find the Harddisk?

    Power. It seems that your USB casing does not get *enough* power.

    "Neal" <Neal@hotmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:egDK5fdKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I installed an a 2.5 Toshiba notebook drive in a external enclosure and I
    >can't get XP to recognize it. The drive spins up and the light comes on to
    >indicate it is running but nothing is shown in device manager or My
    >computer. It also is not shown in disk management. I have uninstalled the
    >the USB drivers through the device manager with no change after rebooting.
    >The USB ports work fine with my other external drive. The drive was
    >working fine in a notebook that had a cracked screen. It is formated in
    >NTFS. What else should I be looking at to solve this problem?
    >
    > Neal

    I have it plugged directly into the back of the computer which should provide
    more than enough power. Windows does not detect anything when the drive is
    plugged in.
    Neal

    "3legs" <3legs@askme.com> wrote in message
    > When detecting new hardware, is it like the Windows is able to find the USB
    > case but not being able to find the Harddisk?
    >
    > Power. It seems that your USB casing does not get *enough* power.
    >

    > "Neal" <Neal@hotmail.com>
    > ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:egDK5fdKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>I installed an a 2.5 Toshiba notebook drive in a external enclosure and I
    >>can't get XP to recognize it. The drive spins up and the light comes on to
    >>indicate it is running but nothing is shown in device manager or My computer.
    >>It also is not shown in disk management. I have uninstalled the the USB
    >>drivers through the device manager with no change after rebooting. The USB
    >>ports work fine with my other external drive. The drive was working fine in
    >>a notebook that had a cracked screen. It is formated in NTFS. What else
    >>should I be looking at to solve this problem?
    >>
    >> Neal

    Some USB cases provide a second socket for your to plug in additional power
    via PS/2 or another USB. I have had the experience that one single USB
    connection does not provide enough power for a 20GB 5400rpm hard dirve. The
    solution is simple -- make use of the power slot.

    "Neal" <Neal@hotmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:e384prdKFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I have it plugged directly into the back of the computer which should
    >provide more than enough power. Windows does not detect anything when the
    >drive is plugged in.
    > Neal
  4. When I plug my usb into the port, I get a message that indicates that the computer does not recognize the device and it is manfunctioned. What should I do in this case? I have lot of information on my usb (8. It is not backup anywhere else. Is there anyway I can get the data off of the usb?

    Calvin

USB Windows XP