14 Things

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
by Russ Kick.

1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?

2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?

3. The U.S. Air Force Special Weapons Center Project A119 and
the Soviet Project E-4 was about nuking what?

4. Where was the peace treaty for the Korean War signed?

5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
Name the universities.

6. The original Auschwitz tattoo numbers were generated by
what company's equipment?

7. In what U.S. state are the sons of Hilter's nephews living?

8. What colonists were cannibals in 1609?

9. Name a country where the age of consent < 14.
Name a country where the age of consent > 18.

10. Approximately how many times more radiation do you get
from a CAT scan compared to a chest X-ray?

11. What was Bayer's best-selling drug before they released
aspirin?

12. What author of "Contact" was an avid pot smoker?

13. The U.S. Army asked the screenwriter of "Black Hawk Down"
to change the name of the Special Forces soldier played
by Ewan McGregor. Why?

14. What exponent of the GAIA hypothesis is a big fan of
nuclear energy?

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <ckhhsh$l77$1@news1.radix.net>,
Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:
>These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
>by Russ Kick.
>
>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?

The commandments are divided differently depending on which religion
and denomination you are. Most seem to agree it's about coveting,
although one source claims it's about cooking a kid in its mothers
milk. I'm too lazy to go back to even translated primary sources.

>2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?

Anton LaVey. (Wild guess)

>3. The U.S. Air Force Special Weapons Center Project A119 and
> the Soviet Project E-4 was about nuking what?

The Moon.

>4. Where was the peace treaty for the Korean War signed?

It ain't over yet.

>5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
> Name the universities.

Kent State is the obvious one... maybe American University in Tehran?

>6. The original Auschwitz tattoo numbers were generated by
> what company's equipment?

IBM.

>7. In what U.S. state are the sons of Hilter's nephews living?

New York

>8. What colonists were cannibals in 1609?

Hey, who wasn't?

>9. Name a country where the age of consent < 14.
> Name a country where the age of consent > 18.

The USA once worked in both cases. Not sure about now. (besides,
consent to do what, precisely?)

>10. Approximately how many times more radiation do you get
> from a CAT scan compared to a chest X-ray?

Too many variables. One source reports that a "whole body" cat scan
exposes you to 100 times more radiation than a "typical" X-ray. But a
CT scan can be done at different radiation levels and different
resolutions, and of course over different parts of the body, meaning
dose varies widely.

>11. What was Bayer's best-selling drug before they released
> aspirin?

Heroin.

>12. What author of "Contact" was an avid pot smoker?

Carl Sagan.

>13. The U.S. Army asked the screenwriter of "Black Hawk Down"
> to change the name of the Special Forces soldier played
> by Ewan McGregor. Why?

Um, the guys in the black helicopter are telling me not to answer that.

>14. What exponent of the GAIA hypothesis is a big fan of
> nuclear energy?

Lovelock.

"Matthew Russotto" <russotto@grace.speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> In article <ckhhsh$l77$1@news1.radix.net>,
> Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:
> >These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
> >by Russ Kick.

Not clear why we're not supposed to know them -- they look like a pretty
mixed bag to me.

> >5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
> > Name the universities.
>
> Kent State is the obvious one... maybe American University in Tehran?

Jackson State in Missisiisiippiii. But "massacre" is a bit extreme.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <ckhhsh$l77$1@news1.radix.net>,
Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote:
>These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
>by Russ Kick.

>2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?

Alexander?

Actually I was just being a smartass here, but now I'm wondering if
_Eloisa to Abelard_ would count.

>6. The original Auschwitz tattoo numbers were generated by
> what company's equipment?

IBM, probably.

>12. What author of "Contact" was an avid pot smoker?

Carl Sagan. Oddly worded question. He was the only author of Contact.

>14. What exponent of the GAIA hypothesis is a big fan of
> nuclear energy?

Crud, I can't remember his name. James Havelock?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <ckhhsh$l77$1@news1.radix.net>, tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com says...
> These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
> by Russ Kick.
>
> 1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
>
> 2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?
>
> 3. The U.S. Air Force Special Weapons Center Project A119 and
> the Soviet Project E-4 was about nuking what?
>
> 4. Where was the peace treaty for the Korean War signed?

There is no peace treaty.

> 5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
> Name the universities.
>
> 6. The original Auschwitz tattoo numbers were generated by
> what company's equipment?

I.B.M.

> 7. In what U.S. state are the sons of Hilter's nephews living?
>
> 8. What colonists were cannibals in 1609?

Jamestown

> 9. Name a country where the age of consent < 14.
> Name a country where the age of consent > 18.
>
> 10. Approximately how many times more radiation do you get
> from a CAT scan compared to a chest X-ray?

100

> 11. What was Bayer's best-selling drug before they released
> aspirin?

