Will there ever be 128 bit color depth?

zc3

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Or for that matter 64 bit? I'm not sure if it's video card related or monitor related, but why is 32 bit the highest that can be chosen?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, we do currently have 96-bit and 128-bit FP colour video cards.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

However most RAMDACs only display 40bit (10bit per colour channel) so it's nce fr calculation but how is it being displayed. So in answer to the original question it's the display (and getting it TO displays) that is the problem.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
for doing complex calculations, you need high precicion to store the (intermediate) values. thats where the 128bit colourbuffers get needed.
but for showing the gamma-corrected compressed non-linear colourspace, 32 or 40 bit are enough.

as the final desktop colourdepth is just to show the final image, not to do calculations on it, we never need to choose more than 32 or 40bit at max then. or possibly 64, just.. to have.. enough.

64bit end-buffer will be important at the moment we get "real" screens. means, screens that you can feed with a linear colourspaced image.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
You may wonder if the human eye can differentiate between colors at more than 32 bits, well, it can!
<A HREF="http://www.tlspatranet.gr/tsirman/wallpapers/Windows XP Logo - Glass.jpg" target="_new"> see this picture </A>
Look at the top right corner, see how you can see radial marks? That's a sign of a too low color depth which you usualy see on 8 and 16 bit pictures, but you here you can see it on a picture that's 32 bits (24 bits).

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I seriously doubt there will be anything beyond 32-bit true color (in an actual digital form or state). That is because 32-bit color is <b>16 million</b> colors. 16-bit high color is 65,000

You could have more than 32 bits per pixel, but there are not that many shades, tints, and variations of actual colors in existance to have much more than 16 millions (like, light green, dark green, neon green, etc...) If you've ever taken any art or painting classes or anything, they'll tell you about Prime colors and what not.

Can you even imagine what the palette for 16 million colors would be like? Looking at each and every single one? Heck I'm not even sure the industry is telling the truth about this.

Considering that a box of caryons usually consist of less than 50 colors, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be able to put colors of any actual difference into a computer and have more than the 32 bit that we do today.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Dave, you post so early in the morning, I'd almost think you live in Europe. Speaking of which, do you live in Europe? IF so, which country?

Wow, Edited a 2nd time!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by UFO_WARVIPER on 09/06/03 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Check the profile.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Err... good point. LOL, I didn't know davepermen was a YODELER!!! Could you show off your talent Dave?

[Encores davepermen's Yodeling opera presetned @ the "Alps of Switzerland Music Studio"]

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Actually, color depth on a monitor is nothing like art classes! I can tell you though that the human eye can see the difference between to shades that the computer will classify as the same color, that doesn't mean that a person can count a billion different colors.
What I'm trying to say is that the amount of colors a person can see or the monitor can display is irrelevant. What is important is that you get a real life like picture with no distortions, and for that you need many colors.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

Don't give me your Crayola analogy it's 'childish'. There are definitely over 16 million shades of colour, the question is just how much those little differences are appreciated by human vision. I'd say we're pretty close to the end of our spectrum, but there's still a ways to go.

BTW, don't ask a painter/artist, ask a photographer, they likely have more eperience with colour than the large majority of painters who worry about complimentary and contrasts on a colour wheel. Whoopee! Painters and most artists look at their work from far away, photographers look at their work with magnifying glasses (even on enlarged prints) to make sure that their pictures are as close to perfect as possible. Ask a digital photographer/publisher if 32 bit versus 32+ bit makes a diff.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Wish more people put their locations in the profile, usually it just says their name and rank. It would give you an idea of what you can recommedn based on where they live because some cards aren't availible in EU/ASIA/etc. and especially when talking TV/VIDEO standards, I never know wherether to talk PAL/NTSC/SECAM(MESECAM) etc.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
[unrealistic wish] ...........Only if Crayola had a big box of colours with as many shades as 32-bit color [/unrealistic wish]

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
More than 32 bit will be 100% useless.

16 bit color is OK in 90% case.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
More than 32 bit will be 100% useless.

16 bit color is OK in 90% case.
.. 40bits will be all we need, for a nonlinear colourspace.

then, we will have more than the eye can see, with 32bits (actually 24bits), we're not sure about this. its at the edge.. (40bits == 30bits colour.. or the matrox way, 32bits with 30bits colour).

now, one thing is, we should drop the non-linear colourspace alltogether, it makes much problems and conversions needed. instead, put the gamma correction directly into the screen, as every screen "knows" about its own gamma.

sgi systems work that way.

then, 64bit colour would be enough.

BUT this is just for the ending screenbuffer! don't forget that, to do any pixelshading, we need the same buffers for multipass and for postimageprocessing effects, where we reuse its data. and THAT is where we need much higher precicion, as today, you don't store simply the colour in the colourbuffer, you store positions, you store distances, you store lighting, all you want. its just a buffer. and there we need a simple 32bit float rgba buffer == 128bit buffer.

oh, and, i don't listen to swiss country sound. i listen to trance (i'm even getting a dj:D).

currently, i'm listening to "dj sequenza - ich schmelze/i'm gone"

and, i'm listening to dido - white flag, too.. beautiful song..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com