Codeine

> 12. What author of "Contact" was an avid pot smoker?

Carl Sagan

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Jim Ward wrote:

> These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
> by Russ Kick.

> 2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?

Borgia?

"I've got your picture on my wall, I've got your name upon my scarf"

In rec.games.trivia Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@nyoashpoaom.com> wrote:

: 7. In what U.S. state are the sons of Hilter's nephews living?

Do they live next door to the sons of Ron Vibbentrop's nephews?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time." -- The French Knight

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward:
>> 5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
>> Name the universities.

Matthew Russotto:
> Kent State is the obvious one... maybe American University in Tehran?

And the University of Texas at Austin is the other obvious one.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
msb@vex.net | you haven't thought of." -- David Slocombe

Mark Brader wrote:

> Jim Ward:
>>> 5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two
>>> universities. Name the universities.
>
> Matthew Russotto:
>> Kent State is the obvious one... maybe American University in
>> Tehran?
>
> And the University of Texas at Austin is the other obvious one.

Off-hand, I don't recall a massacre at UT in 1970. If you're
thinking of the guy who got up in the tower with a bunch of
rifles and started blazing away at pedestrians below, that was in
1966.

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Mark Brader:
> > And the University of Texas at Austin is the other obvious one.

Dan Tilque:

Well, I said "obvious"; I didn't say anything about "correct"! :)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is.
msb@vex.net | -- Bill Clinton

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in

> 9. Name a country where the age of consent < 14.
> Name a country where the age of consent > 18.

According to this table, there are several countries falling into those
categories:

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

The table seem to me to have some obvious errors though, so I'm not sure
how accurate it is for all countries.

Tor-Einar

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

* Tor-Einar Jarnbjo
> Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in
>
> > 9. Name a country where the age of consent < 14.
> > Name a country where the age of consent > 18.
>
> According to this table, there are several countries falling into those
> categories:
>
> http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm
>
> The table seem to me to have some obvious errors though, so I'm not sure
> how accurate it is for all countries.

(Which obvious errors?) I could see only one where the age is > 18
(Tunisia).

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug@ifi.uio.no

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

On 12 Oct 2004 21:21:21 GMT, Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com>
wrote:

>These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
>by Russ Kick.
>
>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?

No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain

Cheers - Ian

Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12 Oct 2004 21:21:21 GMT, Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com>
>wrote:
>
>>These questions were suggested by "50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know"
>>by Russ Kick.
>>
>>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
>
>No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain

"Thou shalt not drop and break this stone tablet"
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

In rec.games.trivia Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:

:>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
:
: No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain

May I suggest that, before making such statements in the future, you
take a look at Exodus 20:14, Exodus 31:18, and Exodus 32:15-19?

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <ckvj65$790$2@news.iucc.ac.il>,
schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> :>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
> :
> : No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain
>
> May I suggest that, before making such statements in the future, you
> take a look at Exodus 20:14, Exodus 31:18, and Exodus 32:15-19?

Well, either that or you need to think about the different possible
meanings of "breaking a commandment."

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <ckvj65$790$2@news.iucc.ac.il>,
schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:

> In rec.games.trivia Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> :>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
> :
> : No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain
>
> May I suggest that, before making such statements in the future, you
> take a look at Exodus 20:14, Exodus 31:18, and Exodus 32:15-19?

Oh, and maybe you shouldn't quote works of fiction in a historical
debate.

Jim Ward <tomcatpolka@NyOaShPoAoM.com> wrote in message news:<ckhhsh$l77$1@news1.radix.net>...

> 13. The U.S. Army asked the screenwriter of "Black Hawk Down"
> to change the name of the Special Forces soldier played
> by Ewan McGregor. Why?

Ewan McGregor played "John Grimes" in the movie. The character was
based on John Stebbins in real life. They changed the name because
John Stebbins was convicted of raping a girl under the age of 12.

In rec.puzzles Matthew Russotto <russotto@grace.speakeasy.net> wrote:

>>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?

> The commandments are divided differently depending on which religion
> and denomination you are. Most seem to agree it's about coveting,
> although one source claims it's about cooking a kid in its mothers
> milk. I'm too lazy to go back to even translated primary sources.

I was trolling for Exodus 34:26 - "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk."
Not something I'm likely to do ...

>>2. Which Pope previously wrote an erotic bestseller?

> Anton LaVey. (Wild guess)

Before he was Pius II, Aeneas Piccolomini wrote "Historia de duobus amantibus",
about an illicit courtly love affair.

http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/objects/o143395.html

>>3. The U.S. Air Force Special Weapons Center Project A119 and
>> the Soviet Project E-4 was about nuking what?

> The Moon.

Carl Sagan was one of the scientists behind the project, the point of
which was to awe the Soviets. Edward Teller thought we would learn
something by studing the seismic waves created.

>>4. Where was the peace treaty for the Korean War signed?

> It ain't over yet.

Technically they're still under an armistice.

>>6. The original Auschwitz tattoo numbers were generated by
>> what company's equipment?

> IBM.

A punch card system was used. So many inmates died, the Nazis
gave up on automation.

>>7. In what U.S. state are the sons of Hilter's nephews living?

> New York

They book doesn't say what cities, somewhere on Long Island.

>>10. Approximately how many times more radiation do you get
>> from a CAT scan compared to a chest X-ray?

> Too many variables. One source reports that a "whole body" cat scan
> exposes you to 100 times more radiation than a "typical" X-ray. But a
> CT scan can be done at different radiation levels and different
> resolutions, and of course over different parts of the body, meaning
> dose varies widely.

I was looking for 100-250. Only 22% of doctors surveyed got it right
(most guessed about 10 times).

>>11. What was Bayer's best-selling drug before they released
>> aspirin?

> Heroin.

Aspirin was invented, but Bayer pushed heroin to market first
because they could make more money.

>>12. What author of "Contact" was an avid pot smoker?

> Carl Sagan.

He contributed an anonymous essay to "Marihuana Reconsidered",
a 1971 book on the benefits of reefer. One biographer claims that
"Dragons of Eden" was written while he was high.

>>14. What exponent of the GAIA hypothesis is a big fan of
>> nuclear energy?

> Lovelock.

He suggests storing nuclear waste in forested area because then
people won't live there - Chenobyl is now rich in wildlife.

In rec.puzzles Jess Askin <nospam@dontbother.net> wrote:

>> >5. In 1970, American students were massacred at two universities.
>> > Name the universities.
>>
>> Kent State is the obvious one... maybe American University in Tehran?

> Jackson State in Missisiisiippiii. But "massacre" is a bit extreme.

Yes. Hey, massacre sounds better if you want to sell books! The students
at (historically black) Jackson State were also protesting racism. Another
mass-shooting took place two years before at South Carolina State University,
from an integration protest.

In rec.puzzles Marc Dashevsky <usenet@marcdashevsky.com> wrote:

>> 8. What colonists were cannibals in 1609?

> Jamestown

Some were so hungry they dug up recent graves.

In rec.puzzles Jeff Martin <jeff@triple20software.com> wrote:

>> 13. The U.S. Army asked the screenwriter of "Black Hawk Down"
>> to change the name of the Special Forces soldier played
>> by Ewan McGregor. Why?
>>

> Ewan McGregor played "John Grimes" in the movie. The character was
> based on John Stebbins in real life. They changed the name because
> John Stebbins was convicted of raping a girl under the age of 12.

Yes. Other tabloid-ish chapters from the book:

Winston Churchill Believed in a Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy
World War III almost started in 1995 (from a Norwegian rocket)
Many of the Pioneering Feminists Opposed Abortion
The Police Aren't Legally Obligated to Protect You
Most Scientists Don't Read All of the Articles They Cite
Work Kills More People Than War

Harold Buck schrieb:
> In article <ckvj65$790$2@news.iucc.ac.il>,
> schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:
> > In rec.games.trivia Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:
> > :>1. On Moses' stone tablets, what was the tenth commandment?
> > :
> > : No-one knows. He broke it on the way down the mountain
> >
> > May I suggest that, before making such statements in the future, you
> > take a look at Exodus 20:14, Exodus 31:18, and Exodus 32:15-19?
>
> Oh, and maybe you shouldn't quote works of fiction in a historical
> debate.

Well, most history books from that area have, to a greater or lesser
extent, fiction in them.

ObPuzzle: Which book mentions that elks have no knees, so they sleep
leaning on trees?

Michael
--
Still an attentive ear he lent Her speech hath caused this pain
But could not fathom what she meant Easier I count it to explain

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <417425F9.A1E7322F@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de>,
Michael Mendelsohn <a2004@michael.mendelsohn.de> wrote:

>ObPuzzle: Which book mentions that elks have no knees, so they sleep
>leaning on trees?

Julius Caesar, The Gallic War, book VI: see
<http://www.romansonline.com/Src_frame.asp?DocID=Dbg_Bk06_27>

Robert Israel israel@math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada

Michael Mendelsohn <keine.Werbung.1300@msgid.michael.mendelsohn.de> writes:
> ObPuzzle: Which book mentions that

> elks have no knees,
> so they sleep leaning on trees?

A rhyming doublet on the loose,
Wild and free, like Dr. Seuss.

It might just be "If I ran the zoo",
So that the answer I'll give to you.

I pulled this answer from my arse.
Did I fail, or did I pass?

Phil
--
They no longer do my traditional winks tournament lunch - liver and bacon.
It's just what you need during a winks tournament lunchtime to replace lost